1. Post #681

April 2011
    4,466 Posts
    I own a California Kingsnake. I might get pictures later, if I can be bothered to work out how to when holding a snake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #682
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    Three african greys, a budgie, and my mom is taking care of an injured pigeon, she has been for many years now.
    I had two budgies, one died of cancer though, she was put down due to a fit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #683
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    I've always wanted a capuchin monkey.

They are so fucking cute.

My great grandpa had one, and said he would climb on the fan, and turn it on low and shit on his hands and throw it at new people that came in the house
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,051 Posts
    that's normally the reason people wouldn't want a monkey but whatever floats your boat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #685
    Hello Handsome
    Dennab
    February 2010
    13,495 Posts
    I hate mammals so much. Well, with the exception of dogs and cats, obviously. They stink up the place to no end and are so disgusting.

I prefer my winged friends and scaly companions, thank you very much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #686
    Hello Handsome
    Dennab
    February 2010
    13,495 Posts
    How's that Emu coming along, Raptor?

7. Post #687
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,225 Posts
    When I weighed them this morning, I couldn't keep them balanced on the scale, had to set them on a roll of tape to get them to quit rolling away. Bit early to say for sure, but I'm hoping that was the chicks wiggling around inside because I was moving the eggs. If what I read is right, 10-15 more days and they should begin to respond to sounds.

I also increased the humidity, it's now at about 45%, this should push them back up into their projected weight loss then I can bump it back down to 35% next week and keep it there till they hatch. If they kept to the weight loss they were getting over this week they'd be at 15 and 16% loss by hatch, I can do better for em though.

Egg A
    1/20 (Day 1) - 691.3 g
    1/26 (Day 7) - 676.8 g (14.5 g/2.14%)
    2/2 (Day 14) - 660.9 5 (15.9 g/4.59%)
    2/9 (Day 21) - 647.6 g (13.3 g/2.05%)

Egg B
    1/20 (Day 1) - 676.3 g
    1/26 (Day 7) - 663.2 g (13.1 g/1.97%)
    2/2 (Day 14) - 648.7 g (14.5 g/4.25%)
    2/9 (Day 21) - 636.4 g (12.3 g/1.93%)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 7 (list)

8. Post #688
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    669 Posts
    My friend just got a rattlesnake acouple days ago, its pretty awesome except that it rattles 24/7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #689
    Hello Handsome
    Dennab
    February 2010
    13,495 Posts
    My friend just got a rattlesnake acouple days ago, its pretty awesome except that it rattles 24/7
    They only do that when they're pissed. He must be more infuriated than a marmoset trapped in a straw sack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #690
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,225 Posts
    Probably just stressed out from being in a new environment, it'll settle down after a few days I'm sure.

I've seen some 'tame' rattlers that are pretty quiet, usually only do a half-assed rattle when someone would walk up before realizing there's nothing to be rattling at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #691
    January 2012
    178 Posts
    I had a goat. I don't live on a farm or anything, so it was pretty unusual for a pet.
    I don't think he's considered an "Exotic Pet", but oh well, having a goat is rare in my area.

He's so silly :')
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16 (list)

12. Post #692
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,051 Posts
    chicken update

we've decided against the silkie and polish since they're high maintenance and useless

anybody know any other good breeds to go with a jersey giant and ameracuana

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,225 Posts
    chicken update

we've decided against the silkie and polish since they're high maintenance and useless

anybody know any other good breeds to go with a jersey giant and ameracuana
    Silkies are really only useful when you're breeding chickens without an incubator, they're very broody and don't lay often, so they'll hatch eggs that don't even belong to them.

Plymouth Rocks are good layers and fairly docile.
    Orpingtons are good too, they lay decent sized eggs and are also docile.
    Rhode Island Reds lay very well too but they're aggressive and tend to rule the roost and even the hens have spurs.
    I have an Araucana too but she stopped laying because she's so old, she's also the one in charge though and being so docile she keeps the others in line without tearing them apart and will even give the Rhode Island Red a peck on the head when she gets too worked up and starts beating on the others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #694
    January 2010
    1,696 Posts
    Puppy update! Just brought her home today, I've named her Ruby.

(Brb going to the gym)

(Okay time for a nap, she would only fall asleep in the basket.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 21Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #695
    January 2012
    178 Posts
    Puppy update! Just brought her home today, I've named her Ruby.

(Brb going to the gym)

(Okay time for a nap, she would only fall asleep in the basket.)
    Holy crap, you got a corgi. Really good choice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #696
    January 2010
    1,696 Posts
    I highly recommend Corgis, I've had her for two days now and shes responds to her name most of the time, goes to the bathroom on peepads, and she knows I'm her momma. Really smart dog and shes not even 8 weeks old!

17. Post #697
    October 2009
    2,371 Posts
    will you be my momma
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

18. Post #698
    January 2010
    1,696 Posts
    Absolutely not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #699
    Dennab
    December 2009
    6,575 Posts
    wont get tired of this
    Holy shit, related video:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

20. Post #700
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,051 Posts
    final chicken tally probably
    jersey giant
    australorp
    ameracuana
    red star

Edited:

so many eggs

21. Post #701
    January 2010
    1,696 Posts
    Someone is about to fall out of bed

Oops, too late!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12 (list)

22. Post #702
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,198 Posts
    I want a Corgi now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

23. Post #703
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,378 Posts
    I recently got two Red Clawed crabs and they're little shitheads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

24. Post #704
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,225 Posts
    My Emu eggs are both wiggling now, I noticed one of them wiggle 3 days ago while I was looking in to check the water level and temperature. They'll both wiggle when I whistle to them now. ~14 days left till the hatch, give or take a day or two after.

