1. Post #401
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,857 Posts
    Odd, how much of a difference in light is there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #402
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,464 Posts
    The pop up flash flashing is what triggers the speedlite.

Your settings, the ambient light, and the power of the speedlite, will affect how much the pop-up can get it's light in to the exposure.

Basically, control the pop up flash to be as minimal as possible, and simultaneously try to keep your speedlite on higher power settings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #403
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    I have a question for all the Canon owners with a flash. I have a 7D with the 430EX II speedlite and everytime I want to wirelessly trigger it using the pop-up flash from my 7D, they both go off during the exposure instead of only the speedlite. I have it set so only the speedlite will be used during the exposure but my pop-up flash is still visible.
    Weird thing is, this only happens sometimes.
    Set the flash exposure of the pop up flash to -2, flag it so it only points at the flash gun. The best thing to do of course would be to pick up some radio triggers. (Yongnuo RF-603 or RF-602 are cheap and good)

If you decide to get some radio triggers order from the Yongnuo ebay store so you get a warranty: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hkyongnuophotoequipment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #404
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Yeah you guys are right. I will probably just pick up a radio trigger. Wanted one anyway so.
    Thanks for the advice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

5. Post #405
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts

Just ordered one of these, guess I'll be using some 120 now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #406
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    how much?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #407
    July 2008
    350 Posts
    So I'm down to a Nikon D3000 or a Canon EOS 1000D, anyone have any opinions on either of these cameras?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac New Zealand Show Events

8. Post #408
    October 2009
    321 Posts
    So I'm down to a Nikon D3000 or a Canon EOS 1000D, anyone have any opinions on either of these cameras?
    Here's a comparison of the two camera's.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...vs-Nikon_D3000

The cameras are very similar, but I can't say which would be better, it's basically your preference.

And according to Ken Rockwell's review on the D3000, it is one of the worst DSLRs Nikon has produced. If you go with Nikon, I'd recommend not getting the D3000, but instead the D40, as on his review he says the D40 is a better camera overall, and is cheaper. Plus, from my experience with the D40, if you are a beginner, as I was when I first started using it, it is excellent for starting with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #409
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,690 Posts
    Here's a comparison of the two camera's.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...vs-Nikon_D3000

The cameras are very similar, but I can't say which would be better, it's basically your preference.

And according to Ken Rockwell's review on the D3000, it is one of the worst DSLRs Nikon has produced. If you go with Nikon, I'd recommend not getting the D3000, but instead the D40, as on his review he says the D40 is a better camera overall, and is cheaper. Plus, from my experience with the D40, if you are a beginner, as I was when I first started using it, it is excellent for starting with.
    You have to consider the times they were made.

The D3000 is going to be better than D40, since the D40 is from 2006.

10. Post #410
    October 2009
    321 Posts
    You have to consider the times they were made.

The D3000 is going to be better than D40, since the D40 is from 2006.
    Yeah, but I was going by what Rockwell's review said, and his reviews are always extremely accurate with the pros/cons of the products.

11. Post #411
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,690 Posts
    Yeah, but I was going by what Rockwell's review said, and his reviews are always extremely accurate with the pros/cons of the products.
    Yes, he also includes the dates when the cameras were released.

12. Post #412
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts

13. Post #413
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    sweet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #414
    July 2008
    350 Posts
    Well I ended up getting the 1000D. Thanks for that spec sheet comparison, I was leaning toward the Canon already but that helped me make sure I wanted it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac New Zealand Show Events

15. Post #415
    October 2009
    956 Posts

I am looking for a camera that can take better quality pictures then this, I want a camera that can take pictures that look more clear, like this one

Any suggestions, I don't want to spend more money then I have too and I just want something that can take pictures that don't look terrible.

Edited:

Same Camera

Not so sure its the camera anymore, possibly just an unsteady hand.

16. Post #416
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,837 Posts
    I seriously want your room.

What's your budget?

17. Post #417
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,690 Posts

I am looking for a camera that can take better quality pictures then this, I want a camera that can take pictures that look more clear, like this one

Any suggestions, I don't want to spend more money then I have too and I just want something that can take pictures that don't look terrible.

