1. Post #3401
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    How do you guys handle all of the rock everywhere at the start of the game? Should I just ignore it?
    I usually designate a small storeroom for crafting purposes, which gets filled up in an instant. Then for the rest I just designate it for dumping and toss it all in a heap somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #3402
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,349 Posts
    Can marksdwarfs fire down z-levels?
    I'm thinking of making some 3 level high archery towers which can only be accessed from my fortress so I could hopefully thin out any sieges without taking too much casualties.

Especially because I lack the metal for melee armies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3403
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,435 Posts
    d b h
    Or w/e the combination to hide shit was
    Incredibly useful
    You should dump it too, stones will prevent dwarves from putting things in stockpiles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #3404
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,962 Posts
    Can marksdwarfs fire down z-levels?
    I'm thinking of making some 3 level high archery towers which can only be accessed from my fortress so I could hopefully thin out any sieges without taking too much casualties.

Especially because I lack the metal for melee armies.
    Yes but isn't there a height limit or something? One thing I know for sure is that for each Z level up that the dwarf fires from, you get an extra square of "dead zone" next to the tower that they can't shoot at. So a 3 level high tower won't be able to fire at anything 3 squares or closer to it.

It's better to just make them 2 levels high.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3405
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,085 Posts
    Yes but isn't there a height limit or something? One thing I know for sure is that for each Z level up that the dwarf fires from, you get an extra square of "dead zone" next to the tower that they can't shoot at. So a 3 level high tower won't be able to fire at anything 3 squares or closer to it.

It's better to just make them 2 levels high.
    Loads of weapon traps in those deadzones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

6. Post #3406
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,010 Posts
    You should dump it too, stones will prevent dwarves from putting things in stockpiles.
    I dump them from stockpiles, yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

7. Post #3407
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,349 Posts
    Oh god what just happened.

Somehow a kobold with full plate armour bypassed all my nifty traps and broke into my fortress!
    When I noticed him he had already slaughtered 5 dwarfs, when I got my military there he was already dead however.

With this being such a mystery I look into the combat reports, it appears my peasant tore him apart by hand.

What.

I needed to draw this it is too awesome: Behold my shitty drawing of what I think it would have looked like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 17Funny Funny x 3 (list)

8. Post #3408
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,962 Posts
    Kobolds in full plate..? Are you using a mod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

9. Post #3409
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,759 Posts
    Maybe some lucky ass kobold stole plate from someone, yknow, before their species all starved to death.

10. Post #3410
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,349 Posts
    No, but now you ask I think making a weapons/armour storage near the entrance was a big mistake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

11. Post #3411
    June 2010
    6,228 Posts
    Aren't cutebolds so small that Dwarf / Goblin sized armour would appear as Large?

12. Post #3412
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,759 Posts
    I love how half of DF's glitches aren't even glitches, they are accidental features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #3413
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Jack Trades posted:
    Speaking of which, how to I make humans the playable race in Fortress Mode instead of Dorfs? I remember that it was just a simple taws change but I don't remember how.
    You just need to add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag to the human civ raws, then select a human civ on embark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #3414
    June 2011
    1,470 Posts
    You just need to add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag to the human civ raws, then selects a human civ on embark.
    Also change Dwarves to [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] or else weird stuff happens.

There's also a workaround to get nobles working, even things like steel, coal (normal humans can't use lignite or bituminous coal) and Adamantine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #3415

April 2011
    40 Posts
    Any tips on how to remove all the stone from all over my fortress?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

16. Post #3416
    June 2005
    89 Posts
    Any tips on how to remove all the stone from all over my fortress?
    You could just mark it all as hidden ([d][b][h] and select a region), which would look the same and take much less effort. If you really want to get rid of it all, build a garbage dump (from the zones ([i]) menu) and mark all the stone to be dumped ([d][b][d]). Build the dump under a drawbrige if you want to destroy the stone (to improve your fps), or build it next to your mason's workshops and reclaim the stone ([d][b][c]) to make things out of rock more quickly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

17. Post #3417
    April 2009
    1,644 Posts
    does anyone know what these mean on the side of my screen?

Edited:

OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK.

The master of the goblin civilization, an    amethyst demon    has arrived! They're killable, right?

shitshitshitshitshit

Edited:

AWWW YISSS.

12 casualties for the dorfs, infinatly many for the goblins. Unfortunately, their leader escaped after taking a 13 dwarf beating the lasted for 4 in game days, but hes no longer leader of that civ.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

18. Post #3418
    June 2005
    89 Posts
    does anyone know what these mean on the side of my screen?
    That means that there are combat, hunting, and sparring reports. Press [r] to see them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #3419
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,826 Posts

Hydraulic engineering at its finest.

I'm not especially good at figuring out the right order to do things.

Edited:

or, anything, for that matter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #3420
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts

Hydraulic engineering at its finest.

I'm not especially good at figuring out the right order to do things.

Edited:

or, anything, for that matter.
    Maybe you should start designing a failsafe mechanism into your plans. A pressure plate set to trigger from water linked to a floodgate in a strategic place can automatically stop the flooding before you notice it happening.

21. Post #3421
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,155 Posts
    Just founded a new fort. I like to dedicate each fort to a mission determined by it's name... And this one's called Odlibash - "limbaxe."

