April 2006
    1,610 Posts
    pog 4 lyfe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #1723
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,269 Posts
    Finally went to a recruiter and had all of my questions answered. Looks like I have to start earning college credits, and I have 3 so far

4. Post #1724
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    If you were in Recon, would you still be called a pog? Or does the definition of grunt also cover recon?

Nope, not at all. Infact, some of the combat engineers that worked with us we're 'redeemed' out of POG status, because they are out there with us finding IEDs at the front and getting shot at. Good times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

5. Post #1725
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,281 Posts
    Well I got medically discharged 9 weeks into basic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #1726
    $$$Good News Everyone!$$$
    January 2007
    4,371 Posts
    Nope, not at all. Infact, some of the combat engineers that worked with us we're 'redeemed' out of POG status, because they are out there with us finding IEDs at the front and getting shot at. Good times.
    lol every time our combat engineers went outside the wire they got hit by an ied(which was almost daily)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1727
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    Well I got medically discharged 9 weeks into basic.
    dont worry
    my brother pussied out / med discharged from usaf basic on the 1st real day of training when they got shots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #1728
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    lol every time our combat engineers went outside the wire they got hit by an ied(which was almost daily)
    Yep, ours too. Mad respect to them yo. I've been the metal detector guy at the front for a bit. Dug up a pressure release IED. That shit was one of the most scariest things I've done, because If i even moved the rock even a centimeter, I would not be here in this world today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #1729
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    Yep, ours too. Mad respect to them yo. I've been the metal detector guy at the front for a bit. Dug up a pressure release IED. That shit was one of the most scariest things I've done, because If i even moved the rock even a centimeter, I would not be here in this world today.
    i salute you

Edited:

after posting that it sounds sarcastic
    its not, thank you for your service
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

10. Post #1730
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    i salute you

Edited:

after posting that it sounds sarcastic
    its not, thank you for your service
    Your welcome. lol, sounds ok to me. It's hard to be nice on these forums, sarcasm is like the primary language here I found out. Can't take too many things seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #1731
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,497 Posts
    Visited the Marine recruiter yesterday. Marines really know how to make a presentation and I was thoroughly impressed. I'm going to go ahead and start working with them to get the ball rolling on getting my spot onto the DEP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events

12. Post #1732
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,269 Posts
    Visited the Marine recruiter yesterday. Marines really know how to make a presentation and I was thoroughly impressed. I'm going to go ahead and start working with them to get the ball rolling on getting my spot onto the DEP.
    Yeah man, I was impressed by how complete their answers were. They knew everything I asked them without hesitation, pretty good inspiration to joining if you ask me.

13. Post #1733
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,281 Posts
    dont worry
    my brother pussied out / med discharged from usaf basic on the 1st real day of training when they got shots
    I didn't pussy out, I got screwed. They found out I have tachycardia and discharged me for it, even though I had a waiver for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

14. Post #1734
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,107 Posts
    Had a nice run today at Future Soldier training, but man do I fucking HATE running in cold weather.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1735
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,269 Posts
    6 months and 12 college credits till I can join the Marines... this is going to be an excruciating 6 months....

16. Post #1736
    June 2007
    214 Posts
    So I finally got my ASVAB scores, my AFQT score is 88 and my line scores are almost all in the 60s. The Army is offering me a job as a 68W medic, but after reading what you guys have been saying it makes me think my future would be better off in the Navy if they would accept me as a corpsman. I really don't know where to go from here, I mean the military is basically my future and I don't want to fuck it up with a bad decision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

17. Post #1737
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    I didn't pussy out, I got screwed. They found out I have tachycardia and discharged me for it, even though I had a waiver for it.
    what. lame.

Edited:

if you had a wavier why'd they do it

18. Post #1738
    like..dude..nevermind....fuck
    July 2011
    4,554 Posts
    Looking for anyway to get people out

19. Post #1739
    Ese
    February 2011
    227 Posts
    Don't forget, if you are KIA, you may end up in a landfill. Just saying.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/08...troop-remains/

20. Post #1740
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Don't forget, if you are KIA, you may end up in a landfill. Just saying.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/08...troop-remains/
    That doesn't really bother me, I'll be dead, why would I give a shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #1741
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,610 Posts
    So I finally got my ASVAB scores, my AFQT score is 88 and my line scores are almost all in the 60s. The Army is offering me a job as a 68W medic, but after reading what you guys have been saying it makes me think my future would be better off in the Navy if they would accept me as a corpsman. I really don't know where to go from here, I mean the military is basically my future and I don't want to fuck it up with a bad decision.
    Navy Medicine is widely regarded as the best military medicine. You'll have more career paths and choices as a Hospital Corpsman rather then if you were a whiskey. The thing with the Navy is that in the enlisted medical field you must be a Hospital Corpsman before you can do anything else, like if you wanted to go to Respiratory Therapy School, X Ray school, Behavioral Health School, or Preventive Medicine school to name a few you'd have to complete Hospital Corps school first. I'm down at Fort Sam where they train the Whiskey's and it's more or less you're just a line medic and you can't take specialties, because in the Army there aren't any specialties. If you go to Behavioral Health school you're a BHT, if you go to Surgical Assistant school you're just a Surgical Tech. In the Navy you'd be a Hospital Corpsman AND a Behavioral Health Technician for instance.

