1. Post #401
    July 2010
    4,096 Posts
    what would run on a PII 266 w/ 80 mb of ram?

Edited:

run well i mean
    and i mean in terms of wms and des because i'm gonna shove debian or arch on this thing no matter what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #402
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts

Edited:

run well i mean
    and i mean in terms of wms and des because i'm gonna shove debian or arch on this thing no matter what
    Openbox would probably work well..Or DWM..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #403
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,716 Posts
    awesome.

It's about as lightweight as Openbox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events

4. Post #404
    May 2011
    1,651 Posts
    awesome.

It's about as lightweight as Openbox.
    I'm quite sure that it is lighter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

5. Post #405
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    I'm going to university to study Software Engineering and I need a new laptop (my current one overheats really easily and the battery is awful). Any recommendations for one, bearing in mind I will be using Linux? I was looking at this Thinkpad (Thinkpad T520). It looks very good and I am close to buying it due to the current sale.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #406
    October 2008
    446 Posts

Edited:

run well i mean
    I've had an old 400MHz machine (forgot the processor name) with about 256mb of ram and on Arch Linux it was struggling (80% of cpu !) while a LXDE session was run. It's running DSL now (I have no idea why my father installed such an outdated distro).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #407
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    832 Posts
    I've had an old 400MHz machine (forgot the processor name) with about 256mb of ram and on Arch Linux it was struggling (80% of cpu !) while a LXDE session was run. It's running DSL now (I have no idea why my father installed such an outdated distro).
    You should be happy that your dad even knows how to install linux :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #408
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,452 Posts
    I'm a noob to linux, and I want to dual boot a linux distro and W7 once I get around to building my computer. Which distro should I use and what would be the install order?

9. Post #409
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,062 Posts
    I'm a noob to linux, and I want to dual boot a linux distro and W7 once I get around to building my computer. Which distro should I use and what would be the install order?
    Ubuntu or Linux Mint are nice ones to start. Install W7 first, then the distro. It will ask you where to install the bootloader. Leave it at the default location, which should be the Windows MBR.

Or just use a VM, much less hassle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

10. Post #410
    December 2008
    18,452 Posts
    So GRUB would install over windows bootloader, correct?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #411
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,062 Posts
    So GRUB would install over windows bootloader, correct?
    Yes, it should also detect your Windows boot.

12. Post #412
    Dancing Member
    July 2009
    2,758 Posts
    Is Linux Mint a good distro to start with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #413
    December 2008
    18,452 Posts
    Alright, I'm first installing arch on a craptop. However I want to use the onboard VM that came with my usb installer. Will ~450MB of RAM be enough to run XP and virtualize arch?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #414
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Is Linux Mint a good distro to start with?
    Yes, probably the best one to be honest. It should work perfectly out-of-the-box.

Edited:

Alright, I'm first installing arch on a craptop. However I want to use the onboard VM that came with my usb installer. Will ~450MB of RAM be enough to run XP and virtualize arch?
    You'll not want anything else open, but yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #415
    December 2008
    18,452 Posts
    Well, it wasn't but that's fine. I'm just gonna do a complete fresh start, everything must go.

16. Post #416
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    I'm going to university to study Software Engineering and I need a new laptop (my current one overheats really easily and the battery is awful). Any recommendations for one, bearing in mind I will be using Linux? I was looking at this Thinkpad (Thinkpad T520). It looks very good and I am close to buying it due to the current sale.
    i have an x200 and it's dope
    i get ~9 hours of battery
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #417
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,589 Posts
    I have limited screen space on my netbook, so I want to configure awesome to always open Google Chrome so that it covers the entire screen. Not "full screen" because that gets rid of the tabs. What do I put in my config such that the window is resized to fill the screen?

18. Post #418
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,795 Posts
    Firefox has an option which allows you to prevent tab hiding when going into "full screen". Chrome doesn't?

19. Post #419
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Anyone know what font(s) I need to see the text here normally?

20. Post #420
    Gold Member

April 2011
    384 Posts
    Do you have Tahoma and Lucida Console?

