1. Post #1
    Dennab
    December 2006
    1,979 Posts
    I hear talk about nVidia and AMD working on supporting 11.1 and 12.0 versions of DX (which may get merged). What the hell? Is it just me or is all of this happening too quickly? Remember when DX90 was around for years and years? What happened?
    I just got myself a DirectX 11 card and now I'm about to get fucked in the ass by the market... again.
    Supposedly, all of that new crap is due in 2012. I think the 11.1 release (if it stays) shouldn't be bad...

Sources, for all you conspiracy 'tards
    http://www.rumorpedia.net/microsoft-...11-1-and-12-2/
    http://www.osgenius.com/directx-12-and-directx-11-1/

Edit
    Oh wait, there's also a milestone for Windows 8 leaked. Perfect. Not only will I be shut out from DX12 on a hardware level, I will also need to get a new OS to have DX12 on a software level. FML. >.>
    Thanks for the artistic rating, btw. I take pride in my rants :D

(User was banned for this post ("Missed the Windows section" - SteveUK))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree x 96Artistic x 11Dumb x 9Funny x 4Winner x 3Informative x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    1,514 Posts
    Probably goes in hardware/games.

But yeah, Directx10 or 11 haven't even been used to their full potential yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 79 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,932 Posts
    I can only run DirectX10, and I just got this PC.

Well, time to get a job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Funny Funny x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    December 2006
    1,979 Posts
    Probably goes in hardware/games.

But yeah, Directx10 or 11 haven't even been used to their full potential yet.
    I thought that dx10 wasn't the full potential one and dx11 was the one that was gonna stick like 9. Shit :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,671 Posts
    I just got myself a DirectX 11 card and now I'm about to get fucked in the ass by the market... again.
    Welcome to the world of computer hardware.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 77Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    goatse
    January 2006
    32,479 Posts
    RUMORS!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Disagree Disagree x 9Dumb Dumb x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Current builds of 8 still only have 11 and this is the first I'm hearing of it. However it would go with how Microsoft has released the last 2 major DirectXs with the last two version of Windows.

You think that everyone is just going to jump on and use it all at once? How long did it take before DX10 started gaining ground. Or for that matter 11?

Also the games that have current DXs tend to also support previous versions. There's no need to go off the wall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2007
    1,131 Posts
    It's fine as long as it's not exclusively for Windows 8 and above.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    December 2006
    1,979 Posts
    How long did it take before DX10 started gaining ground. Or for that matter 11?
    1 year for each. ok dx11 kicked in after longer (still kickin' it, actually).
    It's just that the future saddens me :(

It's fine as long as it's not exclusively for Windows 8 and above.
    Don't get me started on Win8. There are rumors that Windows 8 will cut 32-bit support. Not that I care for 32bit procs anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 32Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    M_B
    Also a fellow SHART fangirl
    September 2005
    17,764 Posts
    given the age of both articles i'd say not as soon as they seemed to have predicted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,996 Posts
    i dont get it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,843 Posts
    Hell, DirectX 9 is still around.
    The 360 doesn't support DX10.

Actually, now that I really think about it, I don't think the 360 supports 9.0c either, I think it's 9.0b.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Funny x 83Agree x 4Disagree x 2Informative x 1Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Don't get me started on Win8. There are rumors that Windows 8 will cut 32-bit support. Not that I care for 32bit procs anymore
    No it won't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Informative Informative x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,084 Posts
    Hell, DirectX 9 is still around.
    The 360 doesn't support DX10.

Actually, now that I really think about it, I don't think the 360 supports 9.0c either, I think it's 9.0b.
    I thought the 360 had limited DX10 features

Edited:

woops nevermind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    December 2006
    1,979 Posts
    No it won't.
    Thank flying fuck. We need to keep those 32bits alive so that I can still watch my friends fail by putting a new OS onto a 2003 computer build :P

Edited:

3 fps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    April 2011
    68 Posts
    1 year for each. ok dx11 kicked in after longer (still kickin' it, actually).
    It's just that the future saddens me :(

Windows Vista should have cut 32-bit support. 64-bit CPUs were all the rage YEARS before Vista reared it's ugly head. Why they even bothered with a 32-bit Windows 7 is just mind-blowing. Every machine I've seen running Windows 7 has a 64-bit CPU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 50Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Windows Vista should have cut 32-bit support. 64-bit CPUs were all the rage YEARS before Vista reared it's ugly head. Why they even bothered with a 32-bit Windows 7 is just mind-blowing. Every machine I've seen running Windows 7 has a 64-bit CPU.
    Because there are still a lot of computers that have 32-bit only processors. They could've risked it if the Atom didn't come out. However it's Microsoft and they're going to try to make as much profit as they can.

Also even if they did Windows would still come with WOW64 because Microsoft wants to have as much compatibility with programs as they can. And if they only cut 32-bit builds it would have no effect for the rest of us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,906 Posts
    Even if dx 12 was released tomorrow, games wouldn't be able to make proper use of it for at least another year. And after that, it'd still take another half a decade before it becomes a necessity to have a DX 12 card.

