1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    Headcrabs (as far as I know) just hitch a ride and turn you into a screwed up zombie thing. Brain bugs learn whatever is in the brains they suck out of your head. Say there's a defense complex with electric fences, with tasty humans inside. If a headcrab took over a guard, it would just throw itself at the fence and get zapped to death. If a Brain bug managed to have a guard captured and sucked out his brain, then the bug would know where the generators were. After that, it's a relatively simple matter of having either multiple flying units or a digger infiltrate the base and destroy the generators. All that's left is a fence that can be destroyed, then the base is over-run and the humans are bug chow.
    Ah, now I understand. Freakin' smart.

Saw the movie once but it was a long time ago so I couldn't remember the brain bug was the big fella in the nest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Hungary Show Events

2. Post #42
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    Ah, now I understand. Freakin' smart.

Saw the movie once but it was a long time ago so I couldn't remember the brain bug was the big fella in the nest.
    Yeah, Brain bugs kinda freak me out. A bug that knows how many rounds are in a standard magazine and can teach other bugs to attack me while I reload.. >< Here's a really smart/stupid idea- If a marine was drenched in OFF! bug repellant, would the Archies be more or less inclined to attack that soldier?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Either that, or Infestors would automatically know where you were at all times after that point; they would move towards you after that; perhaps able to move through props you make or something, in lieu of having to know passcodes, since I can't figure out how that could work without loads of redundant or useless code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    Yeah, Brain bugs kinda freak me out. A bug that knows how many rounds are in a standard magazine and can teach other bugs to attack me while I reload...
    What would be even worse? A bug that mines your head for why you think you're physically/physiologically superior, evaluates those claims and if they're real advantages, the next generation of bugs will incorporate those into themselves (yes, I'm thinking Tyranids here). Or more mundanely, if you keep using the same gun with good efficiency, it would figure out how to use firearms and give the knowledge over to the next generation.

As for the OFF! part: no idea. Maybe they have a weakness but I don't think terrestrial bug repellents would work against aliens.

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Wait, so maybe infestors + brainbug = Borg(ish)? That would be epic; kill one with a pistol, and then they're all immune to the pistol after a period of time; get brainbugged, and they become immune right away. Eventually, they could become immune to fire...and then nukes...and then their ultimate offensive attack would be to cause massive lag until Gmod exploded.

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    Or make them go Cylon-ish: kill one and the others will instantly know where you are and what weapon you pack. Good luck fending off all the infestors doing their best zerg impression.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    So, Infestors + Borg + Cylons + Zerg = Inbocyze? Actually, that sounds like some technical name for them...Inbocyze Rsrgnsrg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    So, Infestors + Borg + Cylons + Zerg = Inbocyze? Actually, that sounds like some technical name for them...Inbocyze Rsrgnsrg.
    Inbocyze? Sounds like some miracle drug.. Too many people on the planet you like? Spread Inbocyze across the surface and wait 3-6 weeks. Return to find your would-be neighbors dead and gone. Side effects include a fuckton of squeaking spore things that shoot acid when you piss 'em off.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    So it's a drug that turns people into infestors now?
    I like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    So it's a drug that turns people into infestors now?
    I like.
    It's possible I suppose. There are "pills" to turn you into antlions, turrets, scanners, and rollermines to say the least. Not sure how you'd "play" as an infestor though, and I'm not sure how difficult to code it would be.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,348 Posts
    Infestors + headcrabs = ??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Holy crap, I'm a gold member, what? Maybe if the Silly Story thread was still around..

Anyway, Infestors + headcrabs...maybe the brainbug-infestors should do that. Except they leap at your head and stab it.

13. Post #53
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    Holy crap, I'm a gold member, what? Maybe if the Silly Story thread was still around..

Anyway, Infestors + headcrabs...maybe the brainbug-infestors should do that. Except they leap at your head and stab it.
    That would work. Never understood why headcrabs just leap at you but you don't get to see yourself turn into a zombie before you respawn. Hell, your old body should stay as an npc zombie so you can kill it for lolz. "Damn stupid body! Why didn't I move faster?!?" *crowbar*

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,348 Posts
    The infestor part meaning the body would multiply and eventually take over the map?

