1. Post #1
    November 2010
    235 Posts
    Yes, this is the thread for the rather fantastic practise of emulation.

Basically, emulation is having a system within a system. Nearly every system, whether it's a console or a computer, can be emulated. Personally I haven't actually bought a video game in over a year, because I simply emulate all my shit when I feel the urge to play something. Near enough any modern computer can emulate up to at least N64, and a high-end computer can emulate pretty much anything. There's even an emulator for Wii.

But why? Well, actually (said in a snobby hipster-esque tone), there are several reasons. In the case of consoles, emulation can be an improvement on the original experience. For example, when done on a high-end graphics card, Gamecube games can have more detail, clarity, and overall clearer graphics through an emulator than actually playing the console. You'll see details that are in the original game, but the console didn't quite have the processing power to display. And, for consoles such as PS1 and N64 which have 3D graphics but are choppy, most emulators have features that smooth the graphics and improve the colour clarity to give the appearance of a current generation game.

It's much more practical to emulate than to actually buy a system for several reasons. The physical presence of the system, although more genuine, also fills up a fuckton of space. Whereas any hard drive can comfortably contain several systems and their best games. A NES game is about 200kb, a GBA game is about 4 MB at most and a N64 game is about 40MB at most, with games like Mario 64 taking up little more than 8 MB.

And you can emulate rare or expensive systems. A Sinclair ZX Spectrum will set you back around 150 and a few weeks for shipping, whereas an emulator will take the best part of 10 seconds to install and is free. Or, if you're the masochistic sort, you could save yourself 400 on games like Caltron 6 in 1, Action 52, E.T. and Miss World Nude '96. But if someone was making me play these games, I'd pay them 400 to let me leave. And there's no clutter.

Jeez, the thought of having all these consoles and systems so readily available just gets my cock flapping. Where can I start?

I use http://doperoms.com/emulators/ to find my emulators. There's also MESS, which supports a fuck load of systems, but I can't get it set up for some reason, so I have no personal experience. However, single-system emulators are often better anyway, because they are dedicated to improving the experience of that particular system. With MESS, it seems as if they've just crammed every system you've never heard of into one package. DopeROMs also has a fine selection of ROMs. Just pick any game and download it. You can't really go wrong. If you don't like it, just delete it and pick another.

That's about it, I guess. Post any emulators you know of that are good, any good ROMs, anything.

EDIT: No one am post in my sexy thread? I exerted all my mental energy on its creation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    626 Posts
    Is this not illegal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 24Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,195 Posts
    Is this not this illegal?
    Emulators are not.
    Owning a downloading a BIOS of a game console that you do not own is, same story with ROMs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    626 Posts
    Is it legal to download a game for an emulator if you own it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2009
    1,537 Posts
    ROMs are a legal gray area: If you own the game and download a ROM of it, it's perfectly legal. If not, it's illegal.

Also I have to agree with emulation being visually better. With emulation you can run at much higher resolutions compared to consoles, and have texture filtering, anti aliasing, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    November 2010
    235 Posts
    Is it legal to download a game for an emulator if you own it?
    I think you can, providing you can prove you own the original.

Also, I'm rather curious about one particular issue. I own the GBA port of Super Mario Bros, but not the NES cart. Does that mean if I downloaded the NES ROM and played it, that would be okay?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,150 Posts
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    So does this mean if I downloaded the BIOS of a GBA for my Android phone (Gameboid), and I already have like.... 5 Gameboy Advances in my house, that means it's technically legal, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2010
    235 Posts
    Also, guys, I also collect consoles so most of my emulation is done legally. I have maybe 10 emulators total that I don't have the systems for, and they're all obscure ass systems that I wouldn't be able to find if I set my heart on it.

I also have 20-odd consoles which I bought, but use emulators for because I don't have the required cables/games/adapters/whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    I think you can, providing you can prove you own the original.

Also, I'm rather curious about one particular issue. I own the GBA port of Super Mario Bros, but not the NES cart. Does that mean if I downloaded the NES ROM and played it, that would be okay?
    No. It's a different game legally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2010
    235 Posts
    Welp, that's TEH FUKKIN GHEY.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 31Funny Funny x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2009
    1,537 Posts
    I'm not familiar with the GBA port, but if it's the same game just on a different console, it's still the same game. I've never liked the idea that just because it's on another console means it's "legally" different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    November 2010
    235 Posts
    I'm not familiar with the GBA port, but if it's the same game just on a different console, it's still the same game. I've never liked the idea that just because it's on another console means it's "legally" different.
    Yeah, it's actually called the NES Classics port. I just thought because they probably changed the game engine or something for the GBA controls, but come to think of it the GBA has the NES controls but scaled down, so I suppose it is the same game.

