1. Post #1
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    No bounce as there are no polygons to bounce on, and no sinking if you have to much torque. Realistic grip, endless possibility's so on and so forth.

Here is a release to the contraptions thread.

Its the wheel2 Stool which appears in a tab at the bottom of the wire menu.

All credit goes to Satri-Ali as all of this is his work.

Enjoy having much more realistic wheels in garry's mod.

make sure you no-collide the wheel to your whole contraption as it has a much larger radius of collision than you might expect as it draws an invisible sphere, not a wheel sized cylinder.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Wire_additions1.zip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 11Useful Useful x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    Gonna try this shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,521 Posts
    The wheel works amazingly for engine powered vehicles. I used the little PHX black tires and got around 40 mph with excellent handling.

Protip: Place the wheels on a random prop, then remove that prop to use the wheels like conventional models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    If your going to do that would have preferred if you asked to be honest. Also, you gave no credit to Satri.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2008
    516 Posts
    Why couldn't satri post it?

7. Post #7
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    I haven't been able to talk to him in about 3 years except on two occasions unfortunately. Kinda miss him, but i felt this was an important addition to contraption building so i decided to share it.

8. Post #8
    November 2007
    88 Posts
    He said very clear "All credit goes to Satri-Ali as all of this is his work.", now why didn't you put in Satri-Alis creds in that thread post?

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    184 Posts
    The wheel works amazingly for engine powered vehicles. I used the little PHX black tires and got around 40 mph with excellent handling.

Protip: Place the wheels on a random prop, then remove that prop to use the wheels like conventional models.

It is awesome, to bad its not just a tool you can shoot any wheel with and make it work. It has fixed the one problem i have had with gmod the entire time i have been playing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    January 2011
    78 Posts
    Since this tool is so awesome, someone who knows lua could try modifying it so that you can turn normal prop wheels into wheels 2's. I don't know if it would work but it would be a lot easier since everybody uses e2 or engines to spin wheels.

11. Post #11
    April 2009
    379 Posts
    How does this fare with dupe and multiplayer? You forgot to specify those.

12. Post #12
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    This looks neat, but does it handle grip realistically? What about feedback to a suspension? Does it overcome the rotational limits? Does it look natural?

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    He said very clear "All credit goes to Satri-Ali as all of this is his work.", now why didn't you put in Satri-Alis creds in that thread post?
    updated. Just forgot.

14. Post #14
    August 2009
    184 Posts
    This looks neat, but does it handle grip realistically? What about feedback to a suspension? Does it overcome the rotational limits? Does it look natural?
    Its fucking awesome, acceleration and grip from the wheels is great. They are so smooth on take off that they dont even seem like a wheel tool. Grip is incredible as well, i made a little 4x4 chassis and it will try to climb anything. reminds me of the acf engine tanks.

How does this fare with dupe and multiplayer? You forgot to specify those.
    Dupeing works perfectly for me with both advanced dupe and Tbdupe. Sestze says he will add the tool to GGG so we will find out about multiplayer soon i reckon.

15. Post #15
    January 2011
    78 Posts
    I made a video showing how it works, gonna upload it to youtube soon.

16. Post #16
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    tried the wheels out, they're fantastic. only issue is the rotational limit, but that can't really be gotten around

17. Post #17
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    tried the wheels out, they're fantastic. only issue is the rotational limit, but that can't really be gotten around
    By rotational limit do you mean G'mods/sources build in speed limiter?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,521 Posts
    ...But the rotational limit can actually be reached with these wheels while still retaining grip and stability. You should be able to use a few lua codes to increase the speed and angular velocity limits with no problem, though.

19. Post #19
    January 2011
    78 Posts
    Video of my car that uses the tool (wheel powered)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    Video of my car that uses the tool

One Idea to increase handling at high speeds is to use down-force. Put some ailerons on the rear and front wheels, spoilers to put it short. That was something that was impossible with the model wheels as they would just sink into the ground. Now though, you can use down-force with no hitches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    January 2011
    78 Posts
    One Idea to increase handling at high speeds is to use down-force. Put some ailerons on the rear and front wheels, spoilers to put it short. That was something that was impossible with the model wheels as they would just sink into the ground. Now though, you can use down-force with no hitches.
    If I used jalopytire on the front wheels, it would turn almost instantly.

22. Post #22

December 2005
    32 Posts
    And again, you're the one who is solving my problem. This time even without asking :D

@all:
    Any idea how i get customwheels working with this tool?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2011
    78 Posts
    And again, you're the one who is solving my problem. This time even without asking :D

@all:
    Any idea how i get customwheels working with this tool?
    try wire_wheel2_model *modelnamehere*

i dont guarantee that it works but you can try

24. Post #24
    October 2007
    81 Posts

i dont guarantee that it works but you can try
    Works fine, just been having a dick about on a offroad track.

Wheels work good but you'll get ULA errors if you press the use key anywhere near the wheels when you use them on ballsocket chassis.

25. Post #25

December 2005
    32 Posts
    Didn't work for me, tried it with:
    wire_wheel2_model "models\shadowscion\offroad40slim.mdl"
    and
    wire_wheel2_model models\shadowscion\offroad40slim.mdl

Console said "unknown command", same for "wire_wheel_model".

I know there was a file where you could add other wheels for the normal wheel tool but i didn't find it anymore.