Let me break it down..

Army - 68W Line Medic

Navy - Hospital Corpsman 0000, Behavioral Health Technician 8485 and 8404 Field Medical Technician

I mean if you want to do that gung ho shit yeah I suggest being a Corpsman. After Corps School you might have the ability to go to Field Medical Training Batallion which more or less allows you to be a Medic for the Marine Corps. If you want to be extra special you can become a Hospital Corpsman, a Preventive Medicine Technician (for example), and a Marine Corpsman. Or if you want to go extra gung ho you can be a Recon Corpsman 8403. You wouldn't be able to do that in the Army.

If you were to just be a regular ass run of the mill Hospital Corpsman you'd be working in one of our major Naval Hospitals all over the world. Naval Hospitals are a good experience too, you wouldn't be able to do that in the Army. You'd most likely get deployed to luxorious Afghanistan or Kuwait. Make no mistake though, no matter what branch you join you will most likely be deployed. Especially if you decide to be an 8404 Corpsman (Marine Medic). In the end though, it's up to you to decide which branch you want to join. Of course you'd say I have a bias since I'm a Hospital Corpsman but I train with the Army and Air Force and I hear almost every other day a soldier say how they wish they would have joined the Navy instead.

With all that being said though the Navy does it differently at MEPS. Whichever job they offer you is dependent on the needs of the Navy, but the Hospital Corpsman field is a big field. So they'll most likely have a bunch of Corpsman positions open if you ask them. The only downside to being in this field is that it's harder to rank up because they're so damn many of us. It's still a good field to get into, education wise. You get about 14 college credits for completion as Corps School(even more if you take aditional schooling) and the ability to register as a Basic EMT.

That's my two cents on the matter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1742
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,058 Posts
    I have another IST Tomorow even though we've had 2 already. I don't mind them I actualy kind of enjoy doing the IST but we have to do them alot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

23. Post #1743
    June 2007
    214 Posts
    Let me break it down..
    I appreciate all the info and thank you for explaining the Corps School specialization system, I was having a bit of trouble understanding how all of it was organized since, up until recently, I've been only putting my sights on the Army. I think the Navy medicinal field is more of what I'm looking for.

Again, thank you for your input. This, along with talking to recruiters and more people that are in the Army and Navy medical fields, should go a long way in making an informed decision. I'm going into this as more of a lifetime career and not just a job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #1744
    I'm a senior going through the college application process right now and over the past year I have been thinking more about the military. I know a lot of friends who graduated last year and are now in Tech School so that kind of motivated me.

Air Force aint a bad deal. My dad is a Chief and has been in 28 years so far. I've travelled to 9 different countries and experienced so much. I haven't had to experience the fear of losing a job or not getting paid. I don't want to give that up. One of my worst fears is graduating from college with a degree that sucks or just not even getting anywhere in my career. I don't want to end up like the parent who can't afford to send their kid to school trips or can only buy necessities. I don't want to live in the same place my whole life and work a job that will give me no pride and live in a crappy house in a crappy neighborhood till I die.

The more and more I think about it, the more appealing it is. Unfortunately, I only started feeling like this once senior year started.

I looked at the Air Force website and watched all the videos about BMT and I talked to my friend who just graduated from it and my dad and they both said it is not as hard as movies and TV make it out to be. That was my worst fear about joining. My dad also said a lot of people don't pass the ASVAB or don't meet weight standards but he says there is no way they would deny me because of those things (I'm 6ft and I'm ~180 under the 202lb mark)

Been an air force brat all of my life and I guess I'm finally REALLY inspired to join. Although this is a new idea but a very plausible one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #1745
    What shall we do with a drunken sailor?
    April 2007
    4,278 Posts
    I posted awhile ago stating I was joining the Navy. Just to update, I got my ASVAB scores back awhile ago (Got an 84 composite and auto-qualified for Nuclear Engineering) but have been waiting to get my physical for weeks.

