1. Post #1
    bbc
    ERECT PENIS
    January 2011
    6,264 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/technology-13679818
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 41Optimistic Optimistic x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    They fucked up fable. It looked so cheap and crappy. Dur dur magex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 27Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,825 Posts
    The Star Wars Kinect game they showed look soooo shitty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 30Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    rogasm
    May 2010
    4,809 Posts
    mass effect 3 is going to be on kinect :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    "There's nothing that Kinect currently does that is either of any gameplay value to me or that cannot be replicated just as effectively by a controller or headset."

Agree x 999999999
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 77Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2010
    711 Posts
    kinect can suck on my hand controller

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,876 Posts
    Nooooot if you get for PC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 23Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,616 Posts
    All I want Kinect for is a depth camera, but I'm sure I can just make one if I really try. Coz once I have a3d scanner, I will have the perfect use for a reprap.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    230 Posts
    From what I've heard, it's just squad commanding and dialogue options. Optional as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,450 Posts
    When I saw the kinect demos for Ghost Recon and ME3 it looked pretty cool.
    Like how in Ghost Recon you could use your hand to customize your weapon(it just looks cool)and in Mass Effect 3 where you can command your squadmates by saying stuff.

11. Post #11
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    The Star Wars game looked shit.

Ghost Recon's weapon customization thing was pretty cool.

Voice-recognition, as seen in Mass Effect 3, doesn't even require Kinect. I could do the same stuff in Socom 2 back in 2003 with a regular headset.

Fable: The Journey looks dreadfully boring.

Count me in when I can signal my squad of soldiers with hand gestures, or punch reporters in the face by actually throwing my fist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

12. Post #12
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,364 Posts
    The Star Wars game looks pretty shitty, it looks as if they're trying to advertise that it'd follow very closely to your hand movements, instead it's most likely that some hand movement would trigger a pre-made animation.

I'm pretty sure they'd be able to do something similar if the Move stick was utilized considering the ball & camera is pretty accurate.

13. Post #13
    My friend bought me this title because its incredibly annoying.
    February 2010
    845 Posts
    The kinect has in no way lived up to any expectations I had for it.
    Seems about as useful as a Wii.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    711 Posts
    The kinect has in no way lived up to any expectations I had for it.
    Seems about as useful as a Wii.
    Something you play for about 2 weeks at christmas then get's put in a box like all the other shit toys you never look at again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,876 Posts
    Can't they admit this thing just sucks for games?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,740 Posts
    They won't stop until Kinect has dipped its shit-encrusted fingers in every single pie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2008
    1,129 Posts
    How in hell do you play shooters on kinect?
    They better not delayed ME3 for the kinect part only...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Only kinect? FUCK NO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    16,206 Posts
    Only kinect? FUCK NO
    calm the fuck down
    its not only on kinect dipshits
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,374 Posts

Core gamers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    jesus christ just let motion controls die already

i want to destroy entire cities by slightly rotating my wrist
    i dont want to simulate every fucking footstep and reach out to open a virtual door

Edited:

Core gamers.
    ughh they can't even get the kinect to work at E3
    and the parts with those two kids was fucking unbearable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

22. Post #22
    intercontinental mexican sausage filler
    October 2009
    2,593 Posts
    Something you play for about 2 weeks at christmas then get's put in a box like all the other shit toys you never look at again
    mine lasted 3 days. it's fun and then you realise it glitches out 99% of the time and you do the same thing over and over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2010
    2,206 Posts
    How in hell do you play shooters on kinect?
    They better not delayed ME3 for the kinect part only...
    No they delayed Mass Effect 3 as they felt that wanted to put more time in and effort for the final game of the trilogy.

Kinect can get fucked, saw it in action and it's just a big gimmick that makes people look like idiots when they use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    The Star Wars Kinect game they showed look soooo shitty
    Well, it looks like it's based on the Clone Wars, so no big surprise there.

Edited:

I'm sure you don't have to use it, but from what I've seen with the squad gameplay, it is awesome.

25. Post #25
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,802 Posts
    I don't understand how 360 got so stupid.

They had an excellent design choice for their controller, building to fit so naturally and comfortably in your hand unlike Playstation's design. Now they totally just tanked in designing the Kinect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

26. Post #26
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    18,825 Posts
    Kinect can be a fun add-on (when it works, anyway.) but don't make games based around it, it's not ready for that yet.

It's a good idea on paper, but they needed to put a little more time on it.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,876 Posts

They had an excellent design choice for their controller, building to fit so naturally and comfortably in your hand unlike Playstation's design. Now they totally just tanked in designing the Kinect.
    Uuhhhh...that's personal opinion. I always prefered the PS3 controller.

Especially since it hasn't fucking changed in forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,088 Posts

Agree, it's a personal choice. The Playstation 3 controller has a more organized button layout and is smaller to hold in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,130 Posts
    Kinect is fine for casual gaming, but is in no way good for games like FPSes and Mass Effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,925 Posts
    Yeah, and if you set it up anywhere other than a large, open room, you are royally fucked. I could sit three feet from my television and wave the Wii remote around and be fine, other than bashing my hand in to my desk once while play Twilight Princess. But if I tried to play with the Kinect, I'd be dancing around like a freak of nature on top of my bed and hoping I don't hit the ceiling fan or break the bed while also hoping the thing even registers my existence. And the first time I used the Playstation move, it felt like I should be shouting Harry Potter spells and trying to avoid smashing that little globe against something, but I eventually just got frustrated with it and had to resist throwing the thing across the room.

