1. Post #1
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts
    [RELEASE]For all of you new people to these boards: You're welcome to stay, don't be an idiot and post wrong shit in the wrong thread.
    Included in this thread are some helpful pointers, tips, and other useful shit about airsoft.
    Listen to our advice. It can only help you, we will prevent you from doing any shit you will regret.
    We also have a bunch of community things we do, such as a Facepunch gearwhores video chat, located at tinychat.com/fpgearwhores or ArmA 2 shenanigans, as well as quite a few other things.
    and for FUCK'S SAKE don't start any arguments, we already have enough off topic discussions as it is.[/RELEASE]

Seeing as this is the first thread you might look at (if you're new here), you might want to know some unwritten rules around here.
    Some of us prefer some things that others don't but we can all probably agree on what is below. The general rule of thumb around here is that you should lurk a bit, as in any forum, and realize what's okay to post and what isn't.
    Use common sense.

Well, as this isn't a rules thread, it's a questions and information thread, let's get to the information.

Useful threads
    You may want to check some of these out.
    Sure, there's probably more, but these are the most recent AFAIK.

[RELEASE]Stupideye's "This is Russian Gear thread"
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/101...an-Gear-Thread
    It's about Russian gear.[/RELEASE]

[RELEASE]CubemanV2's Review threads
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/867...ews-MegaThread (Gun Reviews)
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/886...ews-MegaThread (Gear Reviews)
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/991386-MRE-Reviews (MREs)
    These are worth a read.[/RELEASE]

[RELEASE]Kawaii's Super-Fucking-Useful Threads
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/100...bout-Reloading! (This thread is about reloading)
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/995...king-Chest-Rig (Mutha Fucking Chicom)
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/102...g-Noob-Faggots (Mother fucking Noob Faggot Guide)[/RELEASE]

[RELEASE]Deathmog's Review Threads
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/103...r-(56k-warning) (Cheap Gear thread bitches)
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/104...Blowback-Model (G&G Combat Machine review)[/RELEASE]

[RELEASE]Metal Man's Skeletal Stock Thread, Fenriswolf's PDW thread and Wordworth's STALKER thread.
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/996...p-That-Crap-Up!
    (mmmmm, paracord)
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/958...ories-Included
    (It's about a PDW)
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/802...Loadout-Thread.
    (A cool read for STALKER fans.)[/RELEASE]

[RELEASE]AirsoftCanada, springs:
    http://www.airsoftcanada.com/SpringChart.php
    This isn't an FP thread, but it's about springs.[/RELEASE]
    Of course, don't necropost, and let's move on to some other shit, seeing as those threads compress this OP into a smaller OP, so a lot of stuff won't be included here.
    Now, here's some shit from the last thread, as well as the shit from the stickied thread, but nobody really pays attention to it, so I might as well post it here.

The Sticky Thread's content is below.
    [RELEASE]The following is ripped from here, and is therefore not something I take credit for.

BY COMING HERE YOU ARE ACCEPTING THAT YOU WILL GET:

-Constructive Criticism that you probably wont listen to anyways, but should if you know what's good for you.
    -Better Ideas from other people that you probably don't want to admit are better.
    -Most likely flamed by BlueSaint at some point for calling something the wrong name or something. ( Clip =/= Magazine )
    -The website you are shopping at is probably shitty. (see below for good sites)

Good websites you should shop from:

Clothing/Gear/Camo

http://www.hassayampasurplus.com - Based in the US of A, fantastic costumer service, and great obscure camos.
    www.ebairsoft.com - Based in asia, has some cheap offbeat camo.
    www.flecktarn.co.uk - You'd never guess what they sell. Great selection, good service by phone.
    www.polimil.co.uk - Have a browse, they have great service and a large selection of useful bits and bobs.
    www.opsgear.com - This site is the place to get gear for your airsoft needs. They also have a small selection of guns but this site is dedicated to gear.
    www.bdu.com - American site primarily for buying combats.
    www.soviet-propaganda.com/ - Good customer support, based in Russia.
    www.skippersmilitarysupply.com/ - US based, Russian gear.
    www.redforces.com/ - Soviet/modern gear.

Airsoft Stores

UK
    www.fire-support.co.uk - Reasonable pricing (for the UK anyway), good service.
    www.airsoftscotland.co.uk - Complete rip-off, although they get good deals on Pyros.

USA
    www.airsoftextreme.com - Easy to navigate and has some of the best guns in stock.
    www.airsplat.com - I'm joking, seriously. Do not buy from here.
    www.airsoftgi.com - AirsoftGI is basically the god of Airsoft stores. There are almost no complaints from them but apparently there Returns need some work.
    www.evike.com - Not reliable on shipping dates, but they have a large selection.

