1. Post #121
    July 2009
    2,579 Posts
    You thought wrong, steel is inherently stronger than iron for pretty much everything.
    Weird. I heard that somewhere. All those times I threw out steel swords in adventure mode...

In other news, how does one go about modding goblins and kobolds into a playable adventure mode race. It has to do something with [ADVENTURE_TIER:#] but I'm sort of confused on specifics.

Edited:

Is there a good 3D mapping application available? One which achieves underground-rendering, somehow?

Edited:

I wish I'd have a world without a goblin civilization. On a related note, what does a red "---------" behind a civilization in the embark menu mean?
    Pretty sure it means it's hostile from the start of your embark, unprovoked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Does running a pump with manual labor still make the dwarf running it stronger? I was thinking of making an exercise room for non-military loafers that may need to be drafted at some point, but that's pointless if it just keeps them busy when I could have them doing something actually useful, like using my new catapult training area.
    To answer my own question, there isn't a stat for that anymore, so it just makes them better at using pumps. Still keeps them busy, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    April 2011
    406 Posts
    Pretty sure it means it's hostile from the start of your embark, unprovoked.
    Oh well, at least they're not outright at war with me. God, I wish for a goblin-free world.

Reposting this, though:
    Is there a 3D map renderer that also renders underground parts, somehow? I would love to render my fortress...isometric with making the walls facing the viewer invisible should work. Does anyone know of such an application?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

4. Post #124
    November 2007
    271 Posts
    I really wanna get more into some dwarfort, but the learning curve is very discouraging.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,175 Posts
    What other features besides rating the story do you guys think I should add to DF Legends?

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,510 Posts
    I really wanna get more into some dwarfort, but the learning curve is very discouraging.
    If you do want to learn this amazing game (I guarentee you will enjoy it immensely once learnt) I highly suggest you watch this guy's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/51ppycup

Not only are the informative but funny at times. However I warn you it does get boring at times as well. The videos, overall, are very enjoyable and will teach you everything you need to know about Dwarf Fortress. Well except for useless industries.

Also make sure to get the LNP Pack or Lazy Newb Pack. You will need it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,737 Posts
    Oh well, at least they're not outright at war with me. God, I wish for a goblin-free world.

Reposting this, though:
    Is there a 3D map renderer that also renders underground parts, somehow? I would love to render my fortress...isometric with making the walls facing the viewer invisible should work. Does anyone know of such an application?
    Stonesense?
    Also I think gening a world with long history increases the chance of goblins getting killed off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    April 2011
    406 Posts
    Stonesense?
    Also I think gening a world with long history increases the chance of goblins getting killed off.
    Wow, Stonesense is pretty cool, seeing your world in 3D gives it an entirely new feeling. Thanks!

9. Post #129
    November 2007
    271 Posts
    If you do want to learn this amazing game (I guarentee you will enjoy it immensely once learnt) I highly suggest you watch this guy's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/51ppycup

Not only are the informative but funny at times. However I warn you it does get boring at times as well. The videos, overall, are very enjoyable and will teach you everything you need to know about Dwarf Fortress. Well except for useless industries.

Also make sure to get the LNP Pack or Lazy Newb Pack. You will need it.
    Last time I looked at tutorials, the most thorough ones were of some Brazilian dude whose videos were of terrible quality.
    This looks a lot better, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #130
    April 2011
    406 Posts
    Last time I looked at tutorials, the most thorough ones were of some Brazilian dude whose videos were of terrible quality.
    This looks a lot better, thanks.
    Although I think this is also in the OP, I decided to post it for you again:

I disliked watching videos to understand the game, having to switch between the video, pausing and switching to the game, so I used the Complete And Utter Newby Tutorial. It's written, and includes a play-along-save, so you can do exactly what they are talking about in the tutorial; if you don't like the video tutorials as well, give it a try!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    So I'm thinking about starting a woodsdwarf fort. I will embark somewhere with lots of forrest and lots of animals, and survive aboveground relying mainly on hunters and trappers. Thoughts?

