1. Post #481
    September 2001
    12,385 Posts
    No, they love updating. They don't feel like they've been fucked up the ass.

When I download new code from Valve I don't think "FUCKING CUNTS". I think "WOW WHAT'S CHANGED THAT'S COOL".

Unless you're actually planning to mod I think it's stupid to be moaning about this. You don't know that it's going to be shit. You don't know anything. So why are you moaning about it on a forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 17Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,085 Posts
    Couldn't someone make a Mod-API mod?

What's the difference between Rhino and V8 besides performance? Is the API just that much easier?
    It's written in Java for Java, you don't have to write a wrapper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #483
    July 2009
    1,265 Posts
    No, they love updating. They don't feel like they've been fucked up the ass.

What I download new code from Valve I don't think "FUCKING CUNTS". I think "WOW WHAT'S CHANGED THAT'S COOL".

Unless you're actually planning to mod I think it's stupid to be moaning about this. You don't know that it's going to be shit. You don't know anything. So why are you moaning about it on a forum.
    Wow easy there turbo.

All I'm saying is in order for modding to be easy and hence successful, it'd be better to have a relatively stable public API then to have everybody trying to target a large volatile codebase. Hell, these things arn't mutually exclusive either. You could even have shitty little mods working on different TC's that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #484
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Wow easy there turbo.

All I'm saying is in order for modding to be easy and hence successful, it'd be better to have a relatively stable public API then to have everybody trying to target a large volatile codebase. Hell, these things arn't mutually exclusive either. You could even have shitty little mods working on different TC's that way.
    You're wrong. Just let it go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 9Agree x 2Disagree x 2Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Wow easy there turbo.

It's all or nothing with MC, unfortunately.

Edited:

I think that's what the modloader's for, although I haven't perused the javadocs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events

6. Post #486
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    You're wrong. Just let it go.
    I concur; a 'mod' in minecraft is a simple feature addition, not what Notch is looking for... He wants things like Zombiecraft -- total conversions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

7. Post #487
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    Back on the rails! Mopping up some of the relatively softball classes - NSError, NSTask, NSTimer, NSHost, NSNotification, NSProxy, NSData, some classes seem to have been updated but not exposed. Thank god the protocols haven't changed since '93. Hopefully the collection classes aren't too gnarly either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,541 Posts

It's written in Java for Java, you don't have to write a wrapper.
    It would definitely be possible for somebody to create a Mod API through a scripting language or something. I would be very surprised if somebody didn't do that.

Edited:

I concur; a 'mod' in minecraft is a simple feature addition, not what Notch is looking for... He wants things like Zombiecraft -- total conversions.
    I think the perfect comprimise would be to make a small modding API with an embedded scripting language AND have the code accessible in this new way.

That would mean that total conversions would be possible, small mods would be possible, and small mods of total conversions would be possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #489
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    But Notch would steal it like a prick. Anyone who changes a game from 'alpha' to 'beta' with only slight additions is a dick: this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    The technically simplest option if Notch wanted to support modding without the baggage would be just to not run the classfiles through an obfuscator. This would give the most implicit support to the mod community - still an improvement from where we are right now.

Edited:

But Notch would steal it like a prick. Anyone who changes a game from 'alpha' to 'beta' with only slight additions is a dick: this.
    The difference between alpha and beta is generally a pile of bugfixes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Thailand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,391 Posts
    Maybe this is just my opinion, but how many mods of that kind will minecraft even see? It seems like the exact opposite of what people really want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,019 Posts
    WINWO v17
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,960 Posts
    The difference between alpha and beta is generally a pile of bugfixes.
    And funnily enough, beta was much buggier than alpha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #494
    September 2001
    12,385 Posts
    r4nk_ is right, unless you're actually working on minecraft can you shut up about it. Or make a minecraft source thread and post in there.

Edited:

Today I finished updating the art for Snabbo, we're aiming to submit on Thursday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #495
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    Please go cry somewhere else and post content :[
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #496
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,454 Posts
    -Snip, wow sorry I didnt see that post.-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,019 Posts
    I'm probably late but garry, have you played Minecraft yet?
    wow just get out

Today I finished updating the art for Snabbo, we're aiming to submit on Thursday.
    What are you making Snabbo with?

