1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,447 Posts

Cookies to ddrl46 for the banner.

Welcome to the Facepunch electronics thread, this thread is for anyone who has an interest in electronics, be it analog, digital or just blowing shit up in their free time.
    If you have something you want to show or desire to get into electronics just make a post and someone will be along eventually.

[release]
    Highlights of V2

ddrl46

DrLuke

LoneWolf_Recon

ROBO_DONUT

[/release]

[release]
    Thread Helpers
    This is a list of the people who have a decent knowledge of electronics, if in doubt give one of us a poke.
    If you wish to be added here please talk to me.

Chryseus
    ddrl46
    ROBO_DONUT
    [/release]

[release]
    Recommended Reading

Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill
    Without a doubt the most complete and informative book on electronics, although the
    current 2nd edition is rather old (1989) it is still extremely relevant to modern electronics.
    If you're going to buy any book this should be the one, although it is not designed for beginners.

Complete Digital Design by Mark Balch
    An excellent book that covers all the basics such as boolean logic,
    karnaugh maps, binary arithmetic and more advanced topics such as serial
    communication, microprocessors and the practical design of digital circuits.

Principles of Electric Circuits by Thomas L. Floyd (9th ed)
    A very good book for beginners that unlike most comes in an electron flow
    version as well, if you prefer that. The book is full of well drawn diagrams and
    helpful pictures which makes reading easy and fun, in addition at the end of each
    chapter there is a quiz to make sure you fully understand what you have read.

Troubleshooting Analog Circuits by Robert A. Pease (Bob Pease)
    An excellent book by an excellent author, this book contains a lot of useful
    information that is invaluable if you are interested in getting into electronic
    repair.

Video Lectures

Basic Electronics, Prof T.S.Natarajan - NPTEL
    Very well made lecture series with a lot of useful information, highly recommended.

Other Resources

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/
    A very informative e-book that can be read online or downloaded, it explains things
    very nicely and with plenty of pictures and diagrams so it is suitable for beginners.
    I highly recommend although the book is not complete.

http://www.eevblog.com/
    Excellent video blog all about electronics, definitely worth watching.
    Also has an excellent forum suitable both for beginners and professionals.

http://www.williamson-labs.com/
    Some useful images but the site design will make your eyes bleed.
    [/release]

[release]
    Where to buy components

Bitsbox - Small selection of components but very cheap shipping, 1.50 UK, 2.75 Europe, 4.00 anywhere else.
    RS - A well known supplier with large selection, shipping is fairly cheap but no Paypal.
    Farnell - Another excellent supplier with a very large selection, minimum order applies and no Paypal.
    DealExtreme - Sells a lot of made in china stuff but you can get some really good deals such as the Rigol DS1052E.
    Rapid - Decent selection but not the cheapest, shipping outside the UK is also fairly expensive.
    Maplin Electronics - Similar to rapid but even more expensive, not available outside the UK as far as I'm aware, avoid.
    Digikey - Excellent selection of components but fairly expensive shipping.
    Sure Electronics - Small selection but some good value for money component kits.
    Sparkfun Electronics - Nice selection with some good deals.
    RSH Electronics - Small selection with some great bargain packs, cheap delivery 4.00 international
    [/release]

[release]
    [h2]Electrical Safety[/h2]
    Working with electricity is generally quite safe, however here are a some useful tips that will help you avoid severe injury or in the worst case death.

Avoid working with mains electricity unless you are confident with what you're doing
    Probe live circuits with your right hand and keep your left hand in your pocket
    Keep your hands clean and dry
    Do not wear any metal objects even around low voltage
    Never go near high energy (3 phase) systems with a non-industry grade multimeter
    Use a properly fused multimeter to avoid risk of explosion
    Ensure high voltage capacitors are discharged before touching a circuit
    Never make changes to household wiring unless you REALLY know what you're doing
    NEVER EVER play around with microwave ovens they're potentially lethal

[/release]

