1. Post #1
    Fat & Ugly
    October 2009
    788 Posts
    Whenever I try to start my car the key won't turn. It will go in and if I keep the door open it will beep so it is recognizing it but it won't turn. It used to be hard to make it start but now it doesn't work at all.

Anyone have a similar problem or know how to fix it?
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    9,834 Posts
    get a new key?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Have you accidentally locked the steering wheel by turning it while the key was out? Try really hard to turn the steering wheel while trying to turn the key.

Edited:

The way the steering lock works on 99% of vehicles won't let you turn the tumbler if the lock was put on with force against the wheel, since it operates off of the tumbler mechanism. It's kind of hard to explain, just try it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2009
    5,044 Posts
    Yeah do what bradley said
    keep jerkin the wheel around while tryna turn the key

5. Post #5
    Fat & Ugly
    October 2009
    788 Posts
    Have you accidentally locked the steering wheel by turning it while the key was out? Try really hard to turn the steering wheel while trying to turn the key.

Edited:

The way the steering lock works on 99% of vehicles won't let you turn the tumbler if the lock was put on with force against the wheel, since it operates off of the tumbler mechanism. It's kind of hard to explain, just try it.
    Just tried but the wheel just got locked sideways and still doesn't work.

It only turns 1 way now and if I try to turn it the locked way it feels like it is going to break.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,033 Posts
    Keep trying what bradley said. Don't put and insane amount of pressure on the key though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Fat & Ugly
    October 2009
    788 Posts
    Keep trying what bradley said. Don't put and insane amount of pressure on the key though.
    Ok thanks all ill try more.

8. Post #8
    I HAVE A ROTARY BECAUSE ITS GODDAMN AWESOME!
    April 2007
    3,146 Posts
    Simple answer: The key is worn down. Get a new key made and it will work fine, shouldn't cost too much eather, fairly cheap for older cars.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,702 Posts
    I paid $40 to have some shady guy make me a key for my car without a key to copy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    I HAVE A ROTARY BECAUSE ITS GODDAMN AWESOME!
    April 2007
    3,146 Posts
    the key to my mazda was worn down when i bought it, paid around 60 for one key copy...apparently imports are more expensive or whatever. Sucks. But depending on what you drive it should be fairly cheap, my generic chevy k10 was like $5 per key...they didn't always work but they would re-cut it for free so..

11. Post #11
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    ..apparently imports are more expensive or whatever. Sucks. But depending on what you drive it should be fairly cheap
    1995 BMW e36 Ignition Key (no remote functionality) - $250 from dealer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    '90 Civic hatch key -- $2.50
    Have a CRX key made at locksmith from just the tumbler (had no key to match it for door lock) -- Something like $20-25

Where the hell do you guys get your keys made? Quit getting ass fucked.

13. Post #13

May 2011
    107 Posts
    Topic title made me laugh. It isn't he key,it's the keyhole that is broken. Or so i am told.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Fat & Ugly
    October 2009
    788 Posts
    Its not the key I tried my spare which isn't worn down at all. I tried using DW40 on key to try to free the pins in the lock if they were stuck.
    The key came out kinda black so there is some graphite in it and I think it might be clogged or something.
    Anyone know how to clean inside it?

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,702 Posts
    '90 Civic hatch key -- $2.50
    Have a CRX key made at locksmith from just the tumbler (had no key to match it for door lock) -- Something like $20-25

Where the hell do you guys get your keys made? Quit getting ass fucked.
    I'm pretty sure the guy who made my key went and bought meth. Opens my doors and starts the engine though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    I used to cut keys also. But my key cutting machine was in my house during the fire so I lost it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

17. Post #17

May 2011
    107 Posts
    Graphite is toxic,if you eat it. Be careful when cleaning the keyhole!

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,033 Posts
    Graphite tasty, Nom NOm nom.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,702 Posts
    I thought Lead was toxic, not Graphite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Definitely high.
    August 2005
    1,002 Posts
    Graphite isn't toxic at all, that's why they swapped it out in pencils from lead

21. Post #21
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    You saying I shouldn't lick my key every time I take it out of the ignition for good luck??

22. Post #22
    Definitely high.
    August 2005
    1,002 Posts
    I wouldn't lick a key anyway :P

23. Post #23
    April 2010
    1,622 Posts
    Its not the key I tried my spare which isn't worn down at all. I tried using DW40 on key to try to free the pins in the lock if they were stuck.
    The key came out kinda black so there is some graphite in it and I think it might be clogged or something.
    Anyone know how to clean inside it?
    Powdered graphite is a lubricant that was actually commonly used to clean locks in the past, but it can cause your tumblers to over-lift and other problems like that. Just keep flushing it with WD-40 until your key comes out clean.

24. Post #24

May 2011
    107 Posts
    Wd-40:The tool that fixes everything!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,702 Posts
    When in doubt, hose it down.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,033 Posts
    When I was like... 9, I used to spray WD40 on ants. My dad would come home to grease stains all over the driveway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)