1. Post #4121
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    don't add any exercises
    just do SL 5x5 or SS and eat until you're about to vomit (if you vomit just eat it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

2. Post #4122
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    Well, can't I add SOMETHING? Like a bit of isolation?

3. Post #4123
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    no you will die
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4124
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,537 Posts
    Well, can't I add SOMETHING? Like a bit of isolation?
    I'm sure a good majority of this section will disagree with me. But in my experience (which I went from 6' 130lbs to 167lbs in the course of less than a year), I humbly suggest you ditch powerlifting routines such as SS and SL 5x5. They are both great programs if your goal is to lift as much weight as possible. However I really suggest a 5 day split or something of the like. I've never had to bulk/cut, I felt satisfied everyday I left the gym due to the volume of work I did, and I got great aesthetic results. People swear that you can get aesthetics from SS or SL, but I rarely see it. Normally I see kids just get fatter with huge lifting stats.

Like I said before, people will disagree with me, but I'm talking from my own personal experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #4125
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    if you don't want to get fat just eat slightly less?

6. Post #4126
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    I'm sure a good majority of this section will disagree with me. But in my experience (which I went from 6' 130lbs to 167lbs in the course of less than a year), I humbly suggest you ditch powerlifting routines such as SS and SL 5x5. They are both great programs if your goal is to lift as much weight as possible. However I really suggest a 5 day split or something of the like. I've never had to bulk/cut, I felt satisfied everyday I left the gym due to the volume of work I did, and I got great aesthetic results. People swear that you can get aesthetics from SS or SL, but I rarely see it. Normally I see kids just get fatter with huge lifting stats.

Like I said before, people will disagree with me, but I'm talking from my own personal experience.
    Does your asshole ever get jealous of the amount of shit that comes out of your mouth?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #4127
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,537 Posts
    Does your asshole ever get jealous of the amount of shit that comes out of your mouth?
    Are you saying that Starting Strength isn't a strength program? Or that 30 minutes in the gym doing 3 exercises will build anything but fat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #4128
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    Are you saying that Starting Strength isn't a strength program? Or that 30 minutes in the gym doing 3 exercises will build anything but fat?
    just shut up you have no idea how anything works in your body go back to the gym and do your 5x20 routine.

Can you recommend me a 12-week bulk-program? I don't want SL 5x5, or at least with added exercises

Edited:

Actually, I just want SL 5x5 with added exercises. NO body weight.
    just do starting strength practical programming . its p much perfect for a beginner quit being an idiot by thinking youre special

9. Post #4129
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    this is me when razzums posts lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV7Ub0GJUPI#t=4m15s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #4130
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,537 Posts
    just shut up you have no idea how anything works in your body go back to the gym and do your 5x20 routine.

just do starting strength practical programming . its p much perfect for a beginner quit being an idiot by thinking youre special
    Not 5x20. 3 sets 6-10 rep range 5 exercises a day 4-5 days a week with compounds and isolations.

11. Post #4131
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    dumb as a fuck

Edited:

prob have one of those "pro bb routines"" which even further consolidate how retarded you are

12. Post #4132
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,537 Posts
    dumb as a fuck

Edited:

prob have one of those "pro bb routines"" which even further consolidate how retarded you are
    Nope. I'm satisfied with my progress. Feel free to do whatever works best for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

13. Post #4133

July 2011
    185 Posts
    ... This is counterproductive for your goals. If you want growth in certain areas, you must achieve balance with the rest of your body. That's like expecting to make a bigger building with the same foundations. The building will fall, and so will you.

Go back to the basics, and you shall be rewarded. More than you can imagine.
    well i have been doing the basic workout routines for a while now and feel that i have plateaued in that area.

14. Post #4134
    June 2007
    1,656 Posts
    To the fucker not wanting to do SS 5x5.

Do babylovers ss. Its a updated and imo better version.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6328451&page=1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #4135
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,011 Posts
    Can you recommend me a 12-week bulk-program? I don't want SL 5x5, or at least with added exercises

Edited:

Actually, I just want SL 5x5 with added exercises. NO body weight.
    What's wrong with Strong Lifts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

16. Post #4136
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    Seriously guys, calm the fuck down.. I know you may thing that this attitude actually helps and stuff but in reality you just seem dumb. And i KNOW most of you know shitloads about this topic. So how about we quit the shit talking and actually listen to what people like Mr_Razzums have to say. Now, tomorrow I think I will be doing SL 5x5 with some added exercise. And no, I do not think that I am special. I have just plateued a LOT during the last couple of months I did SL 5x5. So now I will man up and eat stuff and hope it gets better.

17. Post #4137
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    no razzums is an idiot quit listening to him you plateau as a beginner because 99% of the time youre doing something wrong

18. Post #4138
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

19. Post #4139
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    Actually, I think it may be lack of proper restitution. I will bulk for 3 months and see how it goes.

20. Post #4140
    April 2008
    142 Posts
    I've always wondered this.

If you eat at maintenance and continued to lift for some time. Would you stay around the same weight but your bf% drops even if it is slow?

21. Post #4141
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,733 Posts

If you eat at maintenance and continued to lift for some time. Would you stay around the same weight but your bf% drops even if it is slow?
    I think that's what happens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

22. Post #4142
    October 2011
    930 Posts

Good question, I don't think your BF% and weight would really change much, as you'd be at maintenance, and generally you need a surplus/deficit to make a true difference. But, I'm probably wrong, so I'd wait to see what someone else says
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

23. Post #4143
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,733 Posts
    I think I'm going to start doing cardio again.

