1. Post #121
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    Maybe you would be like a piece of it but you are all mutated so you can fly. As you fly if you press Mouse 1 you drop little seeds which infest! Simple to code now.
    That actually sounds like a good idea, but how would spore dispersal work? Would you play as a noxious green gas cloud or something like a sinister dandelion poof? Dandelions are weeds, but how many little kids like to blow on the puffball to watch the seeds disperse? Which brings me back to the infestors... Not sure who's really in charge of that project, but I kinda think their attack behavior code needs to be tweeked a little. They don't attack if you leave them alone and keep your distance, which makes since, but has anyone ever tried to walk up to a beehive? You'll eventually get stung. Why is it we can walk through an infestor colony without getting attacked?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    Has anyone ever tried to walk up to a beehive? You'll eventually get stung. Why is it we can walk through an infestor colony without getting attacked?
    Depends on the bees. Normal bees leave you alone if you get out of there quickly while killer bees actively chase you away if you so much as glance in the hive's general direction. Maybe infestors should initially behave like the second one then change to the first one when the hive grows above a certain size? You know, because they have strength in numbers and therefore no need to worry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Hungary Show Events

3. Post #123
    January 2010
    398 Posts
    Perhaps as a visual indicator that the hive has reached the second stage the queen could 'grow' a sort of defence around it, making it harder to kill but still allowing it to spread spores.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #124
    I love Lemon Punch

July 2010
    152 Posts
    That actually sounds like a good idea, but how would spore dispersal work? Would you play as a noxious green gas cloud or something like a sinister dandelion poof? Dandelions are weeds, but how many little kids like to blow on the puffball to watch the seeds disperse? Which brings me back to the infestors... Not sure who's really in charge of that project, but I kinda think their attack behavior code needs to be tweeked a little. They don't attack if you leave them alone and keep your distance, which makes since, but has anyone ever tried to walk up to a beehive? You'll eventually get stung. Why is it we can walk through an infestor colony without getting attacked?
    I'm looking at the code now to see how it works. A lot of it seems commented out. But the author of it was paradukes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

5. Post #125
    April 2010
    138 Posts
    Ok Superllama Wins at gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    I'm looking at the code now to see how it works. A lot of it seems commented out. But the author of it was paradukes
    Commented out as in it's just sitting there? Code that does nothing? That's weird...

7. Post #127
    August 2010
    1,179 Posts
    It's unfinished code that doesn't work yet. I tried uncommenting it while I was fixing it, it needs to be finished before it can do any good.

Edited:

I think it was a new infestor type that didn't have a way made to create it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #128
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    It's unfinished code that doesn't work yet. I tried uncommenting it while I was fixing it, it needs to be finished before it can do any good.

Edited:

Interesting. Probrably not a good idea to fiddle with it though...

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Depends on the bees. Normal bees leave you alone if you get out of there quickly while killer bees actively chase you away if you so much as glance in the hive's general direction. Maybe infestors should initially behave like the second one then change to the first one when the hive grows above a certain size? You know, because they have strength in numbers and therefore no need to worry?
    Again, like the Borg, but more like the first one; they ignore you as long as you don't pose a thread. The moment you fire a gun near them, they attack.

So maybe the infestors would not be "sentient" enough to attack you from the beginning. After they reach a certain evolutionary point (basically, the point where they would have evolved defences), then they might start attacking if you look in their direction. Man, that would be a pain in the butt to build around them (or even on the same map)...you look near them, and they start shooting at you. You'd have to build with walls around you to protect you.

Heck, maybe bees could be one evolutionary step; they could basically just use the Manhack code, and they could fly at you and poison you. Maybe they could go as far as becoming Hydralisk-things, or maybe the queens could evolve into overlords.

Man, I was all against using stuff from other games/shows, but this is really sounding fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #130
    January 2010
    398 Posts
    If even half of these ideas make it to code, the infesters will become unstoppable(er).

11. Post #131
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    What's really funny is that you can actually seed a colony if you want. Last time I checked, you can actually unweld them from whatever they're on, then easy-weld them to a target. What really freaked me out is I unwelded one once and just let it float away. Damn thing seeded the ground as it floated around.

Was a sort of infested surface material ever discussed? I think there was a video used as a basis for the discussion... Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaJLk8MhL4

Err... Wait, That'd make it like the creep from Starcraft. Dammit, why'd Blizzard have to come up with this stuff first?

12. Post #132
    August 2010
    1,179 Posts
    If even half of these ideas make it to code, the infesters will become unstoppable(er).
    I think the lag they cause when there are massive numbers of them needs to be fixed before we can really start adding to them.

Edited:

I think the issue is in their think hooks, they are probably run too often.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    I think the lag they cause when there are massive numbers of them needs to be fixed before we can really start adding to them.

Edited:

I think the issue is in their think hooks, they are probably run too often.
    Yeah, the lag kind of kills the fun.

Thinking of random stuff, does the GHD work with the MPC? I had a fun idea earlier about making a ship entirely made out of MPCs, with the controllers sitting on a planet somewhere, and the ship moving based on coordinates (or something like that). It could be quite fun to make a transporter "box" that moved around the map almost instantly that you didn't die in. Wait....NO, DR. WHO, STOP MESSING WITH MY SUBCONSIOUS!!!

