1. Post #241
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    3,017 Posts
    I plan on joining the Navy once I finish high school. It's going to be a bitch to start conditioning. My dad did it, and so I felt it was appropriate for me to do so as well. What should I know? What's the pay? I have no experience.
    Well in the navy whats to know all depends on what you want to do. There's a huge job pool with all sorts of options available. Talk to a recruiter to see what best fits you.

As for pay you have the potential to start at $1,700 a month and the rank of E-3/Seamen (which actualy would go along with your rate, so if you were a corpsman it would be hospitalmen, Aircre would be airmen etc.) This of course all depends on what credentials you have prior to enlisting such as college credits, volunteer service, jrotc, etc. If you start as an E-1 you which is the most basic you'll be making $1,300 for the fist 4 months than about $1,450 then on.

If your going to do it I reccomend learning naval terminology, ranks, and your 11 general orders. I'd also start doing a lot of conditioning, they're looking more for endurance then strength.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #242
    April 2011
    314 Posts
    Might join the officer corp (Canadian army or airforce)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #243

March 2010
    693 Posts
    Is it too late to help the U.S trade blood for oil? I'd greatly appreciate contributing to the American graveyard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb x 16Funny x 2Artistic x 1Late x 1Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #244
    January 2010
    875 Posts
    Being a Member of The Marine Corps for about a year now I've got a decent amount of experiance as junior enlisted, wich anyone thinking about going through the enlisted rought will have to deal with. I've been getting alot of PMs about it and figured it would be a good idea to start a thread on it. While I've never been deployed I know there are members on here who have so they should be able to help in that aspect.

People in other branches feel free to comment on your experiances as well!
    I feel as Marines treat other branches like crap.
    Example:
    My dad was at Kuwait for 6 months (He is air force, master sgt, going on senior, NCO, 16 years in)
    and his squadron was sitting in the front row to meet hilary clinton. all of a sudden the marines come in and my dad and his squadron had to move back a row just for you guys that came in late.

any comments on that?

5. Post #245
    October 2005
    3,017 Posts
    Example:
    My dad was at Kuwait for 6 months (He is air force, master sgt, going on senior, NCO, 16 years in)
    and his squadron was sitting in the front row to meet hilary clinton. all of a sudden the marines come in and my dad and his squadron had to move back a row just for you guys that came in late.

any comments on that?
    That has to do with the traditional order of things. Don't ask me why, for I have no idea, but the marines always come first in ceremony. In mixed formations marines are in the front, in parades marines are first, in seating order marines are in front. While it isn't exactly fair neither is paying a recent college grad $3,000 a month to watch over people his age, yet that's what a 2ndlt is.

And yes, marines are typically assholes. Part of being the best is "knowing" your the best and acting like everyone is shit compared to you. They drill that into your head in boot camp. It's just the mentality they instill in us. While I'm not an asshole about it, from what I've seen it's true based on the general population guys. Yeah BUDS guys kick ass, Rangers would probably murder a basic pog, but if that's where we wanna go Force Recons a whole new level.

6. Post #246
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,602 Posts
    Is it too late to help the U.S trade blood for oil? I'd greatly appreciate contributing to the American graveyard.
    Hey everybody! Look at me! I made fun of America! Am I accepted now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,528 Posts
    Whats the difference between the Marines and Army Infantry?

8. Post #248
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    Marines have lower budget, more intense training. And not trying to start anything, but I've heard that the more immature COD sort of people tend to join the Army rather than the Marines
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

9. Post #249
    March 2011
    605 Posts
    Hi. I'm joining the military. I was wondering if I should sign up now, or use my scholarship I got that is good for two years for college, then join the military. I was thinking if I join now I could just get my tour over and done with, but if I went into college and took ROTC I could get a higher rank and more money out of the military. Which path would you recommend.

