1. Post #1
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    This is my first released version of a version of the Mass Effect's Presidium I made.

This is not meant to be an exact replica.

There are several Episode 2 foliage props in the map. That's all. Everything else is pakratted

THIS IS MY FIRST EVER MAP RELEASE!

Media Dump:

V1 Images:

Download Link can be found here: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=121855

Also a HUGE thanks to Aspen for the sexy textures you see before you! He made all the textures you see in there - not me! Cheers man!

I would appreciate any feedback on any bugs, glitches etc as I may fix it up and release a version two in the future.

Cheers for reading, and I hope you enjoy my first release!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King x 35Artistic x 4Winner x 3Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    4,900 Posts
    Very nice work.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    Throwing this up on my server right now (while I wait for a slow dude in Frozen Synapse). Great work, man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2011
    34 Posts
    Wow, very well done there buddy.

Thanks for sharing.

5. Post #5
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Was hoping it would be...shinier. and more glow-y.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Was hoping it would be...shinier. and more glow-y.
    It's actually very shiny once you get up-close. It's just hard to see in them small screenshots. :(

How do you mean more glow-y?

7. Post #7
    May 2010
    4 Posts
    Wow, for your first map this is excellent. Very good representation of the council chamber. Maybe throw up some alternative lighting like yellow or red, but otherwise very good first attempt.

8. Post #8
    March 2010
    129 Posts
    When you plan on the V2 of the map, if you have ME1, take screenshots and try to create some textures so its more similar to the Bioware version. also look at some other maps with advance features and stuff. Great looking map, posting here since the administrators of Gmod.org removed the other comment system. 4 out of 5 for the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    When you plan on the V2 of the map, if you have ME1, take screenshots and try to create some textures so its more similar to the Bioware version. also look at some other maps with advance features and stuff. Great looking map, posting here since the administrators of Gmod.org removed the other comment system. 4 out of 5 for the map.
    I do indeed have ME1, but I didn't make any of these textures. Aspen made these textures. I tried ripping from the game but of course I suck at it and can't figure out how. That's why the textures arn't exact as you'd see in ME1.

I have some new ideas set up for V2 already, and I'm beginning work.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,315 Posts
    Why exactly is the entire map gray out? i've never played Masseffect 1.

Looks weird like that imo.

11. Post #11
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    It's actually very shiny once you get up-close. It's just hard to see in them small screenshots. :(

How do you mean more glow-y?
    Does the original lack this much color? This map is so...grey.

12. Post #12
    i love everyone
    Dennab
    December 2010
    3,351 Posts
    I made textures very similar to the ME ones. they did not align properly to the cylindrical sections.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    13,672 Posts
    Dude, please, make more parts of the Citadel. This is extremely well done, especially for a first release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Amazing brushwork. :buddy:

15. Post #15
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Does the original lack this much color? This map is so...grey.
    The original is actually quite dark in some areas,

There's an image of part of it. As you can see it''s quite dark and quite grayscaled besides the pink-leaved trees and some lights on the stairs.

16. Post #16
    Scruffy Nerfherder
    February 2010
    329 Posts
    Looks good, man. If you wanted to use textures from the game, you can just use umodel to extract them. Could bring a lot more color into the map. Besides that though, its spot on.

17. Post #17
    March 2010
    129 Posts
    Aspen posted:
    I made textures very similar to the ME ones. they did not align properly to the cylindrical sections.
    You might want to try creating a texture just of the circular areas with a large texture. Some map makers did this with some good results.

Nexus_Elite posted:
    Why exactly is the entire map gray out? i've never played Masseffect 1.
    Looks weird like that imo.
    I havent played Mass Effect 1, but I do have Mass Effect 2. The Citadel is a basic grey with a chrome finish to it ingame. Alot of things in Mass Effect Universe are shine to begin with. The Wards(Wings of the Citadel) are about the same with the exception of the massive and abundant holographic ads and signs. Its just how it translates into a map.bsp file for HL2. If a L4D2 map maker makes a Citadel campain, it might have the glow and bloom like the Bioware game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    April 2011
    47 Posts
    That really cool!!!