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    The player body, or the infestors?

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,348 Posts
    I imagine the infestors with bodies being the "leaders" and the infestors without bodies to be the "drones".

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Hm; brainbugs would be the leader-types, so I expect that those who've been "infested" would be leaders. I wouldn't say that normal infestors were drones; it sounds too much like bugs, which has been done a million times. I'd say they just follow/protect the infested.

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,348 Posts
    The normal infestors main priority should be protect the leaders and make more of them. Replicate, in some way.

19. Post #59
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    The normal infestors main priority should be protect the leaders and make more of them. Replicate, in some way.
    I wonder if there's some way to do something like a tentacle that can grab and drag you like the barnacle can. I'm starting to see the infestor spitters as similar to a zerg spore colony- The zerg anti-air turret thing. Maybe a harvestor colony could be like a sunken colony... er, wait. We're not trying to make the zerg in gmod are we? Damn you Blizzard. Anyway, we need something mobile to collect and harvest biomass. Must. Not. TYRANID!!1 Dammit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #60

February 2009
    9 Posts
    Hi, I haven't used this mod in well over 9 months or so, but recently I've been playing Garry's Mod again and downloaded this as it is one of my favorite mods.

Everything is working perfectly, except for one thing. I can't seem to spawn a Manned Turret entity. It's there in the spawnlist, but when I click on it, nothing happens at all. No turret shows up, and I don't get and lua errors or anything. I'm pretty sure I have every SBEP svn installed properly.

I'm using Pew Pew instead of Gcombat '08. Do you think that could be the problem? If not, anything other help would be appreciated.

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    To the best of my knowlege, turrets are just one of many buggy things; using PewPew shouldn't affect that, as I've used PewPew ever since it first came out., and haven't had any problems like that.

22. Post #62
    July 2007
    602 Posts
    Hi, I haven't used this mod in well over 9 months or so, but recently I've been playing Garry's Mod again and downloaded this as it is one of my favorite mods.

Everything is working perfectly, except for one thing. I can't seem to spawn a Manned Turret entity. It's there in the spawnlist, but when I click on it, nothing happens at all. No turret shows up, and I don't get and lua errors or anything. I'm pretty sure I have every SBEP svn installed properly.

I'm using Pew Pew instead of Gcombat '08. Do you think that could be the problem? If not, anything other help would be appreciated.
    Numerous things are partially or fully broken and need fixing or rewriting, but we don't have many active developers right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #63
    August 2010
    1,173 Posts
    Numerous things are partially or fully broken and need fixing or rewriting, but we don't have many active developers right now.
    Whats broken exactly so I know what to fix? I might be able to help out.

24. Post #64
    August 2009
    81 Posts
    In the beginning of the manned turret file, they is either a comma or slash, forgot which, that corrupts the script. Remove it and your manned turret will spawn.

It's very obvious-first line, only thing on the whole line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    After bugging my brothers-in-law nonstop with the line "You Must Construct Additional Pylons" and "You Require More Vespene Gas" while they were playing StarCraft II a few weeks ago, it makes we wonder why the SBEP weapons don't use any energy or materials; I know thoughts on how to build things with resources have been underway for a long time, but perhaps a new update could include making various weapons require energy and/or random combinations of other stuff to fire?

Maybe the Macs could use a ridiculous amount of energy, like in the millions of millions range? (considering how easy it is to just spam Large Wind Generators to get a billion energy in 4 seconds...)