10. Post #250
    October 2005
    3,017 Posts
    Hi. I'm joining the military. I was wondering if I should sign up now, or use my scholarship I got that is good for two years for college, then join the military. I was thinking if I join now I could just get my tour over and done with, but if I went into college and took ROTC I could get a higher rank and more money out of the military. Which path would you recommend.
    It all depends on what you want out of the military. I chose the enlisted rought because it offers a lot more practical skills, the officer route is more administrative and "over all picture" oriented. Personally I'd go to college and get yourself a degree, then decide for yourself which route you want to take. Yeah officers get paid more but a shit ton more is expected of you. What would be a slap on the wrist for enlisted can be career ending for officers. Besides, enlisted life is more fun haha

Edited:

Glitch360 hit the nail on the head. Marines get jack shit for a budget, so instead of using fancy weights and 3D sims we use heavy shit rocks and open fields. What we lack in resources we make up for in our resourcfulness. We traid ease for intensity, instead of drilling on expensive target sims a few times we drill on the same paper target a million times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

11. Post #251
    Not a very good Member
    January 2010
    2,398 Posts
    How much time do you get off? As in, go out and meet people, one of my worries of joining the Army is that I'd be stuck at the base all the time, missing out on meeting new people (read: women)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

12. Post #252
    April 2009
    2,818 Posts
    Hi I hate Americans, therefore I am cool.

Anyway, how long does training last?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #253
    October 2005
    3,017 Posts
    How much time do you get off? As in, go out and meet people, one of my worries of joining the Army is that I'd be stuck at the base all the time, missing out on meeting new people (read: women)
    Well after boot it all depends on the school. I get from 3pm until midnight during the week and all weekend to do whatever. My biggest hinderance is I can't use my own car cause some blue falcons ruined it for the rest of us. Once your with your unit it depends on theri schedule. Most shops have 8 hour days, anything after you can do whatever. Some have as long as 12, that's mostly airwing. Trust me, you'll get plenty of time to meet women.

Edited:

Hi I hate Americans, therefore I am cool.

Anyway, how long does training last?
    Marine Corps speaking its 3 months for boot, 1 month for MCT, and anywhere from 1 week to a year and a half for your MOS school. Then there's all the training you continue to do in your unit, but I won't count that.

If you are infantry it goes 3 months boot, 3 months ITB, then off to your unit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Might join the officer corp (Canadian army or airforce)
    If you can demonstrate leadership and are a high school student, you can get a $100,000 (I think) scholarship for the Royal Military College.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

15. Post #255
    March 2011
    67 Posts
    I thought about it a while ago, but I wanted to join the Air Force. My girlfriend however absolutely despises the military after having been a military brat. From what I understand, at least the case with the Air Force. They compensate you GREATLY for everything. Hell, they even go as far as to reimburse you for funds already paid for a college education.

Edited:

I'm guessing that it's an honor thing. First to fight, first to line up; though that totally arguable either way.

16. Post #256
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,602 Posts
    I'm thinking of jointing the Marines after I get out of college. Of course, I got at least 6 or so years to get ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    583 Posts
    I'm enlisting in marines soon, I go to pt every now and then but I basically do nothing but work out in free time.

I can't really decide an mos though. Honestly, I think I want to do infantry, but every keeps telling me not to because I "won't have any skills to transfer to civilian life."

18. Post #258
    October 2005
    3,017 Posts
    I'm enlisting in marines soon, I go to pt every now and then but I basically do nothing but work out in free time.

I can't really decide an mos though. Honestly, I think I want to do infantry, but every keeps telling me not to because I "won't have any skills to transfer to civilian life."
    Ahh the life of a grunt, the job that everyone wants to be and at the same time no one wants to be. In the marine corps there's two worlds: grunts and pogs. Grunt life is tough as shit, expect to remain lcpl your whole enlistment. Never the less grunts are idolized by pogs, for grunts get all the action and violence. The whole purpose of the rest of the Marine Corps is to support the Grunt and his mission.

