1. Post #521
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,210 Posts
    oh and if you wait a bit for the Nex 5N, it'll have a 16.2 MP sensor, and take 1080p video instead of 1080i. It'll probably be 650-700 though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #522
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    What the 550d can produce:
    Slow motion - http://vimeo.com/16340475
    CGI Bullshit - http://vimeo.com/14852606
    Sweet timelapses - http://vimeo.com/20062206

Etc etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #523
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    oh and if you wait a bit for the Nex 5N, it'll have a 16.2 MP sensor, and take 1080p video instead of 1080i. It'll probably be 650-700 though.
    and still no audio in?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #524
    April 2011
    244 Posts
    probably not, considering the NEX-C3 has audio in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

5. Post #525
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    probably not, considering the NEX-C3 has audio in.
    impressive

6. Post #526
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,210 Posts
    I mean if you really do have the $1000 budget, the 550D does take better video and have more creative control, but if you are looking at the lower end of your budget, I'd consider the nex over other cameras in the price range. The footage does look a bit choppy on youtube though because of the video being interlaced and youtube forcing it to be progressive. the Nex 3 takes smoother looking video for youtube, but is only 720p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

7. Post #527
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I mean if you really do have the $1000 budget, the 550D does take better video and have more creative control, but if you are looking at the lower end of your budget, I'd consider the nex over other cameras in the price range. The footage does look a bit choppy on youtube though because of the video being interlaced and youtube forcing it to be progressive. the Nex 3 takes smoother looking video for youtube, but is only 720p
    550d isn't $1000?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #528
    June 2009
    480 Posts
    Yeah I know what you mean, and on the stationary or moving footage, just give me what you have it doesn't matter to me.

9. Post #529
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    The footage does look a bit choppy on youtube though because of the video being interlaced and youtube forcing it to be progressive. the Nex 3 takes smoother looking video for youtube, but is only 720p
    hahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahaahah
    hahahahah
    sorry im laughing at you saying the 550D is interlaced

Edited:

sony gimp the fuck out of video on low end cameras, if you buy a $2000 prosumer camcorder from them, it only shoots HDV at 1080i50
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #530
    April 2011
    244 Posts
    hahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahaahah
    hahahahah
    sorry im laughing at you saying the 550D is interlaced
    I think he meant the NEX-5.
    actually, I have no idea what he meant it's confusing.

11. Post #531
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Just re-read that and realized how dumb you are being.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #532
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    or, as we see here, only offer a small res

13. Post #533
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I think he meant the NEX.

Nope, read the last sentence.

14. Post #534
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts

yeah i know

CALLING YOU OUT TROGDON

15. Post #535
    April 2011
    244 Posts
    yeah, he meant the NEX-5 looks choppier than the NEX-3.

Edited:

which is why the number is important.

16. Post #536
    June 2009
    480 Posts
    If I'm going to be buying DSLR for video, does anyone know a good tutorial on how to shoot with it?

17. Post #537
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    What the 550d can produce:
    Slow motion - http://vimeo.com/16340475
    CGI Bullshit - http://vimeo.com/14852606
    Sweet timelapses - http://vimeo.com/20062206

Etc etc
    as a side-note to the slow motion, he used twixtor to increase the slowmo a bit. Probably the free version (or on a cheap fast-render mode) because you see that obnoxiously jumpy morphing effect in high detail stuff like the water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #538
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    If I'm going to be buying DSLR for video, does anyone know a good tutorial on how to shoot with it?
    Their are plenty of tutorials on YouTube on how to shoot video for DSLR's, but this one particularly came to mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #539
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,210 Posts
    Nope, read the last sentence.
    how is that confusing? I meant that the nex 5 looks choppier than the nex 3 on youtube, the nex 5 was the last thing that i mentioned in the previous sentence, thus meaning that "the footage" was the direct object of the last used noun, which was the nex 5. And looking up the 550 on google I'm getting around an average of $800-950.
    I was referring to the nex 5 having semi choppy video on youtube because of it running at 1080i, and youtube forcing 1080p, which makes it look choppy. I've looked at videos of both the nex 3 and the nex 5, and as far as youtube goes, the nex 3 looks smoother, but does not take as high res video.

I don't understand where i was being dumb there.

20. Post #540
    April 2011
    244 Posts
    you weren't being very clear.

21. Post #541
    June 2009
    480 Posts
    Were getting of topic here. Trogdon, could I please see that footage.

22. Post #542
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,210 Posts
    sorry if i wasn't being clear.

but here is a video i took today on a tripod with the 16mm kit lens
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqnJ4bji3Qc
    sorry if the content is a bit... bizarre.

