1. Post #121
    January 2010
    3,066 Posts
    i took op's advice now i live in a trailer, thanks op
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    December 2009
    8,000 Posts
    fuck you,I want that Nissan GTR Spec-V

3. Post #123
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    i took op's advice now i live in a trailer, thanks op
    Wow you bought a whole trailer from saving up? Oh wait.

Edited:

fuck you,I want that Nissan GTR Spec-V
    Buy American faggot, we might purchase the parts from overseas, but it's the closest thing you can get to not being a fa-

Nevermind, I remembered what my username was half way through this post.

4. Post #124
    December 2008
    610 Posts
    The fact that conclusions like this are being drawn is a clear indication that I have failed to accurately express my point.
    By the sounds of it, you fail at most things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    August 2010
    1,836 Posts
    "Investing" is the stupidest shit you can bring up in this discussion, a normal high school student isn't going to be investing in shit, because you need a substantial amount of money to make any real investment.

What are you going to do? "Invest" in a bet that Becky will get pregnant before senior year? Are you stupid?

Edited:

Actually, if any of you can tell me of a way I can legitimately "invest" my money, please, tell me right now, because I'd love to be more financially diverse. Seriously.
    If you can scrape together $3,000 start up a Roth IRA.
    Shit will be worth a billionty dollars when you go to retire.
    The earlier you get your money in, the better.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatweoffer/ira

Also, set up a savings account through ING. They offer pretty high rates of return for money in their accounts compared to normal savings accounts. It's only 1% APY right now, but before the economy took a shit it was 3.8%.

http://home.ingdirect.com/products/p...SavingsAccount

You could also get a CD through ING, but the rate of return on CDs is really low right now because the Fed keeps lowering interest rates.

http://home.ingdirect.com/products/p...asp?s=OrangeCD

6. Post #126
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    You don't have to be super-wealthy to invest. You can do Foreign Exchange or play the stock market...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Oh sweet, thanks. I'll talk to my banker about some other details and look into it.

Edited:

You don't have to be super-wealthy to invest. You can do Foreign Exchange or play the stock market...?
    You don't want to do that on very little money, the turn out won't be sufficient, as you'll still have to pay a broker.

8. Post #128
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,073 Posts
    A warning to high school students: Stop "saving", "invest"
    That's a good "idea".

9. Post #129
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    That's a good "idea".
    I'd say it's a "splendid" idea.

10. Post #130
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    By the sounds of it, you fail at most things.
    What a reasonable and mature contribution to the thread.

I'll admit that a lot of what has been said here has changed my mind a bit, so thanks to those of you who gave reasonable counter-arguments. My point has been misinterpreted, but even if it was properly interpreted, I don't think I would say the same thing again.

What I should have posted about was taking financial responsibility for yourself at an early age; working on honing your personal economic skills, and learning how to spend, save, invest, and survive at a manageable rate. Instead, I basically made a poorly written contradiction to these beliefs, and it has been received as such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    December 2008
    610 Posts
    What a reasonable and mature contribution to the thread.
    To a pointless and incorrect thread, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    Pointless? I hardly see how this was pointless. I had a legitimate point to make, I just did a horrible job of doing so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    August 2009
    173 Posts
    get a scholarship

14. Post #134
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,889 Posts
    Instead of insisting that nobody actually understands what you were trying to say, either admit that we are right about what we say, or clarify your point.
    Saying "You're just misinterpreting me" is a really weak argument without proof to back it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    August 2010
    1,836 Posts
    You don't want to do that on very little money, the turn out won't be sufficient, as you'll still have to pay a broker.
    100% correct.
    Good for you for knowing that! It took me a while to figure that out.

Unless you are trading large amounts and making quick trades, broker fees eat up a lot of your "profit" from stocks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    Instead of insisting that nobody actually understands what you were trying to say, either admit that we are right about what we say, or clarify your point.
    Saying "You're just misinterpreting me" is a really weak argument without proof to back it up.
    You are all correct about what you're saying. It's just what most of you have been saying is not really pertinent to what I intended to say. And I did clarify, a couple pages ago.

But I just admitted that I now see that even what I "meant to say" is wrong. What more do you want?

17. Post #137
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    100% correct.
    Good for you for knowing that! It took me a while to figure that out.

Unless you are trading large amounts and making quick trades, broker fees eat up a lot of your "profit" from stocks.
    Yeah this is one thing I had to learn early on, as I wanted to ride the waves a while back, too.

