1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    856 Posts
    Super nervous. Driving a manual Toyota Vios for the test and after that migrating to my parent's Hyundai after I pass the test.

Any tips? My problem when it comes to driving is that I always over-rev the engine or fail to get the biting point of the car quickly enough.

And I always freak out whenever I stop at a hill. I always floor the accelerator cause I'm afraid my car would roll backwards..

I also can't seem to change lanes quickly enough ; I'm always intimidated by heavy traffic and tend to slow down in order to change lanes.. Right in the middle of a busy road.

Also ; quick question ; what gear should I use to go down a hill?

Update: I passed guys! :) I'm going to drive around for the next 6 days in my Hyundai and then I'll upgrade to a Leopard. Thanks for all your help! :)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,019 Posts
    Sucks, I just got back from mine, fucking passed yo, but I had a shitty automatic 4 banger dodge. If you aren't confident enough yet, then you shouldn't take your test yet.

Edited:

Keep practicing though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    If you aren't confident enough yet, then you shouldn't take your test yet.
    This.

You should have driving a manual down about a month after you first started learning, and hills should be a breeze by now. If not then you have a lot more practice needed. Go find a hill somewhere and just practice starting and stopping on that. The gear you should use is entirely dependent on how steep a hill is and what speed you are going. Again, if you have to ask, then you aren't ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Personally I would just take the test in an automatic, heck if you need to go rent a car. It is just easier and since you said you are going to end up driving an automatic there is no need to take the test in a manual.

Also something that would help, is to truly get a feel of where the clutch starts to grab. Once you know that everything is easier. So I would just go to a parking lot and for however long you need just idle and get the car moving with just the clutch.

5. Post #5
    August 2009
    1,214 Posts
    Sucks that you need a license to drive a manual.

Here in the US, it's one license for all cars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,872 Posts
    Nervousness is the absence of confidence

also where are you from because if you live in india you have to drive 100m and you pass

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    I hate when my mom rides with me. If I get within a foot of the right (US roads), she freaks out and squeals saying we are going to flip. That pisses me off and I say her freaking out like that will cause me to freak out and then wreck into the oncoming car. But anyways OP, what car is it? It may have that hill thing where it won't roll backwards.

8. Post #8

November 2010
    122 Posts
    I hate when my mom rides with me. If I get within a foot of the right (US roads), she freaks out and squeals saying we are going to flip. That pisses me off and I say her freaking out like that will cause me to freak out and then wreck into the oncoming car. But anyways OP, what car is it? It may have that hill thing where it won't roll backwards.
    story of my life
    sometimes my mom will be like AH! when theres no oncoming car at all.
    i'm just like, woman if you do that one of the pedals is going down.

also, i'm from new jersey. everyone claims my test is supposed to be easy. K turns are down, i can parrallel park, (im in an automatic btw) , anything else thats important? has anyone taken the NJ driving test recently?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    story of my life

also, i'm from new jersey. everyone claims my test is supposed to be easy. K turns are down, i can parrallel park, (im in an automatic btw) , anything else thats important? has anyone taken the NJ driving test recently?
    How to properly dump a body in the alley. Cus' you woke up this morning, and got yourself a gun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2009
    1,214 Posts
    Yeah make sure you get a sufficient size trunk if you live in New Jersey, and one that's closed and not visible from the outside. You're gonna need it for the test.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,019 Posts
    Personally I would just take the test in an automatic, heck if you need to go rent a car. It is just easier and since you said you are going to end up driving an automatic there is no need to take the test in a manual.

Also something that would help, is to truly get a feel of where the clutch starts to grab. Once you know that everything is easier. So I would just go to a parking lot and for however long you need just idle and get the car moving with just the clutch.
    You need to have a license/be 25 to rent a car in 'Merica. :argh:

Edited:

I can Parallel park on the left side(drivers side) but I suck at Parallel parking on the other side...which is pretty much the only side I'm supposed to park on. But I just need some more practice, but I do alright, especially since I haven't had driving lessons or anything like that.

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    5,102 Posts
    story of my life

NJ YOU SAY?

if you go on the parkway remember the speed limit is 50 or 65 although everyone else is going 90

MY bro took ihs test, they like take you around the block and then make you parallel park in the lot at the dmv or whatever.

Edited:

story of my life

my mom starts singing
    hey mom wanna play the telephone pole game
    whats that
    Here i give the pole a hug with the car
    *slowly list to the right*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,019 Posts
    You need to have a license/be 25 to rent a car in 'Merica. :argh:

Edited:

I can Parallel park on the left side(drivers side) but I suck at Parallel parking on the other side...which is pretty much the only side I'm supposed to park on. But I just need some more practice, but I do alright, especially since I haven't had driving lessons or anything like that.
    I meant his parents should.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,019 Posts
    You have to be a Licensed driver to drive a Rental. And you have to have proof of insurance on the car, so...you can't use a rental to take the test. Unless the laws where he is are completely different.

15. Post #15

November 2010
    122 Posts
    NJ YOU SAY?

if you go on the parkway remember the speed limit is 50 or 65 although everyone else is going 90

MY bro took ihs test, they like take you around the block and then make you parallel park in the lot at the dmv or whatever.

Edited:

my mom starts singing
    whats that
    LMAO @ the telephone pole game. nice

yeah I've braved the gsp a couple times. it's ridiculous to keep up with traffic hahah

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    my mom starts singing
    whats that
    haha thats actually pretty funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    VAG Lover
    June 2010
    2,864 Posts
    The driving Test is pretty easy possibly 15 min long. (here in texas) They dont make you park on hills and attempt to take off from a dead stop. If your rolling in a manual car I very suggest that you get a shit tone of practice in before you take that test or else they might deduct points for failure to control your vehicle.

