1. Post #2041
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    What distro is the most lightweight and takes the least amount of time to start up?

Googling just leads me to "well try ububtu!!" but ubuntu is bloated and takes forever to start and i don't trust anyone's other suggestions when they just suggested ubuntu

Edited:

also i am a linux newbie so arch linux is terrifying
    TinyCore? It's the most lightweight graphical linux that uses aprox 10 MB space on your pendrive, and boots "instantly"

Edited:

Now I have a dilemma: I think I want to use ArchLinux as main/working os, do some programming and learn c++, and some playing and surfing on the net. I'm still on the lovely win7 with the best working drivers, the directx and all that stuff, but nowadays I don't do much gaming, and I think I want to leave windows, because I don't rely on games, I want to try out running a server, I want to try out the linux api, the qt api and all that useful and awesome stuff that linux gives for a programmer etc... What I will miss is the SourceSDK, and all that average windows stuff, but I'm sure I can find alternatives for everything, and I need motivation to do a longterm os change.

So, facepunch, do you recommed me ArchLinux, and if yes, could you show me some Pros/cons?

Oh and one thing: last time I installed Arch, I had a problem with Alsa, that it didn't detect automatically my headphone I always have plugged in, and the sound comes out of the on-board speaker that every pc has. Where can I change it, so the only sound output is the headphone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

2. Post #2042
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,686 Posts
    Yes I recommend Arch Linux, as long as you have a web browser open with the arch linux beginner guide somewhere while installing. As for the pros and cons:

Arch linux cons: You install and configure everything yourself.
    Arch linux pros: You install and configure everything yourself.

I personally love knowing exactly what's on my system and how it's configured, but for some people they'd rather just have something boot up and "work". If you are still genuinely interested in installing arch linux feel free to add me on steam and I'll be your linux guru.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #2043

July 2011
    614 Posts
    I am interested in trying Arch, but I am pretty sure I would fuck up when installing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Brazil Show Events

4. Post #2044
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    Try in a VM, you'll be able to get familiar with it, and if everything goes to hell no damage done since it's a VM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2045
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    I know how to install and setup Arch properly without the beginner guide, just I need some motivation to do it, and that's why I asked you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

6. Post #2046
    June 2010
    485 Posts
    So I installed Mint 12. Downloaded GPU drivers and enabled 2nd screen. Restarted the computer and taskbar was nowhere to be seen. Googled around 20 minutes with no results. Said fuck this shit and booted Windows and formatted the partition. Always shit like this when I try to install Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

7. Post #2047
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    I know how to install and setup Arch properly without the beginner guide, just I need some motivation to do it, and that's why I asked you.
    Well all the cool kids install arch on their boxes. That should be motivating enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

8. Post #2048
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    So I have var/www/ which is owned by root so me being on another user I can't write to it nor do anything else. How do I safely make sure that I can write to it but without giving write access to everyone else as well?

What I want to do is basically give my user (gab) write access to the files and folder so that I can create and put in files through WinSCP.

ls -l gives this:
    Code:
    d-w-r-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2011-12-28 16:08 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 2011-12-28 17:02 ../
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  177 2011-12-28 16:08 index.html
    As I understand the folder belongs to the group root.

Would it be safe to create a new group specifically for this folder and call it, say, developers and let it own the folder and files? And which user should be the actual owner of the files?
    If that's possible, could you tell me how it's done?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

9. Post #2049
    April 2008
    697 Posts
    Last question: Whenever I try to run something in wine, if I connect to a server in anything (Terraria, TF2) I experience masses of lag and shortly time out. This happens on everything, including LAN games. Any help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #2050
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    So I have var/www/ which is owned by root so me being on another user I can't write to it nor do anything else. How do I safely make sure that I can write to it but without giving write access to everyone else as well?

What I want to do is basically give my user (gab) write access to the files and folder so that I can create and put in files through WinSCP.

ls -l gives this:
    Code:
    d-w-r-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2011-12-28 16:08 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 2011-12-28 17:02 ../
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  177 2011-12-28 16:08 index.html
    As I understand the folder belongs to the group root.

Would it be safe to create a new group specifically for this folder and call it, say, developers and let it own the folder and files? And which user should be the actual owner of the files?
    If that's possible, could you tell me how it's done?
    Here's what's going on.
    If you create a file in a directory, the file is created with the user and group of the creator set.
    If you want to allow multiple users to write to one directory you can add them to a group and set the group of that directory to said group. People will be able to write there, but the user and group of whatever they make will be set to theirs. To make them have their group set to the parent group you need to set the setgid bit in the permissions for the directory (/dev/www in your case).

Here's an example:
    I have a directory with root:dev permissions where the group has rwx.
    bob and alice are in dev
    bob makes a file (bob1.txt) and alice makes a file (alice1.txt)
    alice1.txt has alice:alice as owner and group
    bob1.txt has bob:bob as owner and group

If we take the same situation, but the directory has the setgid flag set.
    alice1.txt has alice:dev for owner and group
    bob1.txt has bob:dev for owner and group
    This allows them to interact with each other's files.