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6Programming King Programming King x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2010
    2,354 Posts
    This looks fairly interesting, what languages can you code for this stuff in?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,447 Posts
    This looks fairly interesting, what languages can you code for this stuff in?
    It depends very much on the MCU / CPU in question, C and inline assembly is usually the standard however a number of other languages have been made to work such Fortran, Java, C++, Python, etc
    Any language can with some effort be used.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    It should be noted that the higher level the programming languages get (C++, Java, .........., Lua), they need a lot more CPU power and ROM and RAM, making them impractical for microcontroller use. That's why you'll most likely find C and assembly used on microcontroller like the AVR or PIC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    It should be noted that the higher level the programming languages get (C++, Java, .........., Lua), they need a lot more CPU power and ROM and RAM, making them impractical for microcontroller use. That's why you'll most likely find C and assembly used on microcontroller like the AVR or PIC.
    C++ is not a high level language; and lua is not a programming language, it's a scripting language written in C.

While C++ is not used on many microcontrollers by default, it still compiles to assembly so as long as a compiler is written it can be used on any microcontroller that is assembly-compliant. All of the arduino platforms use C++ though, and it's fairly easy to set up visual C++ to compile onto an arduino for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    C++ is not a high level language; and lua is not a programming language, it's a scripting language written in C.

While C++ is not used on many microcontrollers by default, it still compiles to assembly so as long as a compiler is written it can be used on any microcontroller that is assembly-compliant. All of the arduino platforms use C++ though, and it's fairly easy to set up visual C++ to compile onto an arduino for example.
    Lua is a programming language and I have no idea what you mean by "assembly-compliant".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    April 2010
    2,354 Posts
    Lua is a programming language and I have no idea what you mean by "assembly-compliant".
    I think he means it compiles into assembly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    Just mean any embedded system that is designed to interpret assembly commands.

EDIT: Also, fair enough if they want to call lua a programming language - but it is by definition a scripting language. It's a language made within another language that only runs by being executed by another program (whether it be a custom program or the standard lua interpreter), and it's usually used to extend programs functionality outside of the main code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,620 Posts
    Oh wow, We finally got to a v2, we need highlights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,447 Posts
    Oh wow, We finally got to a v2, we need highlights.
    Please PM me any suggestions you have for the featured projects section.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,015 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't class something that runs in a VM as a programming language.
    But that's like, my opinion man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2010
    2,354 Posts
    So.. what do people actually use these for? Other than shamelessly screwing around

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't class something that runs in a VM as a programming language.
    It's not a matter of opinion. It's a programming language by definition.
    That still doesn't make any sense. Any modern processor is going to be pretty similar. They all iterate through instructions containing opcodes and arguments. Assembly languages are just the human-readable form where opcodes are replaced by mnemonics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    It's not a matter of opinion. It's a programming language by definition.

That still doesn't make any sense. Any modern processor is going to be pretty similar. They all iterate through instructions containing opcodes and arguments. Assembly is just the human-readable form where opcodes are replaced by mnemonics.
    Alright so honestly, why would you do this? You skip over my post and basically reword it but without reasoning.

it is by definition a scripting language. It's a language made within another language that only runs by being executed by another program (whether it be a custom program or the standard lua interpreter), and it's usually used to extend programs functionality outside of the main code.
    Also, I didn't say it was rare or abnormal - for gods sake read the posts in the thread. The entire point of me saying that was that everything should work with C++ to some extent, and that went over your head to a pretty extreme extent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts

EDIT: Also, fair enough if they want to call lua a programming language - but it is by definition a scripting language. It's a language made within another language that only runs by being executed by another program (whether it be a custom program or the standard lua interpreter), and it's usually used to extend programs functionality outside of the main code.
    I don't think you are aware of the definition of a scripting language. A scripting language is by definition a special type of programming language that's designed to be embedded in an application written in a different language.

Wikipedia posted:
    A scripting language, script language or extension language is a programming language that allows control of one or more applications. "Scripts" are distinct from the core code of the application, as they are usually written in a different language and are often created or at least modified by the end-user. Scripts are often interpreted from source code or bytecode, whereas the application is typically first compiled to native machine code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    I don't think you are aware of the definition of a scripting language. A scripting language is by definition a special type of programming language that's designed to be embedded in an application written in a different language.
    That's pretty much what I said exactly, did you read my post at all...?

