1. Post #481
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,943 Posts
    I think I'm gonna write up a thread about all the different types of film, cameras, formats, etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts
    Would one of these be a good remote flash trigger? Does this come with both the transmitter and receiver?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yongnuo-R...item256575e8b1

I've got a 550D using a 430EX II.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    The Yongnuo RF-603 from the reviews I have read are pretty reliable. They work as transceivers so you don't need a specific transmitter and receiver, any two units will work together and you get two in the box. The camera specific listings are for the shutter release cable so you can use them as a remote control too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    How is the D3100 as a beginner's camera? I was planning to buy a camcorder for my birthday for 260, but if I can pay an extra 100 to get a good camera with similar if not better video capabilities, that's a good deal right? I've also seen the 500D for a similar price, but refurbished and with a lot less warranty, is that better than the D3100?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    July 2010
    1,641 Posts
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...rBy=addOneStar

Used, yes? I love photography and I want to get a camera that will get me started well in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #486
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,541 Posts
    Only if you're getting one hell of a deal on it. What used price are you looking at?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

7. Post #487
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    okay I've decided I'm gonna get the Nikon D3100 - should I get it from some ebay store with really high ratings or should I pay 25 more and get it from Amazon? This is the ebay store by the way:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D310...item1e64756fef
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #488
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    okay I've decided I'm gonna get the Nikon D3100 - should I get it from some ebay store with really high ratings or should I pay 25 more and get it from Amazon? This is the ebay store by the way:

If you are looking on using the camera for videos or ever want to use a DSLR for videos why the hell are you going Nikon? If you are going to use a DSLR for video the absolute minimum you want is a 550d. The D3100 is ok for basic stuff but pales in comparison to the canon video capabilities. Also the D5100, D7000 etc still have worse video capabilities than a 550d.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    If you are looking on using the camera for videos or ever want to use a DSLR for videos why the hell are you going Nikon? If you are going to use a DSLR for video the absolute minimum you want is a 550d. The D3100 is ok for basic stuff but pales in comparison to the canon video capabilities. Also the D5100, D7000 etc still have worse video capabilities than a 550d.
    The 550D is out of my budget, and I checked video tests on youtube and the D3100 looks great. It looks a bit better than the camcorder I was planning to get anyway - I don't need something amazing for video or photo, just starting out right now I know Canon is better for video but I'm on a budget and have to compromise
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #490
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    The 550D is out of my budget, and I checked video tests on youtube and the D3100 looks great. It looks a bit better than the camcorder I was planning to get anyway - I don't need something amazing for video or photo, just starting out right now I know Canon is better for video but I'm on a budget and have to compromise
    The quality is good, but you can barely control the video on the D3100. Save up and get a 550d, as when it comes to upgrading and you wan't something better for both filming/photography, you will likely luck out on the Nikon side. I am by no means saying that Nikon make bad cameras, it's just that for video Canon is the clear winner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    The quality is good, but you can barely control the video on the D3100. Save up and get a 550d, as when it comes to upgrading and you wan't something better for both filming/photography, you will likely luck out on the Nikon side. I am by no means saying that Nikon make bad cameras, it's just that for video Canon is the clear winner.
    I know Canon is better for video, but like I said, I'm on a budget and I don't wanna spend much more money on this hobby before I know I really like it. Plus, I read a lot of reviews and saw a lot of videos and everyone seems to say that the D3100s video is really good, particularly because of the new continuous autofocus in video mode which is pretty new for Nikon

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I know Canon is better for video, but like I said, I'm on a budget and I don't wanna spend much more money on this hobby before I know I really like it. Plus, I read a lot of reviews and saw a lot of videos and everyone seems to say that the D3100s video is really good, particularly because of the new continuous autofocus in video mode which is pretty new for Nikon
    Yeah but the continuous autofocus in videomode is a joke
    It constantly tries to refocus which gives you shoddy images
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    Yeah but the continuous autofocus in videomode is a joke
    It constantly tries to refocus which gives you shoddy images
    what do you mean shoddy images? like, out of focus or poor image quality or what?

thanks

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    what do you mean shoddy images? like, out of focus or poor image quality or what?

