1. Post #1601
    July 2007
    537 Posts
    Any suggestions for some exercises I could do each day to prepare my self for the military? I currently do sit ups and push ups every day, plus I am trying to get into the habit of running.
    The harder you work out now the easier it will be when you are there. I didn't do a lot of working out beforehand and it kicked my butt and I despised my past self for being lazy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1602
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,064 Posts
    I had my IST at my Marine Corps Poole Funstion tonight and this is what I got
    ‎9:30 Mile and a half run
    80 Crunches in 2 min
    13 pull ups
    not to bad but I have some improving to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

3. Post #1603
    November 2011
    14 Posts
    I go to basic in april D:

p.s. the weight limit is pretty strict so make sure you're in shape if you're looking to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #1604
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    I go to basic in april D:

p.s. the weight limit is pretty strict so make sure you're in shape if you're looking to go.
    What Mos/Branch?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #1605

October 2011
    361 Posts
    what kind of work out schedule do you guys recommend before joining the army

I have about 2.5 years to train
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

6. Post #1606
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    Just do stuff like running, push-ups, and sit-ups. That's the closest you can get to the exercises you'll be doing in boot camp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

7. Post #1607
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,667 Posts
    what kind of work out schedule do you guys recommend before joining the army

I have about 2.5 years to train
    How many push ups and sit ups can you do currently?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

8. Post #1608
    JDB
    July 2007
    2,843 Posts
    No?

9. Post #1609
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    I had my IST at my Marine Corps Poole Funstion tonight and this is what I got
    ‎9:30 Mile and a half run
    80 Crunches in 2 min
    13 pull ups
    not to bad but I have some improving to do.
    20 more crunches and 2 more pull ups and you're solid. If you can keep that pace for 3 miles you're golden.

10. Post #1610
    $$$Good News Everyone!$$$
    January 2007
    4,540 Posts
    yeah?

11. Post #1611
    November 2007
    589 Posts
    I was passing all my tests at meps with flying colors but they sent me home and now I have to get an earwash and come back in two weeks then I can swear in.

12. Post #1612
    OFWGKTA
    July 2011
    9,665 Posts
    Nah, you'll get BCG's. They're pretty damn rugged, and guaranteed not to get you laid while wearing them.
    Hence the name "Birth Control Glasses"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1613
    August 2010
    1,160 Posts
    What branch has the shortest deployment time?

14. Post #1614
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    What branch has the shortest deployment time?
    Depends on MOS, not branch.
    Though Most likely would be navy or Marines. I knew a guy who went to navy boot and came out undesignated (which isn't good) and went on deployment a month after.

15. Post #1615
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    2,016 Posts
    Just finished Air Force BMT. It was awesome to be honest. 0-2 WOT was chaotic, but then it got better. If anyone has any questions about BMT feel free to shoot me a pm.

16. Post #1616
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Also, can anyone tell me about what goes on in Rifleman divisions? What do you do?

17. Post #1617
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    Also, can anyone tell me about what goes on in Rifleman divisions? What do you do?
    You hike, you dig holes, you stand watch, occasionally shoot, practice in MOUT towns, shit like that.

18. Post #1618
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,346 Posts
    What level of martial arts training do marines receive?

19. Post #1619
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    What level of martial arts training do marines receive?
    You get the basic "Tan Belt" training in boot camp, which basically tells you how to punch and kick right. It also shows you a few chokes and throws and counters, but nothing fancy. Once your done with boot nothing more is required, though most pursue the higher levels. This leads to black belt 4th level, which by that time you can kill someone with your thumb. Even a green belt (third level) can kill someone fairly easily. MCMAP's pretty much all about killing your opponent, so the stuff you learn is lethal.

20. Post #1620
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    And you get hazed and clean things better then a crackhead on a cleaning spree. Oh, and combat if you go to Afg.

Edited:

You get the basic "Tan Belt" training in boot camp, which basically tells you how to punch and kick right. It also shows you a few chokes and throws and counters, but nothing fancy. Once your done with boot nothing more is required, though most pursue the higher levels. This leads to black belt 4th level, which by that time you can kill someone with your thumb. Even a green belt (third level) can kill someone fairly easily. MCMAP's pretty much all about killing your opponent, so the stuff you learn is lethal.
    I tried using MCMAP in a barfight, and it didn't work too good. But then again, the guy was probably around 240 pounds. My philosophy is this: If he's bigger, don't pick a fight with him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

21. Post #1621
    September 2009
    12,097 Posts
    is AKO down or some shit??

22. Post #1622
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    And you get hazed and clean things better then a crackhead on a cleaning spree. Oh, and combat if you go to Afg.

Edited:

I tried using MCMAP in a barfight, and it didn't work too good. But then again, the guy was probably around 240 pounds. My philosophy is this: If he's bigger, don't pick a fight with him.
    Let me guess, you were a tan belt mcninja. You don't learn how to really fuck people up until you're a green belt, and once you hit black belt everyone in front of you might as well be dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #1623
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,346 Posts
    How do you kill someone with your thumb

24. Post #1624
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    If you've done psychedelics before, will it affect joining the marines?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1625
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    How do you kill someone with your thumb
    Jam it underneath their jaw until you damage the jugular.

