1. Post #1
    May 2010
    108 Posts
    Hello i have a server and im looking for a good gamemode, i found hl2rp but is it worth 150EUR will the server get much players? is there any better gamemodes?

thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 15Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    435 Posts
    It varys on how good your at customising things but may be worth taking a look at this.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/107...ource-Roleplay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Fight for justice, fight for Manning and Snowden.
    April 2010
    2,597 Posts
    Well, I never liked it. It's always the same, walk, get some rations, talk and get bored.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Faroe Islands Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    December 2010
    1,802 Posts
    no, its not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2011
    119 Posts
    Who the fuck buys a gamemode? Make your own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 19Dumb x 2Funny x 1Zing x 1Lua Helper x 1Lua King x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,705 Posts
    who buys a gamemode that costs 15 times as much as the game itself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 20Funny Funny x 5Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2009
    1,361 Posts
    Not worth the money, especially not if you don't already have an already populated community.

OA is horribly optimized, and focuses on letting the script do most of the work rather than the players.
    I wouldn't recommend it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree x 6Lua King x 2Winner x 1Disagree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2010
    2,171 Posts
    Meh, some people like it including me. If you don't have a dedicated playerbase there is no way you should get it though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2008
    1,278 Posts
    No why should you pay for a gamemode? And it's full of back doors so the creator can shutdown your gamemode if he feels like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2008
    346 Posts
    Who sells gamemodes when valve don't really like people donating for titles. Surly this is like selling DLC for the game at a price which can only considered disgraceful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,104 Posts
    Absolutely not worth it unless you already have some major support from members and are certain that you can make a successful server with it. I personally own the Severance schematic for OpenAura and I already had a community built up before I started using it. Other than that, HL2RP really isn't a good choice for role-playing servers unless you've got some super special gimmick in mind to make it fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2010
    2,171 Posts
    Absolutely not worth it unless you already have some major support from members and are certain that you can make a successful server with it. I personally own the Severance schematic for OpenAura and I already had a community built up before I started using it. Other than that, HL2RP really isn't a good choice for role-playing servers unless you've got some super special gimmick in mind to make it fun.
    I don't see how Severance could be any better than HL2RP, RP is after all not about shooting zombies...

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

April 2011
    384 Posts
    Most of the conna gamemodes are here: http://www.dramaunlimited.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    February 2009
    1,361 Posts
    Most of the conna gamemodes are here: http://www.dramaunlimited.org/
    Handing out wares is a bannable offense. Just saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    No no, its not worth it at all. Its a gimmick. There is no reason whatsoever to buy this gamemode under any circumstance. Get tacoscript or something similar if you want to run an RP server.

The difference between tacoscript and openaura is not even close to 150eu. This is a obvious scam to the experienced crowd designed to pray on the inexperienced and perhaps younger crowd who think they've bought something special. Its also much more challenging to modify as the internal workings of the gamemode are hidden. The script itself periodically goes down if kuro's server is down which happens quite often considering he seems to attract people who own botnets.

I don't see how Severance could be any better than HL2RP, RP is after all not about shooting zombies...
    But it can be... HL2RP is dull and overdone (and done poorly), he's got a good point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,099 Posts
    150 fucking euros? merciful christ
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,104 Posts
    And that's not what we did.

18. Post #18
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Handing out wares is a bannable offense. Just saying.
    Its not warez, they have no right to sell their gamemode for money, they have no legal backings whatsoever..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    Its not warez, they have no right to sell their gamemode for money, they have no legal backings whatsoever..
    Does it matter? They made it, they have a licence on it. I hate when people sell gamemodes, but the coder made it, they have the right to sell it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    Does it matter? They made it, they have a licence on it. I hate when people sell gamemodes, but the coder made it, they have the right to sell it.
    Selling gamemodes seems like a perfectly normal practice to me. You wonder why?
    Well, it's plain simple. A person makes something from scratch and requests the consumer to pay for them to be able to get/use the product.
    It's like selling bread: The baker makes the bread and sells it.
    Best thing to compare it with is websites. Everything you need to make a website is free, but people still makes and sell websites made out of free code to run on servers where people pay with, and people have to pay to be able to access the internet and see the website.

So do you hate your local baker(i know it's not a really good example, but it comes close to the core) or your local web-designer?
    A lot of work goes into these kind of gamemodes, and I believe that the people who spent time working on it deserve somehing in return. Some people only want respect and release their gamemode, other fee that their gamemode is worth more than that and put a price on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    Selling gamemodes seems like a perfectly normal practice to me. You wonder why?
    Well, it's plain simple. A person makes something from scratch and requests the consumer to pay for them to be able to get/use the product.
    It's like selling bread: The baker makes the bread and sells it.
    Best thing to compare it with is websites. Everything you need to make a website is free, but people still makes and sell websites made out of free code to run on servers where people pay with, and people have to pay to be able to access the internet and see the website.

So do you hate your local baker(i know it's not a really good example, but it comes close to the core) or your local web-designer?
    A lot of work goes into these kind of gamemodes, and I believe that the people who spent time working on it deserve somehing in return. Some people only want respect and release their gamemode, other fee that their gamemode is worth more than that and put a price on it.
    Long debated issue, bottom line is in a legal sense they have NO backing.
    Technically if Garry cared he would have backing against those selling gamemodes. However, he doesn't care and has stated this before.

Every gamemode uses some functions, some code, derived from a gamemode, ate a cake once owned by god or some other nonsical thing that would make copyright near impossible without an agreement with Garry or whoever it's applicable to.

