1. Post #681
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Addon: Spacebuild got enabled
    Couldn't dispatch user message (19)
    CAF: Client has Internet. Enabled Online-Help
    Redownloading all lightmaps
    Server cvar 'sv_tags' changed to CAF,LSC,LSE,RD,SB,gravhull,uwsvnexported315
    Addon: Life Support Entities got enabled
    INIParser:new - File stargate/gatespawner_maps/sb_omen_v2.ini does not exist!
    Addon: Spacebuild Enhancement Pack got enabled
    Addon: Life Support got enabled
    Addon: PetrolSystem Entities got enabled
    Addon: Resource Distribution got enabled
    HonorGuard Ra was killed by worldspawn
    Warning: killicon not found 'worldspawn'

Does that help? *crosses fingers*
    Don't see anything unusual in there.
    But I'm going to test it when I get home tonight with that map. sb_omen_v2 right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events

2. Post #682

September 2010
    54 Posts
    The net graph doesn't mean much. All the netgraph does is tell you the amount of data being networked, its not a very good indicator of overall performance.
    Ok I can't argue with that, I hardly know how to read half of the graph, but still, a high graph mostly comes with less performance, or atleast more lag.
    It was just an idea. Though it would be awesome if Garry would come up with his own SMW for GM13 :O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events

3. Post #683
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    new engine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #684
    August 2009
    81 Posts
    new engine
    Oooooh.... Neat! I already want to be building with that. ☺
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #685
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    Oooooh.... Neat! I already want to be building with that. ☺
    soon ^^
    i'll upload it right after this message

edit: uploaded
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #686
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Whats up with some of the modbridge doors not duping?
    Does anyone know what the issue is? I am looking into it right now, but idk if I will find anything.

7. Post #687
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    I remember people looking into it, but no one ever found out why. It totally baffled Cerus.

8. Post #688
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    doors are suposed to be in 2 models
    you can find the smallbridge doors in sbep_entities
    but i never found the cerus doors
    never
    i dont even understand how it s possible to spawn a model that doesnt exist
    so duping it....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

9. Post #689
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Maybe it's a mesh? Or something?

10. Post #690
    August 2008
    31 Posts
    Would anyone care to point me in the right direction to begin modeling? I've never really done it before, but I'd like to see if I could develop a couple of things, namely new cockpits and pieces where I find myself saying "I could really use one of ______ right now.." The last time I asked for pointers here, nobody did anything.

11. Post #691
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Would anyone care to point me in the right direction to begin modeling? I've never really done it before, but I'd like to see if I could develop a couple of things, namely new cockpits and pieces where I find myself saying "I could really use one of ______ right now.." The last time I asked for pointers here, nobody did anything.
    Download Blender. Its a free opensource 3D modeling program that's pretty amazing. It has some nice plugins to covert the model into the format needed to compile it to a .mdl http://www.blender.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #692
    August 2008
    31 Posts
    Excellent. I have it now, but where should I look for the plugin I need? I couldn't find one relating to what you were talking about, and from what I understand it needs to open a .blend file. It doesn't come with this plugin does it?

13. Post #693

September 2010
    54 Posts
    Download Blender. Its a free opensource 3D modeling program that's pretty amazing. It has some nice plugins to covert the model into the format needed to compile it to a .mdl http://www.blender.org/
    What I'd be wondering about would be texturing GMod models with blender, or do you texturize them with something else?
    I only used blender for making SL sculpties yet : /

14. Post #694
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    What I'd be wondering about would be texturing GMod models with blender, or do you texturize them with something else?
    I only used blender for making SL sculpties yet : /
    You can texture them with Blender, you just have to make the texture elsewhere in an image editing program.

Edited:

Excellent. I have it now, but where should I look for the plugin I need? I couldn't find one relating to what you were talking about, and from what I understand it needs to open a .blend file. It doesn't come with this plugin does it?
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...lender#Plugins You can find the link here and how to install it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #695

September 2010
    54 Posts
    You can texture them with Blender, you just have to make the texture elsewhere in an image editing program.
    Derp, I just remembered I had to play with a UV mapping tool part in blender for the sculpties too, well there's my answer XD
    maybe I'll try it one day too ^^ though by then I probably had to re-learn blender : /
    It's very powerful for a freeware and opensource tool but the interface is really not easy to get into...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #696
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Derp, I just remembered I had to play with a UV mapping tool part in blender for the sculpties too, well there's my answer XD
    maybe I'll try it one day too ^^ though by then I probably had to re-learn blender : /
    It's very powerful for a freeware and opensource tool but the interface is really not easy to get into...
    It has a new interface now, its far easier to use.

17. Post #697

September 2010
    54 Posts
    It has a new interface now, its far easier to use.
    from trying it for a few minutes now I wouldn't say that, most of what I remember doesn't work anymore and it doesn't seem to be easier to figure out than the first time...