26. Post #1746
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,107 Posts
    I posted awhile ago stating I was joining the Navy. Just to update, I got my ASVAB scores back awhile ago (Got an 84 composite and auto-qualified for Nuclear Engineering) but have been waiting to get my physical for weeks.
    The MEPS exam is so much fun.

27. Post #1747
    April 2007
    4,278 Posts
    What all does it involve?

28. Post #1748
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    What's the MEPS exam?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

29. Post #1749
    April 2007
    4,278 Posts
    It's a physical and mental exam followed by meeting with a job counselor, as far as I know. At the MEPs station.

30. Post #1750
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    It's a physical and mental exam followed by meeting with a job counselor, as far as I know. At the MEPs station.
    I remember duck walking in my boxers and being asked to spread my buttcheeks. Have fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #1751
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,107 Posts
    I remember duck walking in my boxers and being asked to spread my buttcheeks. Have fun.
    We had an Indian guy, so at least it was amusing to hear him say "spread your buttcheeks" with his accent. It helps that for whatever reason I never had to spread em.

32. Post #1752
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    2,846 Posts
    I have another IST Tomorow even though we've had 2 already. I don't mind them I actualy kind of enjoy doing the IST but we have to do them alot.
    Try doing a PFT 3 times a week for a few months...

Edited:

I'm a senior going through the college application process right now and over the past year I have been thinking more about the military. I know a lot of friends who graduated last year and are now in Tech School so that kind of motivated me.

Air Force aint a bad deal. My dad is a Chief and has been in 28 years so far. I've travelled to 9 different countries and experienced so much. I haven't had to experience the fear of losing a job or not getting paid. I don't want to give that up. One of my worst fears is graduating from college with a degree that sucks or just not even getting anywhere in my career. I don't want to end up like the parent who can't afford to send their kid to school trips or can only buy necessities. I don't want to live in the same place my whole life and work a job that will give me no pride and live in a crappy house in a crappy neighborhood till I die.

The more and more I think about it, the more appealing it is. Unfortunately, I only started feeling like this once senior year started.

I looked at the Air Force website and watched all the videos about BMT and I talked to my friend who just graduated from it and my dad and they both said it is not as hard as movies and TV make it out to be. That was my worst fear about joining. My dad also said a lot of people don't pass the ASVAB or don't meet weight standards but he says there is no way they would deny me because of those things (I'm 6ft and I'm ~180 under the 202lb mark)

Been an air force brat all of my life and I guess I'm finally REALLY inspired to join. Although this is a new idea but a very plausible one.

In the airforce depending on your MOS you're not even allowed to train on a rifle/pistol. AT ALL.

AIRFORCE Y U NO TRAIN WITH GUNS ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Take a step up a notch and join the Navy or Marine Corps

33. Post #1753
    $$$Good News Everyone!$$$
    January 2007
    4,371 Posts
    5 days a week, every week. :P

34. Post #1754
    like..dude..nevermind....fuck
    July 2011
    4,554 Posts

Edited:

In the airforce depending on your MOS you're not even allowed to train on a rifle/pistol. AT ALL.

What guns do they train on in the Navy?

35. Post #1755
    October 2005
    2,846 Posts
    5 days a week, every week. :P
    You're ground, that happens there.

What guns do they train on in the Navy?
    It used to just be M9's and Mossberg 500's in boot, but now they also train on M16. If you become a gunners mate you'll shoot ALOT more weapons like the M249 and M240 (though I think they may have different navy designations)

36. Post #1756
    September 2009
    11,979 Posts
    Drill tomorrow for the National Guard.

Last drill before I ship to OSUT in Jan.

Do I have to score a minimum of 60 on each event for the APFT? I'm trying to get promoted to E2 tomorrow

37. Post #1757

Edited:

Um... I think you're wrong. Everybody in basic learns how to shoot and is issued at training M16. I know my dad had to carry around a handgun of some sort when he went to Afghanistan.

Why you hating man.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #1758
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,107 Posts
    Drill tomorrow for the National Guard.

Last drill before I ship to OSUT in Jan.

Do I have to score a minimum of 60 on each event for the APFT? I'm trying to get promoted to E2 tomorrow
    Yep, 60 in each event. I ship out in January and I'm fine for pushups and situps. The run is killing me though.

39. Post #1759
    October 2011
    48 Posts
    Sorry if this has been covered all ready, but i'm curious as to how serving in the military can cover my college tuition?

40. Post #1760
    October 2005
    2,846 Posts
    Sorry if this has been covered all ready, but i'm curious as to how serving in the military can cover my college tuition?
    GI Bill and tuition assistance, army offers tuition pay back as well if i remember correctly (where they pay off the student loans you already have).