HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Any advice on how to adventure mode? All I've done is the normal DF
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #3722
    April 2009
    1,644 Posts
    My dwarves wont place any stone in my new stone stockpiles. Any ideas for troubleshooting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

3. Post #3723
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,089 Posts
    My dwarves wont place any stone in my new stone stockpiles. Any ideas for troubleshooting?
    Yes. Use a 1 tile size garbage dump instead of stockpiles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

4. Post #3724
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Is there a way to automatically put stone in a dump?

5. Post #3725
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    Yes. Use a 1 tile size garbage dump instead of stockpiles.
    Cheating. Craft your excess stone into near-worthless trinkets and baubles like a man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #3726
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,826 Posts
    "his guts is fractured"

Oh god what.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #3727
    April 2009
    1,644 Posts
    snip

8. Post #3728
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,015 Posts
    Cheating. Craft your excess stone into near-worthless trinkets and baubles like a dwarf.
    ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #3729
    Pickriddles is full of fuck.

We got raided by sasquatches. They smashed our trade depot, killed a wood cutter and our trade appraiser, then proceeded to rip the hands and feet off of the members of an Elven caravan that just arrived before savagely beating them to death. No idea why. They were pretty peaceful when we first started. I've gotten everybody inside and have locked the gates. Nothing gets in or out.

Our senior gem cutter went insane because of the death of the appraiser and stomped some cats to death. Miasma is everywhere. Tantrum spiral is imminent.

Meanwhile, our dogs are fighting with racoons that are running around in the woods. We've had bodies laying around the fort now for five years that nobody's bothered to clean up or salvage.

Thank god we make coffins and caskets for our sustenance.

Edited:

Now, our apprentice bone carver and senior gem cutter are apparently working in tandem. The bone carver has lost his mind and is strangling dogs.

Edited:

Fort's fucked. Everybody started murdering each other and everything in sight. The only person that escaped immediate death was the gem cutter, but he froze out in the woods.

I love DF.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #3730
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts
    What time is it?

Time to try and mod in aboveground silk sources, a subterranean source of ivory, and a source of pearls that actually exist.

11. Post #3731
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,020 Posts
    Pickriddles is full of fuck.

We got raided by sasquatches. They smashed our trade depot, killed a wood cutter and our trade appraiser, then proceeded to rip the hands and feet off of the members of an Elven caravan that just arrived before savagely beating them to death. No idea why. They were pretty peaceful when we first started. I've gotten everybody inside and have locked the gates. Nothing gets in or out.

Our senior gem cutter went insane because of the death of the appraiser and stomped some cats to death. Miasma is everywhere. Tantrum spiral is imminent.

Meanwhile, our dogs are fighting with racoons that are running around in the woods. We've had bodies laying around the fort now for five years that nobody's bothered to clean up or salvage.

Thank god we make coffins and caskets for our sustenance.

Edited:

Now, our apprentice bone carver and senior gem cutter are apparently working in tandem. The bone carver has lost his mind and is strangling dogs.

Edited:

Fort's fucked. Everybody started murdering each other and everything in sight. The only person that escaped immediate death was the gem cutter, but he froze out in the woods.

I love DF.
    This is the true essence of Dwarf Fortress.

NOW DO IT ALL AGAIN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

12. Post #3732
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,172 Posts
    What time is it?

Time to try and mod in aboveground silk sources, a subterranean source of ivory, and a source of pearls that actually exist.
    Aboveground silk: Add it in as gnome beards that you can harvest if you kill and butcher them.

Subterranean ivory: Cave elephants (GOOD LORD)

Pearls: uh... Titan material?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #3733
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I'm still adamant on trying to get a DF Succession game going.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that nobody would care/would back out in the middle of their turn... again.

Edited:

Aboveground silk: Add it in as gnome beards that you can harvest if you kill and butcher them.

Elephantmen?

[disgusting image of the Elephant man goes here]

14. Post #3734
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts

Silk: Thinking of something to add to hives since, you know, there's currently only bees (and let's face it, they're kinda eh as is.) Would give people reason to make hive farms again.

Ivory: I was thinking of Cave Elephants, or maybe a massive toothy worm with a gaping maw of 4-6 tusks connected with flesh (sorta like a massive bloodworm.)

this little bastard

Pearls: Probably will be either giant cave clams (both standard and black pearl variety) or a sort of animal when slain and butchered produces dozens of pearls, probably an herbivore (could be tamed/domesticated) that consumes large amounts of cave moss at any one time (along with the ground in the process,) keeps the irritant soil in it's gullet and thus forms pearls that way.

15. Post #3735
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that nobody would care/would back out in the middle of their turn... again.
    I would care but I am awful at this game and I will probably destroy the fortress on my turn without accomplishing anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

16. Post #3736
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    7,755 Posts

Edited:

Elephantmen?

[disgusting image of the Elephant man goes here]
    I'd play it. I'm pretty good at DF too.

17. Post #3737
    June 2010
    2,253 Posts
    I'd play it. Prepare for a ton of smoothing and migrant masons though.

18. Post #3738
    April 2009
    1,644 Posts
    will building destroyers target floodgates?

19. Post #3739
    June 2010
    2,158 Posts
    I'd play but the problem I find is that there is often little to do in the later turns other than to just let it tick over.

