1. Post #41
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    I prefer a dark scheme myself, mainly because it doesn't strain my eyes as with a bright / white / default scheme. When it's late in the evening and I'm looking, sometimes even staring at my code, can give me a headache.
    F.lux does wonders for screen staring headaches.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

I personally use default on all my IDE's, mainly because i can't be Arsed to change it, and default is perfectly fine. I now and then Arange my icons (important stuff to the right) and i have a folder with wallpapers but that's about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #42
    q3k
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    921 Posts
    While on the topic of brightness eyerape, f.lux partially takes care of that by lowering your color temperature when the sun goes down in your area.

edit: :ninja:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,503 Posts
    I just don't understand why you can't use the default theme/colours/settings. Is it so terrible?

What if you get a real job programming and have to look at a colleague's computer and can't read his code because his screen isn't black with green text on it.

I really don't understand why you'd take the time to fuck around with that stuff. Maybe I've grew out of it. I used to change my desktop theme and arrange my icons. I used to have the taskbar at the top, and the side, and have it auto hiding. Now when I see someone has changed that stuff it just makes them seem ridiculous - changing stuff, not because it's any better - just because they can, to prove they know how. Like anyone would be impressed.
    Are you kidding? Nobody changes settings to impress someone. I see your point about a job in programming but that doesn't mean you can't adjust the aesthetics to your liking at home, does it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    Visual C# 2010 and Visual C++ 2010 with default everything. I'm so mainstream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #45
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    ..I've been enlightened. Using this at 12:11AM right now. Shit's so much better to look at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,593 Posts
    Why don't you just turn your monitor brightness down?
    I'd rather stick with a nice color scheme that is nice to my eyes all day rather then having to change my brightness all the time. It's opinions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,451 Posts

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    While on the topic of brightness eyerape, f.lux partially takes care of that by lowering your color temperature when the sun goes down in your area.

edit: :ninja:
    Except not everyone's house has weak and ugly yellow lights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,695 Posts
    For C++ I use VS2010 with VisualSVN and Productivity Power Tools.

For everything else, there's Notepad++.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,159 Posts
    Why don't you just turn your monitor brightness down?
    I literally takes less time to install a theme than to change the brightness on my screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Winner Winner x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts

IDLE, just can't let go. Example code. I have installed Komodo Edit and do all my Ruby dev on there but I just am so used to IDLE. At some point I'll make the permanent switch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts

IDLE, just can't let go. Example code. I have installed Komodo Edit and do all my Ruby dev on there but I just am so used to IDLE. At some point I'll make the permanent switch.
    What font is that? It's very nice :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,710 Posts
    I just don't understand why you can't use the default theme/colours/settings. Is it so terrible?

What if you get a real job programming and have to look at a colleague's computer and can't read his code because his screen isn't black with green text on it.

I really don't understand why you'd take the time to fuck around with that stuff. Maybe I've grew out of it. I used to change my desktop theme and arrange my icons. I used to have the taskbar at the top, and the side, and have it auto hiding. Now when I see someone has changed that stuff it just makes them seem ridiculous - changing stuff, not because it's any better - just because they can, to prove they know how. Like anyone would be impressed.
    I've found a dark background to be lighter on the eyes during long programming hours.
    I've been using a darker theme for about 4 years now and I can still help my colleagues out while they use the default scheme with no problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #54
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts

All I ever use and ever needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts

I use a dark colour scheme and have my taskbar at the top because I prefer it. It's my computer and my environment so I set it up to fit how I work best.

I'm sorry that doesn't fall in line with your superior opinions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #56
    August 2007
    856 Posts
    Comparing some of the characters to what I use, I'd have to go with ProFont or something related.
    http://www.tobias-jung.de/seekingprofont/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    February 2011
    166 Posts
    bright white colour schemes can strain your eyes, it doesn't affect everyone, but it's there, specially later in the day. I know I make sure all my desktop wallpapers are dark for that reason (I don't change my themes though).

