1. Post #1641
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,502 Posts
    Well you want more zoom than your 55-200 so, assuming you don't want to spend too much, I'd go for a Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 f4.5-5.6
    Still not the best for sports because of the maximum apertures it has.
    What would you recommend if price wasn't an issue?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

2. Post #1642
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,222 Posts
    Have any of you used the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 or Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 ? I'm not too interested in what I've seen from third parties, too much sample variance reported and the Nikon lenses are the only ones I can extensively try before buying without major hassle. The Tokina, as highly regarded as it is, doesn't have a good range of zoom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #1643
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,147 Posts
    Oh man, I'd love a wide-angle so much.
    Never had anything wider than 18 and I think the candid stuff I could get with something wider would be a lot of fun.

4. Post #1644
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,198 Posts
    I'd recommend the Sigma 10-20mm, either the f/3.5 version or the f/4-5.6 version.

The build quality is excellent and the optics are excellent, especially for the price you're paying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #1645
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,222 Posts
    Oh man, I'd love a wide-angle so much.
    Never had anything wider than 18 and I think the candid stuff I could get with something wider would be a lot of fun.
    I've always found myself wanting to have more in the frame and that's at 17mm on a D7000.

I'd recommend the Sigma 10-20mm, either the f/3.5 version or the f/4-5.6 version.

The build quality is excellent and the optics are excellent, especially for the price you're paying.
    The constant aperture is nice, and its probably better built than the 10-24 but maybe not the 12-24. All of these lenses suffer from poor sharpness wide open at the widest which is to be expected, but my understanding is the Sigma is the worse of them all. Can't complain at the saving. I can get the 10-24 or 12-24 for 669, but I'm trading in a Speedlight against it which brings it down 150 and selling my Tamron 17-50 2.8 which will be another 150 or so.

6. Post #1646
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,198 Posts
    The Sigma 10-20mm is sharp wide open.

I have some extremely nice A3 prints from it, some shot fully open.

Sure there's sharper wide open, but it's already good enough as it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1647
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,222 Posts
    The Sigma 10-20mm is sharp wide open.

I have some extremely nice A3 prints from it, some shot fully open.

Sure there's sharper wide open, but it's already good enough as it is.
    Corner sharpness acceptable for what it is? I'm quite anxious of what sort of sample I could get, even though my 35 1.8 was very good I could have gotten a poor performing one. I guess I could buy a Sigma 10-20 and send it back to Amazon if the results weren't sufficient, but I think trying the Nikons for free at Grays is worth doing. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Post #1648
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,198 Posts
    Yeah, you can always send it back if you get a dud, but that's very unlikely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #1649
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    I've been looking at upgrading to a Pentax K-r from my old Pentax *ist DL. Looking on dpreview's interactive comparison, the camera seems to produce better images than the competition.

I enjoy some macro photos, but mostly enjoy landscape, especially urban-scape. I don't do much ultra-low light, but I'd like to be able to. I especially enjoy Black and white, but that's something I apply in Photoshop anyways.

Is this camera recommendable? Will it be a significant upgrade form my *ist? I'm an amateur, but I'd like to eventual earn money through photography. Will this camera keep up?

I've also been looking at some rebels, the Nikon 5100, and even the Fujifilm x100 (due to it's smaller size, so it's not so awkward taking urban-shots.)

UPDATE! I bought a K-r. Went to the photo shop today. I'm happy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1650
    July 2008
    1,277 Posts
    So i'm looking for a camcorder to support my t2i since it suffers from overheating in dusty places and when im switching between filming and taking pictures. I'm going to use it for Urban Exploring so it needs to have excelent low light capabilities and most of the main functions should be accessible with buttons since im wearing gloves I can't really use a touchscreen.

It would be nice if it has good manual controls when im only walking around but also full manual contols when i breakout my slider/tripod.

