1. Post #841
    July 2008
    261 Posts
    So the new hull scanner is coming along nicely-- what I ended up doing was to just loop over the constraints, ignore no collides and keep upright, and scan through the rest and keep a list of all entities connected via an actual physical constraint. Next, I scan through again and ONLY obey welds, removing each entity from the old list and adding it to a new list. I'm left with a list of entities connected solidly to the GHD prop, and a list of entities connected via nonsolid constraints. I'll then set it up so the solid connections make it to the hull, and the nonsolid connections are added to the moving parts list. It's not functional as a hull scanner YET, but the algorithm part of it is finished.

EDIT: Later on there will be a SENT version of the tool which will be spawned like a hoverdrive controller. If wire is installed, it will generate inputs, and if wire is not installed, it will just use default settings. Servers will be able to disable the tool in favor of the SENT if need be. The SENT will also have optional LS support so that your gravity hull needs a resource to stay working.

Can I suggest that if you go with the LS Version, that you could optionally increase the Resource drain based on the amount of occupants in the gravity designated hull?

I have my own Gravity Drive that I use for flying my ship,
    I have it so it has increased power consumption based on constrained entities, and it serves 2 purposes.
    1. Its really realistic - more bigger ships = more power to lift.
    2. it makes it harder to build bigger ships, which in turn limits the size of laggy ships to medium size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #842
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    431 Posts
    your client lua file is outdated apparently-- if you're playing a server make sure you have downloads enabled.
    It's a server and all players are having the same issue, downloads are enabled. Server is only running ULX and Wiremod, so nothing that should interfere.

When the client has the addon in their addons folder it works, but it didn't previously require this.

3. Post #843
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,629 Posts
    It's a server and all players are having the same issue, downloads are enabled. Server is only running ULX and Wiremod, so nothing that should interfere.

When the client has the addon in their addons folder it works, but it didn't previously require this.
    I think I know what the problem is. The file that defines the "GravityHull" table isn't being AddCSLuaFile'd.
    EDIT: Just waiting for SuperLlama to reply on Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

4. Post #844
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,142 Posts
    Would it be possible to use this to make some sort of "super space"? Like to put giant stretches of space in a normal sized map.

Because if that's possible space build maps could be made out of giant planets and systems and just have the outer space space be outside the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #845
    February 2011
    1,267 Posts
    Would it be possible to use this to make some sort of "super space"? Like to put giant stretches of space in a normal sized map.

Because if that's possible space build maps could be made out of giant planets and systems and just have the outer space space be outside the map.
    Not possible. For physics to work, Llama has already stated that the props must be inside the map at all times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

6. Post #846
    May 2011
    439 Posts
    Fixed the AddCSLuaFile bug, committed rev 14. Sorry about that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

7. Post #847
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    431 Posts
    Fixed the AddCSLuaFile bug, committed rev 14. Sorry about that.
    You need not be sorry for anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #848
    February 2011
    1,267 Posts
    You are a god amongst men.
    I said that already! LATE

You are a god among men.
    Edited:

You need not be sorry for anything.
    I'm glad he's given me a reason to play Gmod again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #849
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,142 Posts
    Not possible. For physics to work, Llama has already stated that the props must be inside the map at all times.
    What about having them inside the map but just use simulated movement?

Like letting the outside rotate but not move, then just throw all the data that would be going in to moment in to making it seem like things in space are moving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #850
    April 2011
    715 Posts
    Guys, this really is a cool addon. Really, really cool, but I don't understand why everyone and their dog are shitting themselves about it, appreciate it and tell him how nice it is but don't sit there like a bunch of dick riders telling him over and over again how godly he is( no offense to you SuperLlama, this is pretty cool )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #851
    Ask me about my .gif fetish
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    Guys, this really is a cool addon. Really, really cool, but I don't understand why everyone and their dog are shitting themselves about it, appreciate it and tell him how nice it is but don't sit there like a bunch of dick riders telling him over and over again how godly he is( no offense to you SuperLlama, this is pretty cool )
    INFIDEL!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #852
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,629 Posts
    People aren't telling him over and over. It's a different person each time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #853
    October 2007
    58 Posts
    ... I don't understand why everyone and their dog are shitting themselves about it...
    First off, your post here is an obvious troll.

Second, walking around inside a moving vehicle has been one of the fundamental missing elements in Garrys mod since the very beginning. It's been halff-assed with the use of seats and vehicles but finally someone has solved it properly through some very clever coding. SuperLlama deserves the props.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #854
    July 2007
    1,609 Posts
    Was playing space build when i noticed something. I dont have to weld the props to the gravity hull since they wont move anyways. but if i make it a gravity hull after i put the part in it it disappears.