Now, if it's moral to give away gamemodes people are trying to sell is a completely different issue. One I don't care about as I'd never pay 150+ for a stock gamemode. There are a bunch of bored schoolkids with some nice LUA talents that could build you a base for that. I'd also never steal one though, attracts attention / plus morality questions.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,827 Posts
    They have no legal right to the IP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    I can resist everything except temptation
    January 2008
    3,665 Posts
    Nope.

24. Post #24
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    Long debated issue, bottom line is in a legal sense they have NO backing.
    Technically if Garry cared he would have backing against those selling gamemodes. However, he doesn't care and has stated this before.

Every gamemode uses some functions, some code, derived from a gamemode, ate a cake once owned by god or some other nonsical thing that would make copyright near impossible without an agreement with Garry or whoever it's applicable to.

Now, if it's moral to give away gamemodes people are trying to sell is a completely different issue. One I don't care about as I'd never pay 150+ for a stock gamemode. There are a bunch of bored schoolkids with some nice LUA talents that could build you a base for that. I'd also never steal one though, attracts attention / plus morality questions.
    I don't think Garry has legal rights over ANYTHING related to lua coding as he is not the "father" of the lua coding language.
    People are using functions that he released for people to use. He has not made a disclaimer that you cannot use the functions in commercial circles.

I'll give you an other example. People making a content management system and then others selling themes and templates for that content management system. This is an exact illustration of what is happening here.
    People make a content management system using an open coding language, others then make a theme using the functions in the CMS and sell it on the internet.
    If Garry does not want people to sell gamemodes, he needs to clearly state that in a user agreement or disclaimer.

25. Post #25
    July 2008
    346 Posts
    Your saying this is all related to garry but im rather sure its says in the steam terms of service something along the lines of "you may not buy or sell within game environments unless done through official valve system". I remember there being some debate about donations for gifts they didn't like but they said it was ok to give a title.

Considering all the things people have said, I would consider selling gamemodes as selling DLC as I have already said which im rather sure IS against valve policy.

26. Post #26
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    Your saying this is all related to garry but im rather sure its says in the steam terms of service something along the lines of "you may not buy or sell within game environments unless done through official valve system". I remember there being some debate about donations for gifts they didn't like but they said it was ok to give a title.

Considering all the things people have said, I would consider selling gamemodes as selling DLC as I have already said which im rather sure IS against valve policy.
    The thing is that the gamemodes don't contain anything owned by valve. It's a stack of lua code.

27. Post #27
    April 2011
    223 Posts
    It's a grey area. Nothing will ever happen about it, but you can safely ignore DMCA requests from his company as he doesn't have a solid enough legal standing to make a claim. Plus, the DMCA would have to come from Conna, not gmod.biz.

28. Post #28
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    It's a grey area. Nothing will ever happen about it, but you can safely ignore DMCA requests from his company as he doesn't have a solid enough legal standing to make a claim. Plus, the DMCA would have to come from Conna, not gmod.biz.
    I love it when Computer22 starts sending his DMCA's claiming he has lawyers and stuff. That just makes my day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    June 2009
    149 Posts
    The thing is that the gamemodes don't contain anything owned by valve. It's a stack of lua code.
    I think they do have DLLs made in the Source SDK, which aren't legal to sell.

30. Post #30
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    I think they do have DLLs made in the Source SDK, which aren't legal to sell.
    Nodoby's talking about DLL's here?
    We're talking about plain lua gamemodes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,648 Posts
    Nodoby's talking about DLL's here?
    We're talking about plain lua gamemodes.
    Conna does redistribute DLLs he did not make or owns any rights to, he literally takes the DLL, changes a few method names here and there, recompiles it with a different name then claims it as his. his gamemodes have been caught using things like gm_bass, gm_sourcenet etc without the permission to re-sell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    Conna does redistribute DLLs he did not make or owns any rights to, he literally takes the DLL, changes a few method names here and there, recompiles it with a different name then claims it as his. his gamemodes have been caught using things like gm_bass, gm_sourcenet etc without the permission to re-sell.
    Like i said before, I'm taking plain lua as an example. If you're going to start with dll's built on the source engine, then you're starting with something that is way over your head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2009
    149 Posts
    Without the DLLs his gamemodes don't function. So he is selling DLLs, which he has no right to. So yes, it is illegal.

34. Post #34
    Some guy.
    December 2006
    400 Posts
    Without the DLLs his gamemodes don't function. So he is selling DLLs, which he has no right to. So yes, it is illegal.
    Ah, I see, I wasn't aware of that because I don't really mingle with anything related to Kuro and Computer22 for obvious reasons.

35. Post #35
    August 2009
    49 Posts
    Well, if you've got a really large playerbase, a quite big server (32 slots), and serious and professional intentions with your community. Sure, I would suggest you buy HL2RP. It's a great and interesting gamemode which definitely gives you a unique gaming experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    February 2009
    1,361 Posts
    Well, if you've got a really large playerbase, a quite big server (32 slots), and serious and professional intentions with your community. Sure, I would suggest you buy HL2RP. It's a great and interesting gamemode which definitely gives you a unique gaming experience.
    Except that if you get around 20 players on OpenAura the server begins to lag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    7,354 Posts
    150? One hundred and fucking fifty Euros?
    That costs more than my fucking server did. Don't buy it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    49 Posts
    Except that if you get around 20 players on OpenAura the server begins to lag.
    Nope. Maybe on your crappy unlegit version, but on the official version, 32 players work just fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    February 2009
    1,361 Posts
    Nope. Maybe on your crappy unlegit version, but on the official version, 32 players work just fine.
    I don't use OpenAura, so I don't even own a copy of it.
    It may have been updated since then, but a while back it did not react well to a lot of players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,648 Posts
    Hey, at least the "pirates" of that gamemode weren't dumb enough to waste hundreds of dollars and feed some asshats ego.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)