Hong Kong/China Dealers
    www.wgcshop.com - Okay prices, Seem to have to get quotes on the price before you actually buy.
    www.rsov.com - Brilliant service, postage is steep unless you buy in bulk, in which case it's the cheapest site around.
    www.redwolfairsoft.com - Another Chinese retailer, good prices, some rare pieces.
    www.ebaybanned.com - Brilliant prices, good service and delivery. The horror stories are from people who didn't read the on-screen instructions when buying.
    www.airsoft-club.com - Good prices, expensive chinese shipping, shipping is shorter than some other chinese sites, but still takes a while.

Canadian Dealers
    VelocityArms.ca - No opinion, Seems to carry a LOT of things, almost looks like a canadian AGI.
    CapitalAirsoft.ca - No opinion, A hodgepodge of high-range and low range AEGs, doesn't have many in stock at a time.
    BuyAirsoft.ca - No opinion, Hard to navigate, OK selection.
    Mach1Airsoft.com - No opinion, A hodgepodge of high to mid-range AEGs, terrible site design and not many parts to buy.

READ THIS IF YOU ARE FROM THE UK AND WANT TO START AIRSOFTING, THERE ARE LAWS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT!

Some good websites to purchase Two-Tone weapons from are:
    www.zerooneairsoft.co.uk - will spray paint any weapon two tone for FREE
    www.actionhobbies.co.uk - has a selection of specially made two tone weapons
    www.airsoftworld.co.uk - same as above and apparently two tone any weapon other than GBB for 20 quid
    www.surplusstore.co.uk - has a wide selection of Two-Tone weapons and various other bits and bobs
    www.fire-support.co.uk - has a small selection of non-UKARA (another term for Two-Tone) which apparently will also two tone any weapon for 15 quid if asked by email

WANT TO KNOW WHAT BARREL LENGTH YOUR GUN IS? CLICK DIS LINK RIGHT HERE
    http://www.airsoftgiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1881

GOING TO CQB FOR YOUR FIRST TIME? WANT SOME TIPS? CLICK HERE
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=867503

HOW LONG DO I CHARGE MY BATTERY? ASK NO MORE!
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/batterycalc.html
    And here's a more in-depth post about batteries
    http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=848

and ender gets his Christmas wish! (kinda)

(Thanks to MC Mackers for the UK Info)

(Thanks Marine1st for the original website listing.)

(Thanks to xXEnder007Xx for the post about batteries and for being overly helpful)

(Thanks to StupidEye for the CQB tips)
    [/RELEASE]
    /end oldass sticky quote
    Post your questions and shit.
    If somebody had dibbs on this thread beforehand, I will gladly snip my post and ask for the thread to be locked so the person who had dibbs on this version can post it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

2. Post #2
    ಥ益ಥ ... Beautiful.
    April 2006
    12,082 Posts
    Woo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,103 Posts
    Let's make this the best questions thread ever!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    ಥ益ಥ ... Beautiful.
    April 2006
    12,082 Posts
    Add airsoft-club to the hong kong list and write that it takes a long-ass time to ship
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2010
    1,031 Posts
    Every FP link except for the MRE Review comes up as a 404. Is this just me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts
    Done.

Edited:

The sticky is older than shit, so if somebody makes an updated sticky list to put in there instead of the old sticky, then i'll replace the old shitty list with that.

Edited:

Woah woah, hold up a second, those links should still be good.

Edited:

Hold up, i'll go fix the links.

Edited:

I'm kinda lazy. I'll do it later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,252 Posts
    You could have at least edited the BlueSaint part to Kawaii or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2008
    931 Posts
    the
    And here's a more in-depth post about batteries
    http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=848
    Is still dead.

wait all the links are.

wait somebody already said this 10 hours ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    ಥ益ಥ ... Beautiful.
    April 2006
    12,082 Posts
    Ok random question parroted from chat thread:

AEX is selling the Classic Army M249MkII for a bargain price of $299 because according to the cashier noone ever fucking buys it

The cashier knows me well so he's willing to discount it and the price will be bumped down to approximately $260-ish

Reading some reviews online it seems like a decent gun; should I go for it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    If you can handle the weight, go for it. I already responded in the other thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,252 Posts
    Are King Arms mid caps good?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Philippines Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,817 Posts
    What's the deal with charging batteries? If you don't charge them to max is that their new max charge or something? Like if you're supposed to charge it for 8 but you charge it for 6 will it not charge for 8 anymore after that?

13. Post #13
    August 2008
    931 Posts
    What's the deal with charging batteries? If you don't charge them to max is that their new max charge or something? Like if you're supposed to charge it for 8 but you charge it for 6 will it not charge for 8 anymore after that?
    It depends on the battery. I doubt you're talking about lipo because those asplode if you dont know what youre doing.