If you want to be a grunt but also get a skill applicable to the real world, become a field radio operator. You learn all sorts on communications equipment and networking, and you get to run around and shoot with the grunts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #259
    June 2010
    4,371 Posts
    Or just learn a skill with college money. :V

20. Post #260
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,602 Posts
    I was planning on taking a class in Arabic so I could maybe talk overseas if we're still there when the time comes for me to join.

Would that be a good trait to have?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

21. Post #261
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    I was planning on taking a class in Arabic so I could maybe talk overseas if we're still there when the time comes for me to join.

Any second language would be really good to have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #262

November 2008
    97 Posts

any comments on that?

Most marines ARE douchebags.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,512 Posts

Depending on your MOS you can get language training in your contract, that's another option. I'm going to the Defense Language Institute in January, I just wish I knew what language course I am going to be in.

You also get monthly bonus for knowing extra languages, up to $1000 a month I think, depending on what languages and your proficiency.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

24. Post #264
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,834 Posts
    Most marines ARE douchebags.
    Care to offer your past experience?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

25. Post #265
    September 2010
    1,852 Posts
    Join Finnish army you sissies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #266
    April 2011
    314 Posts
    If you can demonstrate leadership and are a high school student, you can get a $100,000 (I think) scholarship for the Royal Military College.
    Holy shit that is actually pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    583 Posts
    Ahh the life of a grunt, the job that everyone wants to be and at the same time no one wants to be. In the marine corps there's two worlds: grunts and pogs. Grunt life is tough as shit, expect to remain lcpl your whole enlistment. Never the less grunts are idolized by pogs, for grunts get all the action and violence. The whole purpose of the rest of the Marine Corps is to support the Grunt and his mission.

If you want to be a grunt but also get a skill applicable to the real world, become a field radio operator. You learn all sorts on communications equipment and networking, and you get to run around and shoot with the grunts.
    I understand it is really hard, and I will probably hate it, but I am hoping it is a love hate deal. Most marines I talk to call grunts nobodies and stupid. Honestly though, I feel marines should be constantly training for fighting... I don't really want a desk job mos or a civilian style job. To me I don't care much for the job experience to carry over to the civilian world, I care about the experience I will have in the corps.

28. Post #268
    October 2005
    3,017 Posts
    I understand it is really hard, and I will probably hate it, but I am hoping it is a love hate deal. Most marines I talk to call grunts nobodies and stupid. Honestly though, I feel marines should be constantly training for fighting... I don't really want a desk job mos or a civilian style job. To me I don't care much for the job experience to carry over to the civilian world, I care about the experience I will have in the corps.
    Everyones constantly training for fighting, even admin and supply guys get sent to infantry tactics since they're the first to go as provisional infantry. From what I've heard from grunts it is a love hate relationship. When you first become a grunt be prepared to be hazed the fuck out of. They'll tell you it won't happen, they'll tell you to report it, but at the end of the dayits going to happen. Its all apart of grunt society.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #269
    August 2009
    12,441 Posts
    Everyones constantly training for fighting, even admin and supply guys get sent to infantry tactics since they're the first to go as provisional infantry. From what I've heard from grunts it is a love hate relationship. When you first become a grunt be prepared to be hazed the fuck out of. They'll tell you it won't happen, they'll tell you to report it, but at the end of the dayits going to happen. Its all apart of grunt society.
    That doesn't sound that great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #270
    September 2009
    12,265 Posts
    What did your hazing ritual consist of?

it better not be anal   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #271

November 2008
    97 Posts
    Care to offer your past experience?

My sister has dated a few.
    Every time I hung out with them, they have this cocky attitude, and most of them just do-not-give-a-fuck about their surroundings.

I'll give you an example: I was at a beach, and he (the marine) picked up a rock and threw it at a seagull, it hit the seagull, and it started flapping its wings, desperately trying to fly away, but he broke its wing, I was like "WTF DO WE DO?", he laughed and was like "fuck it, just leave it, lets go". Another example is not my experience, but a very close friend of mine's experience; He had just finished boot camp, and getting ready to start his combat training, and either one, or several marines stole his shit (IE; his PSP, cellphone, some cash from his pant pockets), after hearing that, sounds like none of them have any respect for others, hence; douchebag.

