1. Post #81
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    Businesses shouldn't maximize their profit.
    Both of you are half-right.

ATI and NVidia are mainly graphics cards companies. They don't have anything other companies are buying usage licenses to (well, NVidia has PhysX but I rarely see that), so they have to make a ton of cards to stay in business.

Microsoft makes DirectX. And Windows. And Office. And. And. And. anyway, from the way I understand it (which is likely wrong), ATI and NVidia have to pay Microsoft a tiny bit to be able to put DirectX whatever in their cards. Even if that's not the case, people are still buying a license to Windows all the time. So Microsoft can afford to take it easy and only push out a version of DirectX every three years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    Or people could drop directx and go with opengl
    Then we'll get threads like OpenGL 5.0... seriously?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Then we'll get threads like OpenGL 5.0... seriously?
    It doesn't quite work that way, but I see what you mean.

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    It doesn't quite work that way, but I see what you mean.
    Why doesn't it work that way? Not all GPUs support newer revisions of OpenGL. 4.0 is only supported by the Geforce 400 series, Radeon 5000 series, or higher.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #85
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,913 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#Releases

Yes dx9 lasted for an incredibly long time, but before that it was pretty much yearly that they updated.
    I think dx9 was the exception, not the rule.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,532 Posts
    Do developers get paid or anything to use DirectX instead of OpenGL?
    If they do, then that could be a reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Do developers get paid or anything to use DirectX instead of OpenGL?
    If they do, then that could be a reason.
    Wouldn't be surprised, coming from Microsoft...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    6,280 Posts
    They used to.

9. Post #89
    July 2007
    1,038 Posts
    Well since we are on the topic of DirectX, can anyone tell me what this difference would be if open GL was being used instead. As far as I know John Carmack favored Open GL over DirectX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Israel Show Events

10. Post #90
    August 2010
    2,840 Posts
    Well since we are on the topic of DirectX, can anyone tell me what this difference would be if open GL was being used instead. As far as I know John Carmack favored Open GL over DirectX.
    the API is way easier to use, and it's cross-platform(linux, windows, osx, maybe more).

Edited:

that's D3D I'm talking about, OGL is a graphics library, like D3D, which is inherited by dx, but dx isn't only a graphics library, it also has networking, audio, and a math engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    June 2008
    1,243 Posts
    Why doesn't it work that way? Not all GPUs support newer revisions of OpenGL. 4.0 is only supported by the Geforce 400 series, Radeon 5000 series, or higher.
    OpenGL has an extension mechanism that allows GPUs to provide additional features above and beyond what's required by the base OpenGL version, and newer OpenGL versions mostly just take functionality that's already available through extensions and make it standard.

Games can take advantage of new hardware features via extensions without having to wait for a new OpenGL version, and even after that newer GL version is released, games will often still support using the extension on older cards that support it. So if your GPU (hypothetically) supports OpenGL 5.0 plus the GL_ext_hypertesselation extension, and then OpenGL 6.0 is released with hypertesselation as a standard feature, games that use hypertesselation will generally still work for you even though you don't have a 6.0 GPU.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,256 Posts
    Fuck DX11, I'm sticking with my OG ATI 4850 X2 video card until the thing either dies out or until the next version of DirectX is utilized in more than five titles.

13. Post #93
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,227 Posts
    I like DirectX, OpenGL was a huge fucking pain when i used it
    But the API in any DirectX version above 9 is full of shit
    Really, only differance between DX9 and DX10 is the terrible API

Why does everyone get so mad over developers using DX9?

Edited:

And when i say OpenGL was a pain, i SERIOUSLY mean it
    Theres no official source of the headers, so you have to use whatever you compiler included
    OpenGL 1.1 :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #94
    February 2011
    458 Posts
    Didn't Microsoft fuck over OpenGL developers anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,944 Posts
    lmao i'm still using directX 9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    February 2011
    458 Posts
    If only Valve would add OpenGL to their PC games and not only the Mac.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    If only Valve would add OpenGL to their PC games and not only the Mac.
    Why would they?OpenGL isn't used as much on pc so it is unstable compared to DirectX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    August 2010
    2,840 Posts
    Why would they?OpenGL isn't used as much on pc so it is unstable compared to DirectX.
    that it isn't used much doesn't affect the quality of ogl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    DirectX versions are for the biggest part based around specific hardware support (mainly for shaders stuff), newer directx versions add stuff like hardware tessellation and other shaders, game developers can easily choose not to enable it for people who don't have the hardware.

