1. Post #2281
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,453 Posts
    Ok, so I tried using unetbootin to install these things to my USB key, and I got slightly better results. DSL, TinyCore and SliTaz all have this weird problem where it works for about 2 seconds, then freezes for 5, then works for 2 and so on, and xPud just failed to even boot. Puppy got further; it was working pretty much flawlessly, except it doesn't seem to support 1920x1080 screens and every other resolution had a weird combination of wrong aspect ratio and black bars on the sides. I'm tempted to just put Arch on there and give up with the idea of a Linux distro running from RAM, they all seem far too much effort to get working...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #2282
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    I can't code to save my life, but PC repair is a part of my daily life, and I'm only as good as the tools I possess. While my project is nothing too extravagant, I've been putting together an "All-in-one" multiboot USB stick for general PC repair. Most modern PCs can boot from USB, and it is alot more convenient than carrying a cakebox of CDs and DVDs, which are easily damaged, and rely on mechanical hardware. Discs also take significantly longer to boot from. This multiboot USB stick was created with YUMI, which you can download here: Y.U.M.I. Multiboot USB Creator

I have extensively edited the menu systems to my liking, essentially re-writing most of them. All the artwork was made by me in Photoshop CS5. The modified Nyan Cat is copyright PRguitarman: http://www.prguitarman.com/index.php?id=348

My current on-going project of the past month:

[release]MediCat Emergency Disk System

Boot into Various Linux distros (I currently use Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Mint).
    Can boot into the Windows 7 installer
    Various anti-virus scanners
    Disc partitioning and cloning tools
    Hiren's Boot CD + Mini XP
    Ultimate Boot CD
    Pentesting tools for cracking and monitoring network traffic
    Reset and/or recover Windows user account passwords (NT/XP/Vista/7/8DP)
    GRUB and GRUB 2 repair
    PC backup and recovery
    Offline registry editor[/release]

I have personally tested and successfully booted everything on this drive. When I am satisfied with the progress of this project, I will release this as opensource, without the distros and ISOs. It will contain only the modified menus (text files) and artwork (.PSD file).

[release]Screenshots of Menu actions:

[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2283
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    Gentlemen\women, it seems I'm having an issue with my Linux installation.

I am (was) running Ubuntu 10.10 x86_64 with pretty much vanilla setup, using the ATI proprietary drivers. It was running fine this morning, then I went onto windows 7 for a bit. When I restarted back to use linux again, it wouldn't boot. The system was locked up to such a degree that even the kernel-level keyboard shortcuts did not respond and the computer wouldn't reset when I pressed the physical reset button.

After doing some fiddling in the recovery console, updating packages and trying out some commands I've reached the conclusion that my x server is fucked. Whether that's as a result of the drivers or not I'm not sure -- but when I run "vesa" drivers in xorg.conf, x starts fine but in a shit resolution; or when I use "fglrx" drivers it won't boot but hangs my system.

I posted my most recent xorg log to a linux friend but he didn't seem to find anything of note in there. I'm hoping this problem will resolve itself as quickly as it developed itself, but if it doesn't, any tips?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

4. Post #2284
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    Post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, then we can help you...

(Also there's a troubleshooting section at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

5. Post #2285
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,688 Posts
    The system was locked up to such a degree that even the kernel-level keyboard shortcuts did not respond and the computer wouldn't reset when I pressed the physical reset button.
    I had a similar problem, I just had to add
    Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
    EndSection
    to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and everything started working properly again. This is what the rest of my config file looks like (Be aware that mouse and keyboard are added): http://j.mp/zNa8gs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

6. Post #2286
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    I just spent a good hour, after having installed a new xfce/gtk2 theme on my arch box, troubleshooting why I could select the theme, and it would apply it, but without any of the resources (I.E. the positioning of various buttons and windows was changed, but the theme itself was not applied) After installing and re installing various gtk engines (which I had to begin with) I for some reason opened Thunar as root, and lo and behold that window had the theme applied. I looked online and realized my themes folder might not have read permissions set to all, and after a recursive chmod it all works flawlessly. Linux and I are still on speaking terms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #2287
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    I shall install Arch tomorrow (because I miss it) and dualbooting it with win7 (so I can use msOfficeAccess safely)

My plans are:
    -Awesome as WM
    -Slim as login manager
    -base-devel packages
    -Everything in a minimal Arch theme
    -opera
    -nano/gedit
    -cli apps and mpd
    -sfml, so I will work on my C++ game project again
    -urxvt
    -???

Is there anything else that a programmer would need in his/her environment?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

8. Post #2288
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I shall install Arch tomorrow (because I miss it) and dualbooting it with win7 (so I can use msOfficeAccess safely)

My plans are:
    -Awesome as WM
    -Slim as login manager
    -base-devel packages
    -opera
    -nano/gedit
    -cli apps and mpd
    -urxvt
    -gdb
    -valgrind
    -boost
    -CMake or Boost.Build (I write project files for both)
    -???

Just a few suggestions. I use these everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #2289
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,144 Posts
    GDB and valgrind are must-haves, CMake is questionable and rather large.