My mission is clear. I must train an army of axemen, and surgically remove the limbs of every living creature on the map using said axemen.

Edited:

my starting axeman got killed by a rutherer

what the fuck are rutherers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

22. Post #3422
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    Can anyone tell me how stairs work? I can't figure them out.

23. Post #3423
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,155 Posts
    Can anyone tell me how stairs work? I can't figure them out.
    [<] and [>] move the screen one level up or down - these layers are called z-levels.

[d] then [j] digs a downward staircase. This is just a hole in the ground. You can dig them out on the surface.

[d] then [u] digs an upward staircase. This is a set of stairs going up. It must connect to a downward staircase one z-level above.

[d] then [i] builds an up/down staircase. These function as both of the above to make multi-story stairways.

Once you select which kind of stair you want to designate, hit 'enter,' define the square you want dug out, then hit 'enter' again. You only need a single tile for stairs.

Note that you can't dig up or up/down stairways on the surface, as they must be carved out of rock or dirt.

----
    If you're trying to build an above-ground tower, you need to do this instead -

[b] to go to the 'build' menu, then [C] (caps matter) to go to 'constructions.'

From there, you can select [u], [d], or [x] to build the different stairways - this time, though, your dwarves are being ordered to build the stairs, so you'll be given a choice of what you want them to be built out of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

24. Post #3424
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    Well, I do that, but when the up/down staircase is finished, my dwarfs ignore it. And there is open space below it, as well.

25. Post #3425
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,155 Posts
    Well, I do that, but when the up/down staircase is finished, my dwarfs ingnore it.
    If you've got a down staircase one level above an up staircase, it should be in order. Double check that you used the right ones, and that you're going down, not up (which is confusing at first.) It might just be that your dwarves don't have anything to do downstairs. Also, make sure the game is unpaused and your miners have dug it out - if you didn't embark with any miners, you'll need to enable the labor for some of them. If you embarked without picks, you're fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

26. Post #3426
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    Maybe you should start designing a failsafe mechanism into your plans. A pressure plate set to trigger from water linked to a floodgate in a strategic place can automatically stop the flooding before you notice it happening.
    Woah I'm now picturing a bulkhead sort of system to prevent unnecessary death during a 'flush' lever system, or even just when you're likely to suddenly flood for whatever reason. Each room/major corridor has a floor grate in the middle somewhere leading to a pit containing a pressure plate. When the plate is pressed (By floodwater pouring through the grate from the room above), floodgates close in the room above, sealing it and preventing both the flow of water, and anybody inside from certain death.
    Actually I don't know when this would be useful. Only once have I made a terrible mistake and had water cascade down the main staircase of my fort and flood the lower levels, trapping people inside. But now I want to try it out somehow.

Not much use in preventing death when against magma though, since it would rely on the room being ankle deep in fire before the bulkheads close.

In fact this is totally pointless since doors stop water, don't they?

27. Post #3427
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts
    Locked doors stop magma too

Just make tiny gatekeeper rooms next to your flood doors so they can lock it immediately if you notice any flooding
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

28. Post #3428
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,612 Posts
    Doors,
    doors everywhere.
    Forbid them to stop dwarves from opening them = suddenly your fort isn't completely flooded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

29. Post #3429
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,043 Posts
    So there's no point in making flood gates, since forbidden doors have the same effect?

In my last attempt, I ran out of food before I finished irritating my farm plot, because it was taking so long.

30. Post #3430
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,114 Posts
    So there's no point in making flood gates, since forbidden doors have the same effect?
    I don't think doors can close while water flows through them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #3431
    May 2009
    520 Posts
    What the hell. I think I found a naturally occuring adamantine short sword, it's setup as a spike about 110 z levels down.

It just showed up when I tried to link a lever to my own spike traps.

I've never even found adamantine before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

32. Post #3432
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,955 Posts
    What the hell. I think I found a naturally occuring adamantine short sword, it's setup as a spike about 110 z levels down.

Dig down to it and pull it out.

Edited:

Trust me I'm an expert
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #3433
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,040 Posts

I've never even found adamantine before.
    You might be about to breach the circus tent? I don't really know other places where adamantine weapons occur at random.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #3434
    May 2009
    520 Posts
    You might be about to breach the circus tent? I don't really know other places where adamantine weapons occur at random.
    Circus tent ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #3435
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Circus tent ?
    When you enter it. Fun begins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #3436
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts
    Circus tent ?
    I recommend sealing that whole area off

Like now

Unless you want shit like    centaurs and skeletons and zombies    coming up into your fort

Of course, that SHOULD wait until AFTER you get into the circus tent, who doesn't like a good juggling act?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

37. Post #3437
    March 2009
    496 Posts
    You guys are overreacting, it's just an underground fortress full of zombies. Thing is, zombies are pretty weak so you should be able to kill them and disassemble the sword to grab it pretty easily.
    You should do it, it'll make a nice weapon for your best militarydwarf.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #3438
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    I wish there was a working way to set a popcap. I'd like to play with my 7 starting dwarves and that's it.

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't mind starting with 1 dorf.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #3439
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,962 Posts
    Pressurized water floods the entire fort in a fraction of a second. Flash floods are too fast for the floodgate to react to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3440
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Why haven't I though about modding that before?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)