1. Post #41
    May 2008
    1,135 Posts
    no it doesn't, CS is one of the most singular-skill oriented games out there

sure teamwork is part of the game but you can have the best aim in the world and carry anyone to victory

yes I play competitively
    at what level? league? like I said before, I've played on an esea-m/cevo-m team (and before that, several cal-im teams) and yes, one player can make a massive difference and try to put the team on their back. But you HAVE TO HAVE strats that work when you play at that level against good, cohesive teams.

you can definitely have very talented players that play as individuals and "pug it up" without strategies but those pug teams will always get dominated by good teams that work together. the last team that I was on would never pick up a kid that was incredibly talented but wouldn't follow directions or work with other people because that's poison for a team that's trying to play at a high level competitively

also, I was on a team with ZoFu (cal-i with 50 cal and several other teams) and nukeM (also a cal-i veteran) and even though they were tremendous individual players they would have been cut/benched had they been unable to work with the other members of the starting 5--or if they went rogue on T or didn't mesh well with the other person in their site on CT.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    I doubt you do, because if opposite team plays as team, no matter how good your aim is, you won't win.
    sponsored by vVv, one L4D championship win and one second place loss, getting our Brink server paid for

and no, I said if you have the best aim in the world, you will always win no matter what

Edited:

at what level? league? like I said before, I've played on an esea-m/cevo-m team (and before that, several cal-im teams) and yes, one player can make a massive difference and try to put the team on their back. But you HAVE TO HAVE strats that work when you play at that level against good, cohesive teams.

you can definitely have very talented players that play as individuals and "pug it up" without strategies but those pug teams will always get dominated by good teams that work together. the last team that I was on would never pick up a kid that was incredibly talented but wouldn't follow directions or work with other people because that's poison for a team that's trying to play at a high level competitively

also, I was on a team with ZoFu (cal-i with 50 cal and several other teams) and nukeM (also a cal-i veteran) and even though they were tremendous individual players they would have been cut/benched had they been unable to work with the other members of the starting 5--or if they went rogue on T or didn't mesh well with the other person in their site on CT.
    that's cool and all, I play with several people with cal-m xp and one who was backup for the cpl 2005 team zex

read my post again

3. Post #43
    November 2007
    1,610 Posts
    I might have to go back and start playing 1.6 again thanks to this article.

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,776 Posts
    Long live Crazytank[all versions], AWP City, De_Rats, and Big_City. Also... Rest in Peace, DaTwinkle Gaming.

5. Post #45
    August 2009
    14,865 Posts
    I completely understand what he's saying

I played CSS for years as a kid, and CS even when I was younger. I must've spent countless hours doing it, but I never, ever got bored of the game.

Eventually in CSS I got tired of the reg ct/t bomb defusual situations and looked into stuff like zombie mods, surf (oh god surf) and my personal favourite, GG or gun game.

I made a real group of friends there, we talked everyday, gamed, hung out together in our favourite servers every weekend. I looked forward to it every week and every hour I spent hanging and talking to them was an hour well spent. I miss those days, I really do. I don't think I'll ever experience something like that again.

Long live CS, king of the shooters
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    October 2009
    1,654 Posts
    I've had Counter-strike not very long compared to most of you. Probably a year and a half, I believe. At first I despised the game. It was very difficult and I assumed it was a very unbalanced game. As my friend beckoned me to play it more often I discovered I had misplaced it. Counter-strike is fun, even if its 'out-dated' missing many features that we have in modern gaming today such as iron sights. What makes me like it though is that thousands of fpses are based off of it, making Counter-strike a classic game. I hope they keep improving it, whether its in a sequel or large updates.

Despite my liking of the game, the community seems similar to TF2; rude and childish. Don't get me wrong, I love the game

Edited:

(oh god surf)
    I could never do surf. I still can't today lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    August 2009
    14,865 Posts
    I remember I had a friend come over (I was like, 12, 11 at the time) and we finally figured out how to surf

Oh god how we celebrated

Edited:

also fuck iron sights man, CS WAS the progenitor

It formed the basis for practically everything, it was groundbreaking

The only reason I'm not playing it today is because my PC fucked itself and steam and I can't run it anymore

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,960 Posts
    I remember i played CS non-stop 3 years ago, then i got bored.
    It's just the same thing over and over again, and it has one of the worst game communities ever.