26. Post #66
    August 2010
    103 Posts
    And to further stretch the resource that is coders in this group, what about that custom missile project?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    566 Posts
    Maybe the Macs could use a ridiculous amount of energy, like in the millions of millions range? (considering how easy it is to just spam Large Wind Generators to get a billion energy in 4 seconds...)
    I would agree with this, if the MACs actually did a corresponding amount of damage. They are SOOO under powered last I checked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    I would agree with this, if the MACs actually did a corresponding amount of damage. They are SOOO under powered last I checked.
    Agreed. Were we to stick to halo-verse weapon power levels, then a mac could easily tear most ships in half with a single shot. Even if you had stupidly overpowered shields, a single round would overpower the shields and more than likely near-fry the generators/power source keeping your shields/ls running. You'd be dead in the water and a second mac round would finish you. No "three strikes you're out" here.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    I suppose SBEP could have a mode where it ties in with SpaceAge; the more metals you mine, the more you can use for ship pieces. Each ship piece could have a correspondingly higher cost the larger it is. Mining equipment (the cost to build, not to upgrade) and dinky vanilla props could be free, or really low.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,529 Posts
    I suppose SBEP could have a mode where it ties in with SpaceAge; the more metals you mine, the more you can use for ship pieces. Each ship piece could have a correspondingly higher cost the larger it is. Mining equipment (the cost to build, not to upgrade) and dinky vanilla props could be free, or really low.
    It's certainly an option to keep adding more entities and other lua scripting to SBEP, but at some point, the decision has to be made to either bring more gamemode-related content to SBEP or to halt its progress. As the addon lies now, it is not particularly effective in the entities department. Many of the items that are scripted are in a half-finished state. They're bugged, they somewhat/never work, and they're generally not a valuable addition to the addon. It's likely in part due to the lack of strong leadership on the team, but if SBEP continues down its current course, I don't see much future in the pack. Already, we see little progress in new additions. I've heard of several people wanting to re-boot the project, but again, it seems that the project needs a new leader before that can effectively happen. I respect Firgof, and everything he has done for the pack, but the fact is that he has, for all intensive purposes, moved on. This is, without a doubt, a great loss, but we need someone to step up to the plate if you guys want to go anywhere. Trying to make new additions is ultimately going to be a mistake without some sort of organization and teamwork, and we'll just end up in an even more negative situation. SpaceAge is a great server gamemode, but it's not something that this sort of public project should work for.

My 2 cents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #71
    July 2007
    602 Posts
    It's certainly an option to keep adding more entities and other lua scripting to SBEP, but at some point, the decision has to be made to either bring more gamemode-related content to SBEP or to halt its progress. As the addon lies now, it is not particularly effective in the entities department. Many of the items that are scripted are in a half-finished state. They're bugged, they somewhat/never work, and they're generally not a valuable addition to the addon. It's likely in part due to the lack of strong leadership on the team, but if SBEP continues down its current course, I don't see much future in the pack. Already, we see little progress in new additions. I've heard of several people wanting to re-boot the project, but again, it seems that the project needs a new leader before that can effectively happen. I respect Firgof, and everything he has done for the pack, but the fact is that he has, for all intensive purposes, moved on. This is, without a doubt, a great loss, but we need someone to step up to the plate if you guys want to go anywhere. Trying to make new additions is ultimately going to be a mistake without some sort of organization and teamwork, and we'll just end up in an even more negative situation. SpaceAge is a great server gamemode, but it's not something that this sort of public project should work for.

My 2 cents.
    QUIT FLAMING, DUDE

Joking. I completely agree; I'd love to be more proactive, and I may well be in a few weeks when the summer starts, but I doubt I'll ever be putting the time into it that I used to. For me, some of the content is extremely disconnected - while this is not necessarily a bad thing (it may give more versatility), it also gives the pack a jumbled feel; more of a collection of assorted smaller packs. We hit our original targets (mostly) an extremely long time ago, and then began to wander as developers explored all sorts of new tangents without any overall focus point.

I'm not saying this is anyone's fault; I'm just saying that's how we got to where we are. Personally, I see no future for the pack in its current state: it needs to have some models removed, and the rest improved in quality (both in geometry and texture); entities also need filtering and those deemed appropriate need fixing or rewriting; and it needs more support added for content control, both for the purpose of resource usage and for server admins. Possibly combined with a rebranding, as for many there are (often justified) negative connotations with the current name. In other words, rather than starting to steer the pack in some direction, a new pack should be formed with a clear focus, that may use some elements of SBEP, but none of them in their current state.

