1. Post #3361
    Jaykin' Bacon: Episode Three
    February 2005
    23,416 Posts
    Once again i've been poking around scripts. If i am correct then i might have a fun script to toy with in multiplayer. ;) can you say talk activated jetpack.
    no i can't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

2. Post #3362
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts
    what entity is used to make world portals?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3363
    July 2010
    314 Posts
    How can I get the Space Core to say the lines like he does in the final boss? I've tried poking around the map, but no dice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #3364
    April 2007
    125 Posts
    what entity is used to make world portals?
    linked_portal_door is what you are looking for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3365
    October 2007
    20 Posts
    Hey, so after a bunch of trouble adding a custom sound into the game, I ran into another problem after getting it to work, now the sound is slowed down alot, any fix?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

6. Post #3366
    March 2011
    1,422 Posts
    linked_portal_door is what you are looking for.
    Can uh.. can you tell me how to use it properly? :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #3367
    April 2007
    125 Posts
    Can uh.. can you tell me how to use it properly? :buddy:
    They really arent that hard. In hammer just pay attention to the yellow line coming out of the entity. This will point the direction of the portal opening. Then just give each end name set the partner name to each other. If you want it active from the start set the active option to true. If you want it to trigger via button then use an output on a button or something to open the portal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #3368
    May 2011
    51 Posts
    Earlier the Portal 2 SDK went into "This Game is not available" mode, and now that I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it's been stuck at "Download Starting" for hours. Help? I've restarted Steam and my computer multiple times.
    Have you tried restarting your modem? That usually works for me when Steam does that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #3369
    March 2010
    2,900 Posts
    My first presentable map. Unimaginatively called TestChamberOne. Comments and criticisms appreciated. Here's the video.

Or you can download it here http://www.mediafire.com/?8mbbydru3vq19h2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

10. Post #3370
    Gold Member

August 2010
    5,708 Posts
    I started re-creating one of the demo maps, ill finish it tomorrow.

11. Post #3371

April 2011
    6 Posts
    I'm having problems with info_placement_helper. I've placed several in my map and none of them seem to be working correctly. I placed them dead center in the middle of 128x128 panels and set the radius to 64, but I can still put portals down either side of the panel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12. Post #3372
    April 2007
    125 Posts
    well the jetpack script idea works in theory. :P the only problem i am running into is making it loop correctly since i want it to recall itself without a think function so it can be used on any map :P.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

13. Post #3373

April 2011
    6 Posts
    I've been playing around with the concept of gravity inversion. Here is my first map using the concept. It's a fairly simple puzzle designed to introduce the concept of gravity inversion.

http://www.atomicgoose.com/images/mi..._Inversion.zip

My hope is to make a series of test chamber that build on this concept.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #3374
    Quq

December 2010
    1,371 Posts
    I've been playing around with the concept of gravity inversion. Here is my first map using the concept. It's a fairly simple puzzle designed to introduce the concept of gravity inversion.

why is the player on the floor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #3375
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,980 Posts
    Gravity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #3376
    March 2010
    2,435 Posts

Isn't "gravity inversion" basically what excursion funnels did?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #3377
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,980 Posts
    I think i read somewhere in another thread that the portals must not be enabled at the start of the map. try triggering them? I'm not sure if that'll help you thogugh
    Okay. Now I know that. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Norway Show Events

18. Post #3378
    I'm friendly!
    June 2007
    3,604 Posts
    My first presentable map. Unimaginatively called TestChamberOne. Comments and criticisms appreciated. Here's the video.

Or you can download it here http://www.mediafire.com/?8mbbydru3vq19h2
    Very nice! The only thing is that the textures don't align properly and it's bugging the SHIT out of me.

19. Post #3379
    April 2011
    88 Posts
    Someone could create a coop labyrinth map, where the blue or the orange should help the other to get thru it. The orange should go in the labyrinth and the blue help him from above by seeing him thru glass. And of course this + all the awesome elements of portal 2 (toxic water, cubes, faith panel ..) :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Useful Useful x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #3380
    I'm friendly!
    June 2007
    3,604 Posts
    Someone could create a coop labyrinth map, where the blue or the orange should help the other to get thru it. The orange should go in the labyrinth and the blue help him from above by seeing him thru glass. And of course this + all the awesome elements of portal 2 (toxic water, cubes, faith panel ..) :D
    If you draw out some plans for it, I'm sure someone would take a shot at it. Lots of people have great ideas for maps, it takes someone with some initiative to get it going!