23. Post #543
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,545 Posts
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Ex...ideo-Tips.page

It's Nikon and most people go Canon for video, but I've watched the whole series and most of the tips are generic enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,134 Posts
    I was looking at a comparison video between the Nikon D5100 and the Canon 550D/T2i with video functionality and frankly I couldn't notice any differences. I'm sure someone will say that the T2i is better and I'm sure they're right but personally I'm not that picky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    I was looking at a comparison video between the Nikon D5100 and the Canon 550D/T2i with video functionality and frankly I couldn't notice any differences. I'm sure someone will say that the T2i is better and I'm sure they're right but personally I'm not that picky.
    that makes me happy

26. Post #546
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,134 Posts
    Oh sorry it was the T3i, no difference though. xD

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

27. Post #547
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,134 Posts
    Though the quality is good, be aware that the Nikon D5100 does not allow you to manually set the exposure in video mode. Not sure about manual focus in video mode though...I think you can do it.

Woops no automerge...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

28. Post #548
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    Though the quality is good, be aware that the Nikon D5100 does not allow you to manually set the exposure in video mode. Not sure about manual focus in video mode though...I think you can do it.

Woops no automerge...
    I still don't understand why one would want to change the exposure in the middle of a video clip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #549
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I still don't understand why one would want to change the exposure in the middle of a video clip
    What are you talking about? Do you not use manual mode on your camera like almost everyone does.
    Shooting video on the Nikon is like shooting your photos in Auto mode.

Edited:

The Nikon has far less creative control, it may have good quality, but you will find yourself severely limited.

30. Post #550
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    What are you talking about? Do you not use manual mode on your camera like almost everyone does.
    Shooting video on the Nikon is like shooting your photos in Auto mode.

Edited:

The Nikon has far less creative control, it may have good quality, but you will find yourself severely limited.
    Yeah but can't you just post process the exposure effects in the middle of clips? And in a video what sort of situation would call for an emergency exposure change anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #551
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Yeah but can't you just post process the exposure effects in the middle of clips? And in a video what sort of situation would call for an emergency exposure change anyway
    I don't think you realize how important having full control over exposure is, it isn't always just getting 'the lighting right'. If you are looking to do video I have no idea why you are looking at Nikon for that.

32. Post #552
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    I don't think you realize how important having full control over exposure is, it isn't always just getting 'the lighting right'. If you are looking to do video I have no idea why you are looking at Nikon for that.
    I've accepted that Canon is the one for video, but I just don't know when one would use manual exposure in a clip...

33. Post #553
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Sigh. That's like saying 'I don't know when one would use manual exposure when taking a photo.'
    Waste your money buying a D5100 if you wan't, but if you wan't to shoot video you will become very frustrated.

34. Post #554
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    Sigh. That's like saying I don't know when one would use manual exposure when taking a photo.
    Waste your money buying a D5100 if you wan't, but if you wan't to shoot video you will become very frustrated.
    Urgh you're still not telling me! I've already wasted my money on a D3100, haven't tried out the video yet though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #555
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Urgh you're still not telling me! I've already wasted my money on a D3100, haven't tried out the video yet though
    Wow you gone an bought one even though everyone else told you not to if you were shooting video.
    You can figure yourself why it's bad for creative video when you actually try to make a proper video with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #556
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    Wow you gone an bought one even though everyone else told you not to if you were shooting video.
    You can figure yourself why it's bad for creative video when you actually try to make a proper video with it.
    everyone here seemed to be really against nikon but all the reviews and videos said it was actually pretty good, we'll see how it goes

37. Post #557
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    everyone here seemed to be really against nikon but all the reviews and videos said it was actually pretty good, we'll see how it goes
    what reviews? did any directly compare it to the 550D for video production as we are doing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #558
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    what reviews? did any directly compare it to the 550D for video production as we are doing?
    digitalrev did a comparison and they were pretty much equal in terms of picture quality etc. , the only thing they said would make the 550D better for video if you're getting serious was the external mic input, but I have an external audio source sorted out

and I checked out a lot of video tests for both cameras and they seemed very similar

39. Post #559
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Yeah but you are comparing on raw quality and not the actual control you get over the video.
    Have fun regretting your decision!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #560
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    Yeah but you are comparing on raw quality and not the actual control you get over the video.
    Have fun regretting your decision!
    That's not nice :( What can a man do if he's on a budget?