18. Post #698
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    wow blender is waaaaay more complicated than most of 3d programes
    everybody say "yeah begin with blender"
    when i started modeling i listened this advice and the only one result was:

then i tried milkshape 3d because it was the only one 3d software that was supporting a special type of 3d file
    and then i tried 3ds max and i still use 3ds max now
    it s easy to learn but you are still able to make fancy stuff with it
    the main problem is that blender is free and 3ds max cost around 2000$
    but everybody know what we do to get ultra expensive soft... if you see what i mean ;D

anyway there is also khed... it's a small free soft designed for source and you don't need any plugin or stuff like that to start making model for source
    it's a really simple program so don't expect to make a character with it but for beginner i think it's a good soft

anyway
    NEW ENGINE :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #699

September 2010
    54 Posts
    wow blender is waaaaay more complicated than most of 3d programes
    everybody say "yeah begin with blender"
    when i started modeling i listened this advice and the only one result was:
    well, I said powerful, but easy to use and intuitive, at best for the ones that made it :P
    but I guess the "start with blender" has a point, if you manage to get even partially somewhere in blender you can probably use any 3d software, somewhere along that.

And the new engine looks interesting, I guess it's a DW DH one? If then could you make a small SW SH one too?

20. Post #700
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    well, I said powerful, but easy to use and intuitive, at best for the ones that made it :P
    but I guess the "start with blender" has a point, if you manage to get even partially somewhere in blender you can probably use any 3d software, somewhere along that.

And the new engine looks interesting, I guess it's a DW DH one? If then could you make a small SW SH one too?
    yeah but 3d is enough hard like that
    the first thing i teach to people that want to make 3d for source is to make a cube then texture it (including creating the texture) then compile it and make it usable in gmod
    then i teach them how to use some basic tools and function like selecting vertex/face/edge or chamfer and extrude stuff or some modifiers like symmetry or uvw map and other little think like snaping, pivot point center, and how to use wireframe view
    and then they have everything to start making stuff
    the first engine i made can be easily made by anyone that know what i just said

so why would you start with blender lol it's for advanced modeling
    it's like buying an alienware to run wordpad...

anyway.. wich engine are you talking about? the first one? hum yeah i'll see if it would look nice on small part

21. Post #701
    August 2010
    103 Posts

Actually, that quad engine he posted is a SWSH (or 1w1h as I like to classify them). But it should be easy enough to upscale it to 2w2h.

Speaking of which, both engines are very nice looking. Reminds me that I should get around to trying to model up that Wave Motion Tuning Fork cannon so it can get coded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

22. Post #702

September 2010
    54 Posts
    it's like buying an alienware to run wordpad...

anyway.. wich engine are you talking about? the first one? hum yeah i'll see if it would look nice on small part
    alienware: I guess, but when you're done writing and get to gaming you're all set (i.e. you got the hang of blender, but enough of that now)

engine: yeah I meant the quad one, the 2w1h from before looked interesting too but a bit long for my uses, but I guess I'd still like a 1w1h version of that too :3
    can't hurt to have them as options for my ships ^^

edit: took some hours and was some fun and some hell but I guess it's somewhat close

couldn't really get the beveled edges of the front part done, some bright mind thought it'd be good to remove the bevel edge tool for 2.5 and it doesn't seem to be back in 2.62 and the replacement seems to be, lacking, at best. But it's still better than having to do it from hand.

23. Post #703
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    alienware: I guess, but when you're done writing and get to gaming you're all set (i.e. you got the hang of blender, but enough of that now)

engine: yeah I meant the quad one, the 2w1h from before looked interesting too but a bit long for my uses, but I guess I'd still like a 1w1h version of that too :3
    can't hurt to have them as options for my ships ^^

edit: took some hours and was some fun and some hell but I guess it's somewhat close

couldn't really get the beveled edges of the front part done, some bright mind thought it'd be good to remove the bevel edge tool for 2.5 and it doesn't seem to be back in 2.62 and the replacement seems to be, lacking, at best. But it's still better than having to do it from hand.
    some hours on blender?
    it took me 10 minute on 3ds and i was makin screen of each action at the same time

i repeat blender is really dificult to handle
    3dsmax is way easyer to use and you still able to make nice thing
    i made a character on 3dsmax one time... it took me a month but i did it and next time i need a character i will not use blender i will try zbrush so...

24. Post #704
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    done:

and allways with a superior quality colision model

25. Post #705
    August 2008
    31 Posts
    Actually Mandrac, I do have 3ds Max 2012. Because of the relation of engineering to aviation, the program was available from my flight school.
    Speaking of which, sidenote: I'm a pilot learning to fly for the Navy as a midshipman. So I have a lot of exposure to heavy ships/aircraft and plenty of people here who are knowledgeable about that field. If I can provide any of you anything that can help you with additions to this pack, let me know. I'll help any way I can.

