1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    So this is now the third fortress in a row I have made where the elves start out hostile to me, spring of the second year fucking 30 elf swordsman show up and butcher everyone, brb savescumming because this is bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    So this is now the third fortress in a row I have made where the elves start out hostile to me, spring of the second year fucking 30 elf swordsman show up and butcher everyone, brb savescumming because this is bullshit.
    They just have wooden sticks... can't you just embark with one guy already trained and armored to take them on with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,571 Posts
    I wish I was as lucky to have such a large amount of FUN.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    They just have wooden sticks... can't you just embark with one guy already trained and armored to take them on with?
    It's more difficult than you think.

Also arrows hurt. and there's like 30 something elves.

Also unrelated, my dorfs wont pick up wood anymore, i cut it down, I have plenty of space in my wood stockpile, all of them have the wood hauling labor enabled but they just leave the wood lying around.

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,175 Posts

Also unrelated, my dorfs wont pick up wood anymore, i cut it down, I have plenty of space in my wood stockpile, all of them have the wood hauling labor enabled but they just leave the wood lying around.
    Make sure it's not forbidden or something.

6. Post #486
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts

Do you have a save of one of the worlds where you're at war with the elves that I could have? I keep generating worlds where everyone is at peace, and the goblins don't even send snatchers...

7. Post #487
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,093 Posts
    Devlog

Added contact and cleaning effects to the interaction framework and linked them back to red panda grooming, narwhal tusking, and kitty cat head-bumps, with the ability to do touch-range curses/powers as well. I'm also going through and setting up preliminary raw files for the other 112 (or whatever it is) sponsorship critters so that I don't get too far behind, but at the moment I'm still preparing abilities/new tags for the batch of eight from last weekend.
    Edited:

Kitty head-bumps causing necrosis or explosions - who's gonna mod that in first?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    Oh you missed the cool town pictures from the last devlog.

e: this is why we need media tags :I
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #489
    May 2011
    23 Posts
    The fortress is up and running we have living quarters carved out and they have beds now, that seemed to make everybody happier, the farms are finally starting to work properly. we will expect the first caravan very shortly.

Edited:

the first immigrants have arrived just before autumn

Edited:

a group of 12 ish badgers are coming towards the fortress... should i be worried?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #490
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,093 Posts
    Oh you missed the cool town pictures from the last devlog.

e: this is why we need media tags :I
    Yeah.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #491
    July 2009
    2,579 Posts
    Oh my god.
    Trinket (ring, scepters, amulets, crowns, etc) stockpiles. In my adventure games, those things are my greatest temptation. I always give in to stealing and hoarding them and tricking myself out in bling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,126 Posts
    I'm trying to start playing this game but I am having a hard time figuring out the controls. How do I play this game :C ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,086 Posts
    Singlehandedly caused the world to pass into the Age of Heroes :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,434 Posts
    I'm trying to start playing this game but I am having a hard time figuring out the controls. How do I play this game :C ?
    Well, you should try looking up some tutorials on how to play. DF isn't a game you can just pick up get how to play, a lot of the controls are counter-intuitive. It took me awhile to get the hang of it enough to make a good fort, and I'm still learning stuff every time I play. If you stick with it, in my experience it is one of the most rewarding games I have ever played.

Also, I suggest you use a tileset as it makes it a lot easier to learn to play and to recognize objects. Here is the one I use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #495
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,093 Posts
    Devlog

Squid ink addition turned into material-flows-as-interaction rewrite, which is longer but allows the breath cloud/glob/cone stuff to be added as interaction powers now, which will doubtless come in handy. It also makes material breath have body part requirements, which they were missing. Fire breath hasn't been integrated yet. I suppose webs should be as well, but we'll have to see what happens. Back to towns for now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,086 Posts
    Now shooting fire in adventure mode will be possible, that makes me happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,842 Posts
    I hope Toady makes amphibious races playable, I want to explore the deep and combat horrid abominations of the trenches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    So how come the only clothing I can make is caps? it's the only option available at the clothiers shop and in the manager.

