1. Post #121
    Garry doesn't deserve a penny of my money
    October 2008
    1,169 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    Just installed Visual Studio 2010 Pro, So many buttons :psyduck:

3. Post #123
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I keep my taskbar on the right/left side.

Think about it. For any given window you've got menus, tabs and (possibly several layers of) toolbars at the top and probably a status bar at the bottom... and monitors are perpetually getting shorter and fatter. Because that's precisely what we all want. Less vertical room to read shit and more blank whitespace.

I mean look at this:

Why do interface designers keep using valuable vertical space instead of just throwing shit somewhere in the gigantic void to the left or right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,695 Posts
    Just installed Visual Studio 2010 Pro, So many buttons :psyduck:
    I know how you feel, and I don't even know what half of them does.

I mean seriously, what the fuck are code metrics?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Metrics for code, duh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

6. Post #126
    October 2008
    1,169 Posts

Nor do I. People talk about how useful some features are which I didn't even know it had. For example: Refactoring.

7. Post #127
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts

Like just what i understood most of the visual studio express buttons i decide to install pro, now i have no clue what i am doing again.

What is the difference betwheen building and compiling ?

8. Post #128
    November 2008
    629 Posts
    How do you make everything dark, not just the "coding area"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

9. Post #129
    October 2008
    1,169 Posts
    How do you make everything dark, not just the "coding area"?
    http://www.nerdpad.com/visual-studio...nd-color-theme
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    Oh, duh. You have to use &&, not ||.
    You're saying "If the gender isn't male, write this. If the gender isn't female, write this."
    So if you enter "male", it'll think Oh, "male" != "female", I have to write it.
    Oh...

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    815 Posts
    This.
    Why do interface designers keep using valuable vertical space instead of just throwing shit somewhere in the gigantic void to the left or right?
    This.

Pisses me off most especially on my netbook - vertical space is extremely limited. Thankfully, Microsoft knew the pitfalls of having a horizontal-only taskbar and has let us pin it vertically in most, if not all, of their operating systems.

Now if they could fix my IDE so I can dock windows on secondary monitors without crashing after going in to / out of debug mode, I would be happy. Either that, or don't have all the windows migrate down and to the right 4 pixels every time I attach a debugger.

Surely I am not the only person who puts the taskbar vertically on an auxiliary monitor. ...and for that matter, the solution explorer on an auxiliary monitor. It leaves enough space to view code side-by-side on the IDE while keeping vertical space to a maximum (without rotating the display, of course).

Plus, it allows me to view opinions on forums in 1080p - the viewing resolution intended by most posters
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,658 Posts

Think about it. For any given window you've got menus, tabs and (possibly several layers of) toolbars at the top and probably a status bar at the bottom... and monitors are perpetually getting shorter and fatter. Because that's precisely what we all want. Less vertical room to read shit and more blank whitespace.

I mean look at this:

I love aero snap for this reason alone, I can quite easily jam my browser (or other reference) on one side, and the IDE on the other without having to guess where the halfway point of the screen is.

Though it doesn't excuse UI designers not thinking about using that extra horizontal space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    815 Posts
    Disclaimer:
    I run Ubuntu on my netbook almost exclusively. Multiple workspaces are awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #134

15. Post #135
    October 2008
    1,169 Posts
    Only works for Pro?
    Oh yeah, extensions don't work on express copies.

16. Post #136
    December 2009
    2,227 Posts
    Only works for Pro?
    You can get a free copy of pro using the dreamspark program.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    July 2010
    1,039 Posts
    Here's mine:

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,695 Posts
    Here's mine:
    I like where that project is going
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    You can get a free copy of pro using the dreamspark program.
    But what if you aren't a student?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #140
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    Bizspark

21. Post #141
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    Since this is pretty much IDE-mania right here. Could anyone recommend one for linux? Possibly something that doesn't kill eyes.

Hint hint, Code::Blocks

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    Since this is pretty much IDE-mania right here. Could anyone recommend one for linux? Possibly something that doesn't kill eyes.

How does Code::Blocks kill your eyes, exactly? Seems fine to me. And you can always change the look of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,887 Posts

I can give you my eclipse theme, if you want.

24. Post #144
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Yeah, Code::Blocks has to be one of the least offensive FOSS IDEs. And it doesn't OMNOM your memory like Eclipse.

25. Post #145
    November 2008
    1,045 Posts
    Well then, I shall acquire this fancy IDE of yours and see what I can do about the looks.

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,704 Posts

27. Post #147
    October 2008
    718 Posts
    I use Sublime, which I prefer slightly to Notepad++. Sublime looks cooler with that minimap while Notepad++ is a little more user friendly, but they both have some nice default themes with dark backgrounds and neutral colours.

I need to find some good GCC x86 Assembly syntax colouring for both of them though.

28. Post #148
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    printhex()?

There's the %x format specifier for the printf family of functions.

29. Post #149
    October 2008
    718 Posts
    printhex()?

There's the %x format specifier for the printf family of functions.
    I know; I wrote it for printing the hex values of large strings/arrays in bulk nicely aligned and formatted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    January 2011
    642 Posts

Some of the colours don't quite match...

31. Post #151
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    980 Posts
    I just like mine plain:

Also loving the new scrollbar. :)

32. Post #152
    I spent $10 on this.
    April 2009
    5,468 Posts

Tried out sublime text 2 the other day and I'm really liking it a lot more than Notepad++. Using the Made of Code theme.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,023 Posts

Tried out sublime text 2 the other day and I'm really liking it a lot more than Notepad++. Using the Made of Code theme.
    What do you like about sublime more than notepad++ just out of interest?

34. Post #154
    I spent $10 on this.
    April 2009
    5,468 Posts
    What do you like about sublime more than notepad++ just out of interest?
    So far I'm loving the Minimap, the smoother UI and the Python console (seems pretty neat, thought I haven't played with it much).

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    I'd love a minimap for Notepad++. There isn't any though. :saddowns:

Somebody should make one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I'd love a minimap for Notepad++. There isn't any though. :saddowns:

Somebody should make one.
    There's a "textmap" plugin for gedit, although gedit is a little wonky under Windows. Also the plugin doesn't do proper antialiasing/downsampling, so the image is just an unintelligible mess.

37. Post #157
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,224 Posts
    Currently using Eclipse for a change, I like how it integrates tightly with GIT and project management systems (I was using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate before, but dropped it due to the fact it had no version control at all). Not so keen on how it handles deployment (damnit, I don't want to have to go through the Export menu every time I want to test again)

38. Post #158
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Currently I'm using Kodingen, as I've got my entire web testing stuff over there, and it works very well when using my netbook with jolicloud on.

39. Post #159
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Currently using Eclipse for my android app, and Sublime Text 2 for the webview sections of it.

40. Post #160
    October 2007
    391 Posts

Yeah, it's still a bit ugly, but it gets the job done.

I occasionally use Gedit and Eclipse, but this is a laptop and I like my keyboard shortcuts.

Also, yes, it's in French, it's a school project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux France Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)