Regardless, should I start with 3ds Max? I've still yet to actually figure out a simple model. What I would like to do, not sure if it's possible, is begin with a template of a given spacebuild model, and then produce a variation of it, such as the engines that are coming out, or new cockpits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

26. Post #706
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    Actually Mandrac, I do have 3ds Max 2012. Because of the relation of engineering to aviation, the program was available from my flight school.
    Speaking of which, sidenote: I'm a pilot learning to fly for the Navy as a midshipman. So I have a lot of exposure to heavy ships/aircraft and plenty of people here who are knowledgeable about that field. If I can provide any of you anything that can help you with additions to this pack, let me know. I'll help any way I can.

Regardless, should I start with 3ds Max? I've still yet to actually figure out a simple model. What I would like to do, not sure if it's possible, is begin with a template of a given spacebuild model, and then produce a variation of it, such as the engines that are coming out, or new cockpits.
    cockpits and engine are probably the hardest part of making stuff for the sbep for some reason
    you must start from scratch and make something nice but you still need to fitt with other parts size and design
    and you need a good colision model... thats probably the hardest part or at least the most anoying part of modeling for sbep
    try something easyer to begin with 3d
    for example i started 3d by porting models of freelancer so just importation texturing and compilation and sometime fixing some models
    then eve online where i learnt advanced texturing like bumpmaping alpha chanel and stuff and then i started making my owne models

using eveonline icons as inspiration

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #707
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    I keep saying I've said once that what we need is an even smaller type of "bridge", if we're calling it that, to complement modbridge or smallbridge. I feel that even those designs are too large.
    For the current bridges, we need more bridges.

Mandrac, I'm loving your work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #708
    June 2011
    529 Posts
    For some reason, the elevator design tool won't work for me. It's quite buggy and won't let me finish unless I have approximately four pieces already placed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

29. Post #709
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,790 Posts
    For some reason, the elevator design tool won't work for me. It's quite buggy and won't let me finish unless I have approximately four pieces already placed.
    So it hasn't been fixed yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

30. Post #710
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    575 Posts
    done:

and allways with a superior quality colision model
    These are great. I just wish we had an engine animation texture that moved radialy instead of linearly... the "wave" look just seems a little out of place imo. =/

31. Post #711
    June 2011
    529 Posts
    Fixed my previous problem. No worries.

Great package here. I'm currently trying to build up a personnel carrier based upon Pratchett's "Great A'tuin" figure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #712
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    We need better height transfers for modbridge. There are only ramps and it really limits your designs.

Edited:

Yay, my post count is 2 to the tenth power :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #713
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    Don't see anything unusual in there.
    But I'm going to test it when I get home tonight with that map. sb_omen_v2 right?
    It happens on all of my spacebuild maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

34. Post #714

September 2010
    54 Posts
    We need better height transfers for modbridge. There are only ramps and it really limits your designs.

Edited:

Yay, my post count is 2 to the tenth power :)
    What would you suggest? The only thing more compact would be the elevators, but these won't play well with parenting (nor have I ever got the working yet, but I'm also building too small to need them anyways)
    mhm, maybe touch teleporters, you push a button on the wall and get teleported a level up via lua setpos f.e.
    Small and no additional parts needed.

35. Post #715
    February 2008
    151 Posts
    What would you suggest? The only thing more compact would be the elevators, but these won't play well with parenting (nor have I ever got the working yet, but I'm also building too small to need them anyways)
    mhm, maybe touch teleporters, you push a button on the wall and get teleported a level up via lua setpos f.e.
    Small and no additional parts needed.
    there already is elevator for modbridge

36. Post #716
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,790 Posts
    Is this/is anyone working on making this compatible with gmod 13. I don't have a key, but I'm just wondering.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

37. Post #717
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Is this/is anyone working on making this compatible with gmod 13. I don't have a key, but I'm just wondering.
    Been making changes to keep it working with the beta.
    But since the old addon system is still disabled, and this addon is to big for the workshop I haven't been able to test all the changes yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events

38. Post #718
    February 2008
    151 Posts

you never saw me ok?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #719

September 2010
    54 Posts
    Been making changes to keep it working with the beta.
    But since the old addon system is still disabled, and this addon is to big for the workshop I haven't been able to test all the changes yet.
    WAT? I thought we get the choice to use the workshop instead, not being forced to.

edit: now we'd just need a farming mod that can work with these domes mandrac :D they look really good, if I'll ever make a space station I'll use them

40. Post #720
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    WAT? I thought we get the choice to use the workshop instead, not being forced to.

edit: now we'd just need a farming mod that can work with these domes mandrac :D they look really good, if I'll ever make a space station I'll use them
    The workshop is supposed to be optional yea, but to test the workshop and stuff garry disabled the old addon system (for the last couple of releases) and still waiting for him to enable it again...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)