19. Post #499
    July 2009
    2,579 Posts
    I hope Toady makes amphibious races playable, I want to explore the deep and combat horrid abominations of the trenches.
    He'd probably have to fix oceans freezing spontaneously and killing any wildlife in it first.
    But yeah, it'd be pretty cool if he made races with unique traveling abilities playable, as it can open up some new areas, and make certain things easier. An example would be a flying race, such as cave swallow men.

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,937 Posts
    So, does the latest version still contain broken military? I mean, dwarves decked out in iron getting slaughtered by a goblin in bronze?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

21. Post #501
    June 2011
    1,470 Posts
    So, does the latest version still contain broken military? I mean, dwarves decked out in iron getting slaughtered by a goblin in bronze?
    That was fixed a long time ago, besides bronze is supposed to be better then iron.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #502
    April 2010
    2,360 Posts
    Been a while since i played this game, i always give up because some sort of bug ruins the whole experience for me after a while :smith:

Though, had some good laughs with it. There was one time where i started, and all of my little unarmed dwarves got swarmed by, apparently fairly large, flying insects. To sum up, they all got brutally murdered after about 5 minutes

I've lost count of the number of times ive accidentally flooded my base with lava trying to build a lava moat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #503
    September 2009
    997 Posts
    Devlog
    so my octo-liths will finally work properly in this update?

sweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #504
    August 2010
    2,074 Posts
    Can`t wait for the next update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,434 Posts
    vanilla would be best so that everyone can use whatever tile set they want.

Edited:

alright lets get this party started,
    a turn is one in-game year
    you have 3 real days to end your turn
    you may end your turn early
    if the person before you ends their turn early you get three real days plus their turn, and one in-game year plus their turn

turn order is
    1.SteelReal
    2.Xain777
    3.eatdembeanz
    4.Adbor
    5.mars7a
    6.APinAP
    7. canuhearme?
    8. twistshock
    9.Mr.N
    Edited:

please sign up with your requested turn

reposting because im page king and it will help if its first on a page

What happened to the succession game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Can`t wait for the next update.
    I'm planning on donating after this new update comes out.

27. Post #507
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,093 Posts
    That was fixed a long time ago, besides bronze is supposed to be better then iron.
    That was also changed a long time ago. Toady went in favour of the coconut effect instead of keeping bronze better as in real life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

28. Post #508
    March 2009
    496 Posts
    What happened to the succession game?
    Adbor didn't finish and hasn't given his save out either, someone should really PM him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    God fucking dammit, at this point I'm thinking of ONLY puttting male dwarves in the military, because the women wont stop popping out fucking kids, then I can't put them in the danger room or the babys get impaled and they flip shit and kill everyone, and they carry them into battle too.

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,571 Posts
    God fucking dammit, at this point I'm thinking of ONLY puttting male dwarves in the military, because the women wont stop popping out fucking kids, then I can't put them in the danger room or the babys get impaled and they flip shit and kill everyone, and they carry them into battle too.
    I have male only military, not just for the baby reason. I just don't find female dwarves badass enough to be in the military.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,928 Posts
    Sorry for the big delay, I will finish my turn shortly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    That was also changed a long time ago. Toady went in favour of the coconut effect instead of keeping bronze better as in real life.
    I just thought you should know that you wasted about two hours of my life by posting that.

Fucking TVtropes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #513
    April 2008
    697 Posts
    Tried to make my first waterfall. I had some fun after not long:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,048 Posts
    Now shooting fire in adventure mode will be possible, that makes me happy.
    I wonder when will we get magic like in Slaves to armok 1.

Ability to teleport your own internal organs outside your body individually

Edit: Not to talk about your enemies and everyone elses internal organs or bones or clothes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #515
    why
    November 2007
    296 Posts
    Its always fun to throw someone at such a velocity that they explode on impact.

According to the wiki it says I can wear two caps and a helm, is that better than a helm and a mask?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #516
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,816 Posts
    I wonder if one day, Adventure mode and Fortress mode could be seamless. Being an adventurer and retiring by signing up for or starting a Caravan.

