1. Post #1
    July 2010
    332 Posts
    Male, 20 here. Currently 238lbs. Managed to lose 21lbs over two months last summer. But then put it back on.

Basically i want to give weight loss another go and tone up slightly, although not too bothered about muscle gain. Although if toning up means i'll lose body fat more efficiently thats a bonus. Instead of going on a real strict diet/workout routine id rather make more subtle changes to my diet and work out more, lose weight slow and regular so im more likely to stick with it. I'm living with my parents for 3 weeks so im pretty much forced to eat well and im thinking of doing something quite strict for these 3 weeks until i go back to Uni.

So the question is, should i do short intense workouts, im thinking of fitting as many squat jumps, mountain climbers and weights into 10-15mins. Or would 1-2 hours of cycling and weights be more effective? During these 3 weeks i don't have access to a gym, just some weights my bro has. I don't have much time since i'm really busy.

So yeah, will short really intense workouts work well? Should i do them every day? I can do them all at home so i can do it when i go back to uni and carry on etc. Afaik, you get some good calorie afterburn from intense workouts so you're burning cals for the rest of the day? Oh yeah, and im thinking of doing it in the morning 30 mins - 1 hour after breakfast, before i shower, so the afterburn lasts for the whole day.

As for food, im just going to be eating 3-4 small/medium sized meals. Eating more fish/meat and reducing fat/carbs. Also i like to drink with my friends every now and again. Should i just avoid beer/cider and go for spirits?

Just tell me what you think i should do. Theres so much stuff out there that can misinform people, this i my first attempt at asking some fellow FPs :)

Cheers guys,
    Rez

EDIT: Just realised i should have posted this in general questions thread :x Oh well, iv made this now, hopefully its not that bad :o

2. Post #2
    January 2008
    1,130 Posts
    Look up HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Look up HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).
    yeeaaah let's suggest extremely taxing work to a obese guy that's not going to go bad at all

Dude you're on the right track mostly, keep the dieting up, lift iron, do light cardio work every few days, be more active in general.

Once you start shifting serious weight, then you can start looking at more intense anaerobic work if you wish.

Edited:

As for alcohol, I'd avoid it completely, but one or two beers with your friends on the weekends isnt going to kill your progress.

Just dont let those one or two turn into a couple of slabs later + atypical food for drnks to eat.

4. Post #4
    July 2010
    332 Posts
    yeeaaah let's suggest extremely taxing work to a obese guy that's not going to go bad at all

Dude you're on the right track mostly, keep the dieting up, lift iron, do light cardio work every few days, be more active in general.

Once you start shifting serious weight, then you can start looking at more intense anaerobic work if you wish.

Edited:

As for alcohol, I'd avoid it completely, but one or two beers with your friends on the weekends isnt going to kill your progress.

Just dont let those one or two turn into a couple of slabs later + atypical food for drnks to eat.

Cool thanks man. Does doing weights really help weight loss? :o I'm going to assume because its the repairing of the muscles that burns the fat? Can you recommend me any thing in particular, like a routine. I usually find it much much easier if i have a constant routine that i do every time, i dunno why just makes it easier for me to stick at stuff when im being told EXACTLY what to do.

I dont mind treating myself with beer and stuff every now and again as long as i dont actually put the weight back on. If i halt it for a day or two, i dont mind, its just adding weight that iv lost is what im worried about.

Also note: I cant do pushups since my left elbow has something wrong with it, something to do with the plates in my elbow locking up then sliding. But everything else arm related is usually fine. Also im quite active usually, i dont sit in front of my PC all the time :P. I do quite a bit of walking on a regular basis, and a bit of cycling here and there. Plus im a metal drummer so that footwork is quite intense for the most part. My legs are quite beasty ;).

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,610 Posts
    Nutrition is key if you want to keep the fat off. Here's an important tip to better health and keeping fit:

Take out all the shit in your diet. Sugary, fatty, sodium packed, simple carbs can add up easily, so just avoid it all together. In a few months time, where you would normally have consumed thousands of calories in junk and added on a few pounds, you'd have a cleaner diet, more consitent energy levels and a stable mood throughout the day.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,325 Posts
    what I don't get is why people think cardio is the holy grail to weight loss

a good lifting session could burn up to 700

7. Post #7
    July 2010
    332 Posts

I'm guessing its just a matter of being misinformed. I knew weights helped towards weight loss, just not to the extent that it does.

I'm pretty sure most people just assume that weights is just about building muscle and that cardio burns fat for the obvious reasons. Gonna start doing more weights i recon.

