1. Post #3161
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    June 2007
    1,658 Posts
    Just a random question: When, in your opinion, a person 'knows' a programming language? Surely people don't master the entire language and all of its extents, yet they still are said to know it.
    I would say someone "knows" a langauge when they can write syntactically correct code without having to use a reference and can write "correct" code that is well designed based on the constraints of the language.

For example notch does not know java
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 31Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #3162
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    People put too much emphasis on the language, rather than general programming theory or problem solving skills.
    I really think that most good programmers can pick up new syntax in a week or less.
    Good. Someone was just bothering me saying "you can't know that many languages, you must be shit at all of them" while in reality it's that easy to learn a new syntax.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3163
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,694 Posts
    Been working all day on rewriting a texture converter tool.

It basically takes a bmp-file and converts it to a custom format, aswell as generate mipmaps using one of three available sampling methods:
    None - Pixel skipping
    Grid - Average color of nearby pixels
    Random - Gets x nearby random pixels, and gets the average of those.

It then outputs it in one of three formats:
    D - Single-byte "depth" image. Useful for bumpmaps and whatnot.
    RGB - Self-explanatory
    RGBA - RGB with an Alpha channel

Next I'll probably try to add TGA and PNG support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

4. Post #3164
    November 2008
    40 Posts

Im playing around with heightmaps generated from perlin noise. I also managed to get it change texture based on height but it's a bit rough at the moment.
    (Directx/C++/HLSL)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Artistic Artistic x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3165
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    Obligatory artistic rating as I'm not entirely sure what is going on...
    "One original thought is worth thousand mindless quotings" - Diogenes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #3166
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,685 Posts
    Good. Someone was just bothering me saying "you can't know that many languages, you must be shit at all of them" while in reality it's that easy to learn a new syntax.
    Learning the syntax of a language does not suddenly make you non-shit at using the language.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #3167
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    Learning the syntax of a language does not suddenly make you non-shit at using the language.
    Most of the time, general programming knowledge added the knowledge of the syntax does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #3168
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,685 Posts
    Most of the time, general programming knowledge added the knowledge of the syntax does.
    Being proficient in a programming language involves being familiar with language idioms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #3169
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    My programmer quality formula:

(total programming experience)* (days using language in last 2 weeks/ 14 days)

Edited:

- project burnout
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #3170
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,694 Posts
    Libpng makes me want to punch innocent children.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly x 9Funny x 7Informative x 2Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #3171
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Libpng makes me want to punch innocent children.
    libpng really isn't that bad at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

12. Post #3172
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts

Oh yeah baby
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Programming King Programming King x 12Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #3173
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts

Oh yeah baby
    Now I have to listen to One More Time again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3174
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    Now I have to listen to One More Time again.
    This dislike bar is as big as Justin Biebers penis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #3175
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    You would know! Ahahaha - heh.

...I'll get my coat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3176
    April 2011
    52 Posts
    Knowing the specifics of a language isn't important. If you suck at design.. you will suck at all languages...If you're good at design then the language really really isn't important. (assuming you're moving between similar approach languages so not a move from OO Prodedural programing to like functional or natural language programming)

P.S Have any other WAYWO people entered this years imagine cup? We put a phone game in for it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Programming King Programming King x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #3177
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,541 Posts
    Those are some fancy graphics Louis. I like the art style.

edit:
    why does FP say you are from "European Union", that's kind of vague.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #3178
    January 2008
    1,148 Posts
    This dislike bar is as big as Justin Biebers penis.
    wow more children in waywo just what we needed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #3179
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    wow more children in waywo just what we needed
    I find you considerably more annoying, frankly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #3180
    May 2011
    135 Posts
    How can I change the font and color of my text and background in Visual Studio so it fits my needs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

21. Post #3181
    January 2008
    841 Posts
    Whenever I try to learn a programming language I just never known what to try and make to help myself learn...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Guernsey Show Events

22. Post #3182
    April 2011
    52 Posts
    How can I change the font and color of my text and background in Visual Studio so it fits my needs?
    You can get several tools for this, you can do it manually or if you just google Visual Studio themes you can find loads
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #3183
    May 2011
    135 Posts
    You can get several tools for this, you can do it manually or if you just google Visual Studio themes you can find loads
    I found this: http://studiostyl.es/ Seems nice enough for finding one. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #3184
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Does everyone else hate

Code:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    ?

It's the most fucking useless error message in the world.