You have to get pretty lucky in locations of individual ambitions to get a good game going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #3740
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,826 Posts
    will building destroyers target floodgates?
    yep. Just had a fortress I sealed with floodgates, trolls went right through them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #3741
    Dennab
    November 2009
    2,472 Posts
    I've never played far enough to encounter "fun" yet, reading boatmurdered though was probably the funniest and by far the most amazing video-game story i've read/heard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #3742
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,404 Posts
    Classwork...take up DF again...classwork....take up DF again....classwork......new fortress it is. Can't wait for all the "fun" that always comes with a first fortress after not playing in months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3743
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,964 Posts

Interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #3744
    OBLIVIOUS
    September 2011
    559 Posts
    I would do a succession game even though i'm not that good at dwarf fortress i don't think (i can at least work everything)

Writing up the story would be fun, but you would have to choose an interesting start location so everyone has something to do and we would need someone to organise everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

25. Post #3745
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,685 Posts

I win
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #3746
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,089 Posts
    Devlog
    Lots of drop the spear, come back, get the spear today. And drop the backpack, leave, come back, see if there are still objects contained inside. You can now place a dagger, say, out in the woods far from any site and find it later on. Your adventurers that get jumped out in the wilderness will also have findable remains/objects that you can go grab in your next game or embark upon with your dwarves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

27. Post #3747
    June 2010
    6,257 Posts
    I wouldn't mind taking part in a succession, but the main issue is the location that everyone would want, and keeping everyone to time limits (the sort of issue I'd have)
    Fuck, had left the page on my PC 3 hours ago and forgot

Devlog
    Wonder if they'll rob items that you leave, too. You could leave a load of armour out, come around later and see if the locals have robbed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #3748
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,397 Posts
    Devlog
    This just makes the idea of artifacts changing owners in the legends mode even more exciting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3749
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,089 Posts
    I hope this means that exploring an old fort in adventure mode won't have your fort's items scattered all over the landscape but they stay at their original locations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

30. Post #3750
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    666 Posts
    I hope this means that exploring an old fort in adventure mode won't have your fort's items scattered all over the landscape but they stay at their original locations.
    Imagine making a levers puzzle in your fortress for an adventurer that leads to a treasure chamber with a suit of adamantine armour and assorted weapons. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #3751
    June 2010
    6,257 Posts
    Imagine making a levers puzzle in your fortress for an adventurer that leads to a treasure chamber with a suit of adamantine armour and assorted weapons. :)
    And a single caged honey badger with a pressure plate to release it right by the only way in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #3752
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Devlog
    I kind of want to "cheat" by bringing in tons of adventurers to leave a ton of extra goods on my new embark area.

33. Post #3753
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Perhaps we should do a succession game after the new update hits? That way we wouldn't have to worry about breaking anything from the update?

And maybe we could make a list, while we're at it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #3754
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,048 Posts
    Ask random people for quests, hire followers and don't run around outside at night or the boogiement will get you (they attack out of nowhere in swarms). Ask peasants to let you sleep inside their houses or you will get thrown out if you try without permission.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

35. Post #3755
    June 2010
    6,257 Posts
    Right, I'm bored of this fortress, I used DF hack to see that the magma was 100z down, and there's little coal. Just gonna finish my towers, then it'll be time to drop 1/3 of the fortress population off my bridge down into my drymoat, and see what happens. Then I can see if I can find it in adventure mode. (this one's only 3 years in)

Oh god, accidently unpaused when using DF-Reveal. Time to unleash the circus.

36. Post #3756
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,397 Posts
    Strangle zombies and throw endless amounts of sand around in a desert
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

37. Post #3757
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,444 Posts
    Right, I'm bored of this fortress, I used DF hack to see that the magma was 100z down, and there's little coal. Just gonna finish my towers, then it'll be time to drop 1/3 of the fortress population off my bridge down into my drymoat, and see what happens. Then I can see if I can find it in adventure mode. (this one's only 3 years in)

Oh god, accidently unpaused when using DF-Reveal. Time to unleash the circus.
    You should use the new version of DFHack. Normal reveal doesn't reveal the circus, reveal    hell    reveals it but doesn't let you unpause.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

38. Post #3758
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,354 Posts
    Oh shoot what one of my children went on a tantrum because he got annoyed by flies and started a war by pushing half the Human caravan off the bridge into my moat filled with spikes.

I'm going to make that fucker face the siege alone this is unacceptable!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 4 (list)

39. Post #3759
    June 2010
    6,257 Posts
    You should use the new version of DFHack. Normal reveal doesn't reveal the circus, reveal    hell    reveals it but doesn't let you unpause.
    Thanks mate, didn't realise I was out of date. The FPS drop ruined my plans of devastation and I had to abandon ship.

40. Post #3760
    This is the true essence of Dwarf Fortress.

NOW DO IT ALL AGAIN
    Definitely one of my more interesting playthroughs. Most of the time I'll just get raided by goblins or some such other monstrosity and have a bunch of dwarves die, then all will be lost because of an ensuing tantrum spiral. Sasquatches... never had that happen before.

New fortress is called Boatsmoistened. We live in a foul, alligator-infested freshwater swamp. We build cups. And chairs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)