Edited:

and you need make regardless of whether or not you want CMake (althought it might be in base-devel)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2290
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts

My plans are:
    -Awesome as WM
    -Slim as login manager
    -base-devel packages
    -opera
    -nano/gedit
    -cli apps and mpd
    -urxvt
    -???

Vim.
    Screw nano and gedit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2291
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    gvim > *

Edited:

also emacs is for losers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2292
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,144 Posts
    gvim > *

Edited:

also emacs is for losers
    Emacs is a nice OS, just lacks a decent text editor.

Of course, you could run vim under it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

13. Post #2293
    April 2011
    384 Posts
    Any tips on CentOS 6.2?

Anything goes, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

14. Post #2294
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    gvim > *

Edited:

also emacs is for losers
    Can gwim do syntax highlighting, auto-tabbing and auto-completing even from user defined hpp files?
    If yes, then I will use/learn it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

15. Post #2295
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,144 Posts
    Can gwim do syntax highlighting, auto-tabbing and auto-completing even from user defined hpp files?
    vim*

I believe you could write a script for that. Vim has autocomplete facilities, as well as auto-indent (if that's what you mean by auto-tabbing) and syntax highlighting is obviously a function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #2296
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    yes yes and yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #2297
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts
    Sorry to interrupt the plaintext editor war, but I forgot to upload a picture of the theme I labored so hard to enable.
    Here is the deviant art page for it if anyone else likes the looks of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #2298
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    Well, it seems like my problem has been magically resolved just as quickly as it arose. I'm hoping it won't return.

Post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, then we can help you...

(Also there's a troubleshooting section at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI)
    In recovery mode I used links to upload a couple of logs to a friend, but Xorg.0.log was zero bytes. Xorg.0.log.old had content but it wasn't from any point when x was crashing, it was when I'd changed the driver in xorg.conf to "vesa" manually instead of "fglrx" and ran startx in tty6 (tty7 was a blank screen).

I had a similar problem, I just had to add
    Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
    EndSection
    to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and everything started working properly again. This is what the rest of my config file looks like (Be aware that mouse and keyboard are added): http://j.mp/zNa8gs
    My xorg.conf is just this, which looks pretty much like a default. Given it's working now, do you still think it's worthwhile including that section?
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load	"glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Default Device"
    	Driver	"fglrx"
    EndSection
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #2299
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,688 Posts
    No, it appears to be a work-around. You shouldn't include it if the problem has resolved itself.

20. Post #2300
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    I've recently reinstalled Arch (from Debian) and I'm having some real issues. Firstly, my / partition is being mounted read-only, causing all sorts of problems until I remount it as read-write. Secondly, my fstab file looks odd:

Code:
    # 
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information
    #
    # <file system>	<dir>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
    tmpfs		/tmp	tmpfs	nodev,nosuid	0	0
    UUID=2943ba53-bf5c-455d-aa74-00abf1811d8d / ext3 defaults 0 1
    UUID=5bbfc6f8-b041-4deb-8f2a-7281d34c4fdf /home ext3 defaults 0 1
    UUID=8bfbf145-e2b9-4367-90b2-62054d0dd738 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
    UUID=dc78a590-010e-4c16-ac5a-3d94aa6ec6c2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    And if I run "df":

Code:
    Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs           7566432 2254812   4927268  32% /
    /dev             1966340       0   1966340   0% /dev
    /run             1969184     240   1968944   1% /run
    /dev/sda3        7566432 2254812   4927268  32% /
    shm              1969184       0   1969184   0% /dev/shm
    Can anyone help? What's going on here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #2301
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    Your fstab is naming them by UUIDs rather than /dev/sdxy, which is better and more secure. I do notice that your df doesn't show /home or /boot as mounted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

22. Post #2302
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    It's odd, this is just a standard Arch install, or so I thought. Indeed, my home isn't being mounted. My home directory shows 4.7GB being available, it should be 300.

Output of fdisk -l:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00022674

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *          63      208844      104391   83  Linux
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    /dev/sda2          208845      738989      265072+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    /dev/sda3          738990    16113194     7687102+  83  Linux
    Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    /dev/sda4        16113195   625137344   304512075   83  Linux
    Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #2303
    [h2]AND MY ACKSH[/h2]
    June 2009
    3,958 Posts
    what's a nice stable distro that I can dual-boot with Arch? I need something that will always work. Maybe not as stable as Debian, but something that will hold up that I can use for general work/browsing that I won't have to fuck around with. I'll keep Arch for experimentation.

