1. Post #10121
    January 2009
    2,077 Posts
    "finished" this but forgot to post it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

2. Post #10122
    July 2009
    382 Posts
    I can't stop watching it.

Also, Toastador, that looks great! I really like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #10123
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    I really like looking at other people's character design, it's interesting to see what people come up with.

These all look pretty nice, however there are a few things I'd like to point out, if you don't mind me doing so.

Sarah's boobs are a little high up in that picture. I think you were trying to fit them in because drawing part of a body part is kind-of weird, even if you were doing it subconsciously.

Also, I don't know exactly what you meant by black. As a person who's part black I can prettymuch tell you that if you're any part black people will just call you "black", so I don't know if it matters story-wise, but I'd like to point out that even if she is black, in your picture she rather:

A. Straightens and then curls her hair (not uncommon)
    B. Isn't entirely black.

People who are half black get "biracial hair" which pretty-much ranges from this to this.

-

Curly hair is a dominant trait, and the mix between really curly and straight hair is usually still pretty curly. But, with biracial people you can get random genes here and there that are more expressed on one side and less expressed on another. For instance, darker skin but more wavy hair. So, that's what your character made me think of.

So I thought I might let you know that. It could add or subtract some story elements you were thinking of, just based on your character's hair.

The More You Know
    Actually, I clearly didn't have on mind to make Sarah as a full black character, more someone with a dark skin/tan and some facial features that come from parents with different ethnics. Though I can still try to make the hair more curly for example, like you suggested. I know how to draw black characters, but I wanted to draw her differently from the rest. Hope you didn't mind that.

But in any case, I like your post. It's really informative and useful.

Also yeah for the breasts, it's a mistake from me. Thanks for pointing out anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #10124
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts
    HNNG it feels like a lost cause. I'm really new to using layers and shit and fuck it I have no plan or strategy at all so far as to how I'd best use photoshop to draw with. Like I made the outlines of the body and then gradually erased it wherever I drew armor on a layer on top of it. It didn't feel very smart as it is highly destructive editing.

wat do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

5. Post #10125
    July 2009
    382 Posts
    Actually, I clearly didn't have on mind to make Sarah as a full black character, more someone with a dark skin/tan and some facial features that come from parents with different ethnics. Though I can still try to make the hair more curly for example, like you suggested. I know how to draw black characters, but I wanted to draw her differently from the rest. Hope you didn't mind that.

But in any case, I like your post. It's really informative and useful.

Also yeah for the breasts, it's a mistake from me. Thanks for pointing out anyway
    Thank you, and it's fine. I don't think that people should be restricted when it comes to stuff like that (making a unique-looking character). It's just I wasn't entirely sure what you were going for so I'd figured I'd let you know either way. Just trying to help out.

Are you planning on making that into a whole series of some sort, or are those just idea-forming sketches?

HNNG it feels like a lost cause. I'm really new to using layers and shit and fuck it I have no plan or strategy at all so far as to how I'd best use photoshop to draw with. Like I made the outlines of the body and then gradually erased it wherever I drew armor on a layer on top of it. It didn't feel very smart as it is highly destructive editing.

-snip-

wat do
    Now you can draw all of the stuff over it, and then shade all of the armor and stuff. Or really whatever way works best for you, I'm just suggesting what I'd do but I'm no pro at it.

I, personally, wouldn't have shaded the body underneath, but that's an interesting concept, it probably helps you figure out the form of the armor a little bit more, which could help the overall believability of the finished image a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

6. Post #10126
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    I think this should be placed here

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #10127
    July 2009
    382 Posts

I finished it for you, you forgot the elephants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

8. Post #10128
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    If somebody else wants to finish another one..

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

9. Post #10129
    May 2008
    684 Posts

Did a quick drawing of Devimon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

10. Post #10130
    July 2009
    382 Posts
    If somebody else wants to finish another one..

Don't make this a habit, there's no excuse to not finish your drawings.

Yep, I'm done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #10131
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    Thank you, and it's fine. I don't think that people should be restricted when it comes to stuff like that (making a unique-looking character). It's just I wasn't entirely sure what you were going for so I'd figured I'd let you know either way. Just trying to help out.

