1. Post #641
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,568 Posts
    Unless it's shunned in professional photography to use a timer I'm not sure what to this of her portfolio.

Hi, I'm credsniper, new to photography, and bad joke teller.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #642
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    Her "portfolio" (yes she named the album that) was this one:

3. Post #643
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,568 Posts
    Two of those sky pictures are alright, and the one with the thin flowers are decent. If I'm wrong tell me why.

4. Post #644
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,944 Posts
    Two of those sky pictures are alright, and the one with the thin flowers are decent. If I'm wrong tell me why.
    I dunno, it's your opinion. Are you wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #645
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    Half of them are out of focus. I can see one or two alright ones there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #646
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,213 Posts

this is actually rather nice, but the sheer spam of flowers, pcitures of the camera sitting there, a blurry closeup of their eye, and more pictures of the sky when it gets kinda orange in the distance are too much to ignore, it makes it seem more like a situationally lucky random shot than anything more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #647
    October 2011
    793 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

8. Post #648
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,213 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #649
    April 2010
    646 Posts
    "I love you jennay" Was the first thing I thought
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

10. Post #650
    April 2009
    828 Posts
    You guys may remember the Encomienda Photography guy. Well, I wanted to be honest with him and tell him that a majority of his photos aren't good with the giant watermark on his photos that are more than likely from Paint. He replied to me "I prefer having a large watermark for copyright purposes". I replied saying that honestly no one will steal his photos and make money off of it. His reply again? "Just in case"
    Like anyone will steal this photo:

He also has two bodies: his main body being a D5100 and his "backup" being a D3100. A friend of mine who goes to the same school as him told me that he has two bodies because he's too "lazy" to switch lenses. Which is... whatever I guess. I don't know, I just get so annoyed by these people. I know I shouldn't really hate other's photography work, but come on.. I honestly believe he thinks he's really good or something because he claims that his photos were featured on KUSI news (San Diego local news)

/endrage

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #651

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Repost from the other thread:

You got to be fucking kidding me right?
    People with their mommy's kit lens DSLR and Video camera think they can start a photography business?

Oh, here's the link to the video.

http://vimeo.com/37220097

I spot some nice pictures, but nothing special or out of the ordinary, and this person has the audacity to say "Impress me, then maybe you can intern?"

EDIT: Yup, my assumption was right, typical DSLR with kit lens. ( No offense to those who carry one )

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #652
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

13. Post #653
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,944 Posts
    It's a shame that the kit lens is easily seen and judged as noob photographer gear. The both Nikon and Canon's 18-55 are decent in quality and far surpass some older lens designs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #654

June 2011
    492 Posts
    It's a shame that the kit lens is easily seen and judged as noob photographer gear. The both Nikon and Canon's 18-55 are decent in quality and far surpass some older lens designs.

I'm not saying it's noob by any means, but if you were I, I don't think you'd be using the 18-55 as your main lens of choice if you'd decided to start a "photography" business, would you?

Also, the Nikons 18-55 IMO is much better than the last revision 18-55 ( not the newest one )

15. Post #655
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,213 Posts
    from the deviant art thread

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #656
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #657
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    166 Posts
    I think it's the gear boasting.

18. Post #658
    September 2008
    1,509 Posts
    Well looking through his gallery it seems that he has a lot of expensive equipment and does nothing more than taking macro shots around his house. http://carbanim.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #659
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,213 Posts
    a case of daddy's equipment and boasting, yeah. I do have to give him credit for keeping up with a 365 project thus far, and he's got a decent amount of stuff that's good, he's just goofy about it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,091 Posts
    I know of 'That Girl' in my photography class, she shows up to class with her gear and a portfolio, which consisted of a variety of long exposure highway shots, rings, flowers, a girl posing (the girl didn't even shave her armpits, like 12 o' clock shadow there) and all of these pictures with a horrendous 'JB POHTOGRAPHSYF' ~pro~ watermark. I died on the inside because she really thinks she's all that. We had a group project on Lomo, all the pictures that she took, she took them with out moving from the standing position, she didn't go low or move for an angle, she just stood. What made it worse was the fact that she was bragging already about how good her pictures are gonna come out. Ded, ded, ded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

21. Post #661

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Well, somewhat good news.

Seems like I'm going to intern / get a job. Refer to what I posted above. I'll try and refrain myself from referring facepunch, but that is going to be incredibly hard. Luckily... these people know people, so I should be able to get some work done.

I now should really start compensating for fullframe now. gah, haven't even taken pictures in 3 months.

