1. Post #1001
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    HOLY CRAP TEH NARDIX HAS RETURNED AFTER SO LONG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1002
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    I'm enjoying my vacation now since I just, FUCKING FINALLY, graduated from high school.
    I hear you, buddy. Being three years ahead of you in that regard, I advise you to seriously consider employment instead of university. Sure, you'll finish the year earlier than in high school but until then, choose the wrong university and prepare to sweat blood for no actual purpose. I was kicked out of my first (thought the claimed dropout rate of 2/3 was bull...) and am currently in my second with mediocre results - and that's WITHOUT involving myself in stuff like making models for games.

I'm not telling you what you should do; you're the one who knows your own abilities. Just think about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

3. Post #1003
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    I have a lot better and more realistic idea for energy units than watts!
    W = J / s
    So watts could be used as energy transfer per second and joules as actual energy units!
    So if battery has 500 joules of power and one light bulb has 50 watt,
    the light bulb would use the battery power in 10 seconds, 25 watt light bulb would use
    battery power in 20 seconds.

So, could we get the ability to link entity to entity without resource nodes (maybe optional)
    and get realistic units. So we could do electronics basically.

That could be a little complex for some people, here's an example:

Simple mode:
    Energy storage has energy in joules,
    energy consumption (light bulbs for example) entities hate watts

Complex mode:
    Energy storage has energy in joules
    Amount of electric charge is Ampere
    Volt is electric potential and it could be calculated like this:
    V = (J / s) / A = W / A

Energy storage has a maximum of 500 joules of energy, a maximum of 2 amperes

Light bulb has 10 watt and 2 amperes, volts get automatically calculated and equal 5V
    The light bulb attached to the battery would drain 10 joules per second and
    would empty the battery in 50 seconds. if the storage has more amperes than the bulb, the bulb would burn out. if the storage has less amperes than the bulb, the bulb would work but not at the full potential.

For more about energy:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt
    That's not really how it works. An energy storage device has a potential of sorts, to deliver a certain charge for a certain amount of time. That's why you see batteries classified in mAh (milliAmpere hours) instead of in J. As the potential in a battery drops, so does the charge it's able to output.

So basically, as the energy level drops, the amperes drop.
    That's why in a cassette deck (if anybody remembers those - god I feel old), the frequency of the sound lowers when the battery nears the end of its charge. Basically, what happens is that the battery can't supply the optimum amount of power to the device, but the device needs much less power than the optimum to actually work.

This does not work with, say, CD players, because the "optimum" amount of power is the same as the minimum amount of power.

I hope I'm making sense. Also, Hi nardix! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1004
    April 2011
    2,056 Posts
    That's not really how it works. An energy storage device has a potential of sorts, to deliver a certain charge for a certain amount of time. That's why you see batteries classified in mAh (milliAmpere hours) instead of in J. As the potential in a battery drops, so does the charge it's able to output.

So basically, as the energy level drops, the amperes drop.
    That's why in a cassette deck (if anybody remembers those - god I feel old), the frequency of the sound lowers when the battery nears the end of its charge. Basically, what happens is that the battery can't supply the optimum amount of power to the device, but the device needs much less power than the optimum to actually work.

This does not work with, say, CD players, because the "optimum" amount of power is the same as the minimum amount of power.

I hope I'm making sense. Also, Hi nardix! :D
    Lol, yes i know. But it would be more complicated and harder to implement correctly. Using joules as energy units is more correct. Joules are units for energy in physics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1005
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    About fixing the door thing; I know it works for some people, but does it work in singleplayer?

Edited:

That'd be me. I laid down my modelling tools when school started to get serious. I'm enjoying my vacation now since I just, FUCKING FINALLY, graduated from high school. If anyone still wants the model, hit me up and I'll send it to you.

Also,

HI FP AND/OR SBEP!
    It's been a while!
    It's been so long since you last showed up that I don't even know what model we're talking about. Pics please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #1006
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    So, what devs/modelers are still working on this, apart from ErrJect and me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

7. Post #1007
    July 2010
    69 Posts
    So, what devs/modelers are still working on this, apart from ErrJect and me?
    I would love to be able to help with this mod, and I do have a little experience with other engines with modelling for them and texturing those. I can model (Atleast to the quality of the project (not super hi poly)), UV map, and texture (still trying to fully work out Model-UV Map) using a few different programs.
    There's always a but..
    Here it is.
    I don't know how/what to model in whatever the pack requires, and I'm just finishing off my last year of school. Final stretch. ~12 more weeks and im donee. Once I'm through all that, I'd love to come in to the team and help make a few new parts here and there (I think i'd be better suited to modelling/texturing rather than scripting). Any pointers or tutorials on modelling for source engine? Perhaps I can follow those in my spare time a bit over the coming weeks, and show it off here a bit (with a completely related theme)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

