1. Post #361
    COMEDY POLICE
    January 2009
    1,763 Posts
    Newbie bloom :

Pro quality bloom :

Edited:

Oh, page king?

Well anyways, that bloom technique was kind of tricky to implement =)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #362
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts

Tell us more! :allears:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

3. Post #363
    May 2008
    746 Posts
    Xerios3 posted:
    Not to be a jerk or anything, but what exactly is the difference between the two?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #364
    July 2010
    1,625 Posts
    :gbsmith:
    This face just made me think I was going crazy, I looked at it and saw it sad then glanced again to see it smiling looked again and it was sad I wondered what the fuck was going on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #365
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,486 Posts
    What the flying fuck??!!!!!1
    The problem I had last night(SFML apps hang before entering main when dynamically linked) just up and solved itself for no reason at all.

Also, story time:
    So my parents and I bought a 3G hotspot because we were going to the Bahamas and the internet isn't cheap there.
    Unfourtantly, for no reason verizon saw it fit to act as if we went over our limit (protip: we didn't) and charged us 500$. My dad went to the store to complain, and they gave us a new 4G hotspot and a discounted rate for 6 months, plus raised our limit to 5GB a month.

The download speed of it is 4MBPS, and the upload is 4.96MBPS. Odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,521 Posts
    Me and iNova were both bored and iNova said he never makes any games so I said let's make a game right now with 0 planning.

So far we have a level editor (mspaint annotations in black):

here's some concept art courtest of the highly artistic iNova:
    a cloud:

another cloud:

a duck:

We're aiming to get it on steam
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic x 17Funny x 3Programming King x 3Winner x 3Zing x 1Informative x 1Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,498 Posts
    That duck doesn't look like me at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #368
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,486 Posts
    Me and iNova were both bored and iNova said he never makes any games so I said let's make a game right now with 0 planning.

So far we have a level editor (mspaint annotations in black):

here's some concept art courtest of the highly artistic iNova:
    a cloud:

another cloud:

a duck:

We're aiming to get it on steam
    This reminds when I told myself that when I turned 18 I'd go down to the Bahamas, and do two thing:
    Write a childrens book, and make a game.

While drunk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    That duck doesn't look like me at all.
    you're just jealous :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    COMEDY POLICE
    January 2009
    1,763 Posts
    Tell us more! :allears:
    Instead of just the traditional 3x3 downsample & blur technique, I used that Direct3D's PIX tool to find out how games that have some great bloom effects like C&C:Twilight did them.

Here's how :

You first downsample the backbuffer into two images, lets call them alpha and beta.
    Alpha is the downsampled ( 1/4th size ) version of the backbuffer.
    Beta is the downsampled ( 1/4th size ) version of Alpha.
    We first blur Beta, and then blend it with Alpha.
    Once we did that, we blur Alpha.
    Then we apply that to the backbuffer
    And we're done !

Actually now that I explained it, it looks quite easy. Oh well

Edited:

Not to be a jerk or anything, but what exactly is the difference between the two?
    You jerk :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #371
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Optimisation for Dummies: Remove the 200 randomly positioned point lights you are using instead of just setting an ambient light level you lazy bastard

:buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #372
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    One looks better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

13. Post #373
    May 2008
    746 Posts
    You jerk :saddowns:
    I mean, they both look great, I just don't see what's different about the second. I've never been very good at comparing graphics.

Also, for everyone who was interested in collaboratively making a game, I'm typing up a separate thread right now, so stay tuned!

Edit: Here it is! http://www.facepunch.com/threads/108...e-Game-Project
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,127 Posts
    One looks better?
    What happened to that Horizon thing that looked godly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events

15. Post #375
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    We need an IRC channel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

16. Post #376
    April 2007
    534 Posts
    I'm sure there will an IRC channel somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #377
    May 2008
    746 Posts
    I'm sure there will an IRC channel somewhere.
    I believe it's #fpcoders on Gamesurge.net
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #378
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1426380/Screen%20shot%202011-04-25%20at%2023.24.52.pngJust started experimenting with fractals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #379
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    Livestreaming again. Switching to C++ now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

20. Post #380
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Livestreaming again. Switching to C++ now.
    TehProgrammr is me I was just joking around
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Watch me try to get Ken Silverman's voxlap engine to compile using NASM and GCC :D

http://www.livestream.com/jawaltcodes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,015 Posts
    How about all the users of WAYWO go to Notch's office and have an intervention?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #383
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    TehProgrammr is me I was just joking around
    Quite funny, btw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

24. Post #384
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    I finally got text centering to look correct. I really don't feel like trying to program anything else tonight.