32. Post #272
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    583 Posts
    My sister has dated a few.
    Every time I hung out with them, they have this cocky attitude, and most of them just do-not-give-a-fuck about their surroundings.

I'll give you an example: I was at a beach, and he (the marine) picked up a rock and threw it at a seagull, it hit the seagull, and it started flapping its wings, desperately trying to fly away, but he broke its wing, I was like "WTF DO WE DO?", he laughed and was like "fuck it, just leave it, lets go". Another example is not my experience, but a very close friend of mine's experience; He had just finished boot camp, and getting ready to start his combat training, and either one, or several marines stole his shit (IE; his PSP, cellphone, some cash from his pant pockets), after hearing that, sounds like none of them have any respect for others, hence; douchebag.
    There are always going to be a few bad people in anything you do. Most people/marines aren't like that. The stealing though surprises me. They try to teach you the highest respect for each other as they are fellow marines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #273
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,866 Posts
    Sorry guys, I chose my words wrong. I distrust politicians and those who kill civilians. However, I respect the armed forces regardless, as I know better than to assume just because a few bad eggs do that, that all do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

34. Post #274
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    I know that joining the Airforce means I'll probably never fly, but I'd like to ask somebody that isn't a recruiter. If I sign up after college, perhaps with a civilian aviation license, what are my odds of going onto flight training, excluding any health factors?

35. Post #275
    October 2005
    3,017 Posts
    What did your hazing ritual consist of?

it better not be anal   
    Well it pretty much consists of being treated like shit, being told to do the shittiest jobs in the most innefficent ways possible. Then there's the blood striping, the snake bites, all sorts of junk.

I know that joining the Airforce means I'll probably never fly, but I'd like to ask somebody that isn't a recruiter. If I sign up after college, perhaps with a civilian aviation license, what are my odds of going onto flight training, excluding any health factors?
    Well assuming you went officer route and you have an FFA licence (disregarding all medical blah blah) You'd be a good candidate for the pilot program. If you go enlisted route those things would help you get the enlisted flight crew option.

36. Post #276
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    why would anyone want to join the military?

especially a combat position
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

37. Post #277

November 2008
    97 Posts

Sorry, but I think you're an idiot for saying that.
    Military has many good benifits:

1.) Learn discipline.
    2.) Learn a new set of skills that civilians never get to learn.
    3.) You get to do things and see things that you'd be luckey to even see a video of.
    4.) Combat position can give you a much better shot at something that you have a high intrest in; Wether it be Law Enforcement, even more specifically -- SWAT, FBI, FBI HRT.

Sorry, but:

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - Big Dumb American))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

38. Post #278
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts

Why would anyone want to be a doctor?
    Why would anyone want to be a lawyer?
    Why would anyone want to be an engineer?
    Why would anyone want to be a teacher?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #279
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Sorry, but I think you're an idiot for saying that.
    Military has many good benifits:

1.) Learn discipline.
    2.) Learn a new set of skills that civilians never get to learn.
    3.) You get to do things and see things that you'd be luckey to even see a video of.
    4.) Combat position can give you a much better shot at something that you have a high intrest in; Wether it be Law Enforcement, even more specifically -- SWAT, FBI, FBI HRT.

Sorry, but:
    ah, i'm being a bitch because i see no interest in fighting a useless war

i can understand learning skills, but do any of you think about what you're actually doing in the military?

40. Post #280
    October 2010
    1,111 Posts
    ah, i'm being a bitch because i see no interest in fighting a useless war

i can understand learning skills, but do any of you think about what you're actually doing in the military?
    Maybe it's because someone has to protect your right to sit here and bash everything all day, and honestly it won't be you so we may as well do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)