14. Post #134
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    We can't really have an infestation until that's fixed, but I'm not sure Paradukes just wanted to call them "annoying."

15. Post #135
    January 2010
    398 Posts
    But thats their (not so) secret weapon, destroy your pc through intensive lag. ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #136
    I love Lemon Punch

July 2010
    152 Posts

Edited:

Yeah it seems he was trying to make classes for the infestor that did different things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

17. Post #137
    I love Lemon Punch

July 2010
    152 Posts
    Also shouldnt Gcombat be updated to Pew Pew or GCombat 2 (when it comes out)?

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    But thats their (not so) secret weapon, destroy your pc through intensive lag. ;)
    True.

On another note, is anyone experiencing nuisances with logging in? For some reason closing or even refreshing the browser page logs me out and Firefox won't auto-login anymore.

19. Post #139
    August 2009
    81 Posts
    yes.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    Sheesh, did the site's designer screw up something or what? I'm not saying I'm an expert at PHP but from what I noticed so far is that not only there's a minor error in the login section but apparently the guy decided it would be fun to use session variables instead of cookies to store the login state. Again, I think that's what's going on but maybe it's on our end.

EDIT: okay, what the hell. It just started keeping my logged-in state again.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,537 Posts
    If you clear your cookies and relog in, apparently the issue becomes fixed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    I wasn't having login issues I don't think, I just kept getting weird crap about how the site was down but some cloud thingy had previous pages I could view... Whatever, seems to be fixed now. >:\

23. Post #143
    August 2008
    1,209 Posts
    Cool ideas.

Anyhow, welding a chair to a turret base works, but it makes aiming very hard as it's very senitive.

Also, it would be great if infestor colonies would eventually grow into such sizes it could "deploy" some headcrabs, or something similar. Parasites what infest people, and if the infected can't find a cure, he/she dies, and from his/her body, a new colony will grow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

24. Post #144
    I love Lemon Punch

July 2010
    152 Posts
    Cool ideas.

Anyhow, welding a chair to a turret base works, but it makes aiming very hard as it's very senitive.

Also, it would be great if infestor colonies would eventually grow into such sizes it could "deploy" some headcrabs, or something similar. Parasites what infest people, and if the infected can't find a cure, he/she dies, and from his/her body, a new colony will grow.
    So a new NPC that gives people an "infection" then instead of dying how about they use my idea from before ( you become a spore and can fly around spraying your infestors everywhere). Your ideas are great though

25. Post #145
    August 2008
    1,209 Posts
    Exactly. And thanks :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

26. Post #146
    December 2008
    31 Posts
    So is SBMP still fully reliant on gcombat08? I'm trying to get back into gmod and am starting a spacebuild server with my buds, but we can't seem to find gcombat anywhere.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    So is SBMP still fully reliant on gcombat08? I'm trying to get back into gmod and am starting a spacebuild server with my buds, but we can't seem to find gcombat anywhere.
    Get PewPew.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,537 Posts
    GCombat08 is on garrysmod.org. You can also use PewPew, which is a generally better system, google it.

Oh shit i just got ninja'd.

29. Post #149
    December 2008
    31 Posts
    Get PewPew.
    Yeah, we got PewPew on there, our admin seems to be confused by it, but that saves us a lot of trouble. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #150
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    Holy shit, the submit comment box has spell checker and stuff. :D To keep this on topic, does anyone know why the missile smoke trails for the x4, x8, and x10 launchers turned red? Not terribly important, but I'm just curious when that happened. I kept thinking my tools were messed up since some stuff isn't working at the moment, like the lift tool. Again, not terribly important since it's being re-worked. I'm just curious.

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,373 Posts
    Has the lift tool ever truly worked?

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    I find it to be a rather useful tool if you want to make a ship with just the part assembler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

33. Post #153
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    It's twitchy to get it to start working, but it's fine after that. Now it won't start at all, but Adv. duped ships/stations that need the tool work for some reason.

34. Post #154
    July 2010
    69 Posts
    Hey guys!

I recently came back to GMod, and this was by far my favorite mod. I couldn't play without it.

Anyways, seeing as it is recent in discussion...
    The lift tool?

When I left, it was recently new.
    It was buggy, you would have to reset the tool and try a few times to bring up the construction interface. Now it doesn't even do that :/

How long has it been since it was working last, and how long till it would be working again?
    I live off this and the part assembler :D

35. Post #155
    January 2010
    398 Posts
    It's pretty much at that same stage, reset the tool several times and it eventually works.

36. Post #156
    July 2010
    69 Posts
    Oh trust me, I've tried that atleast 50 consecutive times.
    Still no success.

37. Post #157
    July 2007
    602 Posts
    How RUDE.

But no, not really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Have you figured out why it needs resetting all the time?

Silly me, of course you have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    I'm gonna be spastic once it's fixed. I have a few new ideas and once the lift tool is back, I'll make my first asymmetrical ship.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    August 2010
    1,179 Posts
    Idk what you people are talking about, the lift tool has always worked OK for me (other than the popping up for everyone issue). You just need to get the hang of working around what causes it to fail and have a bit of patience to be able to successfully use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events