1. Post #1
    January 2010
    158 Posts

The following method allows you to play singleplayer maps with a friend in coop mode.
    It takes advantage of the commentary system to modify maps in order to make the playable in coop without actually modifying any map files.
    Moreover, only the host is required to have the necessary files since they will sync through the net.

Here's what you'll need:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8504765/p2-coopfix.zip
    This zip contains the "fixed" commentary files for 36/64 singleplayer maps.
    I'll fix more maps in the future but for now this should do it.

To use them, just extract the contents of the zip in your portal2\maps folder, host a coop game and when in the lobby open the console, type "commentary 1" and then "changelevel <map>" (replace <map> with a singleplayer level of your choice).
    Later on I'll edit the lobby so that you can choose singleplayer maps from there.

Notes:
    Sometimes you might get stuck, just enable cheats and use noclip.
    The host will not be able to move until the other player connects, don't worry.
    If you notice that both players can't move then it means that the level is not fixed yet.
    After you've hosted a singleplayer map, if you try to create a coop session, your partner will disconnect with a "#Valve_Hidden_Game" error. Just restart the game and it should be alright.

Hope you enjoy it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Greece Show Events Useful x 44Winner x 17Informative x 3Dumb x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,008 Posts
    Thanks, Ive been wanting to play this with a friend. More so as a watcher to help him figure stuff out since he isnt to good at portal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 28Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,600 Posts
    You sir, are a god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    417 Posts
    kickin rad

5. Post #5
    August 2008
    1,453 Posts
    Awesome, very useful thanks!

6. Post #6
    March 2008
    789 Posts
    This is awesome. I'll definitely have to try it out sometime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7

February 2009
    130 Posts
    Where can I find a list of the maps to have as <map> (whether they work or not)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,584 Posts
    What's the point? The maps are designed for one player, playing them with someone else will just take out any traces of challenge in them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 25Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2010
    519 Posts
    Have a winner rating.

Also, both player needs the maps, isn't it?

Does it remove the single-player dev commentary? Just wondering.

Edited:

What's the point? The maps are designed for one player, playing them with someone else will just take out any traces of challenge in them.
    Throw your friends into traps?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,961 Posts
    The link seems to be down for me.

Edit:

Forget this, it worked !

Also, Great job.

11. Post #11
    October 2009
    3,011 Posts
    this is amazingly fun.
    Excursion funnels using 4 portals, creating companion cubes and launching them on an aerial pad when your friend is coming from the other site...:allears:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    January 2010
    158 Posts
    Also, both player needs the maps, isn't it?

Does it remove the single-player dev commentary? Just wondering.
    Only the host needs the files and yes, it does remove dev commentary.
    If you want it back just verify your game files through steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Greece Show Events Informative Informative x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2010
    519 Posts
    Only the host needs the files and yes, it does remove dev commentary.
    If you want it back just verify your game files through steam.
    Alright, I already listened to the dev commentary anyway.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,159 Posts
    i wonder if this will work while playing with a ps3 user
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Informative Informative x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    There are many points in the SP campaign where the game ends if the player screws up (e.g.    The part where GLaDOS offers you an alternative "escape route", but she traps you and kills you with neurotoxin   ), how can you solve that problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Hungary Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,159 Posts
    There are many points in the SP campaign where the game ends if the player screws up (e.g.    The part where GLaDOS offers you an alternative "escape route", but she traps you and kills you with neurotoxin   ), how can you solve that problem?
    resist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 56Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,982 Posts
    I played this with someone in the first level of the game. When we used the bed we got stuck in the same old room. And when i tried to noclip to the room where wheatley appears, it wont collide on us so we just falled through it. Other than that, it's cool.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    6,993 Posts
    Awesome show, dude :)

19. Post #19
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,339 Posts
    Great, now my friend will laugh at me at the end of the puzzle when I figure out which way to rotate a reflectey-laser cube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    November 2007
    38 Posts
    This is awesome, great work. Can't wait for the rest of the levels :)

21. Post #21
    March 2011
    206 Posts
    Now someone needs to port the Portal 1 levels to Portal 2 co-op. That would be awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member

August 2008
    2,905 Posts
    I wonder what happens when it reaches the end of the game? (assuming you'll make that far available, and unless I'm missing something that has to do with dev commentary)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,982 Posts
    I wonder what happens when it reaches the end of the game? (assuming you'll make that far available, and unless I'm missing something that has to do with dev commentary)
    It would be cool to    fight against Wheatley with a friend or a stranger   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2010
    696 Posts
    I want to see if this works with a PS3 buddy, but PSN's currently down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    April 2011
    110 Posts
    This doesn't work when playing with a stranger does it?

26. Post #26
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    25,945 Posts
    Kicking rad.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,982 Posts
    This doesn't work when playing with a stranger does it?
    It does work. I have done it with 3 strangers now. 2 of them actually enjoyed to play instead of insta disconnecting.

28. Post #28
    April 2011
    110 Posts
    It does work. I have done it with 3 strangers now. 2 of them actually enjoyed to play instead of insta disconnecting.
    When I try it says "you aren't running the server" or something like that. :-/

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,982 Posts
    When I try it says "you aren't running the server" or something like that. :-/
    When you press the "Look for a partner online" button, be sure it says "Waiting for an partner...", because that means you are the host. If it doesn't say that, try again. Should only take 2 tries.

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    110 Posts
    I did this with a friend, it's really great! Low gravity is fun also.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    Uhm, guys, a friend of mine got this when he wanted to play with me.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,422 Posts
    Uhm, guys, a friend of mine got this when he wanted to play with me.
    I sure did, trying to download the files right now and then we'll try again with me hosting the game^^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    April 2011
    110 Posts
    I sure did, trying to download the files right now and then we'll try again with me hosting the game^^
    "commentary 0" before trying to play.

Fixed.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    "commentary 0" before trying to play.

Fixed.
    Oh... :doh:
    I know what you mean.

35. Post #35
    April 2011
    110 Posts
    I wonder why it does that. Is it a security thing? It detects that you have edited the game and doesn't let you play?

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,548 Posts
    So do all the lines and scripted events work as well?

37. Post #37
    April 2011
    110 Posts
    So do all the lines and scripted events work as well?
    Yeah, but glitched a lot at parts.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    Yeah, okay, I started a co-op game, invited Gordon Frohm, set commentary to 1 and then I typed "map sp_a2_laser_chaining". Gordon Frohm got disconnected and I was stuck bewteen the menus like this:

Edited:

What do?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,982 Posts
    Yeah, okay, I started a co-op game, invited Gordon Frohm, set commentary to 1 and then I typed "map sp_a2_laser_chaining". Gordon Frohm got disconnected and I was stuck bewteen the menus like this:

Edited:

What do?
    Restart Portal 2 and try again. Only type commentary 1 when you are at The Hub or the training course. Do not type it when coop is loading.

EDIT: You need to type: changelevel "map name here", not map "map name here". Example: changelevel sp_a2_laser_chaining
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    March 2008
    789 Posts
    So what happens when one person dies? Do you have to start over again (since the map gets reloaded after every death), or do you just respawn like you would normally in co-op?