I'm calling a Save() function and the BOs I'm using crash on reading part of the cached database config which is null. I'm 90% certain it's because the caches aren't being populated properly but I can't find any that aren't :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #3185
    April 2011
    52 Posts
    I can't praise premake enough.

http://code.google.com/p/gwen/source...wen%2FProjects

Check that out, and the tree on the left, the project directories.. that's what it generated. Well worth the extra effort.
    I know I'm a day late here
    http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...o-members.html
    but I keep this page in my favourites for when method pointers are fucking with my head

snip... nevermind

26. Post #3186
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    I really think that most good programmers can pick up new syntax in a week or less.
    New syntax, sure

New ideas and methods, no

Edited:

But no one wants to see a C or Java program written in C++ or vice versa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #3187
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,060 Posts
    Is there any MP3 support in Java? I need to play and stop MP3 files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #3188
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts
    Who here uses/used C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition to learn C++?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3189
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,062 Posts
    does anyone know of a program that automatically backs up some files?

Edited:

erm, from multiple folders

30. Post #3190
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    does anyone know of a program that automatically backs up some files?

Edited:

erm, from multiple folders
    Can't you just code that in Python in a few seconds?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #3191
    May 2011
    135 Posts
    I tried to devide by zero in c++, now the program won't close even in task manager. What the fuck do I do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 3 (list)

32. Post #3192
    July 2005
    6,062 Posts
    Can't you just code that in Python in a few seconds?
    on windows?

Edited:

excuse my stupidity
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #3193
    November 2008
    629 Posts
    Wow, I really want to start on some kind of project but I have no clue what to do/try. Any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

34. Post #3194
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    993 Posts
    Uni programming project (We have to do one every 2 weeks), this time it's about pathfinding algorithms.
    First we had to implement Bellman-ford, then Dijkstra, and after that A*.
    My first really implemented pathfinding algos ever ;D

(Standard Edge weight: 4, Yellow (Swamp) edge weight 8, Pink (Mountains) edge weight 10):

As you might have already guessed, A* is the fastest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Programming King Programming King x 5Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #3195
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    on windows?

Edited:

excuse my stupidity
    Code:
    echo off

echo Backing up Files
    echo ""

set slash = "/"
    set stuff = ":"
    set str=%time:~-0,8% %date%
    set str=%str:/=-%
    set str=%str::=.%
    mkdir "backup\%str%"

xcopy MyFolder "backup\%str%\MyFolder" /-Y /H /E /G /K /O /I

echo ""
    echo Done Backing up files
    If you want to do it for example each hour you would create a Scheduled event to run the file each hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

36. Post #3196
    June 2008
    483 Posts
    I got Terraria to compile!

I hate this codebase. I know that decompilation changes stuff a little bit but Main.cs is 9803 lines long and I doubt a decompiler would lengthen it that much. Main.cs contains a method called GetInputText, which (as the name implies) handles texboxes, and it's 252 lines long and full of hacks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 17Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

37. Post #3197
    I love Lemon Punch
    January 2006
    1,268 Posts
    My first really implemented pathfinding algos ever ;D
    A* is the fastest, yes.
    If you want to know more you might want to try different heuristic functions (Chebyshev, Manhattan or Euclidian distance).
    The heuristic function and overestimation you choose will have a major impact on how fast and accurate the algorithm is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

38. Post #3198
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Code:
    echo off

echo Backing up Files
    echo ""

set slash = "/"
    mkdir "backup\%str%"

echo ""
    If you want to do it for example each hour you would create a Scheduled event to run the file each hour.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...spotlight.aspx

and wasn't the terraria developer pissed that people were ripping it to pieces?

39. Post #3199
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,079 Posts
    I got Terraria to compile!

I hate this codebase. I know that decompilation changes stuff a little bit but Main.cs is 9803 lines long and I doubt a decompiler would lengthen it that much. Main.cs contains a method called GetInputText, which (as the name implies) handles texboxes, and it's 252 lines long and full of hacks.
    Not to mention Visual Studio loves me when I tell it to rename something or format the document on Main.cs...

Edited:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...spotlight.aspx

and wasn't the terraria developer pissed that people were ripping it to pieces?
    What exactly did he expect to happen?
    Anyways, if I earned half a million dollars in 2 days, I'd let them do what they want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #3200
    July 2005
    6,062 Posts
    Code:
    echo off

echo Backing up Files
    echo ""

set slash = "/"
    mkdir "backup\%str%"

echo ""
    erm, how exactly would you do that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)