14. Post #14
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,822 Posts
    Legality of emulators and ROMs varies country-to-country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    Emulators are best thing ever. I love 'em. I can't wait to JPCSP/PCSP to be finished so I can play my PSP games with much better quality and AA like Peace Walker.

Also when I tried running Futurama Game (Xbox) in VMWare

I knew this would happen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,195 Posts
    Emulators on phones are the best thing ever. I love 'em
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    Emulators on phones are the best thing ever. I love 'em
    Oh hell yeah. Playing GBA games on PSP is such a fun, because of their similar design.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    Emulators are best thing ever. I love 'em. I can't wait to JPCSP/PCSP to be finished so I can play my PSP games with much better quality and AA like Peace Walker.
    Oh awesome. Last I heard, the project was dead. Seems not.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    Also this is perfect example why I love emulators.
    Filtering with native resolution.

Filtering with 2x native resolution.
    It makes MGS3 so pretty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    August 2009
    1,250 Posts
    Also this is perfect example why I love emulators.

It makes MGS3 so pretty.
    That HUD looks horrible.

I never got a PS2 Emulator to run properly though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,542 Posts
    Oh hey, did anyone say

emulation? :buddy:
    That's Wii, lads, running in 1920x1080 glorious pixels. :c00lbert:

SMBWii here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/Scre...8-12-04-58.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/Scre.../Wii/nsmb1.png
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Wow, how well did it run?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    The Wii can be emulated amazingly well, especially for a current-gen console.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Last time I tried on my '08 dv5 it was pretty laggy...

Then again since I have a much better computer now, I may try again.
    I bet my HD 5450 can do a much better job then whatever my dv5 had... Even if it is sub-par.

25. Post #25
    August 2009
    1,250 Posts
    It's a last gen console TBH. All it is a overclocked gamecube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    It's a last gen console TBH. All it is a overclocked gamecube.
    Yeah, I guess so. Kind of impressive regardless.

27. Post #27
    November 2010
    235 Posts
    Hm, sweet. Can't wait for my desktop (8GB RAM, HD 6950, i7 2500k, 850w PSU, HAF X, P67A-UD7-B3). That fucker will emulate everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Hm, sweet. Can't wait for my desktop (8GB RAM, HD 6950, i7 2500k, 850w PSU, HAF X, P67A-UD7-B3). That fucker will emulate everything.
    Good luck with PS2 games though.
    But that's mostly because the ps2 architecture makes it hard to emulate said console environment for complex PS2 games.

Oh the joy of various processor architectures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,195 Posts
    But that's mostly because the ps2 architecture makes it hard to emulate said console environment for complex PS2 games.

Yup, my i7-2600k along with Nivdia GTX 570 struggles to play some games with out a bit of slow down. Need to enable audio skipping otherwise it sounds so bad.

30. Post #30
    November 2010
    235 Posts

Meh, I can skip a console. I'll be busy enough with the Wii, which should be okay, GC, PS1, and so on.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,165 Posts
    Oh hey, did anyone say

emulation? :buddy:
    That's Wii, lads, running in 1920x1080 glorious pixels. :c00lbert:

SMBWii here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/Scre...8-12-04-58.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/Scre.../Wii/nsmb1.png
    The best thing is that I can use an XBOX 360 controller, which I prefer over the Classic Controller and Wiimote layouts for Brawl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,967 Posts
    If only you could connect to the online services, as well.
    Monster Hunter Tri on PC!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2009
    614 Posts
    Virtual machines also fall under emulation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,195 Posts
    Oh wow, I just forgot about this.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,818 Posts
    I bet netplay plugins are in the works, there's one for N64 and it's great. Mario party 2 online erryday

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,499 Posts

Mame 4 lyfe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Aww yeah, playing DOS games on my virtualized Win3.11 instance :frogc00l:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,967 Posts
    I bet netplay plugins are in the works, there's one for N64 and it's great. Mario party 2 online erryday
    No, connecting to official Wii online services is a bit different.

39. Post #39
    January 2010
    640 Posts
    If you mean x86 virtual machines you are wrong.
    It's virtualization, not emulation.

Emulation creates 2 layers, one for indirection and one for translation for the host hardware.
    With Virtualization, the guest machine is mearly isolated in memory and the instructions then passed on to the hardware with no translation.

You are only right if you are talking about PPC or ARM VMs on x86 or ARM or x86 on PPC, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    January 2009
    614 Posts
    I would barely call it current-gen.
    It's more like an updated last-gen console.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)