Here's a demo of what I've got so far. In the menu, hold down the mouse for the bees to follow you. In the (cruddy) demo, hold down the mouse button for the bees to go into a frenzy; holding down a or s increases or decreases the amount of bees in the swarm. Oh, and press escape while in the demo to go back to the menu. There's not really anything to do yet, but... have fun.

It includes the story too, just click the intro button. If you have any suggestions/improvements or notice any faulty facts, I'd like to hear about them.
    am i the only one here who absolutely hates it when people use 8-bit graphics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,498 Posts
    Yes.

Low bit graphics are neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Limitations force creativity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #387
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Stupid matrix -> quaternion conversion math :'( can anyone point me to a reliable source with example code converting a rotation matrix into a quaternion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

28. Post #388

July 2010
    535 Posts
    You must be one of those guys who play call of duty and has a next gen computer to play crysis 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #389
    October 2009
    414 Posts
    Why do you need to go from a matrix to a quaternion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #390

July 2010
    535 Posts
    Limitations force creativity.
    And I can't agree with you more. That's why I'm a fan of "restricted sandbox" games or gamemodes in garry's mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

31. Post #391
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Why do you need to go from a matrix to a quaternion?
    To interpolate two transformation matrices it would be useful to decompose them into a vector & quaternion pair, interpolate those separately, and build a new transformation matrix.

But I don't know how to extract a quaternion from a matrix :(

32. Post #392
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    It's probably a better idea to use pure quaternions to represent rotations and only convert to a matrix when you're ready to send something to the graphics API.
    SLERP is very simple with quaternions. Translations and scales can be handled with a separate LERP.

I'm certain that converting between matrix form and quaternion form repeatedly is going to be expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

33. Post #393
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    It's probably a better idea to use pure quaternions to represent rotations and only convert to a matrix when you're ready to send something to the graphics API.
    SLERP is very simple with quaternions. Translations and scales can be handled with a separate LERP.
    Thanks, that is true, and that's what I'm doing. Sometimes I'm forced to accept a matrix, though, and I need to extract the rotation from it.

34. Post #394
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    I think I have made the perfect program for people that don't know how to program.
    It's called Superpro-grammer and it'll help you code a game where you move a white box around.

When you are done writing the code, you have to press F5 to start the game.

Check it out!
    http://stabyourself.net/Superpro-grammer1.zip

I wanna make it even sillier and a little longer. (Having to keep adding to the code and "testing" it to make the ultimate game)
    (If you don't get it, don't worry. It's supposed to be stupid)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,498 Posts
    No syntax highlighting? D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    I'm printing the text out of a text file and I don't really feel like writing a syntax highlighter :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

37. Post #397
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    I think I have made the perfect program for people that don't know how to program.
    It's called Superpro-grammer and it'll help you code a game where you move a white box around.

When you are done writing the code, you have to press F5 to start the game.

Check it out!
    http://stabyourself.net/Superpro-grammer1.zip

I wanna make it even sillier and a little longer. (Having to keep adding to the code and "testing" it to make the ultimate game)
    (If you don't get it, don't worry. It's supposed to be stupid)
    Wow, that's incredibly well made

38. Post #398
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    * Notch isn't going to add a modding API because it'll take "months" and he won't stop obfuscating code
    Writing a good mod API isn't easy, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #399
    May 2010
    5,394 Posts
    Writing a good mod API isn't easy, you know.
    Just ask null. I mean it only took you what, couple of days to do it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14Zing Zing x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    February 2008
    460 Posts
    Modders already seem to be pretty proficient at making mods for Minecraft; I think the most helpful thing for Notch to do at this point would be to stop obfuscating class names. It doesn't stop modders, all it does is delay them several hours and piss off everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)