1. Post #761
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Thread has turned away from "that guy" and has returned to "lets make fun of people who take bad photos, even if they don't gloat about it and think they're unconditionally exceptional".
    How else can we bloat our photo-egos?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #762
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    it's the same with the deviant art thread, though it is fun to see the occasional anomaly like a hundred thousand pictures with apparent lack of improvement. Could just be that they're touristy and upload everything for sake of family

I read a quote a while back, and it always reminds me of this thread. "If I see the beauty in things no one else does, am I artistic, or does it just mean I have bad taste?"

3. Post #763
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    Thread has turned away from "that guy" and has returned to "lets make fun of people who take bad photos, even if they don't gloat about it and think they're unconditionally exceptional".
    If you're referring to my post, it's not that at all, I just wasn't sure where else to post it. I was just blown away by how many pictures he's posted, and how he uploads literally every picture. It's an anomaly all right.

I guess I was also surprised with all the blurry pictures taken in a moving car with a 7D, which I'd associate a skilled photographer would use, yet there were blurry car pictures among the 110 000 other pictures

Edited:

it's the same with the deviant art thread, though it is fun to see the occasional anomaly like a hundred thousand pictures with apparent lack of improvement. Could just be that they're touristy and upload everything for sake of family

I read a quote a while back, and it always reminds me of this thread. "If I see the beauty in things no one else does, am I artistic, or does it just mean I have bad taste?"
    I don't know, some if it seems like paid work. I see stuff for babies being born, weddings, hair salons, art galleries etc. Some are decent enough, but he seems to upload all the bad ones as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #764
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts

oh man, the people I know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

5. Post #765
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts

oh man, the people I know
    That's a really awkward picture :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #766
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #767
    April 2012
    170 Posts
    Can I be 'that guy' for 2 minutes or something while im still incredibly happy about my new lens?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #768
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    there's nothing wrong with being proud about a new lens
    you become a "that guy" when you pretend as if getting a new lens makes you a good photographer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #769
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,408 Posts
    Wish I was as cool as these guys.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #770
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,207 Posts
    I don't know what AMA means.

11. Post #771
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,408 Posts
    Ask me anything. Like how celebrities and interesting people post IAMA's (I am a ___, ask me anything) on Reddit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #772
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,207 Posts
    Ah, I see.

13. Post #773
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,988 Posts
    Lol trading a 5d for a d90
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #774
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,408 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #775
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,988 Posts
    this is the only photo gear designed for women

16. Post #776
    November 2008
    2,273 Posts
    may not be "that guy" material but i know a few guys with pretty decent kit, Canon 550D level stuff (i know its not that high level but for a 17 year old thats decent kit), and have absolutely no respect for it. Throwing camera bags about, dropping it and laughing, letting their tripod topple over down a muddy hill to name a few things.

Edited:

also, the latest piece of each of their work:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #777
    April 2009
    828 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #778
    March 2006
    4,142 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

19. Post #779
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    he'll never get the 1k. If he does, sign me up lmao

20. Post #780
    November 2008
    1,196 Posts
    people are just abusing those sites now, for instance, Penny Arcade is doing a big kickstarter.... That's like breaking the number one rule, ruins the whole point of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #781
    I paid two dollars, and all I got was this stupid title.
    May 2006
    545 Posts
    ITT: Everyone thinks they're "that guy".

22. Post #782
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    so uh

SC's at a convention called exxxotica right now

I am joyously awaiting his own photo uploads, because he's the most awkward human being around girls and I'm putting down five dollars on the fact that there will be at least one goofball-faced self portrait with at least one nipple in the background

23. Post #783
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    so uh

SC's at a convention called exxxotica right now

I am joyously awaiting his own photo uploads, because he's the most awkward human being around girls and I'm putting down five dollars on the fact that there will be at least one goofball-faced self portrait with at least one nipple in the background
    that picture is just so awkward, my god

24. Post #784
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    that picture is just so awkward, my god
    At least he isn't hoover handing.

