1. Post #841
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    On the fancy spacedock for building, if worst comes to worst, we can always rebuild the model from scratch.
    Would you mind doing that please, if we can't find Cherubim's parts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #842
    April 2012
    8 Posts
    Sorry for interrupting...
    but since svn links are renewed, wont my old svn linked file update to latest?
    if it wont, how can i change svn's link to new one without losing files in it?
    because redownloading all the things would get so much time for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events

3. Post #843

August 2011
    22 Posts
    Well, I've already gone ahead and added most of the parts I and Mandrac made to the assembler tool, but I've yet to go in and try adding them to the spawner tool.

On the fancy spacedock for building, if worst comes to worst, we can always rebuild the model from scratch.
    I have the old SBMP folder and know for a fact that the spacedock parts are in it, but I can't pinpoint exactly where the files are within it. If someone wants me to zip the folder to send it, please let me know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #844
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Sorry for interrupting...
    but since svn links are renewed, wont my old svn linked file update to latest?
    if it wont, how can i change svn's link to new one without losing files in it?
    because redownloading all the things would get so much time for me.
    The old svn gets synced with the new one. So you don't have to change it. But if you ever have to checkout again fully. It's better to use the new svn...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events

5. Post #845

August 2011
    22 Posts
    Would you mind doing that please, if we can't find Cherubim's parts?
    I have found Cherubim's parts, need to know who to send the zip to

6. Post #846
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    I have found Cherubim's parts, need to know who to send the zip to
    You could just upload it somewhere and post a link.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #847

August 2011
    22 Posts
    You could just upload it somewhere and post a link.
    I've uploaded it to my DropBox public folder. Here's a direct link to the file itself. It's a zip of the old SBMP addon, all I know is that the models are somewhere in it. Exactly WHERE the specific files are that are the files explicitly for Cherubim's space-dock, I do NOT know. Someone who's better than me at picking out which files are needed for which in-game objects will have to examine the zip file's contents.

8. Post #848

April 2012
    10 Posts
    I don't have half of the tools in my game, is there any reason why? The only SBEP tool I have is the "lift" tool and that's it. I have the Model Pack and the Enhancement Pack installed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #849
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    I don't have half of the tools in my game, is there any reason why? The only SBEP tool I have is the "lift" tool and that's it. I have the Model Pack and the Enhancement Pack installed.
    Assuming you're using the SVN version, most of the tools should be in the "SBEP Experimental" folder, so if you don't have that in your addons folder that might be why.

10. Post #850

April 2012
    10 Posts
    Assuming you're using the SVN version, most of the tools should be in the "SBEP Experimental" folder, so if you don't have that in your addons folder that might be why.
    My folder hierarchy is:
    \garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\Spacebuild Enhacement Pack\SBEP_Experimental

Should the SBEP_Experimental folder be outside of the top level SBEP folder?

EDIT*
    I put the SBEP_Experimental folder into the addons directory instead of inside the SVN folder, now my game just freezes with the black "Loading..." box in the bottom right.

EDIT 2*
    I undid that and now my gmod just always does that, everything's fucked

11. Post #851
    February 2009
    103 Posts
    My folder hierarchy is:
    \garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\Spacebuild Enhacement Pack\SBEP_Experimental

Should the SBEP_Experimental folder be outside of the top level SBEP folder?

EDIT*
    I put the SBEP_Experimental folder into the addons directory instead of inside the SVN folder, now my game just freezes with the black "Loading..." box in the bottom right.

EDIT 2*
    I undid that and now my gmod just always does that, everything's fucked
    Everything inside of the main svn folder should be in the addons folder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #852
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    656 Posts
    There's a new "Proto Rover" on the experimental SVN, could someone confirm whether it works for everyone else? :P

13. Post #853
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,821 Posts
    Hey guys, having a slight problem -
    I'm using a server with Elpis Host (linux server, btw) and my friend and I installed SBEP correctly, but most of the props do not spawn. In-server, I have the spawn lists, but they won't spawn or do anything.
    Any ideas? This has baffled both of us as we're not exactly used to linux, but we've solved the only problem we can think might be affecting it (lowercase problem-every file and folder is now lowercase)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

14. Post #854
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    You sure it completely froze?

Putting an SVN'd folder directly into addons really cranks up the loading time due to the thousands of files in hidden subfolders. For me, the usual load (this pack plus a few others) gives a good five minutes from starting Gmod to fully loading a map (that is, while I was still running WinXP and had actual system performance instead of the Win7 lagfest I'm having right now).