Are you planning on making that into a whole series of some sort, or are those just idea-forming sketches?
    I plan on making a comic soon (on a fictional 50-60's universe with cold war/robots/adventure thema), a personal project that I have on mind since several years, though the biggest thing I need to do before is to practise more on dynamic poses and backgrounds, to make the reading more enjoyeable for everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

12. Post #10132
    July 2009
    382 Posts
    I plan on making a comic soon (on a fictional 50-60's universe with cold war/robots/adventure thema), a personal project that I have on mind since several years, though the biggest thing I need to do before is to practise more on dynamic poses and backgrounds, to make the reading more enjoyeable for everyone.
    I'd be happy to read it once it comes out!

I've been thinking of making a web-series type of a thing lately, but I definitely need more landscape/environment practice, work on bodies, Creature design, etc. before I feel I'd be near ready for that.

And knowing me I'd dump it randomly for "bigger and better things".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #10133
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,347 Posts

Did a quick drawing of Devimon.
    Is that a Shrunkenheadman logo on his knee?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #10134
    May 2008
    684 Posts
    Is that a Shrunkenheadman logo on his knee?
    Haha, no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #10135
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    5,954 Posts
    Just screwin' around.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #10136
    December 2011
    54 Posts
    I want to be able to draw like this again:

So I'm starting a sketchbook to do every day. Practice makes perfect. Sketch 1 Day 1: my pappy

C&C enouraged. I need pointers and tips to progress
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9 (list)

17. Post #10137
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,988 Posts

wat do
    I don't work digitally for now, but I assume workflow for single figures with no bg or anything would go:

Layer: rough pose sketch, work in grey or something

New layer: Draw figure properly over sketch, naked

Another new layer: Add clothes/details/whatever

Then to refine all the stray lines or what have you you could hit Save As so you have another copy, then destructive editing won't be as issue since you have all the layer in their finished states sitting there as backup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

18. Post #10138
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,139 Posts
    Its not real. This is only a side view as well lol.
    It doesn't matter if it's not real. Most weapons in games are not real yet they are designed on the same principles to make them look believeable in their universe. That's like drawing a person really badly and then going "but it's fantasy!!1". There are certain rules and guidelines for creating different things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #10139
    December 2011
    54 Posts

another thing on the intuos i got, a steampunk style gat, not too bothered about this one.
    Now I know fuck all about weapons, but here's my two cents

Take a look at this gun from district 9,

There are a lot of similarities in your weapon and this one, both are imaginary and would not work in real life but practicality is main separating factor here. Look at all the little attachments on this gun. The cylindrical canisters have no stated purpose, but their purpose can be inferred as being ammunition. They appear to actually serve a purpose rather than being a decoration. Your gun seems to be drenched with cloth, glowing ovals, and other completely useless features. For instance, the shoulder shock-absorber thing (the actual term here completely escapes me at the moment) doesn't seem very practical. It seems to start wide and then taper into a small point. If you were to shoot this gun with the butt resting where it should when firing, it'd fucking hurt. It's tiny and appears sharp on one end. A functional gun must also have a straight barrel in which to fire from, yours appears crooked. (yes, I know the D9 gun features a crooked tube, which probably isn't the barrel, and the gun probably doesn't fire bullets. If I remember correctly, the gun was some kind of flame thrower or something. Yours's muzzle implies that it fires regular bullets like most guns)

A good way to fix this is to be very deliberate in designing it. I understand that steampunk is very style-oriented but you must also consider, "Would this gun be able to fire correctly?", "Does this attachment help or hinder efficient use?", "Can this gun be held reasonably?"

Drawing the gun from many perspectives also helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

20. Post #10140
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    Well then.. Here's something awesomely shitty I've drawn

I really want to get into drawing more.. only if I could find me some concentration
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

21. Post #10141
    October 2009
    579 Posts
    WIP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

22. Post #10142
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,186 Posts
    Now I know fuck all about weapons, but here's my two cents