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    Stonesense?
    I've found that removing the MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE tag for goblins (makes them have litters like dogs or cats) and make their CHILD tag set to 4 (they grow up 3 times faster then a human or Dwarf) makes them quite numerous and very much alive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,737 Posts
    I've found that removing the MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE tag for goblins (makes them have litters like dogs or cats) and make their CHILD tag set to 4 (they grow up 3 times faster then a human or Dwarf) makes them quite numerous and very much alive.
    So goblin sieges pretty much pop out out of nowhere regardless of statistics/population and whatnot?

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    So goblin sieges pretty much pop out out of nowhere regardless of statistics/population and whatnot?
    You'll always have increasingly large goblin sieges as long as a goblin civilization remains, no matter how small, I think they're randomly generated in a manner similar to your original 7 Dwarves.

That being said, I think the frequency and size of sieges are dependent on the goblin population, ditto on their growth/size during worldgen.

15. Post #135
    April 2011
    406 Posts
    So I'm thinking about starting a woodsdwarf fort. I will embark somewhere with lots of forrest and lots of animals, and survive aboveground relying mainly on hunters and trappers. Thoughts?
    Why that is challenging, I find the lack of stone to be a serious dampener of the fun I can have, because it just limits you too much. I started in a similar area, and because there was an Aquifer I had to wait for a caravan to bring some stone blocks to breach it via a cave-in...I had to rely mainly on wood the first 2 hours, and it's seriously more fun if you don't limit yourself. But sure, go ahead, try it!

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,672 Posts
    The thing I don't like about DF is how it all starts too slowly. The largest threat I've ever encountered (barring the HFS which I unlocked with the very first Adamantine block I mined) is a single Grimeling at the embark, which I near instantly killed with my woodcutter.

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    Why that is challenging, I find the lack of stone to be a serious dampener of the fun I can have, because it just limits you too much. I started in a similar area, and because there was an Aquifer I had to wait for a caravan to bring some stone blocks to breach it via a cave-in...I had to rely mainly on wood the first 2 hours, and it's seriously more fun if you don't limit yourself. But sure, go ahead, try it!
    I just find that digging into the ground always results in the same thing, me holing up and only briefly opening my gates for migrants/traders, and being entirley self reliant so i don't even need to make contact with the outside world. Then FPS death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    September 2009
    995 Posts
    I just find that digging into the ground always results in the same thing, me holing up and only briefly opening my gates for migrants/traders, and being entirley self reliant so i don't even need to make contact with the outside world. Then FPS death.
    and the same thing happened with my last aboveground fortress, just with more buzzard attacks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,497 Posts
    A while ago I didn't find this game particularly interesting but I heard good (and bad) things about it, I've read some of the previous DF threads and watched a few video tutorials and while it's looking more and more appealing the big learning curve is rather off-putting.

This is probably the wrong place to ask but is DF REALLY worth learning the controls and mechanics, especially if that someone is just a little impatient?

I'd love to give a go but it just looks so... complicated.

Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #140
    April 2011
    406 Posts
    It's not hard to get behind it. Start reading/watching a video about the basics, determine if you think it could be fun, and if so, continue.

As soon as you have a general understanding of how DF tries to approach getting tasks done, and as soon as you found out if you can have fun in a game like that, it's easy getting to learn more. You also don't have to know everything from the beginning, god forbid.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,737 Posts
    A while ago I didn't find this game particularly interesting but I heard good (and bad) things about it, I've read some of the previous DF threads and watched a few video tutorials and while it's looking more and more appealing the big learning curve is rather off-putting.

This is probably the wrong place to ask but is DF REALLY worth learning the controls and mechanics, especially if that someone is just a little impatient?

I'd love to give a go but it just looks so... complicated.