Here's more information about this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid#...on_directories

You might want to look into the sticky bit if you don't want your users to mess with each other's shit.

11. Post #2051
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,965 Posts
    My strange mixed installation of gnome 3 and mint has fucked itself up. Without doing anything funky the last time I booted up the partition, I now get stuck at what looks like my login screen, but there's no username or password field, and I can't do anything. I tried control-alt-delete, and it asks me if I want to log out of "gnome configuration" or something along those lines. Logging out brings me to a black screen for a second or two, then right back in.

Does anyone have any idea as to what happened?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #2052
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    I just accidentally removed myself from the sudoers list (probably by changing my group) on Ubuntu and I don't know the password to any other account (nit even root). Do I have to reinstall?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Anonymous Proxy Show Events

13. Post #2053
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,686 Posts
    I just accidentally removed myself from the sudoers list (probably by changing my group) on Ubuntu and I don't know the password to any other account (nit even root). Do I have to reinstall?
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

14. Post #2054
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    What does that do exactly? Changes the root password?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Anonymous Proxy Show Events

15. Post #2055
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    What this will do is log you in as root and then change the password of a user (whichever you specify).

This would technically not fix your problem. Since you'll be logged in as root, instead of changing the password you can add yourself to the sudoers list. (I'm not sure for ubuntu, but normally you need to add yourself to the wheel group)

Edited:

Also, I might be able to help you out some more, if you post the results from.
    Code:
    cat /etc/group

16. Post #2056
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,017 Posts
    What this will do is log you in as root and then change the password of a user (whichever you specify).

This would technically not fix your problem. Since you'll be logged in as root, instead of changing the password you can add yourself to the sudoers list. (I'm not sure for ubuntu, but normally you need to add yourself to the wheel group)

Edited:

Code:
    cat /etc/group
    I had a similar problem on my SheevaPlug. I had no password to any account so I booted with "init=/bin/bash" and used passwd root. However, I messed up somewhere, because my /etc/passwd disappeared and now I log in as "I have no name!". Is there a way to regenerate a passwd file or am I fucked?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events

17. Post #2057
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    The /etc/passwd file contains the definitions for all the users.
    /etc/shadow contains the password hashes and some other information. You can try to recreate /etc/passwd using /etc/shadow, but you'll be missing information. For example, /etc/passwd contains the UIDs which are not located in /etc/shadow, so you'll be missing that information.

It seem possible but not feasible unless you have some utility to do it for you and even then it might not be able to do it.

Edited:

There might be a backup of the /etc/passwd file somewhere on the system. If not, you'll need to recreate all the users and assign then the propers UIDs, default groups, shell, etc. For the system to function without everything going to hell you'll need at the very least the right UID, default group and shell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #2058
    Stardust crusader
    March 2009
    2,846 Posts
    Just installed Ubuntu, an hour later I figure out how to get to the terminal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #2059
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts

Edited:

Code:
    cat /etc/group
    Code:
    root:x:0:
    daemon:x:1:
    bin:x:2:
    sys:x:3:
    adm:x:4:
    tty:x:5:
    disk:x:6:
    lp:x:7:
    mail:x:8:
    news:x:9:
    uucp:x:10:
    man:x:12:
    proxy:x:13:
    kmem:x:15:
    dialout:x:20:
    fax:x:21:
    voice:x:22:
    cdrom:x:24:
    floppy:x:25:
    tape:x:26:
    sudo:x:27:
    audio:x:29:
    dip:x:30:
    www-data:x:33:
    backup:x:34:
    operator:x:37:
    list:x:38:
    irc:x:39:
    src:x:40:
    gnats:x:41:
    shadow:x:42:
    utmp:x:43:
    video:x:44:
    sasl:x:45:
    plugdev:x:46:
    staff:x:50:
    games:x:60:
    users:x:100:
    nogroup:x:65534:
    libuuid:x:101:
    crontab:x:102:
    syslog:x:103:
    fuse:x:104:
    mysql:x:105:
    messagebus:x:106:
    mlocate:x:107:
    netdev:x:108:
    ssh:x:109:
    landscape:x:110:
    ssl-cert:x:111:postgres
    postgres:x:112:
    sambashare:x:113:
    tomcat6:x:114:
    winbindd_priv:x:115:
    ftp:x:116:ftp
    gab:x:1000:
    lpadmin:x:117:
    admin:x:118:
    vboxsf:x:1001:
    dev:x:1002:gab,www-data
    Edited:

Welp, I just formatted and started over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