Take a look at this gun from district 9,

There are a lot of similarities in your weapon and this one, both are imaginary and would not work in real life but practicality is main separating factor here. Look at all the little attachments on this gun. The cylindrical canisters have no stated purpose, but their purpose can be inferred as being ammunition. They appear to actually serve a purpose rather than being a decoration. Your gun seems to be drenched with cloth, glowing ovals, and other completely useless features. For instance, the shoulder shock-absorber thing (the actual term here completely escapes me at the moment) doesn't seem very practical. It seems to start wide and then taper into a small point. If you were to shoot this gun with the butt resting where it should when firing, it'd fucking hurt. It's tiny and appears sharp on one end. A functional gun must also have a straight barrel in which to fire from, yours appears crooked. (yes, I know the D9 gun features a crooked tube, which probably isn't the barrel, and the gun probably doesn't fire bullets. If I remember correctly, the gun was some kind of flame thrower or something. Yours's muzzle implies that it fires regular bullets like most guns)

A good way to fix this is to be very deliberate in designing it. I understand that steampunk is very style-oriented but you must also consider, "Would this gun be able to fire correctly?", "Does this attachment help or hinder efficient use?", "Can this gun be held reasonably?"

Drawing the gun from many perspectives also helps.
    you're looking for the word "stock"
    I'd also like to add that if you held the grip of his gun with your entire palm then you couldn't reach the trigger with your index finger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

23. Post #10143
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,032 Posts
    one day will you go and study something? anything. please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #10144
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,139 Posts
    The bolt is on the wrong side of the gun (especially since she is right-handed). And rifles don't usually have handgrips, but that's your choice. Just don't add one because you can't be bothered to redraw the hand holding the rifle's stock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

25. Post #10145
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    finger off the trigger.
    gun anatomy is horrible as trigger mechanism is inside the magazine unless it's an one shot wonder. That lower tube does nothing but being a dead weight and half the right tight is 20m wide.
    wont even go into human anatomy

but i don't know why I write this since you have always loved ignoring everything but praise on your generic wimmins

check proportions do studies and god damn research the things you are draw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #10146
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,723 Posts
    I don't work digitally for now, but I assume workflow for single figures with no bg or anything would go:

Layer: rough pose sketch, work in grey or something

New layer: Draw figure properly over sketch, naked

Another new layer: Add clothes/details/whatever

Then to refine all the stray lines or what have you you could hit Save As so you have another copy, then destructive editing won't be as issue since you have all the layer in their finished states sitting there as backup.
    Thank YOU I shall do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #10147
    What i got from dicking around with gradients in GIMP:

Both were based on the cinematic pillars from the fascist segments of Roger Waters's The Wall tour.

Edited:

Shaded it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #10148
    September 2011
    354 Posts
    What i got from dicking around with gradients in GIMP:

Both were based on the cinematic pillars from the fascist segments of Roger Waters's The Wall tour.

Edited:

Shaded it.
    with the amount of effort that must have took im considering making a "creative work that doesn't deserve a post" thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #10149
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,988 Posts
    Man it didn't even enter my head that this was a gun, I thought it was a nice abstract piece

gun anatomy is horrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #10150
    July 2010
    2,119 Posts
    Why
    the
    FUCK
    is the Bamboo's usb cable so fucking short.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #10151
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    Why
    the
    FUCK
    Get closer to the pc man, you need to hug it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #10152
    March 2010
    5,091 Posts
    Why
    the
    FUCK
    I can't believe I didn't realize this yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

33. Post #10153
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I squashed this into a space 4cm high maybe this wasn't a good idea.

What should I do to make it look better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

34. Post #10154
    May 2011
    2,016 Posts

Do you have thick black markers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

35. Post #10155
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,186 Posts

that's adorable!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

36. Post #10156
    December 2011
    917 Posts
    What do you guys think of my avater?

Only took like 5 minutes but I like it.

Edited:

Why is my avatar size squished to 64x64, I thought it was 80x80?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

37. Post #10157
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Do you have thick black markers?
    Aye, I should be using them then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #10158
    July 2010
    2,119 Posts
    What do you guys think of my avater?

Only took like 5 minutes but I like it.

Edited:

Why is my avatar size squished to 64x64, I thought it was 80x80?
    It's too dark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #10159
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,058 Posts
    2 hours. It's the best I've done in a long time.
    I'd like some C&C on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #10160
    December 2011
    54 Posts
    Err.. I wish I could call this a "chair study" but I don't think a singular angle qualifies as a study

C&C encouraged
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)