And an addition to your post: from what you wrote, I presume you put the old SBMP pack in there as well. Use ONLY the SVN or there could be problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

15. Post #855

August 2011
    22 Posts
    also in the new SVN, can someone please check the file in
    SBEP_Experimental/lua/entities/MannedTurret/init.lua
    on the SVN. It has a ` at the beginning of the file which makes the entity in the Q menu not work. Thus far I've always had to MANUALLY fix this. If someone could fix it in the SVN itself, it would make life a LOT easier!

16. Post #856
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    also in the new SVN, can someone please check the file in
    SBEP_Experimental/lua/entities/MannedTurret/init.lua
    on the SVN. It has a ` at the beginning of the file which makes the entity in the Q menu not work. Thus far I've always had to MANUALLY fix this. If someone could fix it in the SVN itself, it would make life a LOT easier!
    That may have been intentional if it was determined that it was causing some game-breaking error... Just sayin.

17. Post #857
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Quick question for the devs. (everyone else can ignore this).

How much experience do you have with git? and which do you prefer? (Git or SVN)?
    Trying to figure out if we should switch to git or not... (if the majority says yes we will, otherwise svn will remain).

For the users: the release svn(s) you are using will stay the same and get updated with all the changes. So for you guys nothing would change...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

18. Post #858
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Quick question for the devs. (everyone else can ignore this).

How much experience do you have with git? and which do you prefer? (Git or SVN)?
    Trying to figure out if we should switch to git or not... (if the majority says yes we will, otherwise svn will remain).

For the users: the release svn(s) you are using will stay the same and get updated with all the changes. So for you guys nothing would change...
    Why can't the users get git as well? It's a much nicer set-up with a lot less overhead. A bit trickier to set-up, but there are plenty of guides for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #859
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Why can't the users get git as well? It's a much nicer set-up with a lot less overhead. A bit trickier to set-up, but there are plenty of guides for that.
    They can offcourse if they wanted to :)

Was just saying they don't have to be worried about the svn getting removed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #860
    August 2010
    103 Posts
    I haven't even heard of Git before now.

Other news, I've downloaded that SBMP from further up the page, and found the spacedock parts within. I can move them over to the Models svn later, but first I think I'll convert the parts from the NewBridge section to be SmB skin compatable. Maybe even try making them work with the part assembler.

21. Post #861
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    There are only like 5 NewBridge pieces, and as I recall, they were supplanted by the Cohesion Smallbridge set that's not finished.

22. Post #862
    November 2009
    76 Posts
    I had quite a long play with (or experiment, if you prefer) the new SmB parts from Mandrac and Errject yesterday - I'm very impressed. I had a few derp moments trying to fit the cockpit addon into each of the cockpit pieces in turn til I read the model name and... well less said about that the better. One question though, and this applies to both the cockpit addon and the room divider - would it be possible to somehow integrate those two parts with the part assembler stool? Unless I'm doing something very wrong, the cockpit addon wouldn't actually fit inside the collision box of the matching cockpit piece. I created an elaborate workaround using several SmB parts to fit the room divider perfectly into the corresponding SmB dw hull, but it'd be more in-line with the general theme to have them using the same tools.

I'd be happy to do it myself and contribute it but I can't get my head round the - sparse - documentation for adding parts to the tool.

23. Post #863

August 2011
    22 Posts
    I agree. MandracFR's SmallBridge Single-Height Single-Width Cockpit Console and his SmallBridge Single-Height-Double-Width room dividers need to be either made installable via the SBEP Part Assembler, which I suspect is a lot LESS simple than one might like to assume, OR we need to add pre-assembled parts that have it already added (perhaps also scripting the doors on the double-width room divider?) Also was wondering if/when the Cohesion (or was it Experimental?) SmallBridge parts with the awesome looking pipes and such will be added to the SBEP Part Assembler, and whether they could be made into CAF/LS3 Resource Modules since my main complaint about the otherwise awesome looking design is it leaves a lot LESS space available for setting up life support machines. Also, SmallBridge wings need ONE more addition: VERTICAL TAILFINS, PLEASE! As an aviation nerd, I cringe EVERY time I see an airplane without a rudder, with the obvious exception of flying wing designs.

24. Post #864
    August 2010
    103 Posts
    Well, the special interior stuff could just have a custom assembler point added for them and similar hull sections. As for the Cohesion parts, I could later try adding them to the assembler. Most of them I should be able to copy+paste the points from the existing SmB parts.

As for tailfins, couldn't you just use a wing from the integrated PHX stuff? Would think that'd work.