I use Gedit on Ubuntu and Notepad++ or Visual Studio on Windows. I tried to get code blocks working, but just couldn't get it how I liked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,070 Posts

I just love the System font charm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,392 Posts

I don't actually write worth shit but here have it anyways.

(Notepad++. This is the only screenshot I had at the time but i'm sure you know what the rest of notepad++ looks like.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,023 Posts
    Do you really need comments for simple shit like
    Code:
    gender.ToLower()
    It makes it all lower case? Never would have known that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    Do you really need comments for simple shit like
    Code:
    gender.ToLower()
    It makes it all lower case? Never would have known that.
    I'm learning. :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    Are you kidding? Nobody changes settings to impress someone. I see your point about a job in programming but that doesn't mean you can't adjust the aesthetics to your liking at home, does it?
    Anyone that moves their taskbar to the top of the screen isn't doing it because they prefer it there, they're doing it so people ask why their taskbar isn't at the bottom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb x 30Disagree x 5Funny x 5Agree x 3Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    Anyone that moves their taskbar to the top of the screen isn't doing it because they prefer it there, they're doing it so people ask why their taskbar isn't at the bottom.
    No, it's called consistency:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 13Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,095 Posts
    Anybody that uses Linux isn't using it because they prefer it, they're using it so people ask why they're not using Windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11Zing Zing x 6Funny Funny x 6 (list)

26. Post #66
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    Anyone who makes the who's online picture spin isn't doing it because they like it, they're doing it so people ask why they made the who's online picture spin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 24Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts

Although I really use Microsoft Expression Web when I'm making changes to my website.

28. Post #68
    October 2010
    54 Posts
    No, it's called consistency:

*pretty pictures*
    Which is great and all, I mean I love consistency, but the Windows task bar performs a task more akin to what the dock does in OS X so really it makes no sense whatsoever to have it up the top.

You see the dock and windows task bar are both used to launch program. The top bar on OS X works pretty much the same way as the menu bar on most windows apps with the exception of the Apple menu and menu bar icons.

Oh also, content:

I know my font is kinda on the large side but I have pretty poor vision. Also I find it kind of a pain to use dark schemes when I'm in a brightly lit room so in those cases it looks like this:

Oh also I use a font called Meslo which is a slight modification of Menlo that allows the user to pick from three different line heights. Mainly I just like to have my code more spaced out so I'm using the medium height variant here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    Which is great and all, I mean I love consistency, but the Windows task bar performs a task more akin to what the dock does in OS X so really it makes no sense whatsoever to have it up the top.
    spotlight

30. Post #70
    October 2010
    54 Posts
    spotlight
    Yeah but I'm assuming that most developers on OS X use something like Alfred/Quicksilver/Launchbar for searching.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    ProFontWindows - http://www.tobias-jung.de/seekingprofont/

Found it on some blog article about programming fonts. It's real nice, the # used to bug me but now I think it looks kinda cool.

32. Post #72
    November 2008
    629 Posts
    if(gender != "male" || gender != "female")
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #73
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    spotlight
    Sorry but it's not consistent. It's the Windows taskbar, it goes at the bottom. It's consistent for it to be at the bottom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    I've changed my terminal theme and GVim seems to really mess up when I use it in the editor, so it's vim for me now. Although, I'm liking the look a lot better.

35. Post #75
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,023 Posts
    Sorry but it's not consistent. It's the Windows taskbar, it goes at the bottom. It's consistent for it to be at the bottom.
    Contrary to what you believe, we aren't programming hipsters and change stuff just be "different".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    I spent $10 on this.
    April 2009
    5,468 Posts
    I actually keep my taskbar on the top, It gets in the way less to me when it's up there it seems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    I actually keep my taskbar on the top, It gets in the way less to me when it's up there it seems.
    It's also directly at eye level

Edited:

It's consistent with my systems, and more comfortable for me to work with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,378 Posts
    -snip-

39. Post #79
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    if(gender != "male" || gender != "female")
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    Visual C# 2010 and Visual C++ 2010 with default everything. I'm so mainstream.
    Actually, scratch that, this thread convinced me to change my color scheme...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)