The Wii has the best motion control experience for me. Its simple yet intuitive, and fulfills the expectation of the device and the overall system. The other two feel like they're retarding their capability in the hopes of appealing to a wider audience.

Unfortunately, I think the games industry has started to hit a peak of development, and is about to fall off. I mean, barring an incredible leap in to the future where we can somehow physically put players inside games, there truly isn't much left to develop as far as can be seen. All their doing now is just recycling the same old ideas. Give it a year, maybe two, and you'll see Microsoft and Sony with a new console that somehow has a controller with its own screen or it displays images on to surfaces or something like that. Microsoft will possibly get around to creating their own handheld to compete with the 3DS and Vida that will feature cameras and touchscreens and probably have something like a microcosm of Kinect where it reads hand gestures or something, but nothing truly new.

Its all coming down to the same ideas just refurbished a bit and reapplied in a slightly different way from before. Come TGS, PAX, and E3 2012, I don't expect to see anything genuinely impressive on the hardware frontier, and maybe a few unknown games showing up that might be impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    396 Posts
    Maybe if they bought the price down i might consider getting one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,161 Posts
    I just exclusively PC game at this point :tiphat:

33. Post #33
    April 2010
    1,340 Posts
    I just exclusively PC game at this point :tiphat:
    Same here my man, last console I got was the PS2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2011
    9,161 Posts
    Same here my man, last console I got was the PS2.
    Hah yes, PS2 was my last serious console. I liked PS2 and below console gaming, but this gen there are so many multiplats that it's not worth spending ~$300 on a console for a few exclusives. Plus my huge steam backlog lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,876 Posts
    Yeah, and if you set it up anywhere other than a large, open room, you are royally fucked. I could sit three feet from my television and wave the Wii remote around and be fine, other than bashing my hand in to my desk once while play Twilight Princess. But if I tried to play with the Kinect, I'd be dancing around like a freak of nature on top of my bed and hoping I don't hit the ceiling fan or break the bed while also hoping the thing even registers my existence. And the first time I used the Playstation move, it felt like I should be shouting Harry Potter spells and trying to avoid smashing that little globe against something, but I eventually just got frustrated with it and had to resist throwing the thing across the room.

The Wii has the best motion control experience for me. Its simple yet intuitive, and fulfills the expectation of the device and the overall system. The other two feel like they're retarding their capability in the hopes of appealing to a wider audience.

Unfortunately, I think the games industry has started to hit a peak of development, and is about to fall off. I mean, barring an incredible leap in to the future where we can somehow physically put players inside games, there truly isn't much left to develop as far as can be seen. All their doing now is just recycling the same old ideas. Give it a year, maybe two, and you'll see Microsoft and Sony with a new console that somehow has a controller with its own screen or it displays images on to surfaces or something like that. Microsoft will possibly get around to creating their own handheld to compete with the 3DS and Vida that will feature cameras and touchscreens and probably have something like a microcosm of Kinect where it reads hand gestures or something, but nothing truly new.

Its all coming down to the same ideas just refurbished a bit and reapplied in a slightly different way from before. Come TGS, PAX, and E3 2012, I don't expect to see anything genuinely impressive on the hardware frontier, and maybe a few unknown games showing up that might be impressive.
    Actually Sony had been working on the Move before the Wii was even being developed. The original Eyetoy was actually a prototype to see if motion control COULD work.

Edited:

Hah yes, PS2 was my last serious console. I liked PS2 and below console gaming, but this gen there are so many multiplats that it's not worth spending ~$300 on a console for a few exclusives. Plus my huge steam backlog lol.
    I would agree with this except for exclusives that'll never be brought to PC. I don't see the point in getting a 360 but I do see the point in getting a Wii or PS3 because you'll have to wait for the emulator and in the case of the PS3 and its cell shader portion of its GPU, you're going to have to need a $2000 studio videocard just to right on minimum settings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    9,345 Posts
    E3 on hardcore gaming:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    April 2011
    9,161 Posts
    Actually Sony had been working on the Move before the Wii was even being developed. The original Eyetoy was actually a prototype to see if motion control COULD work.
    There's been a Wii emulator for years now. I've used it a couple of times. TBH I own a Wii IRL and the emulator, never use them, I just don't care. PS3 does have God of War III, other than that I don't care, and I have way too many games to play anyways.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,876 Posts
    There's been a Wii emulator for years now. I've used it a couple of times. TBH I own a Wii IRL and the emulator, never use them, I just don't care. PS3 does have God of War III, other than that I don't care, and I have way too many games to play anyways.
    Way to miss all the other 80+ scoring exclusives

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts
    I wish game consoles would stop trying to adapt to stupid motion/gesture controls. I've always enjoyed gaming on my ass, whether it be with a computer or a console, SNES being the only one I've spent considerable time with. Motion control and family gaming is stupid and hinders progress for games that are legitimately fun for the majority of gamers.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    I wish game consoles would stop trying to adapt to stupid motion/gesture controls. I've always enjoyed gaming on my ass, whether it be with a computer or a console, SNES being the only one I've spent considerable time with. Motion control and family gaming is stupid and hinders progress for games that are legitimately fun for the majority of gamers.
    But lotsa money.