thanks
    It constantly moves in and out of focus, which looks really amateur. Learn to love manual focus for good looking video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #495
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    It constantly moves in and out of focus, which looks really amateur. Learn to love manual focus for good looking video.
    Ah right, thanks

16. Post #496
    October 2007
    1,168 Posts
    Save up and you won't regret it. Where do you live? The other one can't be much more expensive...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Mexico Show Events

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    It's funny how people tend to cross-talk about subjects in all of the threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    Save up and you won't regret it. Where do you live? The other one can't be much more expensive...
    It's not really a matter of saving up, I can afford the 550D at the moment, I'm just not sure I'm willing to spend so much money on photography/movie making until I know that I really really enjoy it. I'm getting the D3100 kit with 18-55mm AF lens for 375, and the equivalent 550D kit would be 100 more :(

19. Post #499
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    It's not really a matter of saving up, I can afford the 550D at the moment, I'm just not sure I'm willing to spend so much money on photography/movie making until I know that I really really enjoy it. I'm getting the D3100 kit with 18-55mm AF lens for 375, and the equivalent 550D kit would be 100 more :(
    D3100 is useless for video, literally the only control you have over it is the focus. If you really need to do that get a 1000d and lenses, then buy a 550d body when you can upgrade. It's a much better idea to just get a 550d though.

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,541 Posts
    Tbh Alcapwne, I own the D3100 and I love it. And a lot of people seem to be bagging on its video more than they should - the continuous autofocus isn't actually that bad (you realize you AREN'T supposed to hold down the shutter release, right?) and the quality is decent.

However, they do make a point. Canon has a very solid hold on the DSLR video market. You may not have continuous autofocus but the overall experience is, from what I hear, better. Going with Nikon for the sake of video isn't necessarily a bad decision, but it is risky. You're betting that when you want to upgrade to a higher level camera for better video capability that whatever Nikon cameras available at that time will have competitive video - as it stands, Canon still beats them out, and Nikon is only catching up very slowly.

You sound very well set on the D3100 - for that reason I suggest going to a camera store, Walmart, or any other place that sells cameras to see if you can try out the D3100 and the 550D. See which feels better in your hands, which control layout you like, what build feels better to you. Make your decision there. As a beginner, Nikon's video will likely still do what you need. If you choose to go Nikon, hopefully by the time you upgrade they will have caught up enough with video quality and control to be considered "competitive" with Canon. You are essentially choosing between the "safe" video system and one that may or may not catch up for a while. There's speculation that Nikon will be revealing new cameras in August - the video capabilities of these may provide insight into whether Nikon's video is catching up yet or not. Only time will really tell how long it will be before Nikon catches up to Canon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #501
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,564 Posts
    D3100 is useless for video, literally the only control you have over it is the focus. If you really need to do that get a 1000d and lenses, then buy a 550d body when you can upgrade. It's a much better idea to just get a 550d though.
    1000D can't do video - his main reason for buying it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #502
    October 2007
    1,168 Posts
    Oh I just remembered, you could buy a cheapo GH1/GF1, have better video quality than the Canon and still experiment with photo. Just sayin'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,826 Posts
    if you go to any of the walmarts here you find a 3100 body with no battery to see features, nor a lens, and smudges alllll over the mirror and focusing screen and greasy smudges on the shutter leaves behind it all and I don't even want to try opening the shutter to see what's behind it.

I hate grubby kids who have to touch EVERYGODDAMNTHING

24. Post #504
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    Any answers to my original question - should I buy my camera from this ebay store:

Or pay 25 more and get it from somewhere reliable like Jessops or Amazon?

25. Post #505
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,826 Posts
    lots of positive feedback on it, I think it's probably legit.

only thing that bugs me:

Condition:
    New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details
    It's new and unopened, with its original box!*
    *may not come in box
    *may come in a different box
    *may ship in a box that is not the original

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts

only thing that bugs me:

*may not come in box
    hmm yeah but I think that might just be ebay's standard description for new items

a friend of mine was telling me about warranty and 'manufacturer defects' -

DCtrade Warranty (DCW) Covers the following aspects:
    Manufacturer Defects (Known issues caused by particular product and various other ailments that can cause product to malfunction)
    Items arriving damaged on arrival (it is our responsibility to ensure items are packed well before shipment)
    Replacement of item if necessary
    He said something like, manufacturer defects is a sort of loophole that means that any problems have to be checked by Nikon themselves, who rarely accept that they're in fault or something so the warranty is pointless, something like that...

have you had any experience of this?