25. Post #785
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    At least he isn't hoover handing.
    I'm actually surprised, there's another picture he isn't hoverhanding. allegedly the girl got a ~$450 tip from viewers of her live show when they mistook him as Manny Paquiao

allegedly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

26. Post #786
    November 2008
    2,273 Posts
    i love this guy, he's actually my hero

27. Post #787
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    this is the worst five dollars I have ever made

Edited:

bonus content, he caught the world's best hoverhand

also nipple
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #788
    I paid two dollars, and all I got was this stupid title.
    May 2006
    545 Posts
    I'm missing something. What's a hoverhand?

29. Post #789
    October 2011
    795 Posts
    This is a hoverhand:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #790

31. Post #791
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    This is a hoverhand:
    Also, note how he is leaning toward her

32. Post #792
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    alright

so

here we go

I need sleep so I can't watch to see if he deletes or responds til later.

I hope the scowl on my face right now is palpable in the text
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

33. Post #793
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    alright

so

here we go

I need sleep so I can't watch to see if he deletes or responds til later.

I hope the scowl on my face right now is palpable in the text
    Those were both really great replies, and it's his loss for ignoring any advice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #794
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,408 Posts
    I must say you're a great guy for doing that for him! You've spelled out and addressed his faults thoroughly, but he has to be open to considering what you've said on his own. If not, he'll simply continue providing justification for himself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #795
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    His reply

"TL;DR"

Mmmmm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

36. Post #796
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Dai that was great.

On the train today, I was discussing cameras with a friend who recently invested in some Sony Alpha (wanted a DSLR but had low funds, consulted internet) and he mentioned film and we started discussing it and the costs. All of a sudden this guy in the seats over turns around and says "Are you talking about how expensive it is?" and I was like "Yeah" and he's all like "Tell me about it" etc. and continued just blasting me with information talking real condescending like, I'll put down in dot points the junk that came out of this bag of marble's mouth (spoiler alert, lies).

Train Dwelling Moron posted:
    >I have a Pentax SLR from way back ages ago, can't remember the name of it.
    >Film costs me $20 a roll
    >I develop the film myself in my darkroom
    >My darkroom cost me $10,000 to set up
    >My buddy in the hills sells me bulk B&W film on the cheap, I bought 200m on one spool for $4000
    >I also have [some camera name I can't remember, used the predecessor to those mini video cassettes] and that's also hell old, vintage man!
    >I got a Pentax K-z and it's heaps good, I sometimes use the lens off my SLR on it but it's hard because it's all manual
    >I prefer 35mm because it's bigger than medium format, I like full frame coverage
    >I have a big zoom lens for my K-z at home that cost me $10,500
    >I tried using a 4gb memory card in the K-z but I only got about 10 shots on it because the quality is so good. Now I use a 16gb card and I have 2000 shots remaining
    He then proceeded to show off his K-z and hands me some folder with all his photos printed on paper. they all have shitty poetic captions over the front. He points out his favourite photo which is just of a tree in the sunset (nothing special at all, would be lucky to fetch a friendly 'round here), says some shit about it being in a gallery in Blackwood (suburb he lives in). The caption over the front of the photo said something along the lines of "This tree is dead, the cracking bark reminds me of war, the sun is bringing it back to life, the world is a crazy place". He then starts going on about some photo he took in B&W at midnight of some Koala about to be run over by a car, at this point I zoned out trying not to laugh and didn't really catch any more, luckily my stop came and I got off.

37. Post #797
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,281 Posts
    The 35mm>med format got me so bad oh my god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #798
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,886 Posts
    oh he thinks that's bad well i buy film for $100 per roll and before i can even get into my darkroom i have to defeat five bears at the door by feeding them with 50 dollar bills until they choke to death (they wont take anything smaller)

Edited:

and i don't even own a camera
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #799
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,207 Posts
    I must say you're a great guy for doing that for him! You've spelled out and addressed his faults thoroughly, but he has to be open to considering what you've said on his own. If not, he'll simply continue providing justification for himself.
    Agreed.
    You did all you could.

If he doesn't take any of your advice, keep posting his shit here so we can continue to laugh.

40. Post #800
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts
    I'm so confused, there's no such thing as a Pentax K-z...?

also, lol, 10 shots on SD card and 35mm vs medium frame, oh man what a dingus