What I would do if I was you would be find Anyone that has a automatic and ask if you could use there vehicle to take the test in. (Make sure it has reinsurance and all working lights!!)

And about what gear fuck if I know...

18. Post #18
    black people
    April 2008
    3,934 Posts
    story of my life

I took my driving test in NJ. It was shit easy. Not to be stereotypical at all i saw my instructor walk out the building with a gangsta lean(he was black) with a do-rag and a NY hat that was slightly tilted. He got into my car moved his seat back and told me "What's good". Lets just say I no longer had any doubt in my mind I wouldn't past this test.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19

November 2010
    122 Posts
    I took my driving test in NJ. It was shit easy. Not to be stereotypical at all i saw my instructor walk out the building with a gangsta lean(he was black) with a do-rag and a NY hat that was slightly tilted. He got into my car moved his seat back and told me "What's good". Lets just say I no longer had any doubt in my mind I wouldn't past this test.
    yeah i had a friend who claimed he got a guy who spoke 0 english.
    let's hope i'm as lucky and don't get a tight ass.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,099 Posts
    It's easy as fuck, I didn't even have to parallel park and it was over in about 10 minutes.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    Florida is crazy easy. Also, if OP is in the US or somewhere else where there's no distinction between auto/manual licensing, just try to do it in an auto. Just get your license, and learn to drive a manual on your own time.

Edited:

It's what I did, now i'm heel-n-toe'n like a boss

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    856 Posts
    I live in South East Asia.
    I guess this kinda makes most of the advice irrelevant yeah?

The tests over here is done within a circuit where you'll have to do parallel/vertical parking, moving off from an artificial hill and narrow 'S' courses.

Then after the circuit is done you'll be taken out of the circuit to the major roads where there are fucktons of irresponsible drivers.

The only problem I have is just moving off from slopes on major roads. Those are scary. Whenever I release the breaks, I fear that I'd roll backwards.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,019 Posts
    Just gas it and let the clutch in slowly.

Edited:

But not to slowly.

Edited:

Keep practicing.

24. Post #24
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    Rev to 5k.

Drop clutch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,640 Posts
    Also ; quick question ; what gear should I use to go down a hill?
    Depends on your speed, the gradient of the hill, and many other factors.

As for hill starts, don't worry if the car rolls back a bit. 1/2 a metre is normally tolerable.

If you're not at the point where you can launch (off a hill) without giving it a shit ton of revs, you should probably practice a bit more before the test.

Edited:

Rev to 5k.

Drop clutch.
    lol, clutch wear out in 100KM

26. Post #26
    December 2010
    294 Posts
    I remembered when I watched my friend do his driving test. He fucking wrecked the car.

27. Post #27
    October 2009
    5,102 Posts
    yeah i had a friend who claimed he got a guy who spoke 0 english.
    let's hope i'm as lucky and don't get a tight ass.
    biggest tip of all
    get the earliest test you can

If you are one of the last people the instructor is probably pissed off at all the shit hes been through for 6 or 7 hours.

im taking mine at 7am

28. Post #28
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,640 Posts
    how about you just know how to drive?
    that way they don't have any reason to fail you even though they're pissed off.

too many shit drivers on the road. don't take the easy way out.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    526 Posts
    Don't speed, especially in a school zone. Automatic failure.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    856 Posts
    how about you just know how to drive?
    that way they don't have any reason to fail you even though they're pissed off.

too many shit drivers on the road. don't take the easy way out.
    Yes ; I should be 100% confident about my ability before taking out any car on the road.
    Sure, I think of myself as a decent driver but there are still some doubts about my ability in tense situations. I think this is because I don't have a lot of exposure in driving. I've been driving for about 4 months now, about twice a week.

I kinda rushed all my lessons because I'm enlisting in the military next week. Preferably I would like to have more experience driving, but I honestly cannot afford the time to obtain my licence whilst in the military.

It's either I do the test tomorrow or in 2013.

Edit : Oops, you're not talking to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts
    remember to wear your helmet

32. Post #32

November 2010
    122 Posts
    biggest tip of all
    get the earliest test you can

If you are one of the last people the instructor is probably pissed off at all the shit hes been through for 6 or 7 hours.

im taking mine at 7am
    8 AM on a tuesday =]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    The only problem I have is just moving off from slopes on major roads. Those are scary. Whenever I release the breaks, I fear that I'd roll backwards.
    Use the handbrake, hopefully the car has one.

just hold up the handbrake, rev a little, let clutch out to friction point, and release the handbrake as you give gas and release clutch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    856 Posts
    Okay guys ; I passed!

Thanks for all your help! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    good job, now go tear up the roads

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Congratulations.

I was going to find a picture of a license you get in TDU2 and put your stuff in it, but I couldn't find one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Volkswagen and Cigar Aficionado
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    I kinda rushed all my lessons because I'm enlisting in the military next week.
    First a Toyota, then a Bradley!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    October 2009
    5,102 Posts
    put spinning rims on turret on tank
    post results

the tank stops killin but the rims just dont stop dawg

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    put spinning rims on turret on tank
    post results

the tank stops killin but the rims just dont stop dawg
    I've never got why black people put spinners on fucking ANYTHING. Pulled up to a Deawoo Lanos...

Only to see a set of spinners. The rest of the car was a bag of shit olive green colour, rusted and dented to fuck but he still stuck a set of shiny spinners on, plus he was driving with the chair nearly horizontal. Was on the floor with laughter.

Any news with the driving test?

40. Post #40
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    9,969 Posts
    Any news with the driving test?
    Okay guys ; I passed!

Thanks for all your help! :)