Thanks

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,541 Posts

only thing that bugs me:

Condition Quote

*may not come in box
    Yeah, that bugs me too. And especially if it doesn't come in the original box, it may not have the proper warranty. I'd go for the extra 25 just to be safe and ensure you're getting the warranty. I'm pretty sure Nikon doesn't even ship warranty cards or whatever with their cameras, the information is given to them from the retailer. Might be a little fudgy with an eBay seller.

Edited:

Nikon's customer support is a bit iffy at times, but I don't know of any instances where they've abused that loophole. I think it's more of an ass-covering thing than an exploitable thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #508
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,826 Posts
    haven't had issues with buying stuff online, except for when I was collecting various models and decided to buy the ones that were suspiciously cheaper

hand re-molded and recast in crap rubber, then hand-painted by a retarded child

if you buy it from that ebay store and it ends up being made of clay, don't say I didn't tell ya so

but seriously I don't think there's too much of an issue with the store, but the drop in price is kind of iffy. I'd rather put my money into a more local business than send it off to god-knows-where. I know it's kind of ironic me saying that as an american, but that's probably all the more reason for me to want to keep cash local, especially right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #509
    July 2010
    1,641 Posts
    Only if you're getting one hell of a deal on it. What used price are you looking at?
    $360.00.

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,541 Posts
    My personal advice would be to save up some more and get a newer camera (used if you like.) $360 for something as old as the XT doesn't seem like the best deal. I'm not experienced with Canon so I don't necessarily know the best options, but the XT just looks so old it might be disappointing.

I do know KEH.com is supposed to be a very reputable dealer. What about this combo?
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digi...991067180?r=FE
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digi...99121640N?r=FE

The XS body (1000D) is newer and better, and so is that lens. Only about $100 more total.

Can someone else here who knows Canon help itsDivine out a little more?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    February 2011
    193 Posts
    does anyone know a good 110 film camera?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

32. Post #512
    January 2011
    749 Posts
    does anyone know a good 110 film camera?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    June 2009
    480 Posts
    Does anyone have suggestions for a good camcorder or dslr with video capabilities for 500 to 1000 dollars? I'm looking something with a nice dof and good functionality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

34. Post #514
    September 2008
    1,508 Posts
    Does anyone have suggestions for a good camcorder or dslr with video capabilities for 500 to 1000 dollars? I'm looking something with a nice dof and good functionality.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_kit

Or if you don't need the flippy screen:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...18_55is_ii_kit

35. Post #515
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,860 Posts
    also consider the nex 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfG78xGfjU

it's between $600 and $650, which is definitely on the lower end of your price range. goes 1080i at 60fps, with AVCHD format. If you'd like me to post some examples with different lenses i would definitely do so.

36. Post #516
    April 2011
    244 Posts
    If you consider the NEX-5, also look at the NEX-C3, and think about if you want to buy the 5 so close to the 5N coming out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #517
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    And if you want to waste money on the NEX-5 for video, remember it only records interlaced 60i - which is not 60 frames per second, it's 60 fields. The 550D records 720p at 24, 25/30 and 50/60 (progressive, not interlaced) and 1080p at 24 and 25/30. The progressive video is more filmlike and the 550D gives a much greater degree of control over your video than the NEX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #518
    June 2009
    480 Posts
    I have actually been doing a lot of filming with my moms canon t3i I got her for her birthday. My problem with it is the constant manual zoom, while I do enjoy getting full manual control with a camera I feel like its a real hassle to film with the T3i. I'm all for suggestions on how to make filming with it a bit easier though.

And trogdon, I would love to see some example footage. Thank you in advance.

39. Post #519
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,860 Posts
    would you like moving footage or stationary? because i have some stationary footage currently, but if you'd like me to run around outside and such (demonstrating framerate and autofocusing) i'd be willing to.

40. Post #520
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    http://www.vimeo.com/25337857 the only thing i've shot 550D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events