20. Post #2060
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,447 Posts
    I'm sure you guys have heard about the Raspberry Pi. Would it be possible to use linux on the Raspberry Pi to take input through the RCA connector and output it through HDMI? Almost like a converter. Composite to VGA boxes are quite expensive but couldn't something like the Raspberry Pi be capable of this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #2061
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    7,908 Posts
    I'm sure you guys have heard about the Raspberry Pi. Would it be possible to use linux on the Raspberry Pi to take input through the RCA connector and output it through HDMI? Almost like a converter. Composite to VGA boxes are quite expensive but couldn't something like the Raspberry Pi be capable of this?
    That seems to more of a hardware problem, than a software one. The device would have to support input over the RCA connector, which I highly doubt it does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

22. Post #2062
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,447 Posts
    That seems to more of a hardware problem, than a software one. The device would have to support input over the RCA connector, which I highly doubt it does.
    Ah yes it probably doesn't, thanks for the help though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #2063
    April 2008
    697 Posts
    Last question: Whenever I try to run something in wine, if I connect to a server in anything (Terraria, TF2) I experience masses of lag and shortly time out. This happens on everything, including LAN games. Any help?
    Anyone? Happens on all wine stuff now, it always times out on everything

24. Post #2064
    August 2010
    858 Posts

Headphone is plugged in... Sound comes out of both PCM and Headphone, WHAT?!
    Used alsamixer, but it showed me that the headphone isn't plugged in(00) and can't change its volume (doesn't show anything ther), but if I change PCM's volume, both headphone's and pcm's volume goes down as you listen to it. If I mute PCM, headphone's volume also muted and master's too.
    What I want is to make Headphone output independent of PCM, so I don't have to take (violently) out the pc speaker.
    Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Hungary Show Events

25. Post #2065
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    Did you enable Independent HP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

26. Post #2066
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    There's no option for it. Or where can I find it?

Some thread wrote that in ubuntu's volumecontroll there's an option for it, but I can't find this option in arch's gnome3
    gnome-alsamixer, can't see headphone, checked settings and it should show it, but there isn't, there's a headphone checkbox that toggles muting the master

27. Post #2067
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    Scroll right in alsamixer, it should be there

Unless it's because I'm apparently using drivers that I'm not supposed to be using

28. Post #2068
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    Scroll right in alsamixer, it should be there
    Nothing, these are the only controls.

Also weird, when I start alsamixer, the "-default" soundcard device it shows is the PulseAudio with only one control and nothing more, but I can switch between the soundcards with F6 to HDA Intel. Does it conflicts with my audio?

Edit: $ lspci | grep -i "audio"
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    This is my card if it helps

29. Post #2069
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    What, you're using pulseaudio? Why are you in alsamixer?

30. Post #2070
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts
    My father is interested in trying out Linux and he recently got a new laptop. The specifications are quite old and he was wondering what Linux distro would be suitable for him. I am using OpenSUSE.

His specifications are:

Dual Core 1.6Ghz
    1.5 GB RAM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

31. Post #2071
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    Arch

Edited:

Some *Box WM, or alternatively just get LXDE.

32. Post #2072
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,530 Posts
    Mint would work fine, I'm using it on a 1.6GHz 1GB RAM netbook.

33. Post #2073
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts
    Would OpenSUSE be a possibility?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2074
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Would OpenSUSE be a possibility?
    Yes.

35. Post #2075
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,374 Posts
    Is there a way to mount a USB as executable in Arch? I use securstick and I get "Permission Denied" when running it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #2076
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    I think that when you mount a fat32 file system the executable flag is set by default on all files.

Also, securstick seems to be only for windows, how are you running it?

Edited:

Apparently, I was wrong, it does support linux. I still need to know how you're running it.

37. Post #2077
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,374 Posts
    I think that when you mount a fat32 file system the executable flag is set by default on all files.

Also, securstick seems to be only for windows, how are you running it?

Edited:

Apparently, I was wrong, it does support linux. I still need to know how you're running it.
    With the linux binary. Double clicking in thunar just opens a new windows in the same directory and running via terminal gives me the "permission denied" error, even with sudo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #2078
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    With the linux binary. Double clicking in thunar just opens a new windows in the same directory and running via terminal gives me the "permission denied" error, even with sudo.
    Change the ownership of it. 'user' is the user that will own the folder, 'group' is the default usergroup and '/mnt/USB' is the mount point for the USB.

Code:
    sudo chown user:group /mnt/USB

39. Post #2079
    July 2009
    1,266 Posts
    If it's a USB stick it should be formated with fat32 or ntfs. In that case, changing the owner and group of the mount point shouldn't do anything.

I have a few questions for FLamingSpaz.

First, how are you mounting the USB stick?

Second, run this and post the results:
    Code:
    ls -la /mnt/USB
    Where /mnt/USB is where ever your USB stick is mounted.

40. Post #2080
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,374 Posts
    Code:
    drwx------ 2 yousef users 4096 Jan  1  1970 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root   root   100 Jan  2 10:56 ..
    Edited:

I just plug in the USB and Thunar auto-mounts it for me I think.