Edited:

Same Camera

Not so sure its the camera anymore, possibly just an unsteady hand.

Your camera can still do that fine, learn how to use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #418
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,837 Posts
    Your camera can still do that fine, learn how to use it.
    Oh shit he has a 450D.

Dude. It's a great camera, take Roll's advice and read the manual.

And read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/photoclass/c...ts_not_rocket/

19. Post #419
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    Oh shit he has a 450D.

Dude. It's a great camera, take Roll's advice and read the manual.

And read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/photoclass/c...ts_not_rocket/
    No it's a Nikon Coolpix S200, check the EXIF info.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

20. Post #420
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,837 Posts
    No it's a Nikon Coolpix S200, check the EXIF info.
    That's weird. The second picture says it's a 450D for me. Oh well, nevermind. The camera you have is fine, just learn to use it.

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,545 Posts
    He said the second picture was what he wanted it to look like, not one he took. The shot is of a different room too vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #422
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    rockwell threw a shitfit about the 3000 based on how it adds up compared to how good the other cameras were for their time. The way he wrote the review he made it seem like it was the biggest piece of trash compared to everything made ever, not by the standards of the current lineup.

It's still a good camera given what it is, it's just that it's technically the worst nikon currently has to offer, which makes sense given it's at the bottom of the consumer line. The 3100 is pretty fancy for its price though, I'd suggest looking into it since it's still in that price range
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,048 Posts
    I have been looking into a new camera for a while now, I have my eyes on the Canon Rebel T2i. I am looking for a camera that can shoot HD, crisp video with very little to no noise in sub-optimal lighting conditions. What do you guys think? what camera would you recommend?
    Well, I just bought myself a t3i so that's an option
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

24. Post #424
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Well, I just bought myself a t3i so that's an option
    extra 100 for a flippy screen? erm no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,545 Posts
    If you're really into video I'd probably do it. Considering the investment you're making in the first place it seems like a solid choice. Also from skimming some Google research the difference looks more like $80USD, or ~50.

Like finally saving up enough to get a luxury sports car but getting it with all the cheapest features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

26. Post #426
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,048 Posts
    If you're into video, yes. I've been using a cheap-ass kodak zi8 and filming myself without seeing what I'm doing has gotten me some horrible shots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

27. Post #427
    Man it's so great for short people like me who need that extra inch to see if you're in focus or not when shooting blindly

Edited:

And also it's the best Video Hybrid, and I'm more into video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

28. Post #428
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,564 Posts
    Need/want a 50mm 1.8 EF for my thing on Monday - but I don't want to give Jessops 95 for it - any idea where I can get one thats cheaper?

29. Post #429
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    Need/want a 50mm 1.8 EF for my thing on Monday - but I don't want to give Jessops 95 for it - any idea where I can get one thats cheaper?
    You're probably not going to find one retail for less than that. The cheapest place online is 77.80 from Amazon, so if you need it desperately I would just buy it from Jessops.

30. Post #430
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    going to a camera market tomorrow!

probably going to either pick up one of these:

or maybe one of these

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

31. Post #431
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    I go on holiday tuesday, otherwise i'd let you use mine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts
    What's the difference between

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_Shoe.html

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lash_Cord.html

The Pearstone one is longer, cheaper, and seems to have all the same features. There seem to be more complaints about the Canon one than the Pearstone one too. I'll be purchasing my first flash, a 430EX II with it. Any alternative recommendations?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

33. Post #433
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    What's the difference between

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_Shoe.html

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lash_Cord.html

The Pearstone one is longer, cheaper, and seems to have all the same features. There seem to be more complaints about the Canon one than the Pearstone one too. I'll be purchasing my first flash, a 430EX II with it. Any alternative recommendations?
    it's all brand name push on that price. Maybe the cord is a bit stronger or something, but I doubt that you'll ever find out the true limits of either cord. Pearstone sounds like a safe bet, even if it busts you could buy another one and it'd still be cheaper than just getting the canon cord once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #434
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    5,354 Posts
    I have been getting into taking pictures lately and need a new camera I got in 09, my birthday is next week (The one in my profile was my friends one, as a joke) and I decided for a camera. Under 500 - 400 hundred would be good.

