1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,023 Posts

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GQDU-2qMre0

Miami Vice is an American television series produced by Michael Mann for NBC. The show became noted for its heavy integration of music and visual effects to tell a story. The series starred Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas as two Metro-Dade Police Department detectives working undercover in Miami. It ran for five seasons on NBC from 19841989. The USA Network later began airing reruns the next year, in 1990, and actually broadcast an originally unaired episode during its syndication run of the series on January 25, 1990.
    Unlike standard police procedurals, the show drew heavily upon 1980s New Wave culture and music. It is recognized as one of the most influential television series of all time.[1] People magazine stated that Miami Vice "was the first show to look really new and different since color TV was invented."[1] Reruns of the series later aired on the FX from 1996-1999. Then in 2006 the cable network TV Land aired episodes for about a year. The same year the series began airing on the Sleuth network in United States until 2008, and now episodes air on the Centric network, MBC Action in the Arab World, Iris in Italy, NRK3 in Norway, Viasat TV6 in Sweden, Viasat 3+ in Denmark, TV7 in Bulgaria, TV3 in Estonia, ZDF in Germany, and 111 Hits in Australia.
    I picked up the first series while bored and I'm currently halfway through the second series. The show itself is probably one of, if not the best cop shows Ive ever watched. It was slick and stylish 25 years ago and I must say is even better today. I always knew of the program from playing Vice city which has an unlimited amount of homages to it, that and Scarface.The style of the show and the mood is iconic, it simply oozes coolness. we are introduced to Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs, one a Southern cop and the other a tough New York cop, an unlikely pairing and one that has been redone a million times since the creation of the show by others that came after it. Here is a basic lowdown of the characters and some info about the show:

Sonny Crockett:

A Detective Sergeant of the Metro-Dade Police Department and an undercover detective in the Organized Crime Bureau - Vice Division. Crockett comes across as an aloof, laid-back, Southern policeman but in reality is a very dedicated officer who plays "by the book" and is tenacious to catch the criminals and get them off the street. He is a widower with one child, a son named Billy (b. 1978) from his first marriage with Caroline Crockett that ended in divorce. He is the partner of Metro-Dade Detective Sergeant Ricardo "Rico" Tubbs, he also has a pet alligator called Elvis who lives on his boat
    Ricardo Tubbs

A Detective Sergeant of the Metro-Dade Police Department and an undercover detective in the Organized Crime Bureau - Vice Division. Tubbs is a former NYPD Armed Robbery Detective who maintains contacts in the "big bad Bronx". His thoroughness in investigating players in cases (and in some cases friends) and an ability to take emotion out of the facts compliments him with his partner, Sonny Crockett. He also has a taste for sharp suits. In GTA Vice City he played Lance Vance.
    Lieutenant Castillo

a Detective Lieutenant of the Metro-Dade Police Department and the Commander of the Organized Crime Bureau - Vice Division. Castillo is a former agent for the DEA, specializing in Southeast Asian operations, and a thorough investigator who would, on occasion, go into the field to stop drug cartels and other OCB-handled crimes. Castillo is very mysterious in his ways, almost always wearing a black tie, white shirt, black sportscoat and black pants; taken to sleeping in his office on particularly difficult, complex (and sometimes personal) cases; speaking in a low tone unless angered; and having an icy staredown that he used on peers, superiors, and others to display his disappointment in a situation's outcome without words.
    Castillo's taciturn, rough exterior masked a compassionate, deeply caring man who was loyal to his team, often going out on a limb to help one or more of his detectives succeed in a case where departmental red tape prevented it and using his extensive network of contacts in government (both state and federal) for assistance

Larry Zito and
    Stan Switek

a Detective of the Metro-Dade Police Department and an undercover detective in the Organized Crime Bureau - Vice Division. Zito performed surveillance duties with Stan Switek in their "Bug Van". Zito was murdered by Oswaldo Guzman, a gambler he was working undercover to bring down, in 1987.
    a Detective of the Metro-Dade Police Department and an undercover detective in the Organized Crime Bureau - Vice Division. Switek is a laid-back, wanna-be comedian who doesn't take life seriously, but does take his police work seriously. He is an expert in surveillance of all kinds, but also has a secret gambling addiction that he was working on. Switek performed surveillance duties with Larry Zito in their "Bug Van".

Gina Calabrese and Trudy Joplin

a Detective of the Metro-Dade Police Department and an undercover detective in the Organized Crime Bureau - Vice Division. Calabrese is a very dependable detective who was able to crack cases by doing the so-called "grunt work" with her partner, Trudy Joplin, working with the local prostitutes to get information on cases, as well as go undercover to bring down terrorists, mobsters, and drug lords
    a Detective of the Metro-Dade Police Department and an undercover detective in the Organized Crime Bureau - Vice Division. Trudy, along with fellow detective Gina Calabrese, were the "lures" for prostitution johns in the Miami streets. Trudy is also a strong-willed policeman who takes her job seriously, and follows cases she is involved in to the end, regardless of the cost.
    The Cars, Boats, and Guns

Ferrari Daytona:

used in the 1st and second series, really cool looking but not as cool as the Ferrari Testarossa,    It gets blown up by a pissed off Liam Neeson in Series 3   

Ferrari Testarossa:

The most iconic car in the series, some day if I ever get rich I'm buying one of these.

Scarab

Later seen in Vice City.

Bren 10

Used from the 2nd series to the fifth, by Sonny.

Cameos

Little richard:

Bruce Willis:

Phil Collins (an entire episode)

Ben Stiller:

Liam Neeson:

George Takei:

Theres a shit load more cameos, Have a look for yourself: http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Cate...ce_Guest_Stars

Also of not, the music was done by Jan Hammer, this guy:

Have a look at the series, its brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2009
    8,000 Posts
    I will check it out sometime

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,043 Posts
    Best cop series ever. I've dressed like Sonny Crockett for years cos of this show
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,020 Posts
    Brilliant show, first few seasons are the best.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    726 Posts
    Yeah I like crime/cop series (for me in first line my german series like SOKO Leipzig etc.) but I just love Miami Vice. My father has the complete collection, watching this is very very awesome every time again.

6. Post #6
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,620 Posts
    Sonny Crockett is probably one of the coolest character to ever appear on TV.

7. Post #7
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    I've been looking for a TV-series from the 80s to follow,
    perhaps I'll choose this.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Magnum PI is another fucking awesome show about cop guys in Ferrari's while in tropical environments.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,023 Posts
    Just watched Season 2's "were the buses don't run" One of the best episodes Ive seen so far.

the first 5 minutes complete with the opening song by the who.