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Just hit 200 downloads in less than 24 hours, holy shit! I'm quite proud of that. Just so you guys know I'm working on V2 as we speak!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,529 Posts
    Looks really cool, my criticism is to just work on the lighting. In Mass Effect it has alot more variance with a purple-ish ambient and yellowish spotlights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2010
    5,335 Posts
    ^^ What he said.

The light flooding in from the main window was purplish because of the nebula or whatever the Citadel was in and the rest of the lights were yellowish. I think that would give the map a very nice atmosphere. Other than that, the map's very cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    899 Posts
    Oh wow... This is awesome. It seems our mutual friend Asy didn't lie when he told me you were an amazing mapper. A+ would download again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,707 Posts
    Nice work!

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,305 Posts
    'Grats, Lewy. Sixth most popular on gmod.org as I write this. Get on steam, you bastard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    May 2009
    315 Posts
    I hope one future version you try the full fountain and embassy area. I don't know how you would do it, but if you could make the curving of the ring there into a 3D skybox I bet it would look just awesome. The curve would probably make it anything but easy to map, but it would be awesome for it to have depth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,817 Posts
    Saw this on garrysmod.org and couldn't help but check out the thread. It's looking fantastic, very much looking forward to seeing additional progress. :D
    By the way, it looks like your Photobucket has exceeded its monthly bandwidth.

27. Post #27
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Saw this on garrysmod.org and couldn't help but check out the thread. It's looking fantastic, very much looking forward to seeing additional progress. :D
    By the way, it looks like your Photobucket has exceeded its monthly bandwidth.
    Cheers mate! I'm still working on Version 2 at the moment and I'm going to try and pull some textures from ME. Also fuck you Photobucket. Anyone know where I can host alot of images?

I hope one future version you try the full fountain and embassy area. I don't know how you would do it, but if you could make the curving of the ring there into a 3D skybox I bet it would look just awesome. The curve would probably make it anything but easy to map, but it would be awesome for it to have depth.
    I really really want to do this, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have the skill. It'd be possible, I think. Should I attempt it?

'Grats, Lewy. Sixth most popular on gmod.org as I write this. Get on steam, you bastard
    Success!

28. Post #28
    May 2009
    315 Posts
    I think you should attempt it to at least see how it turns out. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't.

29. Post #29
    July 2010
    5,335 Posts
    I really really want to do this, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have the skill. It'd be possible, I think. Should I attempt it?
    Yes.

30. Post #30
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    Right-o. I'll see what I can do.

31. Post #31
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts

There's an image of part of it. As you can see it''s quite dark and quite grayscaled besides the pink-leaved trees and some lights on the stairs.
    I actually don't see any grey in that screenshot at all. There's a LOT of color going on there. Note that everything that would be grey is actually purple.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,268 Posts
    This is an awesome map. As said before, a large lack of color, not counting Episode 2 foilage. But it still looks great.

33. Post #33
    December 2009
    897 Posts
    looks good but i guess it needs a little more work

34. Post #34
    I LIKE BIG DUCKS AND I CANNOT LIE, YOU OTHER QUACKS CAN'T DENY
    December 2008
    13,342 Posts
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite map on the Citadel!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    October 2009
    1,508 Posts
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite map on the Citadel!
    That's good to know, because I'm planning on trying to create the whole citadel now!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,805 Posts
    Shame that there's no phong on world brushes :( Would make it look just a tiny bit more awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,398 Posts
    Just noticed how the platform you stand on while talking to the Council looks like a big penis.

But a good map so far.

I see plenty of blue in that image. A larger one would be better for reference though. I agree that your map is far too gray in color and needs some life to it. New textures would be the first big step towards that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    162 Posts
    Any progress?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    October 2011
    484 Posts
    Any progress?
    Same question.

40. Post #40
    December 2007
    539 Posts
    It looks stunningly good, except this balcony looks phallic:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)