My two radical and optimistic pence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    I guess those two wordwalls make sense...it makes me sad, but I guess there's not much else that can be done. The question is, where do we find developers?

I suppose this is a problem that has haunted basically every pack that has ever been made for any game; people have their own lives. It all ends eventually. I'd love to be a developer, but I don't have the time now to learn modeling, etc; too busy with school. After I graduate (a million years from now), I'll have a job take up most of my time for the next 50 or so years. I might get in a bit here and there, but I don't think anyone except someone who is specifically getting paid for it is going to truly continue any project.

Maybe Garry should hire some people to work on addons; Notch said at one point that he was going to charge to distribute the Minecraft Mod API to keep good mods going. Maybe the opposite is needed; Garry could hire the most prominant developers on the forum to keep stuff going. I dunno.

EDIT: Maybe Garry and Notch could hire each other to create MineMod/Garry's Mine/etc to....yeah, we've all thought about this before.

33. Post #73
    February 2009
    103 Posts
    Well I finish for summer tomorrow and I've decided to sort through my models and either remove or remake them, Not like I'm a major contributor but I suppose its my duty. I'm sure I speak for the whole team when I say that helping the pack by contributing either ideas or content is appreciated and helpful, and the team are willing to help people learning by directing them to decent tutorials or explaining concepts... if they have time, I know I've badgered SLYFo a lot!

34. Post #74
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    *sigh* This addon really seems to be dying doesn't it? There are a few things that should definately be repaired/saved- the lift entity being one of them. Most of my old ships are so large because I needed stairway pieces for level transitions and such. I may have asked this before but do the 10x, 8x, and 4x rocket pods actually do prop damage? If they don't that's one thing that should be fixed when a coder has time/for the new addon (if/when it happens). Fighters don't have too much purpose if their weapons can't destroy ships/bases.

35. Post #75
    July 2007
    602 Posts
    *sigh* This addon really seems to be dying doesn't it? There are a few things that should definately be repaired/saved- the lift entity being one of them. Most of my old ships are so large because I needed stairway pieces for level transitions and such. I may have asked this before but do the 10x, 8x, and 4x rocket pods actually do prop damage? If they don't that's one thing that should be fixed when a coder has time/for the new addon (if/when it happens). Fighters don't have too much purpose if their weapons can't destroy ships/bases.
    I did actually start rewriting the lifts a few weeks ago, but it's not done yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

36. Post #76
    April 2008
    780 Posts
    I did actually start rewriting the lifts a few weeks ago, but it's not done yet.
    SWEET. Hopefully the modbridge stuff will make it in after a while. I'm trying to lean toward more compact ships, so the lift tool is a godsend. Probrably hasn't been said enough, but thank you for making it and thank you to whomever helped you with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #77

February 2009
    9 Posts
    In the beginning of the manned turret file, they is either a comma or slash, forgot which, that corrupts the script. Remove it and your manned turret will spawn.

It's very obvious-first line, only thing on the whole line.
    It was so obvious, I didn't notice it the first time I checked the script for errors lol.

Thanks man, that worked.

38. Post #78

May 2010
    35 Posts
    Hysteria, do you have any plans on finishing the holopanel? Or can you show how to use it with e2? I have been wanting to use it for quite a while now(since your first video on it). If you want to and have time for it.
    I love all the sbep things and it would be really cool if you "fixed" the holo panel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

39. Post #79
    August 2008
    1,209 Posts
    Suggestion if it hasn't been done already:
    Carter's Stargate addon pack has a very good type of tuuret: Attach a chair to it and it follows the cursor, and fires if you press mouse1.

That could be done, for easier weapon building/usage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

40. Post #80
    January 2010
    398 Posts
    Simple, use the manned turret.
    Or something similar can be made with some wiring.