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,943 Posts
    Read this as stop shaving, grew a neckbeard.

thanks alot op.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #139
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,988 Posts
    I think the primary point is that if you pursue higher education, you can make money so much more quickly. And that spending your time working a minimum wage job for a year to make a couple thousand dollars, you will eventually be making that in a couple months.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,530 Posts
    Saving is for poor people.
    It's funny because my dad makes 170,000 dollars a year, yet we barely have enough money to buy food.

21. Post #141
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    It's funny because my dad makes 170,000 dollars a year, yet we barely have enough money to buy food.
    What on earth does he spend it on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #142
    I am no one's bitch now! AHAHA!
    October 2008
    4,143 Posts
    no i'm going to save my money i already have over $400 dollars.

23. Post #143
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,510 Posts
    I help pay household bills, if I don't save all the remainder I will never be able to get a new computer.

24. Post #144
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    I help pay household bills, if I don't save all the remainder I will never be able to get a new computer.
    Yeah, saving for a single item is fine. I do that all the time. I was mainly just talking about saving for general living with no specific goal in mind.

25. Post #145
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,554 Posts
    op has never had a job

* full time job

26. Post #146
    September 2009
    12,243 Posts
    I can have sex with a 1,000 fat chicks for 100 bucks each.

27. Post #147
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,638 Posts
    Actually, if any of you can tell me of a way I can legitimately "invest" my money, please, tell me right now, because I'd love to be more financially diverse. Seriously.
    geez, stick your money in a long term deposit.
    put money in a high interest account.
    put money into stock market if you're smart.

geez.

Edited:

i dont think anyone is talking about investment in the property market, or anything that requires a high amount of capital to get involved with like you're suggesting.

28. Post #148
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    op has never had a job

* full time job
    You're right, and I don't think there's many people that have full-time jobs during college.

Especially considering that this thread was written for high school students, I'm clearly not going to use wages for a full-time salary.

29. Post #149
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,554 Posts
    You're right, and I don't think there's many people that have full-time jobs during college.

Especially considering that this thread was written for high school students, I'm clearly not going to use wages for a full-time salary.
    I had one before I started uni and the money I saved from it has helped immensely

every penny counts bro, don't tell people to piss their savings away

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,990 Posts
    This...is really stupid...I mean REALLY stupid. I'd rather save my money than spend it all. In fact that's what I did. So when i actually finish college, I have some fucking cash to MOVE somewhere.

31. Post #151
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    I had one before I started uni and the money I saved from it has helped immensely

every penny counts bro, don't tell people to piss their savings away
    I don't doubt you did, it's just uncommon. And I didn't mean to "tell people to piss their savings away", as I've said many times already.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,990 Posts
    I don't doubt you did, it's just uncommon. And I didn't mean to "tell people to piss their savings away", as I've said many times already.
    Your OP made it sound like it was a fruitless effort to save money

33. Post #153
    December 2009
    859 Posts
    OP just said stop saving, I'm not even going to college. I doubt your "not saving" method would work very well for me you idiot. Or maybe all of the military will just add up to 30,000 a year.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    OP, please never become a financial planner or accountant

your clients would kill you

35. Post #155
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    Your OP made it sound like it was a fruitless effort to save money
    I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I wrote it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. My brain doesn't function properly in the wee hours of the morning.

36. Post #156
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,638 Posts
    OP, please never become a financial planner or accountant

your clients would kill you
    65 years old
    time to retire

looks in superannuation fund
    "wait where's all the money?"

"oh yeah, i didn't save any"

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,530 Posts
    What on earth does he spend it on?
    He got in a lot of debt somehow.

38. Post #158
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    65 years old
    time to retire

looks in superannuation fund
    "wait where's all the money?"

"oh yeah, i didn't save any"
    If there's any point I certainly did not make, it's that. The OP refers only to the 2-3 year window before college, and I stated explicitly the value in saving.

39. Post #159
    April 2005
    9,638 Posts
    If there's any point I certainly did not make, it's that. The OP refers only to the 2-3 year window before college, and I stated explicitly the value in saving.
    yes i realised when you were talking about, but to suggest not saving at any point is to detract from the value of saving.

working in your teens, you should already be putting money into savings or superannuation accounts for your future.

40. Post #160
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    yes i realised when you were talking about, but to suggest not saving at any point is to detract from the value of saving.

working in your teens, you should already be putting money into savings or superannuation accounts for your future.
    During my senior year, I had about $6,000 invested in mutual funds. It's yielded about 14% annually, which is pretty good for a mutual fund. I'll invest in some stocks when I'm ready to take more of a risk.