You'll be fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 45 (list)

19. Post #19
    M_B
    Also a fellow SHART fangirl
    September 2005
    17,764 Posts
    I thought the 360 had limited DX10 features

Edited:

woops nevermind
    directx 9 has limited directx 10 features

*to the four of you idiots who seem to disagree - there are probably two things DirectX 10 can do that DirectX 9 cannot: object blur and SSAO (which can still be done under OpenGL but that's another topic), everything else is just optimized. DirectX 10 compliant hardware is another story.*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts
    Don't you guys realize? This is GOOD.
    Microsoft stepping up their DirectX power means that the next XBox will support DX11 at the least. This means better graphics in games and subsequently provides the ability for devs to create "AWESOME LOOKING VERSIONS" for PC without their financial managers batting an eyelid since it won't take significant amounts of time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Qatar Show Events Dumb Dumb x 49Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,471 Posts
    Well shit, I've only had my HD6950 about a week or two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    I'm dumb! You don't have an excuse!
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Don't you guys realize? This is GOOD.
    Microsoft stepping up their DirectX power means that the next XBox will support DX11 at the least. This means better graphics in games and subsequently provides the ability for devs to create "AWESOME LOOKING VERSIONS" for PC without their financial managers batting an eyelid since it won't take significant amounts of time.
    even if the current xbox supports DX10, doesn't mean it has the power to use it. The Geforce 210 is a DX10 card, doesn't mean that you're gonna be maxing out Just Cause 2 on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts
    even if the current xbox supports DX10, doesn't mean it has the power to use it. The Geforce 210 is a DX10 card, doesn't mean that you're gonna be maxing out Just Cause 2 on it.
    But support is the active word.
    If the next Xbox SUPPORTS DX11 (and I highly doubt that it would be powerful enough for tessellation) then the PC versions will most likely have Tessellation and advanced features of DX11 that the next Xbox will not be able to run since it does not take much time for a dev to apply things like Parallax mapping.

But maybe I am too optimistic and I should succumb to your cynical points of view.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Qatar Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,485 Posts
    I don't realy see the problem, DX can only get better, and for the people ranting over that they just got a new card, there's probably a year till this comes around, at least. Even longer till games actually support it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

25. Post #25
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    .. And this is why i prefer programming using OpenGL libraries. Fuck that DX stuff, OpenGL works all across all platforms and not only the newest releases. To me it would be near-heaven if more developers started focusing on OpenGL instead of Microsofts DX stuff.
    Of course there's more to DX than graphics, but that's another talk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    March 2011
    657 Posts
    Woo! Soon I'll be able to install a new Operating System.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    626 Posts
    Well, it's finally advancing as fast as it did pre directx 9. I really hate old software still being used, it forces developers to think about making something backwards complatible. There used to be a ground breaking game (from a technology standpoint) comming out every year, now it's like every 3 or 4 years. Same with windows xp. For gods sake, it's almost 10 years old now and windows 7 is much better anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    Well, it's finally advancing as fast as it did pre directx 9. I really hate old software still being used, it forces developers to think about making something backwards complatible. There used to be a ground breaking game (from a technology standpoint) comming out every year, now it's like every 3 or 4 years. Same with windows xp. For gods sake, it's almost 10 years old now and windows 7 is much better anyway.
    BUT XP IS BETTAR
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree x 15Agree x 5Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    i dont get it
    Direct.

X.

Ta-da. I solved the mystery. And :lost:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    the windows 8 build I've got just has DirectX 11
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    Huh thats really weird. DX versions always had big gap between them. Well let's see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,616 Posts
    Good job OP, you're freaking out about "news" from rumor and speculation sites :bravo:
    Fucked in the ass how? Almost all games these days still support DX9 cards. The real issue here is not the DirectX support, it's the performance of those cards since most of them are unable to run new games on any kind of good looking settings anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,892 Posts
    In 20 years, DirectX 22.
    What?

Wait in 2 years, DirectX 20
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,152 Posts
    If you ask me it's developing slowly.

DirectX 11 didn't even feel nor look like a real full release but rather an update to 10.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

35. Post #35
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,212 Posts
    All 10 did was add tessleation (which was nice for some things i guess)

And make the API 10 times more horrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Dumb x 7Disagree x 3Informative x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,619 Posts
    Devs should seriously consider openGL it already has stuff DX15's gonna have...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 30Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Microsoft should consider revising the DX and Win32 API's so they make sense, and aren't horribly written. Adding upon stuff that's already been beaten dead doesn't work.
    Just look at how modern day laws work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,485 Posts
    Devs should seriously consider openGL it already has stuff DX15's gonna have...
    I don't really know anything about neither OpenGL nor DX, but it's actually like Microsoft has gotten some kind of momentum. WP7 is getting "true" multitasking, which, granted, has been in Symbian for a long fucking time, but still, Microsoft has pulled of some things that has surprised in the last year, so they might even do something "fantastic" with DX. I do not expect such a thing, but I have some hope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

39. Post #39
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,907 Posts
    I only got a DX11 card 4 months ago, and my OS doesn't even support it
    Neither do most of the games I own

Edited:

Halfway to goldmember
    AGAIN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    I just got a GTX 560.

I wonder how it will handle this shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Vietnam Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)