8. Post #1008
    February 2009
    103 Posts
    I'm still around, got some ideas for the project but until i make some prototypes there's not much point posting about them. Also been busy with other modeling projects and learning zbrush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #1009
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    Is anything new happening in the frontier mod? I'd check the threads myself, but my search feature doesn't work for some reason. :\

10. Post #1010
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,308 Posts
    About fixing the door thing; I know it works for some people, but does it work in singleplayer?

Edited:

It's been so long since you last showed up that I don't even know what model we're talking about. Pics please?

And Imma play my SBMP card in attack mode:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 3 (list)

11. Post #1011

July 2012
    1 Posts
    I've been using SBEP for a while now and recently got into the GMod 13 beta. I was wondering if SBEP works with this version or if it needs to be ported over, and if it does, are there any plans to? I'm sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I did try to find an answer without success.

12. Post #1012
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    I've been using SBEP for a while now and recently got into the GMod 13 beta. I was wondering if SBEP works with this version or if it needs to be ported over, and if it does, are there any plans to? I'm sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I did try to find an answer without success.
    I've been working on some "fixes" yea to keep it compatible with gmod 13. Still has to be tested properly though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events

13. Post #1013
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    O.O The Starship Troopers dropship? Is it compiled to where I could just dump it into my addons? If it is, I'd like to grab the file(s) from you.

14. Post #1014
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Is it ok for you guys if I create a new thread about SB/SBEP/... in the addons section of the forums instead of this modeling section?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events

15. Post #1015
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    Is it ok for you guys if I create a new thread about SB/SBEP/... in the addons section of the forums instead of this modeling section?
    I don't care as long as I get a link. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #1016
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Go ahead, we grew out of the modelling section months ago. You might want to check with Hysteria and/or Firgof first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

17. Post #1017
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    So I'm gone for like over a year and you guys are still on v9?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #1018

July 2012
    12 Posts
    having an issue with SBEP, some models spawn as ghosts, unable to interact with them at all, and the vehicles spawn in the ground ( seats ) , ( ships Don't spawn at all, with the gmod.org fighter files ).

The SBEP models for LS are doing the same thing. Ghosted non interacting, but link tool works on em... go figure.

19. Post #1019
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    So I'm gone for like over a year and you guys are still on v9?
    *shrugs* There isn't much going on. Most of the devs just kind of wandered off some time ago. We've had a couple of people pop up to try keeping the thread and addon alive.

20. Post #1020

April 2012
    24 Posts
    are there still getting updates to this mod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

21. Post #1021
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    are there still getting updates to this mod?
    Some yea, but not as much as there used to be...

22. Post #1022
    September 2007
    182 Posts
    Hey Snake, I'm really happy to see that you are making a push to bring Spacebuild back to its former glory!
    I think these guys are right, adding complexity without adding difficulty is a difficult but possible strategy; I would certainly love to see this achieved and will be keeping an eye on the project.
    As for suggestions, I'll pipe up if anything comes to mind as development (hopefully) continues.

However, what are your thoughts on making SB more modular? Having one packaged addon that users download then then can pick and choose scripts to include or not, for example mining could easily be optional, or the complex/simple systems?
    I understand it would be a bit of a bitch in some cases, but having some base system then building modular scripts off it could work, maybe having mining enabled would make it harder to get resources off a planet via variables in the base system.
    Just thought of this while I was reading though the ideas page, anyway...

I just hope the Gmod-tards don't ruin your ideas with their bitching, I'm sure you'll take the project in the right direction though Snake!

Also Hey Nardix, I haven't spoken to you in years :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1023
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Since I haven't had the time yet to make the new thread, I'll post a temp link here to a page I'm using myself atm to collect all the new links and which will probably be completed before I make the new thread on here.

http://snakesvx.dyndns.org:10090/con...build+Projects

24. Post #1024
    November 2005
    34 Posts
    I'm having a problem getting the models to spawn in a Linux dedicated server. I have renamed all the files to remove caps but if my clientside spawnlist files have caps in them, I can't spawn anything. If I modify the spawnlist files to remove caps I can spawn the models. But what about people who already have those files, join the server and can't spawn anything? They shouldn't have to go delete their spawnlist files just to join my server... Any help would be much appreciated.