Thanks in advance.
    It took me a year of on and off getting interested with it, but once you nail the controls down it's addicting. The thing I had trouble with was mostly the controls, so look at the wiki and sooner or later you'll memorize them.

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    This is my favourite type of fort. Try building a wooden wall and a moat around your village for cool points.

e: Also make sure to embark someplace without an aquifer, stone is still useful for some stuff. Personally I build all the floors in buildings out of stone. Oh and build some underground dormitories and eating halls and stuff while you're getting your buildings together because they take stupid amounts of time to create.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,737 Posts
    Woodforts seem really hard to manage, with the constant flow of dirty immigrants coming to your fort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,693 Posts
    Devlog btw
    I finally got myself transformed into a weregoat, pumped up with enough axe skill that I could bifurcate my attacker after the switch. Then I walked into the keep, and the lord kind of freaked out and tried to stab me with a boning knife, but I managed to bite him and verify that the curse passes on a second time (he won't transform until the next full moon since it takes two weeks for the curse to kick in). I've also put in material force adjustments, so that a creature can be made weak to certain materials and strong against others. Quest givers currently give you this information, and the strength of werebeasts against their non-weak materials isn't so crazy as to make it impossible to beat them if you get ambushed. That can be changed when we have more going on, and the weaknesses can be made more interesting later.
    Adventurer transformations, yikes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,737 Posts
    Oh god I'm going to kill an entire ambush, strangle the last guy into unconciousness, bite him, and then leave him to his fate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    July 2009
    2,579 Posts
    Toady One A werelizard came and savaged my dwarves, before being hacked up after it turned back into an elf and failed to flee. Two of my little guys died, but a third victim survived, pale from blood loss, but without any life-threatening injuries. Then it was time to watch the little moon indicator at the top right of the screen. White )... gray )... dark gray )... blank space... dark gray (... gray (... white (... O! My fisherdwarf was interrupted by... werelizard jeweler!?
    I stay up at night waiting for a devlog. Every day. Only then when it appears I can finally rest.

I don't have a problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,497 Posts
    One problem I'm encountering is that I have a hard time spotting everything in the game world, are there any reccomended texture packs that make things a bit easier to see?

I've looked around a bit and this one looks pretty good: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

But if there are any better ones then that would be super helpful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,927 Posts
    One problem I'm encountering is that I have a hard time spotting everything in the game world, are there any reccomended texture packs that make things a bit easier to see?

I've looked around a bit and this one looks pretty good: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

But if there are any better ones then that would be super helpful.
    Ironhand's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,737 Posts
    Ironhand's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,452 Posts
    Can I be a Wereroc?
    CAW!

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,395 Posts
    What other features besides rating the story do you guys think I should add to DF Legends?
    More stories. And maybe make the rating system something more like "Good" / "Bad" because choosing from 11 options is hard and bothersome. Or make something like "This story was funny / insightful / touching / epic"

Edited:

Can I be a Wereroc?
    CAW!
    I want to be a werecarp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    I'm gonna be a wereweregoat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

33. Post #153
    August 2010
    2,072 Posts
    Weredragon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    Werewerewolf.

35. Post #155
    OBVIOUS LOLICON
    August 2007
    1,349 Posts
    Werecrundle
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events

36. Post #156
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,693 Posts
    Listening to the new DF talk atm. Toady says that there are "significantly more new night creatures than the devlogs have given away"

Edited:

http://www.bay12games.com/media/Dwar...ss_Talk_14.mp3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,079 Posts
    Werebronzecolossus

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,737 Posts
    Toady stutters a lot.

39. Post #159
    Rude member.
    August 2010
    4,783 Posts
    Werecarp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

40. Post #160
    April 2011
    406 Posts
    Combobreaking the were-____ stuff now; instead, asking for advice:

I found a magma pipe pretty close to the surface. My fortress is under an aquifer, and I now wanna make the outside pretty much inaccessible to goblin snatchers etc.
    Any suggestions for lava ditches and the like?