Relevant:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

25. Post #705
    September 2008
    1,149 Posts
    I own a tiger...
    Exotic enough?

I think something is wrong with it thought...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #706
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,349 Posts
    You probably just fed it too much. It looks stuffed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 10Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #707
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,610 Posts

My cousin has this guy, who enjoys sitting and sleeping in odd positions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

28. Post #708
    BIG TITLE
    November 2009
    7,553 Posts
    Is a fox a hard pet to get and keep?

29. Post #709

April 2011
    4,466 Posts
    Did I mention that I have 2 Westies?

Best dogs ever btw.

30. Post #710
    IT WAS ONLY $1 SO WHY NOT BUY A TITLE?
    March 2007
    3,102 Posts
    Foxes are non-domesticated pets and as such, you'll have to check your local laws to see if you're
    even allowed to own a Fox. You usually need a license. Also, IRRC There's no proper rabies vaccine
    for Foxes which is part of why they'v not been domesticated.

It'll be difficult to find one to buy, you might be able to adopt/volunteer to raise one if it's been abandoned or injured, but it'll depend on your local territory/state laws.

After you find out if you are even able to own one, then you should take a lot of consideration whether or not you are ready for that. Foxes like to mark their territory and smell very musky. They aren't domesticated so training them not to do so will be difficult at best. They are smart animals but are wild animals and as such, will prove pretty difficult to train.

Some breeds, like the Fennec Fox, are more suitable to others for living in a domestic environment though.

Just remember that Foxes will be difficult pets to own. They are not domesticated and are very active. You can probaly tell from the video that they are pretty active, and very curious. However, don't let that turn you off.
    If you're dedicated to taking care of the pet and giving it a good home, then definitely consider it. Especially if you adopt one that needs a home, you will be giving a home to an animal that needs it, especially if you get one from a home
    that adopted a Fox because it was 'cute' and it turned out to be too much work for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10 (list)

31. Post #711
    Hello Handsome
    Dennab
    February 2010
    13,495 Posts
    I recently got two Red Clawed crabs and they're little shitheads.
    I have a friend who own's a crab farm, for food. He occasionally takes them out and throws them at people for the hell of it.

Asshole.

You need a class 1 wildlife license here in the US to own one, I think. They require more training than most dogs, but if kept under good care can be very good pets.

Just keep the chickens away from 'em. Bad idea right there. Don't ask how I know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #712
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,225 Posts
    I have a friend who own's a crab farm, for food. He occasionally takes them out and throws them at people for the hell of it.

Asshole.
    Sounds like he's a real crab.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #713
    September 2011
    345 Posts

Ever since I first saw this cute little fucker I have wanted a Red Panda as a pet. Sadly, I don't think you're legally allowed to own one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #714
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,400 Posts
    I had a neighbor who kept a fox cub for a while because she was with Animal Aid. I don't know what became of the little guy, but he seemed pretty nice when I saw him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #715
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,066 Posts
    Apparently it's legal to own a fox in Arizona, but you have to apply for an Exotic Animal license and go through the proper channels.

I found a breeder, but according to current anti-terror laws it's illegal to ship one (lolwhy).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

36. Post #716
    October 2009
    2,371 Posts
    Apparently it's legal to own a fox in Arizona, but you have to apply for an Exotic Animal license and go through the proper channels.

I found a breeder, but according to current anti-terror laws it's illegal to ship one (lolwhy).
    dem foxes are known to blow up cities
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

37. Post #717
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,225 Posts
    They say foxes are clever, perhaps too clever...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

38. Post #718
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,066 Posts
    They say foxes are clever, perhaps too clever...
    This made me realize how horrible I am at Photoshop

I'm sure you're figure out why for yourself.

39. Post #719
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,619 Posts
    i have a ferret that i named boba william esquire ferret jr. II
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #720
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    I did my work experience at the animal unit in college a few weeks ago, as part of my animal care course. Here's some of the animals I looked after. Whilst they are not my pets, the lecturers say we should treat them as though they are.

Asian forest scorpion: She happened to be out during feeding time, and you can just about see the cricket I gave her. She simply crushed it in her claws and took it in her chelicerae. Afterwards, she got a bit lairy and raised her tail so that I couldn't replace her water. So I picked her up and moved her.

Tortoise: Wouldn't want to mess with him. He was pretty cute.

Madagascan day gecko: Had to use a long pair of metal tweezers to give them their locusts. The one pictured wasn't interested, although another took it and ran off.

Leopard gecko: I like these. I was meant to be feeding them, but being nocturnal not many of them were interested in their food.

Baby guinea pig: Not really exotic, but I had to put it there anyway. There are eight babies in total, and they were accidentally conceived when a male was put in the wrong cage (With his mother and sister ) and impregnated the occupants. They're a few weeks old now.
    The first litter. The adult on the left had her litter several days after this was taken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)