I like OpenGL better then DirectX but maybe thats just because i started with OpenGL and never really did much DirectD3

Game developers use Direct3D over OpenGL because it has more support and is easier to use. DirectX is made for game development, OpenGL is made for graphics development.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,592 Posts
    Because it would help OpenGL with little to no work, and OpenGL on Windows needs support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

21. Post #101
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    Why do you guys exactly want OpenGL ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    August 2010
    2,840 Posts
    well, portability for one. porting it to another os wouldn't be a enormous bitch that way, so developers may decide to port their application to mac or, hopefully, linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    Did you ever try OpenGL in HL1? It is much stable than D3D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Did you ever try OpenGL in HL1? It is much stable than D3D.
    I wouldn't say it's more stable. I've never heard anyone have any problems with it crashing or not working.

Performance on the other hand...

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    Dunno, but D3D crashed more for me than OpenGL VV
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,092 Posts
    Why move to DirectX 12 when there's still money to be milked from 11?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    well, portability for one. porting it to another os wouldn't be a enormous bitch that way, so developers may decide to port their application to mac or, hopefully, linux.
    Don't you think they would use OpenGL in the first place if they wanted to port it to a different OS ?. Nobody is forcing them to use DirectX.

28. Post #108
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Why move to DirectX 12 when there's still money to be milked from 11?
    Because all the Tech retards at OC.net and where ever will be ripping their own dicks off to get the tech no matter if they utilize it or not. It's a veritable goldmine. I'm sticking with my 560 thanksverymuch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #109
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,227 Posts
    Isnt D3D in HL1 only on the second edition?
    Play original HL1 with 3DFX :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Isnt D3D in HL1 only on the second edition?
    Play original HL1 with 3DFX :smug:
    Fairly old versions had D3D rendering.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

31. Post #111
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,227 Posts
    I got a disk with the original HL1 here, without the HL2 looking menu, instead some slow animating background and huge buttons

It doesnt run on anything other than Windows 2000 if i remember right, but theres a patch out now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I got a disk with the original HL1 here, without the HL2 looking menu, instead some slow animating background and huge buttons

It doesnt run on anything other than Windows 2000 if i remember right, but theres a patch out now
    There were a bunch of editions of the game. I think I had the GOTY one, which ran on XP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

33. Post #113
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,316 Posts

Pretty sure it could run on XP. Vista or 7 are probably iffy though.

34. Post #114
    December 2010
    130 Posts
    What the hell is this, we should still be on DX10. No developer has yet to utilize it's complete potential.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

35. Post #115
    December 2006
    5 Posts
    Why is it so bad that Microsoft could be working on DirectX 12? Microsoft have to carry on bringing new features to the table, not to mention performance improvements. And so what if your card won't support it? Games won't fully support it for a year or two, and by then you'd probably updated it. And one more thing, even if your card didn't support it, it doesn't mean you won't be able to play the game.

Also, the Xbox360 does have limited DirectX 10 capabilities, only a few instructions, that's about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,253 Posts
    What the hell is this, we should still be on DX10. No developer has yet to utilize it's complete potential.
    that's a really stupid line of reasoning

Edited:

i prefer open standards

portability is a wonderful thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #117
    June 2008
    4,667 Posts
    Damn, I really need to upgrade to 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #118
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,050 Posts
    I remember when I played HL1 for the first time.
    On my Pentium MMX.
    With Software rendering.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119

July 2010
    393 Posts
    Yep lets stop researching and developing new products because KD007 has just bought a new graphics card.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    I remember when I played HL1 for the first time.
    On my Pentium MMX.
    With Software rendering.
    Pentium 3 with 64 mb ram, CS software rendering, the rendering was so bad sometimes the clipping planes would get all screwy and you could see people true doors or around corners.