15. Post #855
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,629 Posts
    Was playing space build when i noticed something. I dont have to weld the props to the gravity hull since they wont move anyways. but if i make it a gravity hull after i put the part in it it disappears.
    You mean if you place non-frozen, non-welded props in a contraption, and then GHD it, the props disappear?

16. Post #856
    July 2007
    1,609 Posts
    You mean if you place non-frozen, non-welded props in a contraption, and then GHD it, the props disappear?
    well it was welded together. I think the horrid server lag had something to contribute.

17. Post #857
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,329 Posts
    Not sure if this has been made known yet.

But SBEP elevators made with the lift designer do not collide with the player. Instead, you end up falling right through the lift.

(Atleast you can walk into the elevator now that the doors are fixed thank god)

18. Post #858
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    74 Posts
    This, is, awesome.

19. Post #859
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,718 Posts
    Probably late, but you can make submarines by creating a gravity hull, and putting it underwater.

Still suffers from the clipping bug, but no general water effects, like drowning, which is good for a submarine.

Even though it renders players invisible inside the hull.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #860
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,429 Posts
    I don't remember a time when parents ever did collide with the player.
    I believe parented props collide with the player, but not other props... but what I'm noticing is that parented props aren't considered part of the gravity hull. Walking from a rotated gravity-hulled prop onto a child of it functions the same as leaving the gravity hull.

This is a really cool addon. I love the way you've been supporting it so far- it's a really nice piece of work.

21. Post #861
    May 2011
    439 Posts
    But SBEP elevators made with the lift designer do not collide with the player.
    Investigating.

Parents are not constraints so they won't be added as part of the hull unless you also weld them (if that's even possible).

22. Post #862
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,235 Posts
    Any SB3 servers with this?

23. Post #863
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Investigating.

Parents are not constraints so they won't be added as part of the hull unless you also weld them (if that's even possible).
    Have a look at the Super Parent Multi tool, It does some weird things where the children still have physics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #864
    March 2011
    48 Posts
    Mine: 89.145.94.221:27045.

It's not great. But it works. Default SB3... Meh, dunno if anyone could give me a hand with it. (It works as it is.)

25. Post #865
    November 2009
    9,518 Posts
    So... Out of curiosity, is it possible to simply apply this to a single prop instead of using multiple props?

If that's not possible, ever considered adding a way for the tool itself to create the ceiling?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Late Late x 5 (list)

26. Post #866
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    So... Out of curiosity, is it possible to simply apply this to a single prop instead of using multiple props?

If that's not possible, ever considered adding a way for the tool itself to create the ceiling?
    Update.

27. Post #867
    May 2011
    439 Posts
    So lifts work with ComputeShadowControl, which I can override to fix them. Pretty straightforward and it might fix other mods in the future.

28. Post #868
    July 2007
    45 Posts
    Diaspora: 69.90.34.232:27017

Crapton of custom addons, knowledgeable community, etc.

29. Post #869
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,434 Posts
    Could you add a some way of telling how high the vertical protrusion factor is? Like a bar or something that goes up, it's hard to tell how high you should make the value.

30. Post #870
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Could you add a some way of telling how high the vertical protrusion factor is? Like a bar or something that goes up, it's hard to tell how high you should make the value.
    I'm pretty sure it's in Source Units.

31. Post #871
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,434 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it's in Source Units.
    Whats that roughly equivalent to ? A foot?

32. Post #872
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Whats that roughly equivalent to ? A foot?
    2 centimeters.

For reference, an inch is roughly 2.65 cm.

I think.

33. Post #873
    January 2009
    3,939 Posts
    I think a player is 60 units. May want to nab a measure stool or a ranger or summat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

34. Post #874
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #875
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Investigating.

You can weld them, that's how tools like SuperParent work. The welding brings back their physics model, which for some reason drops to the ground when you parent.

36. Post #876
    February 2009
    732 Posts
    My server is running this:
    \=\www.Red-City.org/=/ MelonbearD's Build! - 69.197.189.11:27015

37. Post #877
    Click for bunny <3
    September 2010
    1,385 Posts
    Please make a video with it! For the people who currently are unable to play.
    I sure will, I'll post it in this thread later tommorow!

38. Post #878
    May 2011
    439 Posts
    Finally got sbep lift support working, probably going to commit as soon as I make sure there are no other fixes I can sneak in.

EDIT:
    listening to baba yetu on loop while TRULY fixing SB3 support, once and for all (hopefully!) :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Lua King Lua King x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #879
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,080 Posts
    All we need is for queryphys to get clientside prediction and we can shrink sandbox and make... I dunno, bigger maps or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

40. Post #880
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    All we need is for queryphys to get clientside prediction and we can shrink sandbox and make... I dunno, bigger maps or something.
    I'm sorry, but...

lol wut
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)