EDIT: Oh, I see. Well if you just bold two parts of a sentence it's easy to disagree with what I said I suppose, but the rest of that paragraph agrees with everything I said.

EDIT2: also, your title is missing a semi-colon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,146 Posts
    So what you're basically saying Java isn't a programming language?
    What about C#?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    Alright, since everyone is clearly incredibly offended by my disagreement of lua being a programming language - let me clarify what I said in a language everyone here can understand (apologies for any 5AM spelling/grammar/other errors).

Lua is embedded - it has to be run in an interpreter, whether that be the standard one written in C or a custom one. The wikipedia definition of a scripting language says this, just as Overv quoted as well:

A scripting language, script language or extension language is a programming language that allows control of one or more applications. "Scripts" are distinct from the core code of the application, as they are usually written in a different language and are often created or at least modified by the end-user. Scripts are often interpreted from source code or bytecode, whereas the application is typically first compiled to native machine code.
    Now, because the definition opens with "a programming language that...", some people are crying foul and saying this is a programming language then. But the that is not leading up to include an addition, it's leading up to include an exception. In this way it means that the scripting language is not a complete programming language - it cannot run on it's own, and is therefore not totally one.

Now, a way to analogize this to C++ is to say that in a way scripting is more of a base class - it is related to a programming language class but is is not a complete reference, it is not complete on its own when used alone.

So that's why I said lua is not a programming language - and if you disagree then fine I suppose, but at least be mature about it please. This isn't fast threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

19. Post #19
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts

Even though it is compiled into assembly, it still requires big amounts of CPU power and RAM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    Even though it is compiled into assembly, it still requires big amounts of CPU power and RAM.
    C++ does not require large amounts of processing power and RAM by default. You can make C++ wasteful yourself by abstracting the fuck out of it and using tonnes of convenient structures that you don't really need, but that's using C++ poorly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

21. Post #21
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Now, because the definition opens with "a programming language that...", some people are crying foul and saying this is a programming language then. But the that is not leading up to include an addition, it's leading up to include an exception. In this way it means that the scripting language is not a complete programming language - it cannot run on it's own, and is therefore not totally one.
    Where in the definition of a programming language is it specified that it needs to be able to run on its own?

Wikipedia posted:
    A programming language is an artificial language designed to express computations that can be performed by a machine, particularly a computer. Programming languages can be used to create programs that control the behavior of a machine, to express algorithms precisely, or as a mode of human communication.
    And actually it is an addition. The fact that a scripting language allows control of an application is a special property that programming languages do not necessarily have.

Additionally, I like how you're saying people are being immature here, yet you are the one coming up with stuff like this:

EDIT2: also, your title is missing a semi-colon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    Where in the definition of a programming language is it specified that it needs to be able to run on its own?
    It's the other way around - it's not that a programming language is defined to be able to run on it's own, it's that a scripting language is defined to not be able to run on its own.

A programming language can always control an application because it is the application. A scripting language is an extra layer that cannot be run on it's own - but can add functionality to an existing application that runs on its own.

EDIT: ie, I can write a C app that runs on it's own, and I can write it in any way to have control over itself - and I can add a layer of lua to add additional ways of controlling it. BUT, I cannot just use the lua on it's own - it needs the C, whereas the C does not need the lua.

Edited:

Additionally, I like how you're saying people are being immature here, yet you are the one coming up with stuff like this:
    That was a joke, it wasn't intended to be offensive. Sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,447 Posts
    I really was not expecting this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,023 Posts
    Alright, since everyone is clearly incredibly offended by my disagreement of lua being a programming language - let me clarify what I said in a language everyone here can understand (apologies for any 5AM spelling/grammar/other errors).

Lua is embedded - it has to be run in an interpreter, whether that be the standard one written in C or a custom one. The wikipedia definition of a scripting language says this, just as Overv quoted as well:

Now, a way to analogize this to C++ is to say that in a way scripting is more of a base class - it is related to a programming language class but is is not a complete reference, it is not complete on its own when used alone.