25. Post #1025
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    Spawn lists are client-side IIRC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

26. Post #1026
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Not much that can be done about it I think appart from removing them.

Won't they get removed in GM13 anyways?

27. Post #1027
    November 2005
    34 Posts
    Spawn lists are client-side IIRC.
    Spawn lists are client side and server side (I think). The ones on the server are usually sent to the player, from addons/TheAddon/settings/spawnlists/IAmASpawnList.txt to garrysmod/settings/spawnlists/IAmASpawnList.txt, if the player doesn't already have them. If the player does have them, it seems to leave them alone. That's the problem. The spawn lists that already exist for most people that have the SBEP have capital letters in some of the model file names. Windows doesn't care so nothing is done about it, but Linux doesn't know that ModelA.bla is actually modela.bla. It thinks they're two different files. So when you have a spawn list with ModelA.bla and try to spawn it, the server says, "Hey wait a minute! There's no such file! Sorry bub!", even though it actually does exist.

Not much that can be done about it I think appart from removing them.

Won't they get removed in GM13 anyways?
    No idea. It would be nice.

28. Post #1028
    I love Lemon Punch

July 2010
    152 Posts
    Does SBEP need a coder? I would love to help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #1029

April 2012
    24 Posts
    are sbep going to be in gmod 13. and in that case, is it going on steam workshop or is it just gonna stay a svn download
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

30. Post #1030
    September 2008
    174 Posts
    I FREAKING LIVE! What'd I miss?

*edit* I can model if my modeling program stops being a whorebag...and I MAY (emphasis on may) be able to host a server. that being said, I hate texturing, and to be honest, SBEP could probably use a texture update, if it hasn't been done already. So basic models outta me, but if someone else is inclined, I can send em a .3ds file and they can texture it themselves. I've got some ideas, and I've been toying with the idea of "whateverbridge" resource systems for a long time. possibly even integrated into certain sections (IE Fusion gen as engine compartment) This would reduce the sheer number of props and constraints. Pretty much like using the model manipulator tool on em, from way back when. I did have an awesome dropship built from smallbridge parts that would be awesome as a single entity/prop. might have to look into that. I'll have to toy with SBEP to see what's new in the 2 years I've been away, and think up models from there. perhaps update the cryotubes :D

31. Post #1031
    January 2008
    36 Posts
    are there any links to where to get the required addons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

32. Post #1032
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Does SBEP need a coder? I would love to help.
    Do you know how to use github?

Edited:

are sbep going to be in gmod 13. and in that case, is it going on steam workshop or is it just gonna stay a svn download
    SBEP is getting updated to gmod 13 yes.
    In it's current form we can't add it to the workshop^since it's to big. But if we can find a properly working system for it, we might add it to the workshop in the future.

33. Post #1033
    I love Lemon Punch

July 2010
    152 Posts
    Yeah I can use Github...

34. Post #1034
    September 2008
    174 Posts
    Perhaps partition SBEP down to t's seperate classes and release them on Workshop? Be sure to append notes that one REQUIRES the other. Or even render it down into "bridge" classes.

*edit* here is what I pooped out this morning...borrows heavily from the Dawn of War Imperial Guard Plasma Generator.

35. Post #1035
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,308 Posts
    Looks nice.

I think I know someone who could do the textures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1036
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,072 Posts
    Is the GMod 13 github repo public? Tempted to fork it..

37. Post #1037
    January 2008
    36 Posts
    I actually thought of the Rama nukes with that model Twinblade
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

38. Post #1038
    I love Lemon Punch

July 2010
    152 Posts
    Could a modeller try to make conversion pieces for the different bridges? Ie: Medbridge to Smallbridge. Has this already been done and I've missed the model though? Also SBDev could I get Github access? If possible I can pm my github name to you.

39. Post #1039
    September 2007
    384 Posts
    Is the GMod 13 github repo public? Tempted to fork it..
    https://github.com/SnakeSVx/sbep

Edited:

Yeah I can use Github...
    Well, if you want I can add you to the project. As far as I know there is a lot of unfinished and (possibly) broken stuff in it...

40. Post #1040
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Could a modeller try to make conversion pieces for the different bridges? Ie: Medbridge to Smallbridge. Has this already been done and I've missed the model though? Also SBDev could I get Github access? If possible I can pm my github name to you.
    There are conversions between basically all types of bridges. Not sure about Medbridge to Modbridge, though.