I heard someone ask why it isn't going to be released on android if unity can export to both, so I presume you are using unity?

If you are how do you find unity to use, and how is it for 2D games?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    I'm probably late but garry, have you played Minecraft yet?
    How is this remotely relevant?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Can anybody walk me through setting up SFML 1.6 with VC++ 2010 Pro?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,019 Posts
    Can anybody walk me through setting up SFML 1.6 with VC++ 2010 Pro?
    There's a tutorial article written up somewhere bro, just google for compiling SFML with vs2010
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

21. Post #501
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    Follow this except where it says

Go to the Tools / Options menu, then to Projects and Solutions / VC++ Directories
    Instead go to Project -> <project name> Properties -> Configuration Properties -> VC++ Directories and add to the include directories and library directories fields. The rest should be the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,019 Posts
    Follow this except where it says

Instead go to Project -> <project name> Properties -> Configuration Properties -> VC++ Directories and add to the include directories and library directories fields. The rest should be the same.
    Pretty sure you have to compile SFML yourself to get the 2010 binaries, unless you can download them or they come with the 1.6 download now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    September 2001
    12,385 Posts
    wow just get out

What are you making Snabbo with?

I heard someone ask why it isn't going to be released on android if unity can export to both, so I presume you are using unity?

If you are how do you find unity to use, and how is it for 2D games?
    Helk is coding it, not me. I'm just updating the graphics.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #504
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    I think the background could be funkier.

The current one doesn't match the style of the buttons / logo imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    Pretty sure you have to compile SFML yourself to get the 2010 binaries, unless you can download them or they come with the 1.6 download now.
    Damn, you're right. It works up until around the third SFML tutorial, though.

Seems legit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts

Finished my full H-Bridge for the pre-amp of my tesla coil.

Comments also are useful in electronics!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Zing Zing x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #507
    December 2007
    1,113 Posts

meh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Italy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 5Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #508
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Make a puzzle where you have to guide the laser around obstacles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #509
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    The lasers not perfectly connecting to the mirrors triggered my OCD alarm :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

30. Post #510
    March 2011
    297 Posts
    What happens if they get into an infinite loop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,079 Posts
    What happens if they get into an infinite loop?
    How exactly would you do that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Zing Zing x 6Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Polarized mirrors can do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

33. Post #513
    March 2011
    297 Posts
    ...Fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    OGL?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    815 Posts
    Actually, since moving mirrors is instantaneous, there is potential for an infinite loop by moving a fourth mirror in front of a laser emitter to create a loop. It just depends on the implementation - but more than likely, his implementation will just result in no laser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

36. Post #516
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,060 Posts
    I'm going to make a multi-tool application with Java, and I need ideas what to put in it, I got a calculator, and a degree - radians converter now, any more ideas for it, guys?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

37. Post #517
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    I was off at a family thing so I just wanna say my final thing about minecraft. It amazes me that Notch is willing to give the source code out for free to modders, but not to hire someone to develop a mod api.

Anyways, found a bug in mono :(. There is an unhandled exception in the WCF that can't be caught because it is thrown in a thread handled by mono.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

38. Post #518
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts

Finished my full H-Bridge for the pre-amp of my tesla coil.

Comments also are useful in electronics!
    Those transistors the right way around? You usually want common-emitter for an H-bridge, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

39. Post #519
    December 2007
    1,113 Posts
    Actually, since moving mirrors is instantaneous, there is potential for an infinite loop by moving a fourth mirror in front of a laser emitter to create a loop. It just depends on the implementation - but more than likely, his implementation will just result in no laser.
    It's completely turn based. Lasers do not even exist, they're just a list of positions. Laser sprites are added after all calculations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Italy Show Events

40. Post #520
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Those transistors the right way around? You usually want common-emitter for an H-bridge, right?
    It is common emitter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events