9. Post #49
    August 2009
    14,865 Posts
    I didn't even knew it had a community
    I just played the game, and talked with people playing it

Any changes that were made to it I had no influence in

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,493 Posts

For obvious reasons there is no discussion possible about if CS is a good game. I mean it is 8 or 7 years old now? It has more players then MW2 and Counter Strike Source.
    Counter-Strike is almost 13 years old. Believe it or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,753 Posts
    Never liked CS, to this day I still think it is pretty shitty. I used to play Half-Life, UT99 and Quake 3 instead.

12. Post #52
    August 2009
    14,865 Posts
    Quake 3 was really arcade-y, I never got the whole hype surrounding HL and UT99 was awesome

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I gotta agree with the article, CS made pretty much every multiplayer FPS made afterwards pale in comparison. CS really is a perfect formula, and I've easily spent more hours on CS than every single other game combined.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,447 Posts
    "OMG u faget I know u hax. leave faget, leave. leave be4 teh admin banz u."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,467 Posts
    I remember we didn't have internet back then, so I would just keep playing through the training course over and over. Good times.

16. Post #56
    August 2009
    14,865 Posts
    SCREEEEEEEEE

17. Post #57
    February 2010
    6,750 Posts
    Counter-Strike really makes me wish I was a little older. Old enough that I was at my current age (14) around the time this game was in it's prime (even though it technically still is). I feel like I really missed out.

18. Post #58
    August 2009
    14,865 Posts
    I played CSS as a 11-12 year old and I had the best time of my life

I had a deep voice too so people didn't yell at me for using a mic

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,776 Posts
    I played Counterstrike for the first time back in 2002... Was only six. Jesus... Ten years ago, almost eleven years ago. The first time I played was at my friend Garys house because his dad was a modder for UT99. All I remember was the first time I played, I could barely reach the wasd keys so I shifted out, and began using the forward-backward-left-right keys. Good times. When I left NY in 2004 I didn't hear about the game till about... Late 05'. At that time Runescape was on the rage in my school so I played that, and my sisters ex-boyfriend, showed me counter strike again. Played the I-AM-BORED servers for about 2 months, then my sister, and her ex split up, and I was at lost for another month or so before my parents bought me my own steam account with a Day of Defeat 1.6, CS 1.6, Ricochet, and a few other games. I then began playing on DaTwinkle Gaming, and Cause 4 Alarm... So many great moments/years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #60
    October 2010
    11,587 Posts
    I love this game so much.

Rarely played online though.

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,672 Posts
    Even though it can be frustrating at times, I always come back to Counter Strike every once in a while for its hectic and crazy gameplay.

Seems like a testament to its longevity.

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    de_dust best map of any game ever forever
    Nope, de_dust2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    476 Posts
    Nope, de_dust2
    de_aztec was the shiz too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    de_inferno

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,023 Posts
    Counter Strike has it's moments, but I don't play i that much anymore. It was more amazing to me as a kid

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    254 Posts
    Jesus, this makes me depressed. I loved CS so much. When I didn't have a computer that could run it, I bought CS on the old Xbox and used to listen to Foo Fighters while I played it. It was me and my friends first LAN game (Or any online game), so it is special to all of us. I just remember playing a game mode where you could choose super hero skills and it really was the most fun I've ever had in my life.

27. Post #67
    Go Shuya! You can do it Shuya!
    December 2005
    5,774 Posts
    Counter-Strike still holds a very special place in my heart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,783 Posts
    Was the first 'proper' PC game I played, and my first online FPS. It's the game that got me into PC gaming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #69
    September 2010
    1,096 Posts
    No matter how many games I play, I always come back to cs.

30. Post #70
    Anyone remember siege from 1.6 (?) I miss that map... Really wish they converted it over with CSS straight off the bat

31. Post #71
    September 2009
    9,675 Posts
    Ahhh the memories

32. Post #72
    December 2009
    5,104 Posts
    CSS is so diffrent than CS 1.6

I prefer 1.6

33. Post #73
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,540 Posts
    It seems rare to find facepunch members talk of CS in a positive light.