And the prospect of being a wizard hunter sounds awesome. Killing them and stealing their magicks would be a great adventure.

Gaining enough infamy to be known as extremely powerful/deadly and using that to force people into doing things would be amazing.

37. Post #517
    September 2009
    997 Posts
    Tried to make my first waterfall. I had some fun after not long:

Flood
    you did generate some mist, so it seems to have worked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #518
    June 2011
    1,470 Posts
    I wonder if one day, Adventure mode and Fortress mode could be seamless. Being an adventurer and retiring by signing up for or starting a Caravan.

And the prospect of being a wizard hunter sounds awesome. Killing them and stealing their magicks would be a great adventure.

Gaining enough infamy to be known as extremely powerful/deadly and using that to force people into doing things would be amazing.
    He intends on that happening, one of the arcs he discussed involved a fortress being plagued by bandits being led by a former (malicious) adventurer, or your adventurer becoming the king of a civilization (it sounded like he implied you could form your own) and eventually migrating to your fortress once the prerequisites are met.

Hell, he mentioned being able to lead armies off-site in Fortress Mode for raids, allowing you to zoom in and either control the squads like you would on-site, or handling a militia commander in the same way you'd handle an adventurer. Or your hero in Adventure mode, after being able to do every job available in Fortress mode, building a house out of self-mined iron and settling down with a family there.

39. Post #519
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,816 Posts
    Did anyone else read the new Threetoe story?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_journey.html

There's an analysis of the story at the bottom of the link, so I picked out some points to share:
    Threetoe stories are meant to give an idea of the gameplay direction and what the final game may be like, they are not detailed in stone
    *Other worlds/planes that are randomly generated at WorldGen

*Other worlds may have their own special properties (Underworld, Dreamscape, Shadow Realm and Parallel Dimensions were named)

*Magic will be drawn from other worlds, such as the power to manipulate dreams, as well as illusions and telekinesis in reality

*Any two planes may have no connection, communication only, or travel connections

*In the story, the main character traversed to the Dreamscape in order to access the Underworld, meaning you may have to traverse multiple worlds in order to reach another

*In the story, bogeymen came from the Realm of Shadows, using temporary bodies

*Traversing to some realms may require leaving your body behind, which means you might take on a new shape in the realm, like a ghost, spirit or temporary body

*There will be an afterlife, whether it be endless meadow or eternal torture.

*You may be able to reincarnate or rescue yourself as another adventurer in order to escape

*Underworld may contain historical figures or figures of people who recently died on the battlefield with you

*Your poor dwarf fortress may be reunited in the afterlife after some unfortunate accident

*In the story, goblins and trolls came from the Underworld, faeries came from Faerieland

*It might be possible to remain in the real realm as a ghost or spirit

*Abilities to detect other-worldy beings or entities

*Gods giving powers and abilities, with the requirement of a sacrifice, ritual, pact, etc.

*Learning/Researching magic, rather than having it innately or bestowed as a gift/curse

*Magical Organizations

*"Named spells" are exceptions, rather than rules

*Methods, costs, limitations, side effects should be considered by WorldGen, I.E. actions, items or body transformations

*Experimentation with spells

*If an NPC is using a spell, you may notice the visible/audible/etc. actions they take to use a spell and may be able to disrupt them, but the player won't know the effects of that action unless they've seen it

*Balancing actions may need to be taken when using a spell, or else ill effects may occur

*Spells may be used without fully understanding them or their side effects on the world and the user

*Apprentices-Master relationships, mages following powerful beings, battles for magical knowledge

*Magical items that allow magic knowledge

*Learning magic by seeing it performed

Best quote from the analysis
    "In terms of the game itself, planes are not only intended to be explanations for some of the magical effects, but also places that you can go in either mode."
    EITHER MODE?!?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,048 Posts
    I'm going to make a cthulhu sect in dwarf mode and then try to draw the biggest and baddest thing I can from the Dreamscape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)