NiCd can develop "memory". NiMH also can, but it's much harder to develop a memory. The safest way to keep it from getting that useless feature is to drain it all the way then charge it all the way. Nicer chargers (as in pretty much you wont find one this nice on airsoftgi or evike, look around on model RC car websites, airsoft uses the same batteries) have programs that drain and charge the battery several times.

Basically crystals build up in the battery if you dont completely discharge the battery before charging it again. As far as I know what you recharge it too doesn't matter as much as what you discharge it too. High end batteries (again, you wont find these on airsoft gi or evike) have to be kept above a specific voltage in storage, which is why you see some chargers support like 8 packs at once, these chargers are for storing the battery. Now if you did build up a memory in some cells, there are ways to "break" it. It's pretty easy, if you have a nice charger. It will however never be as good as a cell that you didnt let build up a memory in the first place.

Now when it comes to airsoft, it doesn't matter as much if your battery dies whereas if you're flying a $4000 RC plane... I personally use the RC stuff, its a bigger investment but I hardly ever buy new cells and I'm more confident that I'll get through the day with a good ROF and it wont die in a critical moment. Having one hueg good battery is better than carrying 2 small cheap ass intellect batteries.

Also forgot to add somewhere in there, when you're charging, what the temperature of the cells are, not it's voltage, is what you have to monitor. It varies from cell to cell, right now my cell of choice for my battery packs is a 4600 mAh NiMH that is just absolutely crazy. Watching one of those cells vent (explode) was terrifying and I learned WAY more about taking care of batteries that way. These cells have to be charged to 125 degrees fahrenheit. My charger has a probe you tape to the pack and it watches for that, I also got a IR thermometer off amazon for like $20, it points a lazer and you can measure the temperature of stuff from across the room. So much fun. Just thought you might want to know that bit as you also didnt know anything about memory. Now you can use delta peak to charge the pack if its a low mAh pack, as they're harder to damage. Almost every smart charger has a delta peak program that runs and is usually pretty fool proof. If you want to damage your pack, plug it into a trickle charger on the wall and let it sit overnight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts
    Don't worry guys, i'll fix the OP tonight when I have time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,708 Posts
    I am proud of you, son.

Edited:

link the old threads and then es ist vollkommen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,098 Posts
    I was not able to play airsoft for the past year due to work and other stuff. Anyway, now it's time again to shoot some stuff. I used to play with a systema max II, and now I kinda got bored of it. So my question is simple, what big news did I miss from a year ago to now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Croatia Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,252 Posts
    GBBRs seem to be slowly taking off a bit more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Philippines Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,098 Posts
    They came out around that time I stopped playing. I only remember Western Arms making some. I guess there are a lot of china copies on the market (?). How has their quality been increased? Worth to buy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Croatia Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,420 Posts
    Quality is alright, you have to maintain them alot. I'm holding out on getting one so cost goes down and quality goes up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #20
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,999 Posts
    NiCd can develop "memory". NiMH also can, but it's much harder to develop a memory. The safest way to keep it from getting that useless feature is to drain it all the way then charge it all the way. Nicer chargers (as in pretty much you wont find one this nice on airsoftgi or evike, look around on model RC car websites, airsoft uses the same batteries) have programs that drain and charge the battery several times.
    How would you advise fully discharging the battery? Just use it till it runs dead? And I recall reading that it's a bad idea to fully discharge batteries, but you advise doing so, how come?

21. Post #21
    August 2008
    931 Posts
    Oops I wasn't very clear.

Deep discharge will reduce capacity on an NiMH battery. However, if you dont deep discharge, you'll start to build up a memory. Running a battery flat in an airsoft gun shouldn't stress it too bad, the amount of power required to turn that motor is much more than what you can do to squeeze every drop out of the pack. Plus doing a deep discharge cycle requires specific voltages and amps on a graph over time to break up the crystals the best. Things you let the charger do for you. Unless you have a really low torque gearbox, the memory effect doesn't happen to quickly with the RC batteries we use for airsoft.
    NiMH batteries also self discharge very quickly, in the form of heat if I recall correctly. You can't just charge a battery and throw it in the closet for a couple months and expect it to come out the same. They can even self discharge to the point of causing damage if you let them sit for too long.

Now for nickel based batteries, when you're at about 1 volt per cell, it's expended about 90-95% percent of it's power. If you discharge past that, you risk causing damage, unless you're doing a deep discharge cycle to prevent memory etc. Most battery manufactures consider an 80% discharge a full cycle and will rate their batteries for 80% of what it's real capacity is, but this isn't some sekret squirrel lifehack to get more power out of a cheaper battery. That's really the safest thing to do. It's when you drain a battery to 50% capacity and recharge from there, repeatedly, that you start to get a 50% memory.

