1. Post #4001
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,746 Posts
    Finally, they all have perished. It took way too long, while I was murdering them two huge waves of migrants came and I had to kill them too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

2. Post #4002
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,940 Posts
    Two of my dwarves went insane, and one suicided
    Unfortunately the second is a miner, and he has many friends.How can I get rid of him without anyone knowing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

3. Post #4003
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Can someone explain the danger room to a laydwarf like myself? The wiki confused me, what with the clock timers and the dwarf logic gates...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #4004
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,152 Posts
    Can someone explain the danger room to a laydwarf like myself? The wiki confused me, what with the clock timers and the dwarf logic gates...
    1. Make room
    2. Make wooden spears
    3. Fill room with weapon traps using wooden spears
    4. Hook all the traps up to a lever
    5. Fill the room with dwarves
    6. Set 'pull lever' to repeat
    7. Dwarves come out men.

On a side note, lets say I wanted to make a world with lava oceans. How would I go about that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #4005
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,433 Posts
    Just make a room with a door, lay a bunch of upright weapon traps and rig them to a lever. You don't need any fancy shit, just stick all your trainees into the room, lock it and assign a dorf to repeat pulling th lever.

Nvm, sniped :(

6. Post #4006
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,419 Posts
    Danger rooms are so cheap.

Which is exactly why I love them so much.
    They're perfectly fine. It's either that or training a military for 5+ years just to have them be competent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #4007
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I just lost a dwarf to impalement via oaken training spear.
    I am saddened and disappointed in my dwarves.
    :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #4008
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    This is why you should always wear shoes in the danger room.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #4009
    April 2009
    1,644 Posts
    make sure there are no dwarven mothers, and set doors to Not Pet passable. Alternatively, look on the wiki.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #4010
    Dennab
    November 2009
    2,472 Posts
    Lost a bowyer to a fey mood, he didn't claim a workshop so i kinda forgot about him after a while. At least i had fun watching everyone invade the room i locked him in for bits of clothing. The only thing is my Gemcutter wants rock bars (which apparently means metal bars) and i've only just found metal, hopefully i can get some charcoal and get the workshops up in time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

11. Post #4011
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,419 Posts
    This is why you should always wear shoes in the danger room.
    I've had dwarves in full adamantine plate armor die in my danger room.

Nobody is safe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4012
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,622 Posts
    I've had dwarves in full adamantine plate armor die in my danger room.

Nobody is safe.
    Make a 6x6 danger room.

Make all of the spear traps wooden except for one, which is masterwork adamantine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #4013
    May 2009
    520 Posts
    hmm, a king arrived and it bugged out on me or something. I can't give him anything he requires because he dosen't show up on the list.

He does however show up on my animal list, so I can throw him in a pit or chain him up if I want. Anyone else have this happen to them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

14. Post #4014
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Make a 6x6 danger room.

Make all of the spear traps wooden except for one, which is masterwork adamantine.
    Dwarven Roulette? If you win, you get stronger. If you lose...

15. Post #4015
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,940 Posts
    Another Goblin Assault
    My Dwarves don't have any weapons and the only water source is outside
    What should I do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

16. Post #4016
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,956 Posts
    So I finally got to put the steroid dwarves to the test, as a double goblin ambush attacked when we let a caravan in.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

17. Post #4017
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Another Goblin Assault
    My Dwarves don't have any weapons and the only water source is outside
    What should I do?
    If you don't think it's cheating, just wall in from the goblins, and if you're not at the caverns yet, you should be able to find water there, although there's other dangers.

18. Post #4018
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,136 Posts
    when i make long elaborate traps and systems i touch myself uncontrollably
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny x 3Agree x 2Winner x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #4019
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,165 Posts
    I don't play DF but I occasionally lurk the DF forums and this thread.

The shit you guys go through is fucking hilarious. This game is amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #4020
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,136 Posts
    today i had an elven caravan come to my depot

i walled them off until they went insane

one elf attacked his horse and beat all its limbs off until it was in a coma and spewing blood everywhere

Edited:

i will get a pic hold on

Edited:

aftermath

also my dwarves took all the elven stuff and for some reason put it on the opposite side of my mass stockpile, away from their goods
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

21. Post #4021
    boy i sure do love it when my title doesnt fit
    December 2009
    6,315 Posts
    today i had an elven caravan come to my depot

i walled them off until they went insane

one elf attacked his horse and beat all its limbs off until it was in a coma and spewing blood everywhere

Edited:

i will get a pic hold on

Edited:

aftermath

also my dwarves took all the elven stuff and for some reason put it on the opposite side of my mass stockpile, away from their goods
    mean

Alright ima start a new adventurer then right a story depicting his life as said adventurer.
    Chances are he'l get killed by bogeymen on the first night.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #4022
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,940 Posts
    How can I autoequip my military with the best weapons available?
    And how do you use DwarfTheraphist for modifying labors? I can't find such option anywhere
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

23. Post #4023
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    946 Posts
    Having been plagued by an endless stream of goblin ambushes and sieges, I have decided that my military's current losses are unsustainable.