EDIT, maybe not as good as I thought:

"Everything looks great and like something we are looking for. As you can kinda tell we are in the beginning stages of the "company" and we will need you available some weekend to have meeting and go over things such as advertisements, protocol, billing, etc.
    As I can see you are into both photography and videography which are the main things we are doing which is great. Right now Jason and I have two projects we are working on that are non profit and we can try to get something like that set up for you. We want to do this so we have some examples to show people.
    Now another thing is we will only get paid by going out and doing work, so this means you have to take it upon yourself to go out and find work. I will try my best to get your name out there on Facebook also. I will msg you more about this later on.."

"Love the work btw! Still trying to figure out how to get that one Dland picture(the slow shutter speed or whatever)"

I lold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #662
    -post in the wrong thread that I didn't notice until the day after-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,629 Posts
    he loves it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #664
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,964 Posts
    How did he do it without streetlights?!?!

25. Post #665
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #666
    ask me about my title
    August 2009
    2,712 Posts
    Sometimes I wish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #667
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,213 Posts
    have you guys ever been walking or driving down a street late at night, looked at a lamp post, and it dies practically on command? It's so commonplace with me that my friend actually yells "DAMMIT" if it happens while he's with me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #668
    January 2012
    178 Posts
    Yet another example of silly girls with DSLRS

(I think she's 13)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #669
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: A license and training should be required to purchase a DSLR.
    I mean, jesus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #670
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,964 Posts
    I've said it before, I'll say it again: A license and training should be required to purchase a DSLR.
    I mean, jesus.
    that's a little cynical. i mean knowledge shouldn't be required to own something, you can certainly learn from owning a product.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #671
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,395 Posts
    It's an entry level DSLR and as far as I can know, she hasn't made claims of photographic skill or boasted about $$. Even if she had, she's only 13. For all we know, she picked up the family camera laying around the house to snap some selfies - no different than any other camera she would have had access too.

This thread is about attitude guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #672
    January 2012
    178 Posts
    that's a little cynical. i mean knowledge shouldn't be required to own something, you can certainly learn from owning a product.
    That's true, although in some cases, people purchase DSLRs and don't learn a thing from it.
    It's questionable to have a license and training before purchasing a DSLR. You should probably know what you're buying (or better yet, how to use it) before you get it. But I guess this can be different between people, since many people learn from hands-on work.
    As long as you make good use of it as a result of buying one- which many people don't seem to do. (This usually applies to the average 13-16 year old girl on Facebook. All the photographers that I've seen on Facepunch so far are great.)

33. Post #673
    Same as you can learn from using guns, right

(yes I know one of them can hurt people and the other can't)

You can learn how to do most stuff with a point and shoot, then step up to a DSLR when you can take decently composed pictures and had some professional training or something.
    Ever since cheap cameras happened teenagers take photography as a game, and cameras as toys. Back when it was just film you didn't see anyone taking skewed pictures in front of a dirty mirror while duckfacing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #674
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,964 Posts
    Same as you can learn from using guns, right

(yes I know one of them can hurt people and the other can't)

You can learn how to do most stuff with a point and shoot, then step up to a DSLR when you can take decently composed pictures and had some professional training or something.
    Ever since cheap cameras happened teenagers take photography as a game, and cameras as toys. Back when it was just film you didn't see anyone taking skewed pictures in front of a dirty mirror while duckfacing.
    that's a terrible analogy, and is completely non sequitur. when i bought my camera i didn't know anything about using it and now i know a lot.

DSLR's shouldn't be a niche market, if you have enough money you should be able to own one. someone else taking bad pictures with theirs doesn't devalue you or your work in any way.
    if anything more people purchasing them helps the company stay in business and invent new products.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #675
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,889 Posts
    I get jealous when I see shitty high school drivers who just got their licences with really nice brand new cars, but it doesn't mean they are the "that guy" of drivers, they just have money to spend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #676
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,213 Posts
    I get jealous when I see shitty high school drivers who just got their licences with really nice brand new cars, but it doesn't mean they are the "that guy" of drivers, they just have money to spend.
    half of the kids I know between my graduating class and now my sister's class who had shiny new cars got into accidents with them, several having wrecked their car only to get another shiny new car. My sister's friend has destroyed three cars, and after that she decided to sneak out at night and go for a joyride with her friend who had just gotten HIS brand new mustang. They ended up rolling the car at 80mph, into a tree farm, ultimately crushing in the driver's side and paralyzing the boy driving. He had just gotten a massive basketball scholarship and his parents treated him to the car as a graduation present.

tl;dr that girl is cursed and I will never let her touch my cameras
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

37. Post #677
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,908 Posts
    How is that funny? That's such a sad story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #678
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,964 Posts
    How is that funny? That's such a sad story.
    the tl;dr is pretty funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

39. Post #679
    March 2006
    4,141 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #680
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,964 Posts
    timestamps are the funniest thing to me
    like it was such an important day that it could never be forgotten
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)