24. Post #4144
    January 2012
    289 Posts

youre creating a deficit with exercise

Edited:

I think I'm going to start doing cardio again.
    what are the specifics of the cardio youre wanting to do

25. Post #4145
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    Something here bugs me. I heard that SL 5x5 is good for bulking from one guy, and a second guy told me it was good for cutting.. Share me your knowledge, dear Facepunch.

26. Post #4146
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    quit being dumb , its a good beginner program for bulking and still decent for cutting . but i prefer starting strength practical programming. your desire for isolation exercises is retarded

27. Post #4147
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,733 Posts
    Thinking about regular distance jogging, I would like to do my heart a favor and try and drop another 2% BF. Caliper test in 7 places tell me im 10.4% body fat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

28. Post #4148
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Something here bugs me. I heard that SL 5x5 is good for bulking from one guy, and a second guy told me it was good for cutting.. Share me your knowledge, dear Facepunch.
    It's good for either. I explained this in the sticky, albeit in tl;dr manner, it doesn't really matter what you are doing, it's the caloric deficit or excess that determines whether you lose weight or gain weight.

Generally speaking however, strength programs are ideal for cutting, simply because most strength programs don't have a lot of volume, and therefore don't really place much stress on the body. Also it's quite easy to make strength gains while in a caloric deficit, but it's ridiculously hard to build muscle while in a deficit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

29. Post #4149
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    Thinking about regular distance jogging, I would like to do my heart a favor and try and drop another 2% BF. Caliper test in 7 places tell me im 10.4% body fat.
    what is your goal

30. Post #4150
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    527 Posts
    Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but do any of you have any experience with running in the cold? Going for a jog in a few hours and it's -19C.

31. Post #4151
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,367 Posts
    it can be pretty cold at times
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #4152
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    527 Posts
    Wow that absolutely sucked, fuck the cold. At least it will only be -15 tomorrow morning.

33. Post #4153
    December 2009
    693 Posts
    If SS is not a bodybuilding program, and it is designed for STRENGTH (albeit your muscles will grow), can someone tell me what is an example of a bodybuilding program?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Peru Show Events

34. Post #4154
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    SS is a hybrid program. A true strength program contains much more focus on main lifts, using percentages and very lower rep ranges, bands, chains and a lot of shit most people don't want to familiar themselves with.

A "bb" program, and I use brackets here to emphasize this a point of view thing, rather than a written fact. Not every rep range, exercise, volume or intensity will work the same for everybody. A bb program mostly consists of higher rep ranges, much more isolation work, lower rest times, more volume etc...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

35. Post #4155
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,733 Posts
    what is your goal
    10.4% bf down to 8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

36. Post #4156
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,378 Posts
    Is there anything wrong with how I do my routine? For just about every exercise I start out with a really low weight, sometimes I'll just do the bar weight, and do about 5 - 10 reps, sometimes twenty I'm feeling perky, then I increment by about 20lb, do five more, increment 30lb, do five more, then increment by 20lb and do five more, and I basically do that until I hit really high weights, then I do about 3 reps, and then I go for my 1RM.

I'm not sure if starting low and going up is helping me gain strength, or is lowering my 1RM. On my squats I have been going up about 20 or 30lb every time i get back to the gym, though I think I might be pushing myself. But that's the only place I'm seeing quick strength increases, my arms I'm only getting maybe 10 - 20lb increases on the bench press, and I'm not sure if this is a good pace, or too slow. I only recently started working out, so any advice is nice.

37. Post #4157
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    Is there anything wrong with how I do my routine? For just about every exercise I start out with a really low weight, sometimes I'll just do the bar weight, and do about 5 - 10 reps, sometimes twenty I'm feeling perky, then I increment by about 20lb, do five more, increment 30lb, do five more, then increment by 20lb and do five more, and I basically do that until I hit really high weights, then I do about 3 reps, and then I go for my 1RM.

I'm not sure if starting low and going up is helping me gain strength, or is lowering my 1RM. On my squats I have been going up about 20 or 30lb every time i get back to the gym, though I think I might be pushing myself. But that's the only place I'm seeing quick strength increases, my arms I'm only getting maybe 10 - 20lb increases on the bench press, and I'm not sure if this is a good pace, or too slow. I only recently started working out, so any advice is nice.
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404
    this right here is all you need to know about warmups.

now, about your rep regimen, i'd say look at all the other classic routines, understand what every set amount of reps means, rest time, intensity and volume means, and maybe then you could think about making your own routines... but, I'd say stick to Starting Strength if you're a beginner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

38. Post #4158
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,378 Posts
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404
    this right here is all you need to know about warmups.

now, about your rep regimen, i'd say look at all the other classic routines, understand what every set amount of reps means, rest time, intensity and volume means, and maybe then you could think about making your own routines... but, I'd say stick to Starting Strength if you're a beginner.
    Ah, thanks for the information. Seems like I should start up about the same, but do much higher increments. I do a bit more in my routine than the standard compounds, so I'm not sure about SS, though the concept seems alright. I'll probably try and warp my current routine to what I'm learning.

Thanks again.

39. Post #4159
    June 2007
    1,656 Posts
    455x2 on squats come at me small sons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #4160
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    i squat the earth