Alternatively you can crush their eyes in, though that wont kill them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #1626
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    I thought you were exaggerating, I didn't think they actually taught you how to kill someone with a thumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

27. Post #1627
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    If you've done psychedelics before, will it affect joining the marines?
    If you tell them you did yes. When they ask you "have you done any illegal drugs?" say no. Its seriously that simple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1628
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    If you tell them you did yes. When they ask you "have you done any illegal drugs?" say no. Its seriously that simple.
    They do drug tests on entry, right?

So I can do all the acid I want, just as long as it doesn't show up on the drug test at basic or whatever?

29. Post #1629
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    Alright. I've only done psychedelics once so if anything happens I should be good.

Edited:

They do drug tests on entry, right?

So I can do all the acid I want, just as long as it doesn't show up on the drug test at basic or whatever?
    They test you at MEPS. Make sure the last drug you've done was 5-6 months ago, just to be safe. If you get positive, you'll be permanently disqualified from all branches of the U.S military (or so I've heard)

30. Post #1630
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    They test you at MEPS. Make sure the last drug you've done was 5-6 months ago, just to be safe. If you get positive, you'll be permanently disqualified from all branches of the U.S military (or so I've heard)
    This is truth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #1631
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    This is truth.
    I'd think it'd be the same with the Aussie military too.

My school counselor person was saying that I should perhaps consider joining the military, and then try for the SASR.

32. Post #1632
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,056 Posts
    Speaking of joining the ADF in any capacity, I can't really decide whether I want to go to uni first, there's ADFA but I have no idea if I can get into that without a year 12 acquired ATAR.

33. Post #1633
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Speaking of joining the ADF in any capacity, I can't really decide whether I want to go to uni first, there's ADFA but I have no idea if I can get into that without a year 12 acquired ATAR.
    Do your ATAR anyway, it gives you a backup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

34. Post #1634
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,667 Posts
    You can get into the ADFA without a year 12 pass, but it depends on the job your wishing to do really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #1635
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,773 Posts
    I want to join the U.S Marines when I turn 18, I am 14 right now and I'm not in the best of shape. I am 5'9 and weigh 180 pounds and I am a bit fat, My family has a tread climber and a weight lifting machine http://www.orangedove.net/images/602_xhg-001.jpg its a helix 9800 and its got everything basically. I can do about 5 actual push ups now, I can push out about 50 crunches and I cannot do any chin/pull ups. I need help on a schedule I can get on and work out and then still be able to do home work.

I also wake up at about 8:30 since I'm homeschooled.

36. Post #1636
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    One thing you need to focus on is numbers, they don't give a shit about functional strength or bulk or whatever, it's numbers; if you stay fat buy you can pump out an exemplary no of pushups in a minute, and pass the required running (9 minutes I think for a mile) you should be fine.

Go down to witness the fitness for some training programs.

Edited:

Also, do Strength and Conditioning, IE poses like wall sits, that use a shit ton of muscle, like squats benches stuff like that.

37. Post #1637
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,667 Posts
    WubWubWomp you currently in the ADF?

38. Post #1638
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    I want to join the U.S Marines when I turn 18, I am 14 right now and I'm not in the best of shape. I am 5'9 and weigh 180 pounds and I am a bit fat, My family has a tread climber and a weight lifting machine http://www.orangedove.net/images/602_xhg-001.jpg its a helix 9800 and its got everything basically. I can do about 5 actual push ups now, I can push out about 50 crunches and I cannot do any chin/pull ups. I need help on a schedule I can get on and work out and then still be able to do home work.

I also wake up at about 8:30 since I'm homeschooled.
    You have so much time to work out. It'll only take you about 5-6 months of continuous work-outs to get in shape.

For push-ups, try doing wall push ups first. Basically just stand in front of a wall, about a foot away, and then lean onto it and push off with your hands. Keep your heels on the ground, don't lift them at any point. Once you can do 2 sets of 50 wall push-ups, go on to doing half push-ups. Basically you only go half way down to the floor. If you're not sure on how much is half, then place a basketball or something of a similar height right below your chest, and once you chest touches the object then you know that's halfway. Once you can do two sets of 25 half push-ups, you'll be at the point where you can start doing regular push-ups much more easily.

For pull-ups, you'll want to start off doing vertical pulls. Stand inside a door frame or by a high railing, and get a comfortable grip with your hands. Basically, you have to lean back, and then use the door frame/high railing to pull yourself back to a standing position. It may seem silly and easy, but it's a great starting point. After you can do 3 sets of 45, you can move on to horizontal pulls. For horizontal pulls, find a table that goes up to your hips. Get under it, and grip your hands on the edge of the table. Keeping your body straight, pull yourself up until your chest touches the table, and then go back down. It's important that you keep your entire body straight throughout this exercise, with the exception of your arms. After you can do 3 sets of 30, move on to half pull-ups. After 2 sets of 15, you'll be able to do at least a few pull-ups.

This isn't something that you can do in 2 weeks, it takes a few months to do this successfully. As for schedule, try setting it either in the morning or at noon-ish. A good schedule by days is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It'll give your body rest and time to recover.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #1639
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,773 Posts
    Thank you for the advice, I will definitely get started tomorrow since my schedule got messed up today when the smoke alarm went off at 3 AM. Also about the treadclimber, can I just use that to run on?

40. Post #1640
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    You can, but I'd recommend going outside and running
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)