Just remember that just because it's rechargeable, doesn't mean it lasts forever. NiMH batteries are a consumable product that have to be thrown away eventually (and you can throw them in the regular trash because they dont contain any toxic crap.). I hope I was more clear, I kind of have a problem remembering what exactly I wrote and I dont like to reread my essay I just wrote.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    They came out around that time I stopped playing. I only remember Western Arms making some. I guess there are a lot of china copies on the market (?). How has their quality been increased? Worth to buy?
    WA based GBBRs are money pits, seen people waste hundreds even a thousand dollars on them and they're still not field worthy.

WE on the other hand is very affordable ($230 for a G36C GBBR, M14 for $330 in some places) and are very skirmishible out of the box. The mags don't cost nearly as much as WA based mags either. Earlier WE closed bolt models weren't that accurate, but now all of their guns using the open bolt system have much better hop-up units. I can say my WE M14 easily outranges some AEGs when I toss .30g in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,103 Posts
    If I place an order from airsoft-club, how long should it take to arrive here in the US? I've heard a few wild estimates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

24. Post #24
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts
    Mine took about 2 weeks, give or take some days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2010
    1,031 Posts
    Best Combat Machine M4-fitting RIS hand guard?

26. Post #26
    August 2008
    931 Posts
    This: https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...em-ris-ii.html

You asked for the best...

The rubber padding on my cylinder head is cracking. Think it will be ok if I leave it or should I get a new cylinder head?

27. Post #27
    July 2010
    1,031 Posts
    This: https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...em-ris-ii.html

You asked for the best...

The rubber padding on my cylinder head is cracking. Think it will be ok if I leave it or should I get a new cylinder head?
    Lemme rephrase that. Best *affordable* RIS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2008
    931 Posts
    go on airsoftgi and pick one you like/is the proper length. Then get the madbull RIS fix. Those will both costs about $80-$100 together. Madbool is a good company. For the most part, airsoft RIS units are a bit wobbly. Partly due to the RIS, and the delta ring.

29. Post #29
    child porn prodigy
    April 2005
    15,354 Posts
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5767

this is nice

not sure how these mount though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

30. Post #30
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,181 Posts

This is the style handguard I currently have on my M4.

Will this work correctly on it?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=7975

31. Post #31
    August 2008
    931 Posts
    yes.

32. Post #32
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts

M4A1 handgaurd buddies! :buddy:
    I really need an ACOG.
    Codemonkey, as sexy as your Raider looks with it, think I can buy your ACOG off of you?
    I don't want to wait for dealextreme shipping, and you have the one I was going to get anyway.

33. Post #33
    August 2008
    931 Posts
    Doc, how bad is it?
    I've never seen this happen before so I am confused.

I'm imagining some horror scenario where that bit comes undone and clogs the tubes then the piston teeth get stripped and puppies die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,933 Posts

I have that rail (not the grip, though). I like it. Works well. Only problem is getting it really tight. Takes a while.

35. Post #35
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,181 Posts

M4A1 handgaurd buddies! :buddy:
    I really need an ACOG.
    Codemonkey, as sexy as your Raider looks with it, think I can buy your ACOG off of you?
    I don't want to wait for dealextreme shipping, and you have the one I was going to get anyway.
    Lemme guess, the white markings are tallies on the amount of kills you've gotten with it?

Edited:

I have that rail (not the grip, though). I like it. Works well. Only problem is getting it really tight. Takes a while.
    Will it work with the handguard encasing the battery?

36. Post #36
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,933 Posts
    Yeah. That's the way I have mine. The things that keep it on the handguard poke up maybe 1mm at the most.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    As my first post in the new thread, I want to send you all on a quest: find the "best," full metal, gas blow-back m4, with "realistic" mags (30 or so cap, metal) and any appropriate mods.

38. Post #38
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts
    Yeah, the tallies used to amount up to 40, but they got rubbed off during a combat course sunday.
    I've decided now that i'm going to be lazy and just mentally note them.
    Really, I just use them to show if i'm getting better at airsoft or not, and how much I get for however long I keep my CM in service as my primary.
    I think the number now is 44.

39. Post #39
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,181 Posts
    Yeah. That's the way I have mine. The things that keep it on the handguard poke up maybe 1mm at the most.
    Alright cool, still waiting on my M4 to be repaired. Hopefully its fixed so I can get back to playing. Also, does anyone have any experience with the ACOGs off of Dealextreme?

40. Post #40
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts
    Codemonkey does.

Edited:

I looked through his and I liked what I saw.