21. Post #3381
    April 2011
    88 Posts
    If you draw out some plans for it, I'm sure someone would take a shot at it. Lots of people have great ideas for maps, it takes someone with some initiative to get it going!
    Well I think the starting idea is enough, cause for those who are creating maps it would be boring to bring alive the exact idea. Let them make it the way they want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

22. Post #3382
    April 2011
    95 Posts
    I like that idea. Maybe i'm gonna use it for my map full of illusions. Can't get worldportals working though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

23. Post #3383

May 2011
    29 Posts
    I had an idea similar to this a little while ago. I had imagined that the labyrinth would be made completely out of panels and they could alternate wall positions from the direction of the outside player.

However, as I played with this idea, I came to the realization that Valve had pretty much implemented the idea of a labyrinth map with their vertical glass/crusher maze formats throughout co-op. It'd be an interesting concept anyways, but I assume they came to their conclusion with the same concept at mind.

The difficulty of the map design is to ensure that the outside player not doing the map has enough control to make it not a boring map for whoever picks that part, while the inside player has little to no control in order to remain focus on the actual maze.

24. Post #3384
    April 2011
    88 Posts
    The inside player should also do his job, for example press a button for something, make portals, give up to the other a cube ...

25. Post #3385

May 2011
    7 Posts
    where can i get a stair thats break ,when i jump on it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #3386
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,160 Posts
    I was looking at the map with the wurret redemtion line to tryt and make that turret and it seems the conveyer is made of Prop_dynamics and func_tracktrains. I'll look into it more later, that'd be cool to recreate them.
    That was the first thing I made with the Alienswarm SDK.

it isn't that hard. Valve is using squirrel to trigger the sounds.

Edited:

and for changing material on the screen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

27. Post #3387
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #3388
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,857 Posts
    You haven't built the cubemaps and there are un-aligned textures everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3389
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,777 Posts
    Ingame videos!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Jersey Show Events Late Late x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #3390
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    How do I make it so an arial faith plate launches cubes up into the air? I've made a faith plate under a dropper, and the plate launches the player into the air, but the cube just bounces off it. What am I doing wrong? :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #3391
    April 2011
    88 Posts
    You haven't built the cubemaps and there are un-aligned textures everywhere.
    Thanks for reply. How to do that. Place cubemaps and tie to them the brushes?

32. Post #3392
    July 2010
    256 Posts
    How do I make it so an arial faith plate launches cubes up into the air? I've made a faith plate under a dropper, and the plate launches the player into the air, but the cube just bounces off it. What am I doing wrong? :ohdear:
    Have you checked in the flags?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

33. Post #3393

April 2011
    6 Posts
    Because the part of the puzzle requires getting on the ceiling to get the cube. If you started on the ceiling what fun would that be?

Isn't "gravity inversion" basically what excursion funnels did?
    Excursion funnels don't invert gravity. They push or pull you in a straight line. Gravity inversion allows you to freely walk on the ceiling and drop things and have them fall up.

34. Post #3394

April 2011
    139 Posts
    I placed a fog enity and i have NO IDEA where it went and i can't find it >_< is there anyway to single it out

35. Post #3395
    April 2011
    88 Posts
    Can somebody explain me how to align textures with cubemaps? Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #3396
    January 2008
    850 Posts
    I placed a fog enity and i have NO IDEA where it went and i can't find it >_< is there anyway to single it out
    On the bar at the top go to Map -> Entity Report.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Guernsey Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #3397

April 2011
    139 Posts
    On the bar at the top go to Map -> Entity Report.

Thanks!

38. Post #3398
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    Have you checked in the flags?
    That did the trick, thanks

39. Post #3399
    April 2007
    125 Posts

Simple scripting at work again. If used correctly then i could see this making an interesting puzzle map. I really need to cut back on concept maps and actually think about an actual puzzle map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #3400
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,574 Posts

Simple scripting at work again. If used correctly then i could see this making an interesting puzzle map. I really need to cut back on concept maps and actually think about an actual puzzle map.
    holy crap. I could see this being used for puzzles where each "time zone" has different parts functioning/non-functioning, but you bring the same cube through the two zones to operate both at once.

What happens if you bring one cube through a portal? Or pull one out?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)