26. Post #26
    Oh my god this is so brilliant

Edited:

well it would be if the download worked

the link works but the file is corrupted according to winrar

Edited:

ignore that it it works now, thanks! :buddy:

27. Post #27
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    880 Posts
    Didn't work for me, tried it with:
    wire_wheel2_model "models\shadowscion\offroad40slim.mdl"
    and
    wire_wheel2_model models\shadowscion\offroad40slim.mdl

Console said "unknown command", same for "wire_wheel_model".

I know there was a file where you could add other wheels for the normal wheel tool but i didn't find it anymore.
    use
    Code:
     wheel_model
    instead, that changes it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    fuck it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    No don't bug him. We don't need it in the bloody SVN. Leave him alone, there might be a reason i haven't been able to get through to him. Take away that link so he doesn't get spammed with messages.
    Cant you just be happy with the fact you got a download? and if people want it then they can come here and get it. Sorry, its just you are really taking quite a few liberties here.
    welp, fine, but I for one am sick of wheeled vehicles being capped out at 30mph before a shitload of hop...I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. And it'd suck to go on a server, and have to go back to wheels hopping like fuck.

there's no harm in going "hey, we all really like this tool, it's a welcome remedy to the colossal shit-stain that is source's half-assed method of handling wheels, can we make it so everyone can use it who has wire?" If he says yes, that's great. If he says no, he says no, and we're where we are now.

Course, I snipped. Your quote box still has everything. :3:

31. Post #31
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    Sorry, I do kinda want it spread around. But until i can talk to him about it then it can stay here. People are free to come here and install it. Plus you no longer have to worry about the wheel hop as you have it. I have a bit of a guilt complex you see, and as it's not really mine to distribute im already pretty guilty about it.

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    I do understand that. But I somehow doubt he'd be upset. I'd think most people would consider it an honor.

Edited:

Sharing is caring!

33. Post #33
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    I do understand that. But I somehow doubt he'd be upset. I'd think most people would consider it an honor.

Edited:

Sharing is caring!
    Once i get a hold of him il definitely ask, It's just i don't want his profile bombarded with messages pestering him about it. For the moment i'll keep it uploaded, but once i get his permission then yeah, il put it forwards for the SVN.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    880 Posts
    I just have to point out one tiny detail, it's not so good for rock crawling, since it somehow doesn't handle steeper slopes... I'm not sure where it calculates the wheel grip from, but if it's the bottom of the wheel then that might be the cause.

It doesn't seem like it likes braking too.

35. Post #35
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    I just have to point out one tiny detail, it's not so good for rock crawling, since it somehow doesn't handle steeper slopes... I'm not sure where it calculates the wheel grip from, but if it's the bottom of the wheel then that might be the cause.

It doesn't seem like it likes braking too.
    I've never really had any problems with braking. I used grabbers as brakes.

It doesn't calculate the grip, is spawns a lua drawn sphere which then acts as a model wheel. I'm not sure what the issue with steeps slopes might be. Always been more interested in making maneuverable/fast road/off-road vehicles than rockscrambers. I'm sure there is a work around, Its just everyone is used to normal wheels, its like switching from vinyl to CD. there will be some teething periods. But i think pro's outweigh cons even at this early stage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    March 2007
    40 Posts
    I haven't gotten it to work on any of my vehicles well at all, either the steering sucks and it rolls over or the wheels flop. It seems my building techniques and weights don't work well with this at all so Ill have to re-learn everything.

My friend on the other hand manages to get up steep slopes just the same once he has used physical properties on it, and it doesn't offer more grip (doesn't need to considering normal wheels can do 45 degree slopes) but is really nice and smooth for high speeds. Haven't tested crawling yet but its on the list.

I'm hoping the addon gets picked up and gets updated to make the hitbox a wheel, allow wheels to be spawned without axis so I don't have to spawn them on a prop first, add the race wheels to the model list, make the wheels spawn with the default models weight and also make them spawn with jeep/jalopy tyre physprop material on if possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2008
    516 Posts
    I wish there was a PhysicsInitCylinder instead of a PhysicInitSphere
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    June 2007
    19 Posts
    This is great and all with the no hopping about but it seems to have a serious problem with independent suspension for some reason the vehicle just keeps flipping over sideways.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,521 Posts
    This is great and all with the no hopping about but it seems to have a serious problem with independent suspension for some reason the vehicle just keeps flipping over sideways.
    It's because the "wheels" are being rendered as spheres instead of cylinders, and therefore have no lateral support. Would be nice if some lua king could come over here and take a look at the code, and maybe remake it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    880 Posts
    I'm having no problem getting it to work with the suspension systems I'm already using... so I'm pleased with the excelent high speed driving capabilities.

my concern right now is that when I brake, either locking the wheel thus skidding a really long distance or I'm reversing the engine thus also using a far distance to stop.

I'm hoping the addon gets picked up and gets updated to make the hitbox a wheel, allow wheels to be spawned without axis so I don't have to spawn them on a prop first, add the race wheels to the model list, make the wheels spawn with the default models weight and also make them spawn with jeep/jalopy tyre physprop material on if possible.
    This... having a menu for physical properties and also creating the wheel independently, making it compatible with the rest of the Xeon133 wheels and new offroad wheels. Could also make them nocollide with eachother.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)