1. Post #1
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    I've been searching for a solution to a problem I've had for quite some time, but I finally decided to ask someone myself. In recent maps I've made from Source SDK (configured with Garry's Mod) the water textures are messed up a bit. When I enter the water it is very murky and brown. I look at peoples' videos and notice the water texture they use is not murky, although mine is, even if I use the same texture. Please help! Pictures are here - http://img825.imageshack.us/g/surfaceq.jpg/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Choose a different water texture? It could be depending on your graphics card as well.

Wasteland002a is a good water texture I found out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    Alright, I will try it. Every texture I've tried is murky. My graphics card, from my understanding, is pretty good. In maps that I have not created like gm_construct, the water is perfect. I must be doing something wrong in the Source SDK.

Edited:

Thank you! The water looks great, unfortunately I can't see the ground whilst in the water. Anyways, it looks better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    What is the graphics card..out of interest.

5. Post #5
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    If you want a crystal clear water texture, you'll have to make your own and disable the fog. Or you could use a cheap water texture and func_water_analog, but that looks really bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    What is the graphics card..out of interest.
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    That's a terrible card. A gs too.

The card is a mid range 7 series, but the budget model. It does not come close to being pretty good. It's won't cause you any problems, but its not a good card. Pretty good in my book is an 8800gt, the best cheap card you can buy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    His avatar suits what he should do to his computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    Hahaha alright thanks.

10. Post #10
    January 2011
    185 Posts
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130572
    Buy that, it is a great card and will surely be a giant upgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Why get a 450. At least do it reasonably right and get a 60.

But the graphics update isn't the only thing to consider. My 7800gtx was in a single core with not much ram. Boosting the graphics would be like putting roadworks on the m25. You get bottlenecks and the system won't perform as well as expected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    I'll look into it, thanks.

Edited:

So something of this nature? http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...01G-P3-1371-AR

13. Post #13
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    I'll look into it, thanks.

Edited:

So something of this nature? http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...01G-P3-1371-AR
    Yes, that'll be perfect. What is your CPU though, because unless it's a good duo (overclocked) or quad you'll get bottlenecking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    My processor is an AMD Anthlon 64 Processor 3200 + 2.00 GHz, which I am pretty sure sucks. Not sure what duo or quad it is. =/

15. Post #15
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    My processor is an AMD Anthlon 64 Processor 3200 + 2.00 GHz, which I am pretty sure sucks. Not sure what duo or quad it is. =/
    Its a single core cpu. You need a total pc upgrade really. Just upping the gfx card won't help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2010
    365 Posts
    Single core cpu... definitely upgrade your PC.

17. Post #17
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    Aight. Thanks.

18. Post #18
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    Here's the thing... I don't know why gm_construct water is crystal clear! My card can obviously run high quality water appearances. Do I need to add lights in my water or anything like that?

Edited:

19. Post #19
    September 2010
    222 Posts
    Are you only applying the water texture to the top face of the water? Not just creating a brush fully made of water? That might be why..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply New Zealand Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    Yes, I am just applying the water brush to the top face of the no-draw texture.

Edited:

Here is what happens when I use a complete brush.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Its just the fog color, try using a different water texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    Its just the fog color, try using a different water texture.
    Which water texture is the least foggy? water_canals03 is the texture I used.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,669 Posts
    You can extract the construct water texture from the GCF for Gmod with GCFScape or GCFExplorer. That way you can get that nicer looking texture.

24. Post #24

May 2011
    2 Posts
    You can extract the construct water texture from the GCF for Gmod with GCFScape or GCFExplorer. That way you can get that nicer looking texture.
    WHAT THE FUCKING monkey fuck shit are you talking about? I've got a Radeon 6850 and don't mod so I wanna know why my water textures are fucked without modding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    WHAT THE FUCKING monkey fuck shit are you talking about? I've got a Radeon 6850 and don't mod so I wanna know why my water textures are fucked without modding.
    Source was made in 2004. The original textures for HL2 are still from around then. So all you need to do is find a texture. You can make your own textures if you aren't happy with the default ones.

same for you OP

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/947...ure?highlight=

Go down to the water section.

26. Post #26
    June 2009
    149 Posts
    What a wonderful first post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27

May 2011
    2 Posts
    okay people, um just looking at water footage, and all of them seem to be murky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    8,099 Posts
    next Terrenteller here folks.

/sarcasm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    next Terrenteller here folks.

/sarcasm
    Speaking of terrent, I haven't seen him post in forever, where is he?

30. Post #30
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    8,099 Posts
    He's labr4t

31. Post #31
    Unbound Moderator
    January 2007
    1,299 Posts
    Somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    Thanks everyone. I'll keep trying. So where do I put the water code?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    in materials\directory where you want it

Edited:

Like materials\water\
    or materials\nature\

34. Post #34
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    oh hey dude, VIDE's website is down, can you put it back online?

35. Post #35
    Unbound Moderator
    January 2007
    1,299 Posts
    It's been down for weeks. Still waiting on the actual owner of the server to sort things out.

36. Post #36
    April 2011
    25 Posts
    I extracted water from gm_construct. Looks much better now.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2010
    1,111 Posts
    I extracted water from gm_construct. Looks much better now.
    Sorry for the bump, I just thought it is better to bump rather than make a new thread so, how does one do this, and does it make it transparent for every map, because it sucks not being able too see anything underwater

38. Post #38
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Sorry for the bump, I just thought it is better to bump rather than make a new thread so, how does one do this, and does it make it transparent for every map, because it sucks not being able too see anything underwater
    Alternativly you could have used the mapping question megathread.

You can use vide or pakrat to open a map and extract the wanted files. Then drop them into the materials folder of your game, and insert them in hammer. It is a water texture in its own right.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2010
    1,111 Posts
    Alternativly you could have used the mapping question megathread.

You can use vide or pakrat to open a map and extract the wanted files. Then drop them into the materials folder of your game, and insert them in hammer. It is a water texture in its own right.
    But how do I do it so every map in gmod uses it?

40. Post #40
    Yes, I am just applying the water brush to the top face of the no-draw texture.
    Oh god. Don't use 3Kliksphillip's tutorials. He'll never learn that his methods are wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)