24. Post #2304
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    what's a nice stable distro that I can dual-boot with Arch? I need something that will always work. Maybe not as stable as Debian, but something that will hold up that I can use for general work/browsing that I won't have to fuck around with. I'll keep Arch for experimentation.
    debian testing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

25. Post #2305
    [h2]AND MY ACKSH[/h2]
    June 2009
    3,958 Posts
    -snip-

ok i'll get that

26. Post #2306
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,625 Posts
    I've recently reinstalled Arch (from Debian) and I'm having some real issues. Firstly, my / partition is being mounted read-only, causing all sorts of problems until I remount it as read-write. Secondly, my fstab file looks odd:

Code:
    # 
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information
    #
    # <file system>	<dir>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
    tmpfs		/tmp	tmpfs	nodev,nosuid	0	0
    UUID=2943ba53-bf5c-455d-aa74-00abf1811d8d / ext3 defaults 0 1
    UUID=5bbfc6f8-b041-4deb-8f2a-7281d34c4fdf /home ext3 defaults 0 1
    UUID=8bfbf145-e2b9-4367-90b2-62054d0dd738 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
    UUID=dc78a590-010e-4c16-ac5a-3d94aa6ec6c2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    And if I run "df":

Code:
    Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs           7566432 2254812   4927268  32% /
    /dev             1966340       0   1966340   0% /dev
    /run             1969184     240   1968944   1% /run
    /dev/sda3        7566432 2254812   4927268  32% /
    shm              1969184       0   1969184   0% /dev/shm
    Can anyone help? What's going on here?
    Every partition has a Unique Universal ID which never changes, whereas their /dev/sdxx designation can change spontaneously, or when you put a new hard drive in.

This is less easy to use I suppose but more robust and less likely to fail.

Go to /dev/disk/by-uuid and do an ls -l to find your disks' UUIDs. Since they can be long as fuck I prefer to:

Code:
    stephen@fpc /dev/disk/by-uuid $ sudo -s
    [sudo] password for stephen: 
    fpc by-uuid # cd /dev/disk/by-uuid
    fpc by-uuid # ls -l
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2012-01-29 12:05 2A0894200893E8D9 -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2012-01-29 12:05 2AE827BBE82783E3 -> ../../sda2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2012-01-29 12:05 2cefad83-796b-4179-b511-c2ed88f793a6 -> ../../sda6
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2012-01-29 12:05 3065a00f-a6f3-4883-aede-b004752da363 -> ../../sda5
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2012-01-29 12:05 e2b85109-8b33-41e5-86d4-e9d2e3c54981 -> ../../sda7
    fpc by-uuid # ls 2cef* >> /etc/fstab
    fpc by-uuid #
    That'll paste the UUID of the drive I selected into the end of my fstab. Then I can move it around in GNU Nano.

27. Post #2307
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,563 Posts

My plans are:
    -Awesome as WM
    -Slim as login manager
    -base-devel packages
    -opera
    -nano/gedit
    -cli apps and mpd
    -urxvt
    -???

I just found out about cairo-compmgr. Same functionality as xcompmgr but it works better with awesome and has even more eye candy options.

Edited:

Arch is perfectly stable so long as you avoid pacman -Syu when you have something important to do on your computer. I've never had stability problems with Arch, only upgrading difficulties (and even then never anything system-breaking).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #2308
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,133 Posts
    I'm playing with TinyCore. It's a fun little distro to play with.

29. Post #2309
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,969 Posts
    I'm playing with TinyCore. It's a fun little distro to play with.
    My dad has that. It boots in like 5 seconds.

Other than that, I just installed Linux Mint 12. Sooooo nice.

30. Post #2310
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    My dad has that. It boots in like 5 seconds.

Other than that, I just installed Linux Mint 12. Sooooo nice.
    It's even better when you install Cinnamon, and remove Gnome 3 and Mate. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

31. Post #2311
    June 2008
    3,445 Posts
    Naelstrom is so helpful. For the first time ever, Arch is running on my belligerent little Acer.

32. Post #2312
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,969 Posts
    Well poo, I got 32-bit instead of 64-bit
    I'll have to deal with that tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #2313
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,846 Posts
    How to make morons think you're hacking:
    1) Go get development version of jQuery, copypaste it
    2) Open SSH to development machine
    3) Too lazy to do anything smart, open up nano, shift-insert, takes like a minute or more for it to paste it because of all the line breaks and extra shit in the development version of jQuery (normal, production version pastes in like 5 seconds).
    4) Fullscreen SSH
    5) Chill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

34. Post #2314
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    3) Too lazy to do anything smart, open up nano, shift-insert, takes like a minute or more for it to paste it because of all the line breaks and extra shit in the development version of jQuery (normal, production version pastes in like 5 seconds).
    4) Fullscreen SSH
    5) Chill
    I was once working with gentoo on a netbook in school.
    Yea.
    People started talking about how I must've been hacking the national bank.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #2315
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,144 Posts
    So many people at our school use irssi on a remote shell that nobody even bothers asking what it is anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

36. Post #2316
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,991 Posts
    4) Fullscreen SSH
    5) Chill
    Code:
    find / -name "*.c" -exec cat {} \;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #2317
    Strong Member
    January 2007
    8,019 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

38. Post #2318
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,144 Posts
    Hacker Typer was down at one point because everyone was Hacker Typing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #2319
    August 2010
    858 Posts
    Just telling it works, and thanks for suggestions (also installed cairo-compmgr)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Hungary Show Events

40. Post #2320
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    4) Fullscreen SSH
    5) Chill
    just cat your hard drives. fancy beeping included, free of charge!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events