I have begun a project to dig down until I find a metal more hardy than iron.

~

40 floors down, I have discovered an enormous cavern. Metal content is minimal but giant cave spider counts are exceeding expectations.
    A wall has been erected and the cave will be explored in due time, but the metal hunt takes priority.

~

My crafty dwarves outsmarted me and hunters are making attempts to slay the giant cave spiders.
    Hunting trip unsuccessful, Lor Emuthgoden has perished.

~

Oh god half the fortress is down here trying to pick up various good scattered about what are they doing

~

they're all trapped in webs oh no sending on the military

~

in true dwarven fashion, my miners are still carrying on with the downward passage
    around z-level ~30 with nothing but some lousy gems
    one of the miners also had to beat a hungry head to death

~

Behold, the beast is slain!

~

Warm stone located at z-level 10
    If nothing else I may be able to pull a magma forge out of this situation.
    Construction begins on expansion of the floor.

~

Carefully navigating around the warm stone to see how deep I can get.
    I have lowered the mining operation 4 staircases lower.
    Still no sign of the adamantine I seek.

~

A blind cave ogre has begun a barbaric conquest through my mining team.
    Military inbound.

~

I don't know what a crundle is but those are attacking alongside a giant cave swallow
    This military venture might end up costing more lives than it was meant to save

~~

Situation is under control.
    Mining expedition has reached -2.
    Still no sign of anything useful.

Scratch that, -2 consists of semi molten rock.
    Don't think it's possible to go further.

I guess I'll spread out mining passages along -1 in search of adamantine.

~

Raw Adamantine! Praise the miners!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

24. Post #4024
    June 2010
    6,202 Posts
    I don't know what a crundle is
    I could tell you, but even I am not that sadistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #4025
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,533 Posts
    They spit bullets/fire/whatever else.
    they're self-supplied?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

26. Post #4026
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,914 Posts
    So if your civ doesn't have a king or queen, what happens when you fulfil the king/queen conditions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #4027
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,033 Posts
    -snip late-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

28. Post #4028
    Gold Member

May 2011
    585 Posts
    My adveturer just died because he could not breathe be cause he landed on his head when he ran away from bogeyman,Oh dwarf fortress where you die from landing 1z level
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

29. Post #4029
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,698 Posts
    Devlog
    The squid/octo ink clouds and cuttlefish sepia ink clouds and a new hide effect finish off the work on sponsorship creatures, at least for this release. We'll add more critter properties in the future as it comes up. We've got crayon art to draw tomorrow, and the usual month endiness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #4030
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    502 Posts
    they're self-supplied?
    Yes they are basically animals as dwarfs can some time bring a pet turret during migrant waves. Also because they spit and don't shoot like bows and crossbows they will not fire through fortifications and do not have dwarfs near it when it fires as they might get caught in whatever it spits out(fucking lost my oldest and best axe-dwarf to a hellfire turret. It was promptly thrown into a Volcano). They are rather weak but depending on the type they can take on anything from just a couple of goblins to a couple of sieges/ambushes if you uses them right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #4031
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,136 Posts
    just hit a giant cavern with adamantine jutting out of the walls

TIME TO SAVE

will post results later

Edited:

all i can say is that i am glad i saved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #4032
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,622 Posts
    Just got a nation called, "Kingdom of the Sun."

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #4033
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,914 Posts
    What self respecting Dwarves would respect the sun?

The sun is something for elves and humans. True dwarves puke everywhere just looking at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #4034
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,622 Posts
    What self respecting Dwarves would respect the sun?

The sun is something for elves and humans. True dwarves puke everywhere just looking at it.
    I've, err, been playing as humans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #4035
    April 2009
    1,644 Posts
    Its been over a year and neither humans, elves, or my dwarven homeland has come to trade. I'm quite worried, especially since I was fast approaching the requirements to become the Mountainhome Capital.

Edited:

Also: because everyone who plays DF should see this classic:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #4036
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,533 Posts
    Zombies just killed 'the Air Man' (man who could manipulate the wind apparently) by ripping his head of, holy shit, I don't want to go outside.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #4037
    asdfghjkl;
    October 2008
    3,136 Posts
    I've, err, been playing as humans.
    FILTH

better than elves though, at least humans trade useful things

38. Post #4038
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    502 Posts
    Zombies just killed 'the Air Man' (man who could manipulate the wind apparently) by ripping his head of, holy shit, I don't want to go outside.
    If you are using the masterwork mod like I suspect you are I suggest disabling zombies unless you have countless weapons traps or countless suicidal dwarfs because only chopping off the head will kill it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

39. Post #4039
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,419 Posts
    By "manipulate wind" it really means "puffs out flames and sets everything on fire".

40. Post #4040
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,826 Posts
    my current area is called The Land of Justice. I'd be incredibly amused if I were invaded by bat men once I reach the caverns.

The world is also called "The Eternal Dawn-Domain"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)