Now I did look at Snap sort and looked at the WB200 Samsung, well I think its called that I forgot.
    And its an option.

So here is what I am looking for in a camera.
    Bigger screen.
    HD lens (Or something to make my photos look better)
    A way to take pictures at Night.
    More features.
    Water Proof Would be nice.
    Not to heavy.
    Not to big.
    And a rechargeable battery (Most cameras have them).
    USB cord.
    And 1080p videos.

That is what I have been looking for lately. If you cant find one, just tell me what the features are called and I can find one.
    And if you're wondering how my camera is damaged here is a list.

Scratches on the screen at the back.
    Got dropped and hit yesterday didn't work for a hour.
    And uh well I forgot the rest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

35. Post #435
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I have been getting into taking pictures lately and need a new camera I got in 09, my birthday is next week (The one in my profile was my friends one, as a joke) and I decided for a camera. Under 500 - 400 hundred would be good.

Now I did look at Snap sort and looked at the WB200 Samsung, well I think its called that I forgot.
    And its an option.

So here is what I am looking for in a camera.
    Bigger screen.
    HD lens (Or something to make my photos look better)
    A way to take pictures at Night.
    More features.
    Water Proof Would be nice.
    Not to heavy.
    Not to big.
    And a rechargeable battery (Most cameras have them).
    USB cord.
    And 1080p videos.

That is what I have been looking for lately. If you cant find one, just tell me what the features are called and I can find one.
    And if you're wondering how my camera is damaged here is a list.

Scratches on the screen at the back.
    Got dropped and hit yesterday didn't work for a hour.
    And uh well I forgot the rest.
    Get a DSLR if you want to do anything creative, if you are looking for 1080p video I suggest a Canon EOS 550d. Also if you want to do anything good, you need to understand how they work better, e.g. a 'HD lens' is a very poor use of terminology.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

36. Post #436
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    Get a canon s95. It'll be all you need for now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #437
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    Get a canon s95. It'll be all you need for now.
    thats actually a reasonable reply. he clearly doesn't want a dslr.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #438
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma - I'm quite into photography which I recently started having bought a Pentax ME Super, but I've always wanted to get into film making too, and I'm probably gonna get a camcorder (the Sony CX130E) in a couple of days for my birthday.

However, if I like photography a lot, which I think I might, I will probably invest in a DSLR sometime, and the video capabilities of even something low-end like the 550D are insane - the depth of field and different lenses makes it probably better than the kind of camcorder I'm looking to get.

Are there any downsides to DSLR video? I can probably get a 550D kit for about 450, and the camcorder I'm looking to buy is 260 so there is a lot of price difference, but I might be willing to pay that if it's a much better alternative.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

39. Post #439
    September 2008
    1,514 Posts
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma - I'm quite into photography which I recently started having bought a Pentax ME Super, but I've always wanted to get into film making too, and I'm probably gonna get a camcorder (the Sony CX130E) in a couple of days for my birthday.

However, if I like photography a lot, which I think I might, I will probably invest in a DSLR sometime, and the video capabilities of even something low-end like the 550D are insane - the depth of field and different lenses makes it probably better than the kind of camcorder I'm looking to get.

Are there any downsides to DSLR video? I can probably get a 550D kit for about 450, and the camcorder I'm looking to buy is 260 so there is a lot of price difference, but I might be willing to pay that if it's a much better alternative.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks
    The only downside to shooting video with a DSLR that I can think of (other than price) is that videos shot on a DSLR will get a rolling shutter effect if your shooting subjects that are moving at a very, very high speed, but I wouldn't worry about it much.

40. Post #440
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    The only downside to shooting video with a DSLR that I can think of (other than price) is that videos shot on a DSLR will get a rolling shutter effect if your shooting subjects that are moving at a very, very high speed, but I wouldn't worry about it much.
    Yeah I saw a video explaining that, but I basically wanna do like harry potter fight scenes with special effects and all and that sort of thing, is running at each other 'very high speed'?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)