So that's why I said lua is not a programming language - and if you disagree then fine I suppose, but at least be mature about it please. This isn't fast threads.
    Well I'll be damned, here I was thinking that C# was a programming language but it clearly isn't because it can't run on its own, it needs an implementation of the CLR and the FCL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    April 2010
    2,354 Posts
    Well I'll be damned, here I was thinking that C# was a programming language but it clearly isn't because it can't run on its own, it needs an implementation of the CLR and the FCL.
    As far as im aware, dont all languages need something to turn them into executable code, or intermediate code?

Does that mean C isnt a programming language because you need an original implementation of a compiler in ASM?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,146 Posts
    Apparently ASM isn't a programming language either because it needs the CPU tpo interpret it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    As far as im aware, dont all languages need something to turn them into executable code, or intermediate code?

Does that mean C isnt a programming language because you need an original implementation of a compiler in ASM?
    I guess you could technically say so.

Apparently ASM isn't a programming language either because it needs the CPU tpo interpret it.
    No, that's dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,179 Posts
    I came here expecting content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,077 Posts
    Chryseus: I'm a hilight?! :3:

It's just a single H-bridge though, not a stepper driver, just a plain old DC motor driver.

As for content, I can post some of my stuff from the last thread, though I'm working on a few things again, so there'll probably be some new content sooner or later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

30. Post #30
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    I came here expecting content.
    Don't complain, post content.

Edited:

Would it be asking for too much if the banner was 10px narrower?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    648 Posts
    How would data transmission between an Arduino and PC work? Say if you wanted some sort of wireless communication, such as sending commands to your Arduino. Would you use ad-hoc 802.11 or is there some longer range, more suitable bits of equipment out there for that?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    510 Posts
    Anyone else have a Netduino Plus?
    I have one and its very nice, I like it better than my Arduino Duemilanove.
    It's backwards compatible with most Arduino shields and it uses .NET as the programming language.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

33. Post #33
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Anyone else have a Netduino Plus?
    I have one and its very nice, I like it better than my Arduino Duemilanove.
    It's backwards compatible with most Arduino shields and it uses .NET as the programming language.
    I have the regular Netduino. It's pretty cool, but I haven't played a lot with it yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,447 Posts
    Chryseus: I'm a hilight?! :3:

It's just a single H-bridge though, not a stepper driver, just a plain old DC motor driver.
    People who make analog stuff get extra points.
    Not that digital is bad, I just prefer analog since it takes much more effort to learn and make good things with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2010
    2,354 Posts
    Just to get the scope of these things, is it technically possible to write a program for it thatll convert a morse code input that you tap in externally, and then route it to a custom made IM client for the thing?

Not that thats a sensible idea

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,683 Posts
    Just to get the scope of these things, is it technically possible to write a program for it thatll convert a morse code input that you tap in externally, and then route it to a custom made IM client for the thing?

It's possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,015 Posts
    So what you're basically saying Java isn't a programming language
    Sure why not.
    Naw, Java is a programming language, sure but I wouldn't say Lua is.
    I guess I can't be like Overv and just search the wikipedia definition for everything.

What about C#?
    That's JIT iirc, and doesn't run in a VM. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts
    Yes, C# is an odd language, but does it really warrant coming in to a thread, ignoring someone's clearly worded reasoning and acting sarcastic and annoying?

Anyways, since there's no moving projects so far - here's one from the last thread I made a long time ago

The video quality is just awful due to the only video camera I had being my cellphone one at the time. The bluetooth module was a pain in the ass. There's threads all over the arduino forum trying to figure out how to program it - no joke, the recommended way for a long time has been to hit the reset button really fast when hitting the upload button. I was helping a guy in PMs for a while trying to get his timing right for hitting the reset button.

The project broke soon after because the RC car I modded was very clearly 200 years old, but now I'm gutting and rewiring this truck

it's really impressive mechanically but the electrical is just awful. It's got a single transistor turning the drive train so it can only go forwards or backwards - it has no speed control. That and it has the standard approach to steering: it uses a potentiometer and a DC motor connected to their own feedback controls rather than a servo motor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,179 Posts

With the new Uno chips, couldn't you make it even be detected/used as a keyboard? That'd be cool.

Edited:

^ My new project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,672 Posts
    Can I be added to the list? I own an Arduino Uno.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)