8. Post #8
    April 2011
    567 Posts

wat

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    284 Posts

really? wow i didnt know that, what defines a good lifting session?

10. Post #10
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    really? wow i didnt know that, what defines a good lifting session?
    When you burn 700 calories.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    April 2011
    567 Posts
    When you burn 700 calories.
    i would be in heaven if a 1 hour a day routine could burn 700 calories

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    op, just get some amphetamines, you don't have to do shit.

13. Post #13
    April 2011
    567 Posts
    i cant even argue with that because its p true

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    332 Posts
    Started reading up on it, was like, "oh this seems cool". Then i read that its referred to as speed on the 'street', was instantly like, "oh....", ^^

EDIT: Read a bit more on it, so basically it just cuts your appetite? And makes you want to move more aswell? Iv never done speed so i wouldn't know.

Seems a bit silly, but i may be wrong. If it cuts your appetite you're effectively starving yourself, and from what iv read, starving yourself is really bad for weight loss if you want to keep it off when you stop taking them. I'd like some info from you guys if you have any experience with it :)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    lmao ur dum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2010
    332 Posts
    lmao ur dum
    Care to elaborate? Posts like that dont tend to help anyone.

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    You didn't know what amphetamines were but you knew what speed was.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts
    Started reading up on it, was like, "oh this seems cool". Then i read that its referred to as speed on the 'street', was instantly like, "oh....", ^^

EDIT: Read a bit more on it, so basically it just cuts your appetite? And makes you want to move more aswell? Iv never done speed so i wouldn't know.

Seems a bit silly, but i may be wrong. If it cuts your appetite you're effectively starving yourself, and from what iv read, starving yourself is really bad for weight loss if you want to keep it off when you stop taking them. I'd like some info from you guys if you have any experience with it :)
    Yeah, it's a hard drug. You should not try it, it will probably kill you and give your family AIDS.

19. Post #19
    July 2010
    332 Posts
    How many people do you know that take it recreationally and actually refer to it as amphetamines?

I dont know anyone, and as someone whos never done drugs iv never researched into it, so i wouldnt be likely to know :/

Yeah, it's a hard drug. You should not try it, it will probably kill you and give your family AIDS.
    Hahaha

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    i call them uppers.

"speed" refers to methamphetamine, which is like amphetamine, just you get to keep your teeth with amphetamines

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,142 Posts
    Dad died of a methamphetamine overdose. Fuck that noise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    it's the meth's fault when your dad is the one who overdosed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    May 2010
    1,301 Posts
    He can still be against something that can become easily abused and lead to death.

24. Post #24
    January 2008
    1,130 Posts
    He can still be against something that can become easily abused and lead to death.
    You should never be against a drug, whether it has medicinal or recreational use.
    It's your body, your responsibility and your choice.
    Being misinformed or spreading misinformation is what's the problem.

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    You should never be against a drug, whether it has medicinal or recreational use.
    It's your body, your responsibility and your choice.
    Being misinformed or spreading misinformation is what's the problem.
    I certainly can be against a drug. There are many terrible drugs out there that have no business being used for recreation, just as there are many drugs that are wrongly demonized.

That's kind of a silly thing to say to be honest. If you want to be able to do whatever the fuck you want to do, please go leave society and live out in the wilderness, then we don't have to deal with the potential repercussions of your carelessness.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    no it's just dumb people misusing them.

stop dipping into things you don't know dick about lol

also i have lived out in the wilderness for a pretty long time, it wasn't that great.

27. Post #27
    January 2008
    1,130 Posts
    If you want to be able to do whatever the fuck you want to do, please go leave society and live out in the wilderness, then we don't have to deal with the potential repercussions of your carelessness.
    I was talking about your own body, you should be able to do what you want with it that doesn't mean you can do the fuck you want in life. Like I said misinformation and being misinformed is what potentially leads to drug misuse. Before doing any drug it's important to be well informed, know the benefits, consequences etc.. Kind of the opposite of being careless don't you think?

no it's just dumb people misusing them.

stop dipping into things you don't know dick about lol

also i have lived out in the wilderness for a pretty long time, it wasn't that great.
    Was that pointed towards me? If so, you said it yourself 'dumb people misusing them'.
    Not being well informed before doing a drug is always dumb and can lead to misuse.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    naw dude jaeger doesn't know dick.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,142 Posts
    According to the coroner of Riverside County, California, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    guns don't pull their own trigger and meth doesn't stick a gun to your head forcing you to shoot up