21. Post #421
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Do you have Tahoma and Lucida Console?
    Not sure, how would I install them? winetricks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #422
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Not sure, how would I install them? winetricks?
    That would be one way to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #423
    Dancing Member
    July 2009
    2,758 Posts
    Yes, probably the best one to be honest. It should work perfectly out-of-the-box.
    So it detects windows and makes it dual-boot?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Norway Show Events

24. Post #424
    July 2011
    18 Posts
    So it detects windows and makes it dual-boot?
    I'm not sure if you're talking about GRUB. However, if you are, then no. You need to edit it's configuration file and add the Windows partition to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Lebanon Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    i have an x200 and it's dope
    i get ~9 hours of battery
    I think I'm going to go for the T520, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #426
    Dancing Member
    July 2009
    2,758 Posts
    I'm not sure if you're talking about GRUB. However, if you are, then no. You need to edit it's configuration file and add the Windows partition to it.
    Mint 11 has GRUB 2. But what do I have to do to choose between WBL and GRUB 2?

27. Post #427
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    Usually it detects it automatically. I know ubuntu does this pretty well. Mint should do the same. If mine is using the same autodetect scripts as ubuntu you don't need to worry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #428
    Dancing Member
    July 2009
    2,758 Posts
    Usually it detects it automatically. I know ubuntu does this pretty well. Mint should do the same. If mine is using the same autodetect scripts as ubuntu you don't need to worry.
    Awesome!

Also, same join date :respek:

29. Post #429
    October 2008
    446 Posts
    Augh, dwm looks so sweet but I can't seem to configure it properly and to my likings (probably because I never used tiling window managers).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Poland Show Events

30. Post #430
    January 2006
    5,716 Posts
    Awesome is a great tiling wm to start with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events

31. Post #431
    October 2009
    868 Posts
    I've been using Ubuntu for a while now, but recently I decided I want to try out another Linux distro. Is Fedora a good one, or do you Facepunchers recommend something else? I'm looking for a distro with the least content, but with something I can use to get software ala YUM.

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,241 Posts
    Arch

Edited:

I mean that's the first thing probably anyone here will answer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

33. Post #433
    January 2006
    5,716 Posts
    Look at this article:
    http://www.hikaro.com/linux/dns/why-...ver-linux.html

The grammar is perfect, its arguments are completely valid and backed up by real facts.

This guy is a retard...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #434
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,241 Posts
    Falco

if that's not a troll just leave him alone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

35. Post #435
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,379 Posts
    Look at this article:

The grammar is perfect, its arguments are completely valid and backed up by real facts.

This guy is a retard...

Might wanna be careful with /clue/, he might think its a command
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #436
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #437
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,062 Posts
    Look at this article:

This guy is a retard...
    Why, in Torvalds's name, is he not only comparing Linux to fucking XP but also claiming the latter is superior?

Honestly, can't people just collectively decide that both OS's serve different purposes and audiences?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #438
    January 2006
    5,716 Posts
    Why, in Torvalds's name, is he not only comparing Linux to fucking XP but also claiming the latter is superior?

Honestly, can't people just collectively decide that both OS's serve different purposes and audiences?
    There is one operating system that is better than all other OS'es in every imaginable aspect. And that is a ten-year-old product from Microsoft. (yeah right)

39. Post #439
    August 2009
    175 Posts
    Well, I tried installing Arch on my actual PC, instead of just using a VM. I did everything right, but I messed up when I tried to install the bootloader, so instead of going to GRUB and giving me a choice, it just boots straight to Windows.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #440
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    If you put the arch CD back in you can fix this fairly easily.

You should be able to start the grub command line utility
    Code:
    grub
    From there you'll need to run these:
    Code:
    root (hdX,Y)
    setup (hdA)
    Here's you'll need to swap A for the disk you want to install grub to (usually 0)
    You'll also need to replace X and Y by the disk number and partition number of your /boot partition (if you don't have one use the / partition)

Remember that grub counts disks and partitions starting from 0. So sda1 is (hd0,0) and so on.

If you're unsure of the partition number you can find it in the grub command line utility
    Code:
    # If you have a /boot partition
    find /grub/stage1
    # otherwise
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    You can run this before the stuff I posted above (in the grub command line util) you then need to replace (hdX,Y) with what the find command gave you. Also, you'll probably want to replace (hdA) with (hd0) since its you'll most likely want grub on the mbr of the first disk.

This may also help, if my explanations are confusing: http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/...ub_3.html#SEC9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)