I was looking at the Canon HV40 but since it lacks buttons and most of the options have to be accessed true the menu I was more going for a used Sony Z1/Canon XL1/Panasonic DVX100B they are not that big and feature full manual controls and work great in low light they also record on DVTape which is great since it's one of the strongest storage devices.

So do you guys have any suggestions or what do you think about this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

11. Post #1651
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    So i'm looking for a camcorder to support my t2i since it suffers from overheating in dusty places and when im switching between filming and taking pictures. I'm going to use it for Urban Exploring so it needs to have excelent low light capabilities and most of the main functions should be accessible with buttons since im wearing gloves I can't really use a touchscreen.

It would be nice if it has good manual controls when im only walking around but also full manual contols when i breakout my slider/tripod.

I was looking at the Canon HV40 but since it lacks buttons and most of the options have to be accessed true the menu I was more going for a used Sony Z1/Canon XL1/Panasonic DVX100B they are not that big and feature full manual controls and work great in low light they also record on DVTape which is great since it's one of the strongest storage devices.

So do you guys have any suggestions or what do you think about this?
    your 550D has the best low light capibility, much better than the Z1, XLR and DVX100 without a doubt. They all have tiny sensor. You might be best getting a wide-aperture lens for your t2i like a 30mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.8 and boosting the ISO, or buying a shoe-mount LED lamp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1652
    July 2008
    1,277 Posts
    your 550D has the best low light capibility, much better than the Z1, XLR and DVX100 without a doubt. They all have tiny sensor. You might be best getting a wide-aperture lens for your t2i like a 30mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.8 and boosting the ISO, or buying a shoe-mount LED lamp
    But as i mentioned my T2i can't be turned on for longer than 15 minutes or record longer than a 12 minute session because of overheating so i'm looking for something non DSLR to back it up.

13. Post #1653
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,222 Posts
    Christ the night, I haven't a friggin clue what to look for in Tripods. I know Manfrotto and Gizmo are quality, but I can't spend more than 100 for a travel friendly but sturdy tripod + good head. Can Anyone suggest travel friendly ones or advice on shopping for tripods? I bought a Vista Voyager last year for home use, decent tripod but a brand I'll avoid.

14. Post #1654
    March 2011
    637 Posts
    Well I'm going to get a cheap Hama Traveller
    http://direct.asda.com/Hama-Tripod-T...efault,pd.html

15. Post #1655
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,222 Posts
    Do report back on it. Which camera + lens do you use? The cheapo one I had before was barely enough to hold a D3000 + 18-55VR. I'd rather spend a bit as I'm sure light but strong solutions exist.

16. Post #1656

February 2010
    2,457 Posts
    But as i mentioned my T2i can't be turned on for longer than 15 minutes or record longer than a 12 minute session because of overheating so i'm looking for something non DSLR to back it up.
    battery grip or external battery will solve overheating issues as the heat of the battery discharging is kept away from the body, you could try using magic lantern with its auto restart feature to record longer than 12 minutes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1657
    March 2011
    637 Posts
    Do report back on it. Which camera + lens do you use? The cheapo one I had before was barely enough to hold a D3000 + 18-55VR. I'd rather spend a bit as I'm sure light but strong solutions exist.
    Using a Zenit TTL w/ Helios 44-2 so its about a kilo in weight

18. Post #1658
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    well that's not right, i have used a 550D for over 40 minutes without issue.

Edited:

this was with a battery grip

Edited:

i used one
    it broke in half

19. Post #1659
    ~I want you inside me~
    May 2005
    17,309 Posts
    okay I forgot, can the canon L lenses be mounted on full sensor and cropped bodies?

so would a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro work with my Canon 7D?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

20. Post #1660
    August 2011
    631 Posts
    yes, EF works on both, EF-S is specifically for crop-sensored ones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1661
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    yes, EF works on both, EF-S is specifically for crop-sensored ones
    this man speaks the truth

22. Post #1662
    July 2008
    1,277 Posts
    well that's not right, i have used a 550D for over 40 minutes without issue.

