1. Post #1
    boy i sure do love it when my title doesnt fit
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    Hey all, this is my first thread in this section and i'm most likely going to get a box fort for this but hey, i'm interested in who might like to help.

So, if you have played the game "Uplink" you either love it or hate it, i for one love it and have wanted to make a clone of it for some time but never really got past the planning and UI stage.
    So this is the part that will get me the fabulous fort i have wanted since i was a little child.
    Where should i start and what should i use to make it?
    Could anyone help?
    I was thinking about using XNA but i tried learning that a year or two back and i stopped after i made a few height maps and really don't remember much about it.

So, what should i use to actually make the clone?
    And would anyone here be interested in helping?

And if anyone is interested on what i already have, post here and i'l hand out what i have so far, including the previous fails i did in my spare time.
    If you don't know what uplink is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplink_(video_game)

2. Post #2
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Why clone it when you could just make it similar?

3. Post #3
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    I mean "Clone" in the way that Titan Quest is a "Clone" of Diablo

4. Post #4
    Satanic Member
    September 2005
    1,021 Posts
    I mean "Clone" in the way that Titan Quest is a "Clone" of Diablo
    So not a clone, but okay.

5. Post #5
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    I always thought Clone just meant game mechanics that were almost exactly the same, but that's not really the point.

It should be easier than most projects, since it should be entirely 2D and mainly comprised of text, but i still don't know exactly how to start from what i have already, pen and paper plans.

6. Post #6
    Satanic Member
    September 2005
    1,021 Posts
    I always thought Clone just meant game mechanics that were almost exactly the same, but that's not really the point.

It should be easier than most projects, since it should be entirely 2D and mainly comprised of text, but i still don't know exactly how to start from what i have already, pen and paper plans.
    Find out what graphics library you are going to use for whatever language you use.

7. Post #7
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    I know python more than anything else, but i'm not sure it would come out as the cleanest looking thing.
    Should i stick with python or piss off to something like C++ with SDL.

8. Post #8
    Satanic Member
    September 2005
    1,021 Posts
    If you are going C++, don't bother with SDL and go to SFML.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9

September 2007
    398 Posts
    I loved this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    I loved this game.
    Any suggestions would be great, if I'm the only one giving myself ideas chances are i will make it terrible

11. Post #11
    September 2007
    1,009 Posts
    You probably want to start by choosing your language and graphics library, if your more competent with python I suggest you stick with that, then you either need to find a library to support your GUI needs or create one yourself. After that you can begin working on your game.

12. Post #12
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    SFML works with Python so i guess i'l see what i can do with that.

Edited:

Cant get SFML running with Python3.1 for some reason, it just refuses to run anything without any errors.
    I'l get C++ Express tomorrow, going to be a change from my usual editor and compiler.

Edited:

I'm not the best at C++, so chances are i'm going to hit a few bumps along the road.
    Only ever done basic text based RPG's in it, and again if anyone wants to help out with art or a clean UI go for it, the one i have at the moment looks like windows 98 IMO

13. Post #13

May 2011
    47 Posts
    Just want to point out that the Uplink sourcecode is available on the Developer CD:
    http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink...velopercd.html

Loved this game.

14. Post #14
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    I know that, i have seen most of it but i don't want to do it the way they did.
    I'd rather make the entire thing from scratch with the idea in mind, in the end it should run smoother and i can add anything without stress of limitations from what they did way back when.

I could finish a small portion of it, only to realise "Hey, i could get *** to work like ***" without coding around what has already been done.

15. Post #15
    April 2007
    731 Posts
    Wouldn't it be great if there was an Uplink-esque MMO? It would be much more interesting pretending to hack real people than a scripted AI.

It would never take off though.

Edited:

Thinking back, I think there actually was a browser game along similar lines. Wasn't anywhere near as well made as Uplink though.

16. Post #16
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    There were a few java games, then slavehack and etc.

There is no way i'm going to try and put any form of MMO stuff in this, i don't have the money or the time to keep that sort of thing running.

17. Post #17
    March 2008
    1,845 Posts
    My mum used to say

"Are you sure you're not REALLY hacking?"

Good times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    Oh god, all the teachers at my school that think hollywood hacking is how it actually happens.

"You are typing up a report for your boss and some hacker breaks into your computer and writes bad things on it"

Hurp durp, it's not even on the network.

Edited:

I might just do this in XNA TBH, it would make it alot easier to distribute to people since i have made things in it before.