25. Post #865

August 2011
    22 Posts
    Well, adding a custom assembler point would be one way it could be done, but for the cockpit addon, at least, it would make more sense to simply add a pre-assembled part that already has it installed in the cockpit piece it's designed to fit. I'll admit that a custom assembler point makes sense for the room divider, BUT! it'd still (as far as I can see) be more complicated than simply designing a prefab unit. And like I said, for the room divider, it might be wise to make that prefab module using the "Door" SBEP tool so that one could wire controls for the "left" and "right" room doors independently of each other. I might be completely wrong about this, but I think it'd be particularly useful to be able to "open" and "lock" the two rooms' doors independently of each other.

26. Post #866
    November 2009
    76 Posts
    I agree with Stevie - the model was clearly designed with doors in mind, and there's a door model too. Would be cool if this was done

27. Post #867
    August 2010
    103 Posts
    I have now uploaded my modifications to the part assembler and spawner, adding those interior pieces to both. There is also now an "Insert" attachment point for use inserting those pieces.

As for the doors being turned into Doors, either Mandrac'll have to learn how to do animation, or he will have to send over to me the frame and door models and I could do it.

28. Post #868
    November 2009
    76 Posts
    That's good news. I had a spirited go at wiring the doors up for hydraulic sliding usage yesterday - the detailing on the panels makes it pretty hard to create sliders that actually open. Managed swing doors but they looked lame and had to be no-collided with everything as the door model is slightly too large to comfortably fit in the gap. I look forward to the weekly update!

29. Post #869

August 2011
    22 Posts
    How do we get changes that are uploaded in between the weekly updates?

ah, 'guess I'll wait, then.

30. Post #870
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    How do we get changes that are uploaded in between the weekly updates?
    By either having access to the dev svn or asking for a manual update (I can manually trigger the action that syncs the svn's).

31. Post #871
    March 2008
    304 Posts
    SB2DevTeam, GitHub does have a SVN checkout option. I suggest we move to Git to allow more developers to submit bug fixes and it allows easier branching. For people that are stuck on SVN, then can still do a SVN checkout.

Attention SBEP Modelers!!!
    Gmod13 has changed the way file paths work. Any model with a comma in the path fails. Meaning parts like "models\SmallBridge\Elevators,Small\sbselevb.m dl" fail. These paths must be changed. Is there anyone who can recompile the models with fixed paths?

I have been trying to get SBEP ready for gmod13 but without the model fixes most models will not work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #872
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    But can they still commit to it then?

That's the issue...

33. Post #873
    March 2008
    304 Posts
    Commits should be done through Git because of its additional features. But i may have read you can still do checkouts? (need to research that more) However, for those that don't want to install Git just to checkout (including servers with built in svn), you can still do a SVN checkout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #874
    November 2009
    76 Posts
    What's with the current vogue for Git? SVN and Git have both been around for ages, now in the same week both SBEP and Wire decide to switch. I'm seriously not sold on the benefits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #875
    March 2008
    304 Posts
    Since SBEP devs keep coming and going it will allow other people to submit bug fixes and improvements much easier. Other devs can branch, work on bug fixes, improvements, big changes, then be able to merge into the main branch.

I personally think addons such as this really should go this route so if a main developer takes a break other people can still work on bugs/improvements and keep SBEP going.

36. Post #876
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    What's with the current vogue for Git? SVN and Git have both been around for ages, now in the same week both SBEP and Wire decide to switch. I'm seriously not sold on the benefits.
    Git is basically a lot better than SVN, since it's more flexible and a lot better at handling conflicts. Not only that, but it's got a lot less overhead than SVN, which makes it better for people with less bandwidth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #877
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Git is basically a lot better than SVN, since it's more flexible and a lot better at handling conflicts. Not only that, but it's got a lot less overhead than SVN, which makes it better for people with less bandwidth.
    Bandwidth has nothing to do with the "overhead", in fact, the "overhead" in SVN actually reduces bandwidth. It doesn't have to download stuff to detect changes.

Also, how exactly is SVN bad at handling conflicts? I can't imagine any better way than how it does it. You must be using a bad client or something.

38. Post #878
    March 2008
    304 Posts
    CmdrMatthew if your going to rate me dumb for everything and talk shit about Git without even trying it just get out.

39. Post #879
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Bandwidth has nothing to do with the "overhead", in fact, the "overhead" in SVN actually reduces bandwidth. It doesn't have to download stuff to detect changes.

Also, how exactly is SVN bad at handling conflicts? I can't imagine any better way than how it does it. You must be using a bad client or something.
    Bandwidth has everything to do with it. The extra files you need to download are smaller for git than for SVN, and after that they work the same, except that git is better at merging files since it detects and prevents conflicts in a way that SVN does not. I suggest that you read up on git.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #880
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Could you guys keep the git vs svn talk out of this thread? Go to http://facepunch.com/threads/1180774 if you really want to have discussions like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)