Edited:

this was with a battery grip

Edited:

i used one
    it broke in half
    I have magic lantern and a Canon battery grip but I was looking for a camera that I could just keep running for the whole time, I found a Used Sony Z1 with 2 battery's each battery has 550 minutes of standby time so that should be plenty.

23. Post #1663
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    I have a question for you guys:

I've always wondered how my video camera could shoot in bright daylight with 1/50 shutter speed with no problems, while a DSLR would need an ND filter to achieve the same thing. Does this mean that camcorders and compact cameras have ND filters built in, somehow?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

24. Post #1664
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,831 Posts
    Try shooting at a smaller aperture or lower your iso. Are you shooting in full manual?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

25. Post #1665
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    small aperture

26. Post #1666
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    small aperture
    Is this a response to me, or?

27. Post #1667
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    yes

28. Post #1668
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    I have a question for you guys:

I've always wondered how my video camera could shoot in bright daylight with 1/50 shutter speed with no problems, while a DSLR would need an ND filter to achieve the same thing. Does this mean that camcorders and compact cameras have ND filters built in, somehow?
    Some cheap P&S and video cameras do have a build in ND filter rather than an aperture mechanism because it's cheaper.

29. Post #1669
    June 2010
    9,073 Posts
    Some cheap P&S and video cameras do have a build in ND filter rather than an aperture mechanism because it's cheaper.
    Yeh, I've noticed by looking at my P&S camera (and several cellphones), switching from bright light to dark and vice versa makes it flip a little filter in front of the sensor. Pretty interesting how that works.

30. Post #1670
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    battery grip or external battery will solve overheating issues as the heat of the battery discharging is kept away from the body, you could try using magic lantern with its auto restart feature to record longer than 12 minutes
    It's the sensor that overheats mainly, I would be very surprised if the batteries got anywhere near their max operating temperature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #1671
    September 2009
    486 Posts
    Would a canon 600d with a EF 50mm F1.8 II be a good start? As in, for a absolute newbie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

32. Post #1672
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,877 Posts
    that would be more than adequate

33. Post #1673
    September 2009
    486 Posts
    that would be more than adequate
    Excellent. Thank you for the info!

34. Post #1674
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,877 Posts
    you're welcome! it definitely has a lot of room to grow, you'll learn more about photography from the camera and it has good auto modes. make sure you read up on how iso, shutter, and aperture affect exposure to get the most out of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #1675
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,097 Posts
    Would a canon 600d with a EF 50mm F1.8 II be a good start? As in, for a absolute newbie.
    Don't buy it body only though, the kit lens while not amazing is great for learning and cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #1676
    September 2009
    486 Posts
    Don't buy it body only though, the kit lens while not amazing is great for learning and cheap.
    I don't know what to choose, either the kit with the stock one or that 50 mm one(been reading a few articles). Is the difference big between these lenses? Or should I save up and maybe purchase a better lens later on?

37. Post #1677
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,728 Posts
    I don't know what to choose, either the kit with the stock one or that 50 mm one(been reading a few articles). Is the difference big between these lenses? Or should I save up and maybe purchase a better lens later on?
    The 50mm will be faster and produce better quality photographs, but you'll be limited to one focal length. So you'll need to do a lot of moving around to get a shot. That's not a bad thing, of course. Kit lenses are generally 'do everything' lenses, so while they are very versatile (Some stuff is easier with a zoom, but not too much) they lack the optical quality of a fixed (prime) lens like the 50.

A 50 will last you much longer in your photography life than a kit lens. Eventually you'll grow out of a kit lens, but a standard 50 is always useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #1678
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    maybe this will help you afford it more
    http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ca...600d/MTExMzc_A

39. Post #1679
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,723 Posts
    I guess this is off topic, but is there a detailed description onto how cameras work down to the bone? I don't get the whole lenses things and everything.

40. Post #1680
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,831 Posts
    How a camera works eh?
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera2.htm
    try this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)